Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"
Actually the smuggest Mac writing app is Ulysses.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

How can LaTeX not be the smuggest?

“So you wrote your [ paper | report | essay | book ] huh…? Well, I programmed mine.” :smuggo:

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

You marked it up.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

carry on then posted:

You marked it up.

It's turing complete. That's all that matters (and it lets you be smug about calling turing complete to boot).

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Is OS X pretty seamless when you have a retina display and a non retina external display at the same time? No strange behaviors?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

fleshweasel posted:

Is OS X pretty seamless when you have a retina display and a non retina external display at the same time? No strange behaviors?

Unless you have a window that spans both

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

Bob Morales posted:

Unless you have a window that spans both

Can you even have a window spanning two monitors in Mavericks?

crazysim
May 23, 2004
I AM SOOOOO GAY
If you have the separate spaces per display option on, you can't span anyway (Mavericks). If it's off, the display with the most area of the window determines if that window is rendered in retina or Non-retina mode.

Point is, yeah, it's seamless.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep
I use a retina Macbook with an external attached everyday. Its completely fine except that over time you will begin to hate the external monitor for not being a retina display.

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed
Not really over time. It took me at most a week from when I got my rMBP to go from loving my U2410 to hating it.

Vinlaen
Feb 19, 2008

I posted this a few pages back, but I'm just about ready to place my order and I'm hoping to get a few more last-minute opinions ...

I'm thinking about ordering a 13" rMBP but I'm also thinking about the 13" MacBook Air.

The prices are extremely close so that's not an issue. (I'm looking at the 8 GB RAM, 256 GB SSD models)

I'm going to use the laptop almost exclusively at home (on the couch or dining room table). My "main" PC is downstairs in the basement when I need it.

The purpose of this laptop is to use on the couch when my kids are watching TV and I'd also like to play very, very light games like Terraria, Team Fortress 2, and other light gaming.

My biggest concern is that I'll need to use scaled resolutions (1280x800, etc) when playing certain games so I get a decent framerate, but I don't want it to look blurry or have a big performance penalty for scaling.

I'm also concerned about other non-retina content and Bootcamp ...

Can anybody give me any last-minute advice before I order anything?

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

8ender posted:

I use a retina Macbook with an external attached everyday. Its completely fine except that over time you will begin to hate the external monitor for not being a retina display.

Just started with a 13-inch Retina hooked up to a decently priced Asus monitor, and it's like someone punched me in the right eye because my rMBP is on the left side. Thinking about one of those super de duper Dell or no name Koreans.

ambushsabre
Sep 1, 2009

It's...it's not shutting down!

Vinlaen posted:

I posted this a few pages back, but I'm just about ready to place my order and I'm hoping to get a few more last-minute opinions ...

I'm thinking about ordering a 13" rMBP but I'm also thinking about the 13" MacBook Air.

The prices are extremely close so that's not an issue. (I'm looking at the 8 GB RAM, 256 GB SSD models)

I'm going to use the laptop almost exclusively at home (on the couch or dining room table). My "main" PC is downstairs in the basement when I need it.

The purpose of this laptop is to use on the couch when my kids are watching TV and I'd also like to play very, very light games like Terraria, Team Fortress 2, and other light gaming.

My biggest concern is that I'll need to use scaled resolutions (1280x800, etc) when playing certain games so I get a decent framerate, but I don't want it to look blurry or have a big performance penalty for scaling.

I'm also concerned about other non-retina content and Bootcamp ...

Can anybody give me any last-minute advice before I order anything?

I have the new retina 13" rMBP, and I play csgo, dota, and pretty much the same games you do with no trouble, but you have to run it scaled (don't worry, it looks fine though). I doubt the air could do the same, just from a pure-performance perspective.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Binary Badger posted:

Just started with a 13-inch Retina hooked up to a decently priced Asus monitor, and it's like someone punched me in the right eye because my rMBP is on the left side. Thinking about one of those super de duper Dell or no name Koreans.

I'm eyeing a 24" 4k UltraSharp as soon as they make it over here.

