Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

z0rlandi viSSer
Nov 5, 2013

I can't stand FWSM's and ASA's.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Contingency
Jun 2, 2007

MURDERER
Is the discrepancy the byproduct of an expanded ACL? Sh access-list will break down object groups line by line. I count 17 and a implicit deny on your third image.

KS
Jun 10, 2003
Outrageous Lumpwad
I wish it were that simple. It actually breaks out to 286 lines. For instance, that rule #9 in the picture is one source, 5 destinations, 5 ports, so 25 rules plus the group rule. Oh, and it shows as ACL #17. I know that wasn't clear because of the censorship. My apologies, that was stupid.

e: hitcnt=0 for every rule on the distribute_inside list. Other hitcnts working normally. Weird.

KS fucked around with this message at 07:36 on Dec 13, 2013

KS
Jun 10, 2003
Outrageous Lumpwad
Welp, just figured it out.

There are four ACLs in the config, not two:

access-list Distribute_Outbound_access_in
access-list Distribute_Inbound_access_in
access-list Distribute_outside
access-list Distribute_inside

Then this gem:

access-group Distribute_Inbound_access_in in interface Distribute_inside
access-group Distribute_Outbound_access_in in interface Distribute_outside

:suicide:

ASDM reports interface names instead of access group names, so it was well hidden. Guess that explains the zero hitcounts.

KS fucked around with this message at 07:36 on Dec 13, 2013

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

KS posted:

I’m having a problem with ASDM I’m really hoping someone here can shed some light on. The device is a FWSM in a 6513. It’s running in transparent mode and there are 8 bridge groups in one context (doubt this matters).

I’m trying to do cleanup of a bunch of rules that are no longer used. I’m finding that as I delete them, I can’t delete the associated objects. If I use the “where used” tool, I get this:

That’s ACL as opposed to Access Rules, which is what’s visible from the GUI. Here’s an example of one that shows both:

Note that it is ACL 17, but that distribute_inside list is only 10 rules long according to ASDM:

From the CLI, these mystery ACLs show up when I show access-list, but they don’t appear in show running-config. They all appear to be rules that have existed in the past and were deleted.

I can back these rules out one by one from the CLI, but there are hundreds, and I don’t want to run into this again. Can anyone tell me what’s going on here?

e: Even if I never touch ASDM again (and I'm considering it) about 5 other people will.

This post just gave me a nightmare. I pity you.

sudo rm -rf
Aug 2, 2011

$ mv fullcommunism.sh
/america
$ cd /america
$ ./fullcommunism.sh

Any resources/books you guys can point me to for data center design/infrastructure? It's becoming increasingly likely we're going to be doing a complete rebuild of our four labs that total around 24 racks.

bort
Mar 13, 2003

Argue bitterly and tearfully for colocation. You're likely not in the datacenter business and you probably shouldn't be if you're asking about books on it. Once you're sure capex > opex and the gear has to stay on-site, hire a really solid general contractor who builds datacenters. I don't see that as a DIY project.

ruro
Apr 30, 2003

bort posted:

hire a really solid general contractor who builds datacenters

And keep them around long enough to document and train a competent day to day manager.

sudo rm -rf
Aug 2, 2011

$ mv fullcommunism.sh
/america
$ cd /america
$ ./fullcommunism.sh

I'll be a little more forth-coming - I'm part of a small, specialized team within a 'certain' large IT organization that everyone of you should be very familiar with. Certain infrastructure costs will be heavily-discounted and our purpose is pretty niche (Service Provider Video), so it's not something that can be done off-site.

I'm just a recent college graduate that was brought in to support these labs - I want/need to learn about data center design as much as possible.

Bluecobra
Sep 11, 2001

The Future's So Bright I Gotta Wear Shades

bort posted:

Argue bitterly and tearfully for colocation. You're likely not in the datacenter business and you probably shouldn't be if you're asking about books on it. Once you're sure capex > opex and the gear has to stay on-site, hire a really solid general contractor who builds datacenters. I don't see that as a DIY project.
This x1000. I have wasted so much of my time in the past dealing with A/C emergencies/mechanical issues and other BS. (Good) Colocation facilities are much more hardened and you will rarely have a facilities issue. During Hurricane Sandy, we had zero downtime in Equinix's data center in Secaucus, NJ. You will get much better connectivity options/prices. If you are going to have a footprint that big in a colocation, make sure you DO NOT use the lovely el-cheap cabinets they provide (Equinix, I am looking at you). Instead invest in deep cabinets with cable troughs on each side. Also make sure you have redundant smart PDU's in each cabinet. If it was me, I would run OM3 fiber to each cabinet to MTO/MTP cassettes and connect each ToR switch to the core that way. I would also reserve two cabinets for network gear (one core/distribution switch in each cabinet), patch panels, and cross-connects.

ruro
Apr 30, 2003

Most of DC design is super obvious if you've ever had to support or manage a DC, but if you haven't done it before you'll get caught out on things like air flow design or not running sufficient fibre (run more than you need!). If you are in a large organization do they have any other DCs you can visit? If so is there another group of internal people who can give advice? I think that would be a good place to start.

