Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

A checksum is a hash value for a block of data, it's basically used to confirm that two people have the exact same version of the game and datafiles. So as long as the checksum matches, two people should be able to play multiplayer with each other.

It's important because some mods effect it (like ones that alter gameplay) and some mods don't (like ones that just alter graphics/music).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Oh ok, no worries for just playing vanilla then.

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown
Does anyone have a suggestion for a starting location for "It's Better to be Emperor"? I seem to be unable to pick a count with the wherewithal to pursue a bloody genocidal campaign.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Mayor Dave posted:

Does anyone have a suggestion for a starting location for "It's Better to be Emperor"? I seem to be unable to pick a count with the wherewithal to pursue a bloody genocidal campaign.

Your one day too late for Nantes.

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

I have two adult sons and my highest titles are duke level: Petty Kingdom of Tara and Duchy of Leinster. My succession law is Agnatic-Cognatic Elective. I have two adult sons and want to nominate the younger son to be my heir. Both sons are barons of a single city. When I went to nominate an heir, neither son appeared as a choice. I granted the younger son a county as well, but I still couldn't nominate him. So then I revoked his city, leaving him with only the county, and now he can be nominated. Why is this? Cities aren't allowed?

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Parallax Scroll posted:

I have two adult sons and my highest titles are duke level: Petty Kingdom of Tara and Duchy of Leinster. My succession law is Agnatic-Cognatic Elective. I have two adult sons and want to nominate the younger son to be my heir. Both sons are barons of a single city. When I went to nominate an heir, neither son appeared as a choice. I granted the younger son a county as well, but I still couldn't nominate him. So then I revoked his city, leaving him with only the county, and now he can be nominated. Why is this? Cities aren't allowed?

Exactly. Being mayors disqualified them from succession, seeing as they are no longer proper feudal lords. Give them castles or don't land them, the prestige penalty is not that big.

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

Mayor Dave posted:

Any where in the HRE really, just need to get to duke level and then bribe your way to the kaisers comfy chair.

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

Torrannor posted:

Exactly. Being mayors disqualified them from succession, seeing as they are no longer proper feudal lords. Give them castles or don't land them, the prestige penalty is not that big.

Thanks. Is Diplomacy the most important stat for your ruler? That's why I chose the younger son.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Parallax Scroll posted:

Thanks. Is Diplomacy the most important stat for your ruler? That's why I chose the younger son.

You could make a case for martial or stewardship in certain situations, but generally diplomacy is the best.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

The Moon Monster posted:

You could make a case for martial or stewardship in certain situations, but generally diplomacy is the best.

Intrigue can be hugely profitable if you are a rather small vassal in a big kingdom or empire, if you play a count in the HRE you will probably get more out of careful plotting than out of a high diplomacy stat. And if you have a secure realm without serious external or internal threats, it can be very advantageous to have a high learning stat to open up a tech lead. And if your realm is small it is probably better to have a high stewardship or a high martial stat.

Caufman
May 7, 2007

Mayor Dave posted:

I started in Lancaster, Old Gods, and got "It's Better to be Emperor" through making Britannia. Britain seemed easy because the continent generally left me alone while I expanded the borders until I got the requisite 80%.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Mayor Dave posted:

I got it doing Ireland start to unite the 4 kingdoms, 3 generations in, so I'm fairly sure that you don't need to be a single character.

Hambilderberglar
Dec 2, 2004

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

What is a checksum and why did Paradox put it in the title of their thread about the patch?
Checksums need to match between multiplayer participants and certain edits to game files change the checksum. It's included so players can easily figure out whether or not they have a "clean" install I think.
E: beaten, should have refreshed, durrr

hellsjudge
May 13, 2010

Parallax Scroll posted:

I want to nominate a successor. Why are neither of my sons choices for who to nominate?

Make sure they're not inheriting a city or bishopric, my tailored heir was ruined in my current game when he was set to inherit a Grand City :(

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

hellsjudge posted:

Make sure they're not inheriting a city or bishopric, my tailored heir was ruined in my current game when he was set to inherit a Grand City :(

So if I currently own 2 duchies, 3 counties, and a city, and my 2nd son is elected to inherit everything, it'll gently caress up succession? Should I get rid of the city before I die?

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

Is there a mod that just fixes decadence?

Edison was a dick
Apr 3, 2010

direct current :roboluv: only

Mayor Dave posted:

Pick Harald Fairhair's scheming uncle. 50% of my games have ended up with him assassinating Harald, the other 50% either have the uncle lose a faction and be executed, or Harald plots to revoke the uncle's County.

