Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

Otisburg posted:

I the best praise I could muster was that some of the characters were pretty okay if you try to mentally adjust for the bad writing (Tuvok, Janeway, and Paris mostly), and I think if the writing were less bad and more consistent and the dialogue less wooden they would approach "likable."
That's the worst bit of voyager though. It had so much potential and it just hosed up everything. It's the Star Trek equivalent of going to darfur so you can eat hamburgers with your family in front of a group of starving war orphans. I'm that disappointed in voyager loving its potential.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Whalley posted:

That's the worst bit of voyager though. It had so much potential and it just hosed up everything. It's the Star Trek equivalent of going to darfur so you can eat hamburgers with your family in front of a group of starving war orphans. I'm that disappointed in voyager loving its potential.

It basically became Gilligan's Island in Space.

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I both own and operate a pirate ship.
A few days ago I had a chance to see Star Trek: The Motion Picture in HD. I watched this movie about a year ago in SD, so it's not like I hadn't seen it. I was so amazed at what a difference the HD makes. It somehow made the movie much more enjoyable.

Now I have the first season of the TNG blurays and I've already watched Encounter at Farpoint. It was very enjoyable and I can't believe the difference being remastered makes to the watch-ability.

So I guess I'm in for round two of watching all the Star Treks, this time in HD!

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

TomR posted:

A few days ago I had a chance to see Star Trek: The Motion Picture in HD. I watched this movie about a year ago in SD, so it's not like I hadn't seen it. I was so amazed at what a difference the HD makes. It somehow made the movie much more enjoyable.

Now I have the first season of the TNG blurays and I've already watched Encounter at Farpoint. It was very enjoyable and I can't believe the difference being remastered makes to the watch-ability.

So I guess I'm in for round two of watching all the Star Treks, this time in HD!

TNG still hasn't finished being converted to HD (I think season 6 is coming up next?) and no DS9 HD :smith: (or Voyager but who cares)

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Farecoal posted:

TNG still hasn't finished being converted to HD (I think season 6 is coming up next?) and no DS9 HD :smith: (or Voyager but who cares)

And if the idiots who vote at startrek.com have their way, Voyager will get the BR treatment before DS9.

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I both own and operate a pirate ship.
I wouldn't be surprised if they just stop after TNG.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

TomR posted:

I wouldn't be surprised if they just stop after TNG.

Yeah, the increased use of CGI in the later shows would dramatically complicate the process, and neither have the general prestige of TNG.

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

MikeJF posted:

Yeah, the increased use of CGI in the later shows would dramatically complicate the process, and neither have the general prestige of TNG.

Apparently the people who did the CGI for DS9 actually kept all of the files: http://trekcore.com/blog/2013/05/deep-space-nine-in-high-definition-one-step-closer/

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005
Nadie puede dar lo que no tiene

Farecoal posted:

Apparently the people who did the CGI for DS9 actually kept all of the files: http://trekcore.com/blog/2013/05/deep-space-nine-in-high-definition-one-step-closer/

I.... don't think we link or reference that site on here anymore.

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

Trickjaw posted:

Sorry it was the only source :shrug:

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

simply having a wonderful time

Farecoal posted:

I feel like this article is the Star Trek equivalent of medical knowledge gained by Nazi scientists experimenting on humans...

DemeaninDemon posted:

Yeah Voyager would totally forget about the Prophets. Not DS9! They actually explore what it's like to be Space Jesus.
An entire series of The Sisko going, "Bah humbug!" and then a handful at the end of, "Holy poo poo! Being Space-Jesus is great!" out of nowhere.

Don't get me wrong, DS9 is awesome, but character development, with the exception of Nog and maybe Kira, isn't its strong suit.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Mogomra posted:

I feel like this article is the Star Trek equivalent of medical knowledge gained by Nazi scientists experimenting on humans...

The V-2 begat the PGM-11 which begat the Jupiter-C which begat the Mercury-Redstone.

Sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Vagabundo posted:

Haha, you're IRL mates with Conquistador.

Whoa whoa whoa, what the gently caress, Vagabundo? There's being cheeky, then there's this horrific level of libel. Totally uncalled for, you monstrous prick. Jesus Christ in Heaven.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

Mister Kingdom posted:

And if the idiots who vote at startrek.com have their way, Voyager will get the BR treatment before DS9.

I loving hate Star Trek fans who do the "fandom" thing these days, invariably they'll be so into it that they miss the point of 99% of all the media and just salivate mindlessly at the drat brand name. I never want to be the guy that's all "Well, I love Star Trek! Except for this, this, this, and this-" but I'm almost starting to feel shame for not distancing myself from people who sat through all of Voyager and thought it was an exhilarating experience.