H.R. Paperstacks
May 1, 2006

This is America
My president is black
and my Lambo is blue
Which part of the DC design are you needing help with? Actual build from a raised floor/power/heating cooling perspective or the logistical "do I go ToR / End of Row / Collapsed Core" perspective?

The former should be handled by a team that has been contracted to do so, the latter depends on the requirements, since one size does not fit all.

sudo rm -rf
Aug 2, 2011

$ mv fullcommunism.sh
/america
$ cd /america
$ ./fullcommunism.sh

The latter stuff.

sudo rm -rf
Aug 2, 2011

$ mv fullcommunism.sh
/america
$ cd /america
$ ./fullcommunism.sh

ruro posted:

Most of DC design is super obvious if you've ever had to support or manage a DC, but if you haven't done it before you'll get caught out on things like air flow design or not running sufficient fibre (run more than you need!). If you are in a large organization do they have any other DCs you can visit? If so is there another group of internal people who can give advice? I think that would be a good place to start.

I'm sure they do. I'm just pretty new and the organization is quite large.

bort
Mar 13, 2003

Ask for a facilities person one level above your position. e: that's still good advice, but I harped on colocating as a non-specialized company here some more because I sometimes post more than I read. :doh:

DC work is such non-technical work but it can get really broad. Even an EE isn't up to it, just naturally. You can do something as silly as underestimating your need for door swing space and totally screw yourself -- and you don't find out until your racks are placed.

My experience running DCs as a regular firm: have fun when the cottonwoods jettison their sexual gunk into your AC intake filter. Enjoy sweating on a rooftop cleaning the unit on the Fourth of July. You also get to sweat on the inside when the electrician has to move the feed to your UPS unit and hope you have enough battery life, or driving through the snow because some VP needs some system rebooted instead of calling and opening a ticket and sending them the ticket number. Generator test during Christmas for Sarbaines Oxley. Finding out some capacitors in your UPS chassis are end of life and not available anymore. Enjoy running a datacenter.

e: and when you finally do hit the big time and build a really nice datacenter, you're confronted with CRAC failover problems, sensor failures, generator transfer switch maintenance, alarms report things like "FIRE CONTROL PREACTION INITIATED" freaking everyone the hell out. The problems are bigger and more expensive when done right, but don't fail. When you do them cheaply, they fail often and inconveniently.

ee:

Bluecobra posted:

I would also reserve two cabinets for network gear (one core/distribution switch in each cabinet), patch panels, and cross-connects.
I can't stress that enough. It's so easy to forget some bulky panels or rear-mounted gear or that the crappy rails on some server someone bought on the cheap won't rack properly with your plan because of the Dell gear above it. Need to be flexible early on, density only comes with rigorous testing. Plan for more than you need unless your planners are really good at it.

Buy racks without using them? Have fun unhooking your PDUs to rack gear, or with your inability to resolve airflow and cabling problems.

bort fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Dec 17, 2013

bort
Mar 13, 2003

sudo rm -rf posted:

The latter stuff.
People will sell you stacking at the ToR, or elsewhere but I'm unconvinced it's such a hot strategy with the software upgrade implications: if you have one large logical switch, it's difficult to swap the software on it.

I conceptually like the stuff Microsoft showed in a Nanog presentation and a relatively recent Packet Pushers: a leaf-and-spine top of rack system with each rack having a BGP AS and a software-based BGP controller peering with and feeding routes to the switch layer.
Nanog PDF
Packet Pushers

That sounds pretty sick to me, since failure convergence is so potentially quick and tunable and the ability to "drain" traffic from a device or a rack is there.

H.R. Paperstacks
May 1, 2006

This is America
My president is black
and my Lambo is blue

bort posted:

People will sell you stacking at the ToR, or elsewhere but I'm unconvinced it's such a hot strategy with the software upgrade implications: if you have one large logical switch, it's difficult to swap the software on it.

I conceptually like the stuff Microsoft showed in a Nanog presentation and a relatively recent Packet Pushers: a leaf-and-spine top of rack system with each rack having a BGP AS and a software-based BGP controller peering with and feeding routes to the switch layer.
Nanog PDF
Packet Pushers

That sounds pretty sick to me, since failure convergence is so potentially quick and tunable and the ability to "drain" traffic from a device or a rack is there.

"quick" is a relative term which is solely based on internal tuning of timers. BGP is not inherently a fast converging protocol for the various and obvious reasons. I'm from the class of "let routers route and switches switch", the moment you start letting systems getting involved in routing protocol decisions, you are asking for trouble because you have systems guys going at it with network guys.