My PIN is 4826
Aug 30, 2003

What's the easiest way to cut your ties with exchange as an os x user? I'm about to graduate, and my exchange account with the university has my calendar data from 2008 on it. Can I move it to iCloud in some quick and painless way? Being able to look back for when I've been where is kind of an important thing for me :(

Mail isn't that big of a deal, but it'd be nice to have some searchable archive...

edit: i meant os x, not ios! :downs:

My PIN is 4826 fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Dec 16, 2013

wolffenstein
Aug 2, 2002

Pork Pro

My PIN is 4826 posted:

What's the easiest way to cut your ties with exchange as an os x user? I'm about to graduate, and my exchange account with the university has my calendar data from 2008 on it. Can I move it to iCloud in some quick and painless way? Being able to look back for when I've been where is kind of an important thing for me :(

Mail isn't that big of a deal, but it'd be nice to have some searchable archive...

edit: i meant os x, not ios! :downs:

Calendar has an export function. Play with that. For Mail, either move your messages to a local folder or another email account.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Find a PC and dump everything into a PST file to buy you some time. I think you can then open that PST in Outlook add it all back to an Outlook.com account.

My PIN is 4826
Aug 30, 2003

wolffenstein posted:

Calendar has an export function. Play with that. For Mail, either move your messages to a local folder or another email account.

Oh, so I can just drag and drop? I had totally overlooked that possibility because you know, everything about email has to be complicated and nothing ever works as I want it to :shobon:

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice
I'm going to swap out my MBP's optical drive for an SSD. Right now I have the SSD but not the drive caddy (3-5 day wait), but I have plenty of time tonight and not much more later this week. If I install Mavericks onto the SSD while its external and then plonk it into the caddy, will I cause myself problems?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

ineptmule posted:

If I install Mavericks onto the SSD while its external and then plonk it into the caddy, will I cause myself problems?
Nope, it will work fine. Make sure you reset the SMC or re-choose your startup disk after you install the drive internally - sometimes you'll introduce a big delay when booting.

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice

Bob Morales posted:

Nope, it will work fine. Make sure you reset the SMC or re-choose your startup disk after you install the drive internally - sometimes you'll introduce a big delay when booting.

Awesome, thank you.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, I'm not sure where I read it or whether it matters, but I decided to put my SSD in the regular HDD bay to boot and put the storage HDD in the optibay space.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

10.9.1 is out.

quote:

The update includes the following fixes:
- Improved support for Gmail in OS X Mail, and fixes for users with custom Gmail settings
- Improves the reliability of Smart Mailboxes and search in Mail
- Fixes an issue that prevented contact groups from working properly in Mail
- Resolves an issue that prevented VoiceOver from speaking sentences that contain emoji
- Updates Shared Links periodically when open in the Safari Sidebar

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Did they fix the 'kernel_task' battery issue that people won't shut up about on Macrumors?

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Nice catch, but there's a separate version for Retina Display Late 2013 MacBook Pros.

http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1712

Apple posted:

OS X Mavericks 10.9.1 Update for MacBook Pro with Retina Display (Late 2013)

This update is recommended for all 13-inch and 15-inch MacBook Pro with Retina Display (Late 2013) systems. It includes all updates from OS X Mavericks 10.9.1 plus system specific enhancements to improve the stability and compatibility of your Mac.

Improved support for Gmail in OS X Mail, and fixes for users with custom Gmail settings
Improves the reliability of Smart Mailboxes and search in Mail
Fixes an issue that prevented contact groups from working properly in Mail
Resolves an issue that prevented VoiceOver from speaking sentences that contain emoji
Updates Shared Links periodically when open in the Safari Sidebar

Most likely updated graphics drivers for Iris 5100 / 5200 and nVidia GeForce GT 750M.

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Dec 16, 2013

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

fleshweasel posted:

Yeah, I'm not sure where I read it or whether it matters, but I decided to put my SSD in the regular HDD bay to boot and put the storage HDD in the optibay space.