Trickjaw posted:

I was hoping they got rid of him over there too, but I haven't been following.

I do hope that having the DS9 CG files encourages them to put out that series next for completeness sake; as many dumbasses as there are out there I can't see Voyager encouraging people to buy more Star Trek series on blu-ray.

Mogomra posted:

There was a Voyager episode about this. It went about as well as you could expect.

Vengeance of Pandas
Sep 8, 2008

THE TERRIBLE POST WENT THATAWAY!

Mogomra posted:

An entire series of The Sisko going, "Bah humbug!" and then a handful at the end of, "Holy poo poo! Being Space-Jesus is great!" out of nowhere.

Don't get me wrong, DS9 is awesome, but character development, with the exception of Nog and maybe Kira, isn't its strong suit.

*Spoilers for people doing a first watch of DS9*

Not exactly out of nowhere, middle of season four he started coming to terms with being the Emissary after the prophets dragged that Bajoran poet out of time who took over for a little while and made it clear to him he actually was the Emissary. Then you have Rapture in season five where he has visions, rediscovers a lost Bajoran city and convinces the Bajorans to delay their entry to Starfleet in order to protect them from the Dominion. Just off the top of my head.

*End of Spoilers*

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Tighclops posted:

I was hoping they got rid of him over there too, but I haven't been following.

Yeah he vanished from their staff page within days of the whole thing blowing up.

Trickjaw posted:

If you can't stand to visit someplace Aatrek used to be, what are you doing hanging around here?

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I'm your friend and I'm not going to just stand by and let you do this!

Mogomra posted:

What if we created a hologram that contained TrekCore information that we could yell at, even as it helped us?

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

The other day I got watching a Bible documentary narrated by the Sisko and he was using The Sisko voice (you know not Captain Sisko :) but Captain Sisko :doom:). it was something else

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

jng2058 posted:

If you can't stand to visit someplace Aatrek used to be, what are you doing hanging around here?

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

ummmmmmm excuse me but did yyou know that (updated version of the) image was created trekcore was written for by a literal child molester???

your literally blasting hatesemen across the face of every abused child victim in the united states of america

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

Mogomra posted:

Eh? Pretty sure character development was pretty decent across the board in DS9. The only one that didn't get any real development was the trill. Maybe Garak, too, but he was perfect from day one.

1's solid arcing but that's no contest.

You also need to remember it's Trek. Trek doesn't have that much character development to begin with.

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

DemeaninDemon posted:

Maybe Garak, too, but he was perfect from day one.
:hfive: bisexual pragmatic morally grey outcast member of a race of space nazis, there isn't any more "up" left for him to go to

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

Whoa whoa whoa, what the gently caress, Vagabundo? There's being cheeky, then there's this horrific level of libel. Totally uncalled for, you monstrous prick. Jesus Christ in Heaven.

At least I didn't compare him to Cook's captaincy in the current Ashes series.

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005
Nadie puede dar lo que no tiene

jng2058 posted:

Well it was a joke, but he never got paid here.

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

TomR posted:

gently caress yeah. Last time I was in this thread years ago I posted a pic of getting drunk with a friend, wakling into a JB HiFI (shop with stuff) and dropping like $250 on every TOS movie bluray all in sweet covers that line up on my shelf. They are loving incredible to watch.. TMP starts with the prelude. I've crapped on about it before but I'm going to do it again because it's the best. So the lights are out.. your 5.1 is splayed around you (12" powered separate sub specifically for drum and bass AND the BRAAAAGGGHH of a spaceship flying through shot in a scifi movie), 50" plasma (plasma only kids.. LCD/LED can still suck my balls.. colour reproduction matters) and you hit PLAY.

Everything is dark.. so dark you can't see your hands in your lap. Then the music starts.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mj4z2Y1y2Ak

I'm pretty sure that's it, haven't watched in some years. It's all around you, the mix for 5.1 on the bluray is incredible.

I miss my lounge room :(

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Half of TMP is found in a really good soundsystem, I will admit.

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
That short skirt when you first see it is also a holy poo poo moment.

Then the first time you make the connection between V'Ger and Voyager.

The first fly through of the Enterprise - when you know all anyone knows of it at this point is the hokey effects from the series.

Yeah.. it's a special place. I would never watch it on anything less than a suitably epic setup, it just misses the whole point of the production.

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

FlamingLiberal posted:

I think the main problem with Voyager was how they made the Borg very ineffective at dealing with one small starship. That and the whole dynamic between the Queen who wasn't Alice Krige and Janeway/Seven where for whatever reason the Queen kept putting on kid gloves when dealing with the two of them. She never really threw much of anything at Voyager, despite the ship spending a good chunk of the series in close proximity to Borg space, where you would think they could have two Cubes ready to throw at any problem if they felt like it.

