Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Really? Cause the part of the internet I'm on, everyone is always falling all over themselves to be the first one to say how Joss Wheedon is lovely and overrated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrooklynBruiser
Aug 20, 2006
e: Dammit, zoux!

raditts posted:

Then again, I don't think Joss Whedon is anywhere near as brilliant of a writer as most of the internet would have you believe.

The "I don't think Joss Whedon is that good" people have outnumbered the "I worship Joss Whedon" people at least two to one for years now, fyi.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

raditts posted:

Neither one is something I feel like I ever need to revisit. Then again, I don't think Joss Whedon is anywhere near as brilliant of a writer as most of the internet would have you believe.

The truth is that both Buffy and Angel were vastly unpopular, low rated shows that only survived because they aired on terrible networks. I know there are a lot of CW apologists on this forum, but very few people overall can stomach the chintzy poo poo CW churns out. As for Whedon, well, he's a lot like JJ Abrams in that he was able to spin one minor success into a career by picking the right projects. Whedon might be good at dialogue and Abrams at producing tv shows, but those competencies don't translate to other aspects of their jobs, like directing and story writing.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I hope we all have a little perspective now that TV Hitler has weighed in on the subject.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
"Chintzy poo poo" is a perfect description of the CW's programming though

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Postal Parcel
Aug 2, 2013

Bown posted:

"Chintzy poo poo" is a perfect description of the CW's programming though

Well, at least their programming isn't only pretty white high school kids with problems anymore. That's a plus right?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

CW is like the Southwest Airlines of TV, they do extremely well at very good value while the bigger "airlines" struggle with legacy costs and trying to do business like it's 1970.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I don't know how some people can not like Gellar but like Boreanez.

His name has Bore in it.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Aphrodite posted:

I don't know how some people can not like Gellar but like Boreanez.

His name has Bore in it.

People are shallow.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Homeland spoilers:
So they finally loving killed off Brody huh?

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

zoux posted:

Homeland spoilers:

About fuckin' time

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Irish Joe posted:

The truth is that both Buffy and Angel were vastly unpopular, low rated shows that only survived because they aired on terrible networks. I know there are a lot of CW apologists on this forum, but very few people overall can stomach the chintzy poo poo CW churns out. As for Whedon, well, he's a lot like JJ Abrams in that he was able to spin one minor success into a career by picking the right projects. Whedon might be good at dialogue and Abrams at producing tv shows, but those competencies don't translate to other aspects of their jobs, like directing and story writing.

You outed yourself on this one too easily, as Whedon's dialogue is abysmal.

(I'm one of the 'Whedon is horribly overrated' people sorry, I'm glad that we're now in the majority though. It's taken too long).

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I wouldn't say majority, I'd say extremely loud nasal-voiced, index finger raised obnoxiously up minority.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

BrooklynBruiser posted:

e: Dammit, zoux!

The "I don't think Joss Whedon is that good" people have outnumbered the "I worship Joss Whedon" people at least two to one for years now, fyi.

Here on the forums, sure, but I know a lot of people elsewhere that worship everything he does. I think the success of The Avengers went a long way in revitalizing that.

raditts fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Dec 16, 2013

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

TV Couch Chat: Please help us properly contextualize the Joss Whedon metadiscussion.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Avengers was good.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

zoux posted:

Avengers was good.

I never said it wasn't.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

It was enjoyable enough, but ultimately disappointing.

EvilTobaccoExec
Dec 22, 2003

Criminals are a superstitious, cowardly lot, so my disguise must be able to strike terror into their hearts!
The Cabin in the Woods owns hard. But I consider that Drew Goddard's movie since he actually directed it and co-wrote too, even though they marketed it with Whedon's name.

You know, I don't think I've ever actually seen anything Whedon has done. Aside from Alien Resurrection. And maybe the Avengers, but I was just sort of half-watching that.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

EvilTobaccoExec posted:

The Cabin in the Woods owns hard. But I consider that Drew Goddard's movie since he actually directed it and co-wrote too, even though they marketed it with Whedon's name.

You know, I don't think I've ever actually seen anything Whedon has done. Aside from Alien Resurrection. And maybe the Avengers, but I was just sort of half-watching that.