I read this somewhere too, but can't remember where. Something about OSX always looking in that bay first for a bootable drive.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

So, since I'm a giant sperg when it comes to system updates, I saved a screen cap of the Apple Intel graphic driver extension listings. Here's what changed:

AppleHDA went from v.2.5.2 to 2.5.3. That's the system audio driver, so maybe they patched up some sound errors.

AppleIntelHD4000Graphics.kext went from: 8.20.26 to 8.20.29
AppleIntelHD4000GraphicsGLDriver.bundle went from: 8.20.26 to 8.20.29
AppleIntelHD4000GraphicsVADriver.bundle went from: 8.20.26 to 8.20.29
AppleIntelHD5000Graphics.kext went from: 8.20.26 to 8.20.29
AppleIntelHD5000GraphicsGLDriver.bundle went from: 8.20.26 to 8.20.29
AppleIntelHD5000GraphicsVADriver.bundle went from: 8.20.26 to 8.20.29
AppleIntelHSWVA.bundle went from: 8.20.26 to 8.20.29
AppleIntelVBVA.bundle went from: 8.20.26 to 8.20.29

Amazing that Intel actually went and updated their drivers for the HD 4000 and 5000 (Iris) chips. Noted they did jack poo poo for their 3000 drivers, but none of the AMD drivers were updated either.

Edit: Note that this is with the Retina Display Late 2013 version of 10.9.1. Guess they didn't have the time to roll the drivers into the regular 10.9.1 update?

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Dec 17, 2013

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull
The identical version numbers for HD 4000 and 5000 suggests the drivers are built from the same source, which is good news for HD4K long term support. Not unheard of for two generations of GPU to be similar enough to share most of the driver.

HD3000 is left out in the cold, alas. I know of a significant bug and at this point doesn't look like it'll ever be fixed. Had my hopes up when Mavericks shipped with a bump to the HD3K driver version but nope, still there.

(Avoidance strategy for said bug: reboot at least once a week. It's a hang which never shows up (for me anyways) before a week plus of uptime.)

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
So what's the bug exactly?

My PIN is 4826
Aug 30, 2003

I hope it's for the little flicker of horizontal lines that appears every time I switch between user accounts...

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

I'm no longer getting an occasional split second beachball on my new 13" rMPB, so I'm pleased so far.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull
Japtor, if that was a question for me, the hd 3000 bug I know of is a hang. I never tracked down a reliable way to reproduce on demand so I don't know a specific trigger other than long uptime and heavy use. When it happens the machine will freeze for 10 to 15 seconds, and then the video driver re-inits and the system is semi usable again. However it's only semi usable, from then on the hang will retrigger on just about any little thing, such as opening or closing windows. If you're patient you can cleanly reboot, just takes a long time to quit apps since closing windows triggers so many hangs.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

BobHoward posted:

HD3000 is left out in the cold, alas. I know of a significant bug and at this point doesn't look like it'll ever be fixed. Had my hopes up when Mavericks shipped with a bump to the HD3K driver version but nope, still there.

Yeah, that's called 'Intel doesn't give a poo poo about their older chips,' business as usual from them. That's part of the reason why I still feel a little wary of having an Intel GPU, maybe it'll be a favored child for another year or so, and they'll abandon the Iris 5100 like a child covered in ebola when they get to their Iris 7000 series or so.

Edit: Still, it's kinda better than when MacBooks and Minis had to suffer with GMA 950 chips for nearly six years straight with only enough patches to fool the system that it could at least do OpenGL 1.1.

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 14:55 on Dec 17, 2013

lol internet.
Sep 4, 2007
the internet makes you stupid
Wife looking to create a fancy slideshow of photos with background music. Can iPhoto or iMovie do this easily?

wolffenstein
Aug 2, 2002

Pork Pro
iPhoto can. You can even export it as a movie and throw it on YouTube.

tirinal
Feb 5, 2007
Is there a way through third-party software or whatever to get 'hold right click' gesture functionality from the touchpad?

There's gestures for 'right click' by tapping two fingers and 'hold left click' by dragging three, but I basically want a right click version of the latter.

