Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Better would have been Borg assimilated Lore, Lore overpowered the Borg ship through Loreness, Borg cut that ship free, and now there's Lore-Borg trying to expand Lore's consciousness.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
The Matrix Reloaded and The Matrix Revolutions were real bad though, no need for Star Trek to go there.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Farecoal posted:

Also Nechayev was wrong, sorry

Nechayev was right, and if Picard would have done what he was supposed to, trillions of lives throughout the galaxy would have been saved. But I guess it's ok for that many people to die so long as you can feel morally superior.

But then I'm one of the few people who thinks Adama should have genocided the Cylons too, so I guess I'm a bad person :shrug:

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
You're the one, aren't you? The one who works for Section 31. You designed the Changeling virus. It was you!!

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

counterfeitsaint posted:

Nechayev was right, and if Picard would have done what he was supposed to, trillions of lives throughout the galaxy would have been saved. But I guess it's ok for that many people to die so long as you can feel morally superior.

But then I'm one of the few people who thinks Adama should have genocided the Cylons too, so I guess I'm a bad person :shrug:

For me the Cylons are tougher to genocide from a morality standpoint since they're all individuals and each capable of good and evil, so genociding them is actual genocide.

Borg pre-Voyager are just technological locusts that assimilate everything with which they come in contact.

So.. Nechayev was right and you're a bad person. :v:

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

hailthefish posted:

Borg pre-Voyager are just technological locusts that assimilate everything with which they come in contact.

So, Hugh is just a particularly adorable little locust, but 7 of 9 is a special flower of humanity for whom no sacrifice is too great to bring into blossom?

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

1st AD posted:

The Matrix Reloaded and The Matrix Revolutions were real bad though, no need for Star Trek to go there.

One AI trying to take over the whole Matrix for reasons that are never explained wasn't why those movies sucked...

Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

Laughter is the sun that drives winter from the human race

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

Nah, after I, Hugh, the Borg needed to update and get hip for the kids. Get Run DMC in as a trio of hip hop Borg whose individuality expresses itself with sick beats and mad rhymes.

Hip Hop Borg?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hdfuIl4cq_0

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.

Sash! posted:

One AI trying to take over the whole Matrix for reasons that are never explained wasn't why those movies sucked...

Yeah but it was an important one.

crazyvanman
Dec 31, 2010
A while ago someone posted some shots of the TNG where you could read a load of stuff on ship screens that they obviously never thought would get read. Anyone know where I can find these? They were pretty funny.

Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

Okudagrams? There's a few here:

http://www.ex-astris-scientia.org/gallery/displays1.htm

OtherworldlyInvader
Feb 10, 2005

The X-COM project did not deliver the universe's ultimate cup of coffee. You have failed to save the Earth.

Nah, after I, Hugh, the Borg needed to update and get hip for the kids. Get Run DMC in as a trio of hip hop Borg whose individuality expresses itself with sick beats and mad rhymes.

Please. If its anyone it would be everyone's favorite intergalactic hip-hop artists traveling back through time from the 31st century: Deltron Zero, The Cantankerous Captain Aptos, and Skiznoid the Boy Wonder. :colbert:

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

While they're a change in direction, I think that Space Zombie Borg are perfectly fine and really scary. Obviously this does not excuse anything Voyager does with them.

I also have some issues with "They aren't interested in you, they are interested in the ship, your technology. Except their technology is far in advance of yours. And actually there are a bit interested in you. Also now they've decided to take your technology they're also going to enslave you for some reason". TNG Borg aren't really a force of nature - they're the ultimate Space Imperialists, grabbing whatever resources take their fancy and overturning entire civilisations without a second thought in order to service their needs.

A Borg Cube is like a Gunboat showing up at Zanzibar and saying "Give us all your stuff".

crazyvanman
Dec 31, 2010

That's the kind of thing I meant, thanks. I saw some more where there was a mixture of nonsense, in jokes and jokes that they obviously thought we'd never read.

OtherworldlyInvader
Feb 10, 2005

The X-COM project did not deliver the universe's ultimate cup of coffee. You have failed to save the Earth.