ToR is great given the architecture layout that needs it. In some places, a collapsed 40/100Gb core is better (us for instance, HPC environment). There is no "one size fits all" design, everything is driving by requirements, but ultimately by dollars.

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer

H.R. Paperstacks posted:

ToR is great given the architecture layout that needs it. In some places, a collapsed 40/100Gb core is better (us for instance, HPC environment). There is no "one size fits all" design, everything is driving by requirements, but ultimately by dollars.
Like bort, I am against the stacked ToR, and instead prefer independent ToR switches running cross chassis lacp or etherchannel.

ruro
Apr 30, 2003

adorai posted:

Like bort, I am against the stacked ToR, and instead prefer independent ToR switches running cross chassis lacp or etherchannel.
Personally I like the concept of stacked power/data planes, what I dislike is a single management plane across all the stacked switches. It's great for a user access switch but it makes me nervous in a DC (says the guy with 6500-VSS all over the place).

madsushi
Apr 19, 2009

Baller.
#essereFerrari

adorai posted:

How do your independent ToR switches share the same subnet in this design? How would you multi-home your servers to both switches?

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

So, I'm here on the Meraki webinar today in order to get the free AP. Pretty awesome to find out about it from this thread, which makes me wonder, is there a "free products for webinars/surveys/whatever for 'IT professionals' " here on SA?

And yeah, I know quotation marks shouldn't be nested that way. :eng101:

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

bort posted:

Nanog PDF
Packet Pushers

There are only a few companies in the world that need that kind of scalability. For most datacenters using a nice fast igp like isis/ospf is ideal.

jwh
Jun 12, 2002

Lately we've simply been consolidating our application server farms to blade chassis and dragging bundled 10gbe back to a redundant core. It's certainly easier (if not potentially more expensive) than managing top of rack and panel distribution.

In my experience, horizontally scaling your application platforms is far more important than what you're doing at the individual rack level.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
Yea ideally if you need to powerdown a cluster/rack whatever, you let the application loadbalancer handle that by taking the affected pod out of the VIP resource Pool. Then once there are no no connections, you can do whatever you need to hardware-wise.

No reason to bring BGP etc into it.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
Question. If I have an IPSec tunnel tested and working with the static end point on a connected subnet, is there a reason the tunnel wouldn't come up when the router is no longer on an adjacent subnet?

I ask because the tunnel isn't coming up, but there is a nat boundry in the way, and upon reviewing the config I think I made a mistake.

Specifically this:

code:
crypto map Remote 1 ipsec-isakmp 
 set peer xxy.xyx.xyy.4
 set transform-set Remote 
 match address 172

access-list 172 permit ip 172.18.0.0 0.0.0.15 10.1.10.0 0.0.0.255
access-list 172 permit ip host 172.18.255.1 10.1.10.0 0.0.0.255
ip route 10.1.10.0 255.255.255.0 xxy.xyx.xyy.4
ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 dhcp
I have a static route for 10.1.10.0/24 which is the remote network, pointing to the tunnel end point. The static route is obviously unnecessary, but is it causing any problems for traffic trying to get to 10.1.10.0/24? I don't think Static routes will do recursive lookup for unknown destinations, so that route shouldn't be doing anything, so anything destined for 10.1.10.0/24 (and sourced from 172.18.0.0/28) should be getting encrypted and then heading off to xxy.xyx.xyy.4 by following the default route with no problem.

What do you guys think?

jwh
Jun 12, 2002

Powercrazy posted:

What do you guys think?

I think you should drop the static.

I also think you should switch to gre with tunnel protection ipsec, and stop mucking with crypto maps :)

bort
Mar 13, 2003

jwh posted:

I also think you should switch to gre with tunnel protection ipsec, and stop mucking with crypto maps :)
Isn't that six of one and half-dozen of the other?

ragzilla
Sep 9, 2005
don't ask me, i only work here

bort posted:

No because you don't need matching phase 2 SAs for the inner traffic after getting the GRE tunnel up, all your phase 2 needs to cover are the tunnel endpoints.

falz
Jan 29, 2005

01100110 01100001 01101100 01111010
And then you can have actual interfaces and IGP if you want to. Unless of course you're on an ASA.

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer

madsushi posted:

How do your independent ToR switches share the same subnet in this design? How would you multi-home your servers to both switches?
1) we are all VMware so it's pretty easy
2) we are using nexus switches and utilize virtual port channels

Perhaps I led you to believe that I meant more independence from one another than I actually did.

bort posted:

I realize that there are at times a reason to manually define your phase 2 subnets, but the first time you do it with OSPF over GRE over IPSEC you'll probably question why you had never done it that way before.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

falz posted:

And then you can have actual interfaces and IGP if you want to. Unless of course you're on an ASA.