They neutered the Borg. I think that was the most unforgivable thing about Voyager. What was once a race that had a dark, overbearing fear that no race could ever hope to defeat, became a group of weak, moronic zombies incapable of even the most simple of tasks. Remember that in TNG and DS9 the Borg were practically invincible - they decimated most of the Federation fleet with one cube!

So the Voyager writers - seeing ratings plummet - thought "lets introduce the Borg!" I can only presume that after doing so they went "Well poo poo" when they read the history book and found these guys to be pretty loving invincible. So rather than stick to their guns and "Year of Hell" as a series, they proceed to completely and utterly neutralize any threat the Borg had over anyone. That was the unforgivable aspect of Voyager really.

I suppose in the end it was to be expected. The writers just didn't want to commit to the idea of a rolling series of a ship dragging itself back home, getting more and more damaged, injured and destroyed the further it traversed through enemy territory. They wanted TNG Lost in Space.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

WMain00 posted:

They neutered the Borg. I think that was the most unforgivable thing about Voyager. What was once a race that had a dark, overbearing fear that no race could ever hope to defeat, became a group of weak, moronic zombies incapable of even the most simple of tasks. Remember that in TNG and DS9 the Borg were practically invincible - they decimated most of the Federation fleet with one cube!

So the Voyager writers - seeing ratings plummet - thought "lets introduce the Borg!" I can only presume that after doing so they went "Well poo poo" when they read the history book and found these guys to be pretty loving invincible. So rather than stick to their guns and "Year of Hell" as a series, they proceed to completely and utterly neutralize any threat the Borg had over anyone. That was the unforgivable aspect of Voyager really.

I suppose in the end it was to be expected. The writers just didn't want to commit to the idea of a rolling series of a ship dragging itself back home, getting more and more damaged, injured and destroyed the further it traversed through enemy territory. They wanted TNG Lost in Space.

I think you are giving the writers of Voyager too much credit. Seriously, it's a whole crew of Marry Sues. I am sure that the thought process was more like "Sure the Borg are invincible, but the Voyager crew is so loving awesome that they beat them anyways, and easier than the TNG crew."

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

MikeJF posted:

Half of TMP is found in a really good soundsystem, I will admit.

Presumably the BWWAAAAAAUUUUMMMMMMMMMM half.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

WMain00 posted:

[The producers of Voyager] wanted TNG Lost in Space.

But with key differences! Instead of the middle-aged, surly Doctor creepily hanging out with a child all the time, it was the chef and he was dating one for a while until she turned four and realized what a loser he was. Then he moved on to grooming hanging out with Naomi Wildman.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Someone in my office has a Vidiian action figure hanging up behind her desk in its original packaging. When she found out that I was watching, she pointed out that a coworker of ours actually looks like Neelix (which, actually, he does). She seems so normal most of the time but is, in fact, a Voyager fan and apologist.

I'm in the middle of the Year of Hell now, which I guess would be good if it weren't obvious they were going to do a reset (and not only because the thread has told me; they introduce the mechanics for it with the ship outside of time, so it's pretty obvious it's coming). I just want to get back to DS9 so I can get to the Morn episode or the one where they all get to act out of their makeup.

Hip-Hoptimus Rhyme
Mar 19, 2009

Gods don't make mistakes

DemeaninDemon posted:

Eh? Pretty sure character development was pretty decent across the board in DS9. The only one that didn't get any real development was the trill. Maybe Garak, too, but he was perfect from day one.

I would say Garak definitely got character development. It may not be as pronounced as other characters, since he started off as such an enigma and there were only a few (really great) episodes that focused on him. I'd say he started off as a lonesome exile who no one really wanted to be around. He spends time with Starfleet members and creates a dialogue discussing Cardassian ideals and Federation ideals, but still clearly thinks that Cardassian society is superior. As the series goes along though, he begins to appreciate different (Federation) ideals that when he ultimately (end of series spoilers) returns to ruined Cardassia, he's ready for it to be reborn as something else. His time among the other cultures of the galaxy has shown him that Cardassia deserved what it got and needed to change..

Writer Cath
Apr 1, 2007

Box. Flipped.
Plaster Town Cop
My favourite running thread of DS9 was the ongoing book exchange between Bashir and Garak. Hearing Garak's interpretation of A Tale of Two Cities and Boy Who Cried Wolf gave such wonderful insights into the Cardassian mindset. I only wish we'd gotten to see more of Bashir interpreting Cardassian works.