It's a roll of the dice as to whether it'll work, due to random stats and courtiers, but the last time I started, I have 150% plot power immediately, after which you get the Duchy and you can use the ambition to be king of Norway to repeatedly use the Subjugation CB to get the rest of the way there.

You should have one more subjugation after that, which I recommend going straight for Sweden with, since they tend to blob up to kingdom level quickly, and if you can get there first, you don't have to worry too much about gavelkind. Also, the alternative would be Denmark, which depending on how well the war against Ælla went, you could end up having to fight all the sons of Lodbrok.

You should have enough momentum at this point to do County conquests on Finland, while fabricating against Denmark.

Don't create duchies, you need to save up gold and uncreated duchies to have enough prestige and loyal dukes when your King dies, since he starts out pretty old; but this is often a blessing, since it allows you another subjugation of Denmark.

Try to take the Norse holy site in Holland when possible, it's nearly impossible to reform with only 3, since lose 1 holy war and you need a hell of a lot of raiding and county conquests to come back from that. If the Karlings implode for long enough, try to take the holy site in Brunswick.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

Parallax Scroll posted:

So if I currently own 2 duchies, 3 counties, and a city, and my 2nd son is elected to inherit everything, it'll gently caress up succession? Should I get rid of the city before I die?

You probably shouldn't be holding cities at all, unless you're a merchant prince. (In which case you wouldn't be able to nominate successors.) You get a pretty large penalty for holdings of the wrong type - i.e., anything but castles, for Christian lords. Better to spawn vassals to hold cities & bishoprics for you.

Unless you're going Maximum North Korea, but that's a pretty silly & gimmicky playstyle.

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

PleasingFungus posted:

You probably shouldn't be holding cities at all, unless you're a merchant prince. (In which case you wouldn't be able to nominate successors.) You get a pretty large penalty for holdings of the wrong type - i.e., anything but castles, for Christian lords. Better to spawn vassals to hold cities & bishoprics for you.

Unless you're going Maximum North Korea, but that's a pretty silly & gimmicky playstyle.

I usually let the pope pick the bishops. Should I be picking them? Who would I pick?

Edit: I'm about to be king of Ireland.

a shiny rock fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Dec 17, 2013

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

PleasingFungus posted:

I've never actually tried that playstyle, is it viable?

ThisIsNoZaku
Apr 22, 2013

Pew Pew Pew!

Parallax Scroll posted:

I usually let the pope pick the bishops. Should I be picking them? Who would I pick?

You should be picking, and you pick your friends. If religious vassals like you more than their religious head, then they give you their taxes and levies instead of him.

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

dogstile posted:

Unless you reform a religion that generates a vassal head then yeah, you have no vassals to bitch at you for being over holding limit or wrong type, you get poo poo income and troop numbers so its no where near a pro strat just a gimmick.

Obliterati
Nov 13, 2012

Pain is inevitable.
Suffering is optional.
Thunderdome is forever.

Parallax Scroll posted:

It will also disinherit your sons (think you can't do it for your heir though) which can help with Gavelkind management.

CaptCommy
Aug 13, 2012

The fool doth think he is wise, but the wise man knows himself to be a goat.
This may be a really dumb question, but how do you pick a bishop? I've always just let that happen automatically, didn't know I could do it myself.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

After like 120 years on the throne my Vampire King finally lost the Content trait so I've been able to start Warlording. The Empire of Tamriel will be reunited!

FeculentWizardTits
Aug 31, 2001

CaptCommy posted:

This may be a really dumb question, but how do you pick a bishop? I've always just let that happen automatically, didn't know I could do it myself.

If you click the religion button it'll bring up a list of your vassal bishops and the option to designate their successors. You could also revoke that bishop's title and give it to someone else if you need to do it right then and there for whatever reason.

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

Okay, do I need any specific type of person to make into a bishop? Should I get someone with high Learning?

grancheater
May 1, 2013

Wine'em, dine'em, 69'em

dogstile posted:

It's pretty hard when you're small, but it becomes easier the larger you are since there's a cap on the penalties:

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

I love Charlie from Busted!
High learning would vaguely help get him elected to the college of cardinals, but the gain is marginal at best and largely irrelevant if you're not Italian. Just nominate whoever you want, frankly. I never bother unless I'm specifically trying to disqualify people from inheritance. The game will auto-generate someone to fill the gap if you don't specify someone, and they'll always have a learning education, so if your current court chaplain sucks then that's likely your best bet of getting a better one.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

grancheater posted:

It's pretty hard when you're small, but it becomes easier the larger you are since there's a cap on the penalties:

Estonia Stronk!