Good news for you, Drew Goddard is doing the Netflix Daredevil series.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

EL BROMANCE posted:

Ding ding ding! It felt like I paid to watch a TV pilot in 3D. A great pilot, granted, but still.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Your monthly reminder that Ben Edlund and David Greenwalt deserve a lot of credit for Whedon's work.

EvilTobaccoExec
Dec 22, 2003

Criminals are a superstitious, cowardly lot, so my disguise must be able to strike terror into their hearts!

zoux posted:

Good news for you, Drew Goddard is doing the Netflix Daredevil series.

Nice. Those heroes they picked for the Netflix series already sounded like a good sign, that's just icing on the cake.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Edlund also wrote all the greatest Supernatural comedy episodes.

EvilTobaccoExec posted:

Nice. Those heroes they picked for the Netflix series already sounded like a good sign, that's just icing on the cake.

I qualified it as "for you" because there are people that are irrationally mad about Cabin in the Woods existing.

I thought it was cool and funny and Josh Lyman said gently caress a bunch.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

EL BROMANCE posted:

As critiques go, that's fairly facile.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.

zoux posted:

Homeland spoilers:
Oh good, time to catch up on S3 then.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I watched Cabin in the Woods after everyone said 2 things:

* It's amazing! So so so so good etc
* Don't read up anything about it before you see it, not even the trailer.

The 2nd point I disagree with entirely, because I was doing what I thought was an 'awesome film horror-y double bill' so I watched the brilliant Berberian Sound Studio first, then Cabin to follow it up. I was under the impression, due to those two points, that it was going to be something really special and not a weak comedy, quite pointless dissection of a genre that's self-dissected itself (in many senses of the word) over the years, that essentially made me think I was watching a Scooby Doo tribute. I didn't hold the Whedon-ness against it as I only knew he 'was involved' but wasn't sure to what degree, and was looking forward to it.

Utter disappointment, and that and Avengers are pretty much my main reasonings that Whedon fans are just willing to praise anything the guy puts his name to to a ridiculous degree. I quite liked Dr Horrible's Sing a Long Blog from a bunch of years back though.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Oh look here's one now.

EvilTobaccoExec
Dec 22, 2003

What do you have against Scooby Doo, man?

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
The Avengers is good; Cabin, less so. Cabin is far too nihilistic for my tastes (as are most horror movies).

zoux posted:

Edlund also wrote all the greatest Supernatural comedy episodes.

And the first 12 issues of The Tick, so he's not all bad.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

EL BROMANCE posted:

I watched Cabin in the Woods after everyone said 2 things:

* It's amazing! So so so so good etc
* Don't read up anything about it before you see it, not even the trailer.

The 2nd point I disagree with entirely, because I was doing what I thought was an 'awesome film horror-y double bill' so I watched the brilliant Berberian Sound Studio first, then Cabin to follow it up. I was under the impression, due to those two points, that it was going to be something really special and not a weak comedy, quite pointless dissection of a genre that's self-dissected itself (in many senses of the word) over the years, that essentially made me think I was watching a Scooby Doo tribute. I didn't hold the Whedon-ness against it as I only knew he 'was involved' but wasn't sure to what degree, and was looking forward to it.

Utter disappointment, and that and Avengers are pretty much my main reasonings that Whedon fans are just willing to praise anything the guy puts his name to to a ridiculous degree. I quite liked Dr Horrible's Sing a Long Blog from a bunch of years back though.

OK I thought about this post some more and it made me mad because it's basically "I didn't like this popular mainstream movie I watched after screening a vastly superior and obscure foreign film and I have thusly concluded that people who like Whedon stuff are mindless acritical sheep who knee-jerk like whatever people have done. I liked exactly one thing by this guy so you can't accuse me of having a petty vendetta against this person."

I don't throw around words like pretentious, but I'm gonna do it here.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
Fun fact, Ben Edlund invented Bad Horse and said villain was originally pitched as a bad guy for Angel.

EvilTobaccoExec
Dec 22, 2003

I get where they are coming from. I watched a "Schindler's List" and "Tucker & Dale Verses Evil" double feature, and it was pretty clear that TDVE was a vastly inferior examination of the nature of evil and man's struggle with decency in the face of institutionalized indecency.