Ding, Ding.

Anyway I think it's a NAT device that is breaking it. I've sent the router out, and it will automatically try to reach 10.1.10.200 establishing the IPSec tunnel. Obviously I don't have direct access anymore until this starts working so I'm not positive what the remote end is seeing. The interesting traffic is sourced from an SVI that has a 1424 MTU, so hopefully it's not fragmenting/dropping the ipsec packets or anything esoteric like that. I'll probably have to muck about with the provider equipment and force it to stop blocking/redirecting/screwing with packets coming from/to this device.

jwh
Jun 12, 2002

I would stop with the arcane vagaries of crypto maps and find something more malleable. Not a criticism, just speaking from my own experience. I hate vpns. But if you have to live with them, make your life easier.

(Ditch those ASAs)

bort
Mar 13, 2003

jwh posted:

(Ditch those ASAs)
As rarely as this applies to Cisco, it's awfully hard to argue with cheap.

falz
Jan 29, 2005

If you want cheap + tunnels + likely acceptable performance, c3825 is $200.

inignot
Sep 1, 2003

WWBCD?
Routers for site to site tunnels, ASAs for client based vpns has been the conventional wisdom for a while (within the Cisco product line that is).

Voltage
Sep 4, 2004

MALT LIQUOR!
This poo poo is driving me crazy - running a cisco asa 5510 8.4(3) trying to do a twice nat so that when traffic originating from local servers on our 10.157.120.0/28 network (a vlan) tries to go over an IPsec tunnel, that IP range translates to the 192.168.151.0/28 network so it can hit servers on the other end of the tunnel which are on a 192.168.151.16/28 network

I have set up a million tunnels on ASA's and I never have to have my source IP's nat to a different range. The customer I am dealing with can only allocate IP's on this 192.168.151.x network so I split it up in to two subnets to avoid a conflict.

Cisco packet tracer says the tunnel is up and my IP's are getting properly translated but when I look at the packet capture, it does not show the IP's being translated

Can't ping/telnet/etc to their end - attached a packet capture.

I'm a bit stuck - shouldn't the server hit the firewall, get translated to the new IP and then boost off to the tunnel?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Contingency
Jun 2, 2007

MURDERER

Voltage posted:

This poo poo is driving me crazy - running a cisco asa 5510 8.4(3) trying to do a twice nat so that when traffic originating from local servers on our 10.157.120.0/28 network (a vlan) tries to go over an IPsec tunnel, that IP range translates to the 192.168.151.0/28 network so it can hit servers on the other end of the tunnel which are on a 192.168.151.16/28 network

I have set up a million tunnels on ASA's and I never have to have my source IP's nat to a different range. The customer I am dealing with can only allocate IP's on this 192.168.151.x network so I split it up in to two subnets to avoid a conflict.

Cisco packet tracer says the tunnel is up and my IP's are getting properly translated but when I look at the packet capture, it does not show the IP's being translated

Can't ping/telnet/etc to their end - attached a packet capture.

I'm a bit stuck - shouldn't the server hit the firewall, get translated to the new IP and then boost off to the tunnel?

My customers have to go through a similar hassle to establish a VPN with us. I've only set this up on 8.2, but the principles are probably the same. The ASA uses a crypto ACL to determine whether to send traffic through the VPN. In your scenario, the crypto ACL would be defined as post-NAT source network (192.168.151.0/28) to destination network (192.168.151.16/28).

What to look for with packet-tracer:

1. Is this traffic even being forwarded through the VPN? Without a VPN phase subtype: encrypt, the answer is no.
2. Is this traffic being NAT'd properly? It is not enough to see the appropriate NAT statement referenced, as the output will happily display the NAT statement right after a NAT-exempt statement that bypasses subsequent NAT statements.

You can also use sh ipsec sa peer x.x.x.x to confirm traffic is at least being sent through the VPN (the tunnel being up is not enough if keepalives are enabled). Packet capture will not show encrypted egress traffic, but what you can do is set up a capture on the outside interface with VPN peers as respective source and destination IPs, and match packets to ping request and replies.

AtmaHorizon
Apr 3, 2012
Today I migrated CISCO881W from "c880data-universalk9-mz.150-1.M7.bin" to "c880data-universalk9-mz.154-1.T.bin" IOS and to much of my surprise, remote access was lost.

After connecting with my trusty console cable I noticed that "transport input none" has appeared under vty lines.
So just a heads up for anyone doing remote upgrade to this ios version.

Has anyone else seen this behaviour?

falz
Jan 29, 2005

What was there before? nothing, or `transport input ssh`?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AtmaHorizon
Apr 3, 2012

falz posted:

What was there before? nothing, or `transport input ssh`?

nothing