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Mayor Dave posted:

Any Muslim count in 1066 Spain.

Or just a good old Irish count in 1066. You don't have to do the whole achievement in one lifetime, just start as a count and form an empire at some point.

Cease to Hope fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Dec 17, 2013

DrPop
Aug 22, 2004

I know I ask this question relatively frequently, so apologies in advance, but I finally just bought SoA and will probably be playing this for the first time in two months soon. What's the status of CK2+? Did they make that awful "real names" mod optional and iron out the issues with some of the haphazardly-included mods to make it fun and challenging again?

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

Edison was a dick posted:

Pick Harald Fairhair's scheming uncle. 50% of my games have ended up with him assassinating Harald, the other 50% either have the uncle lose a faction and be executed, or Harald plots to revoke the uncle's County.

It's a roll of the dice as to whether it'll work, due to random stats and courtiers, but the last time I started, I have 150% plot power immediately, after which you get the Duchy and you can use the ambition to be king of Norway to repeatedly use the Subjugation CB to get the rest of the way there.

You should have one more subjugation after that, which I recommend going straight for Sweden with, since they tend to blob up to kingdom level quickly, and if you can get there first, you don't have to worry too much about gavelkind. Also, the alternative would be Denmark, which depending on how well the war against Ælla went, you could end up having to fight all the sons of Lodbrok.

You should have enough momentum at this point to do County conquests on Finland, while fabricating against Denmark.

Don't create duchies, you need to save up gold and uncreated duchies to have enough prestige and loyal dukes when your King dies, since he starts out pretty old; but this is often a blessing, since it allows you another subjugation of Denmark.

Try to take the Norse holy site in Holland when possible, it's nearly impossible to reform with only 3, since lose 1 holy war and you need a hell of a lot of raiding and county conquests to come back from that. If the Karlings implode for long enough, try to take the holy site in Brunswick.

Thanks, I'll give this a try!

hellsjudge
May 13, 2010

Cease to Hope posted:

Any Muslim count in 1066 Spain.

Or just a good old Irish count in 1066. You don't have to do the whole achievement in one lifetime, just start as a count and form an empire at some point.

Don't know if it's this easy to do it or because I used ruler designer, but I picked a count in France in 867 and made it to king of Aquitaine by the end of my lifespan thanks to plotting and factions to become duke and king, so getting to an empire from there only took a couple more years if you want to try that.

Stevefin
Sep 30, 2013

The starting gold increase for the Jewish kingdom is nice, don't get stomped in the start. expect if the Magyars succeed in their campaign, but don't take enough to form Hungary, they very quickly turn to the jewish as a punching bag to fill the peace time, and since they start with an army of great military leaders, your going to blow that 1000 gold on every mercenary you can find

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Mayor Dave posted:

Thanks, I'll give this a try!

Wouldn't the optimal strategy as Harald's uncle be to get yourself killed?
Still, if your not limited to one lifetime Nantes is definitely viable. I don't think this still works after the event troop nerf but what I did was:
    Beat up Fairhair since you can't vassalize him.
    Take Hamburg from the Karlings once they are busy and make it your capital.
    Take Ironside's stuff and the King of Denmark ambition.
    Subjugate Denmark and form Sweden.
    Vassalize everyone except the islands and Fairhair.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

What happened to being able to convert to a concubine's religion? I got the idea into my head that I would be the Tengri horde in Turkmenistan and wage invasions until I got massive and then convert to Zoroastrianism for profit, but I have a Zoroastrian concubine and no option...

edit: My heir is Zoroastrian, so I'm not too worried, but I'd like to be able to convert at my leisure.

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade
Its an event

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Rumda posted:

Its an event

It's a decision.

For anyone that's curious, you can't convert to your concubine's religion while at war.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chickpea Roar
Jan 11, 2006

Merdre!
The count of Baden in the 1066 start is the heir to his father's(I think) duchy. Just spend some time improving your diplomacy, prestige and traits with ambitions/great hunts/feasts/guardianship events/etc and find a new wife with the most awesome dip stat possible. When you inherit the duchy you shouldn't have to wait long before you're the favoured successor to the empire. Then you just have to apply some stabbing. Took me less than 20 years to go from count to emperor on my first try, but I guess you may need some luck.

• Locked thread