Gribble
Nov 16, 2005
I have a question that I hope is easy to answer (although my research hasn't produced one). I have a Mac Pro that I use and connect to frequently, but because of its physical placement, that's often very inconvenient. I'd like to find the cheapest, easiest, hardware that will allow me to connect overnWiFi to the Pro's native Screen Sharing functionality; the main reason is that Screen Sharing's latency is unnoticeable when contrasted with Splashtop, Screens, etc. in this second location I would include a recess keyboard and mouse as well.

I've seen this done in a pro environment with Mac Mini -> Pro, but at the price I may as well buy yet another computer. All I need is something I can hook up to HDMI (or a similar port) that will allow me to use native OS X Screen Sharing. If anyone has a thought, I'd really appreciate it!

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice

fleshweasel posted:

I doubt there's much in it, but I had people recommend that I put the HDD in the usual bay, as it has "better sound proofing and sudden shock protection" and the SSD in the optical.

The main reason I want to do it like this is so I don't have to faff around with moving a drive from one bay to the other.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Gribble posted:

I have a question that I hope is easy to answer (although my research hasn't produced one). I have a Mac Pro that I use and connect to frequently, but because of its physical placement, that's often very inconvenient. I'd like to find the cheapest, easiest, hardware that will allow me to connect overnWiFi to the Pro's native Screen Sharing functionality; the main reason is that Screen Sharing's latency is unnoticeable when contrasted with Splashtop, Screens, etc. in this second location I would include a recess keyboard and mouse as well.

I've seen this done in a pro environment with Mac Mini -> Pro, but at the price I may as well buy yet another computer. All I need is something I can hook up to HDMI (or a similar port) that will allow me to use native OS X Screen Sharing. If anyone has a thought, I'd really appreciate it!
Screen Sharing and ARD are the only things that use the magic fast renderer afaik, so if you really really need that another Mac (or hackintosh) might be your only choice. And not sure if it matters, but keep in mind there's no audio transmission. Looking on eBay it looks like you can get a 2009 Mac mini (supported under Mavericks) for $300ish.

Depending on the setup another option might be a long rear end video cable (whether native or with a balun adapter for longer distances). Not sure how mouse/keyboard input would be handled although BT could be an option if close enough, or there might be USB extenders/baluns. Or I guess trackpad control app on an iPod touch or something, and keyboard through that (but not ideal since not all modifiers/shortcuts go through properly all the time). This won't work if you intend to use Screen Sharing for simultaneous multiple users though.

Another option would be AirPlay + AppleTV for video/audio but those Mac Pros don't support it (...new MPs don't have QuickSync hardware either, but I'm guessing it'll use the AMD GPUs for encode). And you'd still need something for mouse/keyboard. Also won't work if you need simultaneous multiuser. (On a side note, a screen sharing client for AppleTV would be nice considering it already supports Bluetooth hardware itself, it'd be like a really thin thin client!).

tl;dr get an old Mac mini if you really really need native Screen Sharing.

What's your intended use exactly, like why this particular setup?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DarkestLite
Feb 27, 2007

"Can we fix it?"
"No, it's fucked."
Does anyone have an issue with streaming ESPN on Safari? I have a new Retina MBP that's less than two weeks old and I can't get WatchESPN working at all. I've tried it on their main site, in which clicking play does literally nothing, and I've tried it through Comcast's website, in which I get an infinite waiting "Starting Playback" screen. Actually, it's looking like nothing is working streaming-wise from Comcast. I'm not getting any kind of "missing plugin" error, just nothing is loading.

In about 20 minutes when I get home from work, I'll try installing Chrome to see if it works on that, but, I'd really like to just stick with Safari at this point. Not a fan of clutter.

Ninja Edit: I've been able to use Netflix, Plex, HBOGo, and Hulu without an issue. Showtime Anytime seems to be not playing either, despite installing a plugin called "Wildvine" for it.

Edit #2: WatchESPN, Comcast Xfinity Streaming, and Showtime Anytime all seem to work swimmingly on Chrome. Chrome also seems to absolutely kill my battery life, so theres another reason to stick with Safari. Anyone got any ideas?

DarkestLite fucked around with this message at 15:57 on Dec 17, 2013