I cant believe people liked that movie. Schindler's List is way better imo.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

No pretention whatsoever. Here's example of posts that convinced me to watch the film (they're generally people I know IRL and trust their opinions and I don't hold this against them)

quote:

The Cabin in the Woods is bloody great. However, if you haven't seen it yet and plan to I implore you not to read any reviews or discussion. Even avoid the trailer if you can. It would have been better for me if I didn't have prior knowledge of some of the more unusual plot points.

quote:

I absolutely loved it though. Infinitely better written and performed than most horrors and comedies these days.

quote:

The Cabin in the Woods is incredible. I could tell Joss Whedon was behind it, similar themes to those from Buffy and Angel. I also got a bit of a kick spotting the various Whedonverse alumni popping up.

I had less build up to Berberian (one friend who saw it who said it was really good), and I thought they'd make a good pair.

Even if we can disagree about the writing quality, the performances were abysmal - the only person I remember not being terrible was Bradley Whitford and he wasn't exactly working out of his wheelhouse.

Also is Cabin really mainstream? I wouldn't consider it as such but I don't know (nor particularly care) for the box office numbers, I only remember Whedon fans really talking about it. And Berberian is British and I'm British, so I certainly don't consider it a 'foreign film'.

It wasn't a predisposed dislike of Whedon that made me dislike Cabin, it was my dislike of Cabin that makes me realise that Whedon is not going to appeal to me in most cases regardless of how many people tell me his work is genius.

And I already said in the thread I found Avengers 'enjoyable enough' and I didn't hate what I saw of Buffy. You're reading so much into this it's unreal.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

EvilTobaccoExec posted:

I get where they are coming from. I watched a "Schindler's List" and "Tucker & Dale Verses Evil" double feature, and it was pretty clear that TDVE was a vastly inferior examination of the nature of evil and man's struggle with decency in the face of institutionalized indecency.

I cant believe people liked that movie. Schindler's List is way better imo.

Le mot juste...

I can't believe I'm typing these words but, ahem "Family Guy Spoilers":

So how did they bring him back?

EL BROMANCE posted:

Utter disappointment, and that and Avengers are pretty much my main reasonings that Whedon fans are just willing to praise anything the guy puts his name to to a ridiculous degree.

:confused:

EvilTobaccoExec
Dec 22, 2003

EL BROMANCE posted:

I had less build up to Berberian (one friend who saw it who said it was really good), and I thought they'd make a good pair.

It was your own undoing. I really like both of them, but that was a ridiculous idea.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

It's an enjoyable film that's overhyped to a ridiculous degree. Nothing to be confused about. If I'd enjoyed Cabin somewhat I would've said the same thing about that too, but I didn't.

EvilTobaccoExec posted:

It was your own undoing. I really like both of them, but that was a ridiculous idea.

Ah yes, a ridiculous idea to watch two films together in the same base genre that were both supposedly brilliant and that I'm explicitly told to not read anything more about before watching. Please do tell me how loving exactly this is my fault? Even if I saw it after watching Police Academy 7 I'd hardly be running in here to say how amazing CITW was though.

It's also amazing that when I brought up this same argument to my friends, those who disagreed also relied on putting words into my mouth and not making any actual arguments yet refusing to concede that people have different opinions.

EvilTobaccoExec
Dec 22, 2003

EL BROMANCE posted:

Ah yes, a ridiculous idea to watch two films together in the same base genre that were both supposedly brilliant and that I'm explicitly told to not read anything more about before watching. Please do tell me how loving exactly this is my fault? Even if I saw it after watching Police Academy 7 I'd hardly be running in here to say how amazing CITW was though.

Not the same genre, dummy.

EvilTobaccoExec fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Dec 16, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

The Cabin in the Woods (2012) 95 min - Horror | Mystery | Thriller - 13 April 2012 (UK)
Berberian Sound Studio (2012) 92 min - Drama | Horror | Thriller - 31 August 2012 (UK)

No, I concede... there's absolutely no connection between the genres of these two films whatsoever. You're completely and utterly right, how could I be so stupid?

Your point is moot anyway, as you're saying I couldn't watch, say, Anti-Christ followed by The Evil Dead II and come away enjoying both highly. But I did, because *gasp* they're both great films.

• Locked thread