Hip-Hoptimus Rhyme
Mar 19, 2009

Gods don't make mistakes

Writer Cath posted:

My favourite running thread of DS9 was the ongoing book exchange between Bashir and Garak. Hearing Garak's interpretation of A Tale of Two Cities and Boy Who Cried Wolf gave such wonderful insights into the Cardassian mindset. I only wish we'd gotten to see more of Bashir interpreting Cardassian works.

That would've been neat, but probably would've meant much less to the viewer. When Garak gives a Cardassian interpretation of something we're familiar with, it gives us a new perspective on something we've probably taken for granted. If Bashir were to interpret a Cardassian work, all we're getting out of it is another instance of "Cardassian different from Human". It wouldn't resonate with the viewer, since what Bashir is analyzing is not real to us. I know that all Cardassian culture is fake and any assessment that comes from it doesn't hold much real meaning, but at least when the hypothetical culture examines something real in our lives, it will resonate with us.

If anything, Bashir should've made a comment about some "ancient" earth text and how Cardassian it seemed to him.

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

Hip-Hoptimus Rhyme posted:

I would say Garak definitely got character development. It may not be as pronounced as other characters, since he started off as such an enigma and there were only a few (really great) episodes that focused on him. I'd say he started off as a lonesome exile who no one really wanted to be around. He spends time with Starfleet members and creates a dialogue discussing Cardassian ideals and Federation ideals, but still clearly thinks that Cardassian society is superior. As the series goes along though, he begins to appreciate different (Federation) ideals that when he ultimately (end of series spoilers) returns to ruined Cardassia, he's ready for it to be reborn as something else. His time among the other cultures of the galaxy has shown him that Cardassia deserved what it got and needed to change..

He did certainly flesh out the Cardies as a race of space Nazis. A true patriot until the end.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Garak is among my favorite characters.

quote:

Dr. Julian Bashir: It's a children's story, about a young shepherd boy who gets lonely while tending his flock. So he cries out to the villagers that a wolf is attacking the sheep. The people come running, but of course there's no wolf. He claims that it's run away and the villagers praise him for his vigilance.
Elim Garak: Clever lad. Charming story.
Dr. Julian Bashir: I'm not finished. The next day, the boy does it again, and the next too. And on the fourth day a wolf really comes. The boy cries out at the top of his lungs, but the villagers ignore him, and the boy, and his flock, are gobbled up.
Elim Garak: Well, that's a little graphic for children, wouldn't you say?
Dr. Julian Bashir: But the point is, if you lie all the time, nobody's going to believe you, even when you're telling the truth.
Elim Garak: Are you sure that's the point, Doctor?
Dr. Julian Bashir: Of course. What else could it be?
Elim Garak: That you should never tell the same lie twice.

Elim Garak: I'm sorry, Doctor, I just don't see the value of this man's work.
Dr. Julian Bashir: But Garak, Shakespeare is one of the giants of Human literature.
Elim Garak: I knew Brutus was going to kill Caesar in the first act; but Caesar didn't figure it out until the knife was in his back.
Dr. Julian Bashir: But that's what makes it a tragedy. Caesar couldn't conceive that his best friend would plot to kill him.
Elim Garak: Tragedy is not the word I'd use. Farce would be more appropriate.

(A later episode, where Garak along with an entire Tal'Shiar/Obsidian Order fleet is drawn into a Dominion trap.)

Enabran Tain: How could this be? What could have happened?
Elim Garak: I'm afraid the fault, dear Tain, is not in our stars, but in ourselves.
Enabran Tain: What?
Elim Garak: Something I learned from Doctor Bashir.

Really Bashir should have stopped trying to put his symbiotic worm in Jadzia and realized Elim Garak was his true love. I "ship" those two all day erry day.

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

Otisburg posted:

I "ship" those two all day erry day.

also

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Oh whatever don't act like there wasn't a subtext that they should be spooning lovingly.

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Otisburg posted:

Really Bashir should have stopped trying to put his symbiotic worm in Jadzia

Pretty much every time I see her I feel the symbiosis.

I can't blame Bashir.

It says in Memory Alpha that Terry Crews said she regreted leaving Trek as her character was so cool, in comparison to the cook or whatever the gently caress she played on Becker. Talk to the hand Terry, you and Tasha Yar.. you doubted Trek owns and you paid with your characters.

edit: Terry Farrell. lol where the gently caress did Terry Crews come from..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q6rSrFpl-wE

\/\/ I know.. my brain is just a muscle that WARANT READY

Tony Montana fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Dec 17, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Terry Crews, eh?

• Locked thread