The borg would be a hell of a lot creepier if they maintained some semblance of an individual consciousness after being assimilated. Instead of being shambling automatons, they'd still be vaguely recognizable as who they were before but now really convinced this whole borg thing is the greatest and really adamant that you should try it out (you'll like it). That would imply they either have some insidious way of altering thoughts you think of as your own, or that they're actually right. Both options are a hell of a lot more terrifying than being turned into a mindless drone. It also fits more with their theme of adding your biological and technological distinctiveness to their own, if you actually maintain some sort of distinctiveness.

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Remember the Cybermen from Doctor Who?

The Cybermen are a fictional race of cyborgs who are amongst the most persistent enemies of the Doctor in the British science fiction television programme, Doctor Who. Cybermen were originally a wholly organic species of humanoids originating on Earth's twin planet Mondas that began to implant more and more artificial parts into their bodies as a means of self-preservation. This led to the race becoming coldly logical and calculating, with every emotion deleted from their minds.

They weren't mindless, just became very cold and single minded in their pursuit of kicking rear end and kicking everyone else's rear end. You had this cool backstory, a bit like that new Dues Ex game, where cybernetics are incorporated into society and the Cybermen are the endgame if there are no restrictions.

They are individuals though.. transformed beyond recognition.. but still a society of individuals working in concert to achieve their dark plans.

As they are relatively few in number, the Cybermen tend towards covert activity, scheming from hiding and using human pawns or robots to act in their place until they need to appear. They also seek to increase their numbers by converting others into Cybermen (a process known as "cyber-conversion" or "robotisation" in the older episodes and "upgrading" in the newer episodes), an often painful process as body parts are removed and replaced with a cybernetic replacement.

There is not even that many of them, certainly not the zerg rush approach of the Borg and hence the whole thing has an angle of subversion and complexity requiring developed individual minds rather than SWARM THEIR BASE.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

Tony Montana posted:

Remember the Cybermen from Doctor Who?

And then the Doctor beat them that one time by giving them back their human emotions and the pain of being a robot made their heads explode. Which was kind of a dick move.

Iprazochrome
Nov 3, 2008

crazyvanman posted:

A while ago someone posted some shots of the TNG where you could read a load of stuff on ship screens that they obviously never thought would get read. Anyone know where I can find these? They were pretty funny.

Just spend some time surfing Memory Alpha because for some ridiculous reason the editors there have decided all that stuff is canon because it appeared on screen. For example, did you know daffyduckium is an element?

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Jeez Quark looks weird in the pilot.

I haven't watched it since the first time, so I thought I'd visit haired-but-not-bearded-Sisko.

edit: odo and dukat look different too, but it's not as jarring.

edit^2: does Kira have brow-ridges in addition to her nose wrinkle? :stare:

The Bloop fucked around with this message at 15:12 on Dec 16, 2013

Vengeance of Pandas
Sep 8, 2008

THE TERRIBLE POST WENT THATAWAY!
If I remember rightly Quark's nose wasn't quite ready for the pilot so they used a different prosthesis compared to the normal one, I think it's actually Rom's regular nose.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Vengeance of Pandas posted:

If I remember rightly Quark's nose wasn't quite ready for the pilot so they used a different prosthesis compared to the normal one, I think it's actually Rom's regular nose.

I think you're right. Rom was in the background running a dabo wheel, but yeah, Quark has rom's nose.

The only person who looks exactly the same is Morn! :v:

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Also, in the pilot they did not fire a shotgun full of eyeshadow into Quark's face, so his eyes look really weird.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

Trent posted:

Jeez Quark looks weird in the pilot.

I haven't watched it since the first time, so I thought I'd visit haired-but-not-bearded-Sisko.

edit: odo and dukat look different too, but it's not as jarring.

edit^2: does Kira have brow-ridges in addition to her nose wrinkle? :stare:

I love haired-but-not-bearded-Sisko, if you put him next to beard-but-not-haired-Sisko they are like polar opposites and it makes me really happy for some reason.

Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

Shoehead posted:

I love haired-but-not-bearded-Sisko, if you put him next to beard-but-not-haired-Sisko they are like polar opposites and it makes me really happy for some reason.

Over the course of the series, he turns into his own evil twin.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

The wrong Ben Sisko came back from the Mirror Universe that one time.

Sprat Sandwich
Mar 20, 2009

The wrong Ben Sisko came back from the Mirror Universe that one time.

Psych! The Mirror and OG Sisko were actually the same all along!

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I finally got to the part of DS9 where Odo is so busy having weird changeling sex that everyone's plans go completely to poo poo until the last minute, when an almost literal deus ex machina is called out of the wormhole to clean everything up.

It was a really fun run of episodes at the beginning of season 6, but I can't help but feel the ending was just a bit of a copout to get everything back to business as usual. We'll see, I guess.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
Hey this episode had a very cold start... Riker just suddenly snagged his leg and...oh no this is it isn't it?!

Hip-Hoptimus Rhyme
Mar 19, 2009

Gods don't make mistakes

Bicyclops posted:

I finally got to the part of DS9 where Odo is so busy having weird changeling sex that everyone's plans go completely to poo poo until the last minute, when an almost literal deus ex machina is called out of the wormhole to clean everything up.

It was a really fun run of episodes at the beginning of season 6, but I can't help but feel the ending was just a bit of a copout to get everything back to business as usual. We'll see, I guess.

If you were watching Voyager, you'd be right. But you're watching DS9.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Bicyclops posted:

It felt like a cop-out to me the first time I saw it but when you think about it it simply had to be part of a larger overall arc. Rom succeeded, just a second too late. It would have been even simpler to have Rom finish his sabotage on time. Plus the Prophets are at least an established part, if not a well developed part, of the series. I don't think they pulled it off as well as they could have, mostly because of the Prophets being fairly bit players for the entire series, but it couldn't have been something to get the writers out of a corner because there were more than a few other ways to get out of the "corner."

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
Hey remember how I said earlier that I wanted to watch all the Bad Trek as well as the Good Trek. Skipping this clipshow would be cheating!

:suicide:

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Shoehead posted:

Hey this episode had a very cold start... Riker just suddenly snagged his leg and...oh no this is it isn't it?!

I'm not going to lie you are in for some serious bij right now.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

Shoehead, I am going to lie to you. Listen carefully.

This statement is a lie.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Shoehead, I am going to lie to you. Listen carefully.

This statement is a lie.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZuYbDP2kDfg

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

Shoehead posted:

Hey remember how I said earlier that I wanted to watch all the Bad Trek as well as the Good Trek. Skipping this clipshow would be cheating!

I made this decision and after a few more episodes of voyager, skipped to see what the pilot of enterprise was like. Then I fell in love with enterprise and am going to have to finish voyager (I'm up to late season five) before I reward myself with TOS. It's the worst

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Shoehead posted:

:getin:

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

I have a dear friend who is an ardent Voyager apologist. He even posts on these forums. I will not name and shame.

I tried to give it a fair shake for his sake, but the best praise I could muster was that some of the characters were pretty okay if you try to mentally adjust for the bad writing (Tuvok, Janeway, and Paris mostly), and I think if the writing were less bad and more consistent and the dialogue less wooden they would approach "likable."

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Haha, you're IRL mates with Conquistador.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Alchenar posted:

While they're a change in direction, I think that Space Zombie Borg are perfectly fine and really scary. Obviously this does not excuse anything Voyager does with them.

I also have some issues with "They aren't interested in you, they are interested in the ship, your technology. Except their technology is far in advance of yours. And actually there are a bit interested in you. Also now they've decided to take your technology they're also going to enslave you for some reason". TNG Borg aren't really a force of nature - they're the ultimate Space Imperialists, grabbing whatever resources take their fancy and overturning entire civilisations without a second thought in order to service their needs.

A Borg Cube is like a Gunboat showing up at Zanzibar and saying "Give us all your stuff".
I think the main problem with Voyager was how they made the Borg very ineffective at dealing with one small starship. That and the whole dynamic between the Queen who wasn't Alice Krige and Janeway/Seven where for whatever reason the Queen kept putting on kid gloves when dealing with the two of them. She never really threw much of anything at Voyager, despite the ship spending a good chunk of the series in close proximity to Borg space, where you would think they could have two Cubes ready to throw at any problem if they felt like it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

Hip-Hoptimus Rhyme posted:

If you were watching Voyager, you'd be right. But you're watching DS9.

Yeah Voyager would totally forget about the Prophets. Not DS9! They actually explore what it's like to be Space Jesus.

• Locked thread