Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nick Rivers
Nov 23, 2004

Yoshifan823 posted:

Felicia Day is like a lady-version of Chris Hardwick.

She speaks with the cadence of Ed Grimley, too?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

precision posted:

That's our Joe!

What? This is one of those broken clock moments where he's absolutely right.

Mo0 posted:

@Midnight fully redeems Chris Hardwick for just about any of his past sins, in my mind. It's the perfect application of his particular brand of person.

@Midnight was good in spite of Chris Hardwick, not because of him. The episodes ranged from "absolutely hilarious" to "unwatchable poo poo" on the strength of the panelists.

Postal Parcel
Aug 2, 2013
Chris Hardwick...
I listened to one of his sets on Comedy Central Sirius channel and could barely stand it.
It was something about him being a wimp about killing animals and inadvertently killing about 40 sharks(pregnant mama).

The premise sounds like it could be good, but he just kept going on and on about "Oh I'm so sad about killing this shark" and "Sharks have the best vaginas in the world" and "I want to be in this warm, moist shark vagina." There were no jokes about bestiality, he said all of that straight. So disappointing.

ChickenMedium
Sep 2, 2001
Forum Veteran And Professor Emeritus of Condiment Studies

raditts posted:

@Midnight was good in spite of Chris Hardwick, not because of him. The episodes ranged from "absolutely hilarious" to "unwatchable poo poo" on the strength of the panelists.

Nah, he's good enough on it. There was only one really "unwatchable poo poo" episode and that was completely on David Spade.

Celery Jello
Mar 21, 2005
Slippery Tilde

raditts posted:

See, I'd argue that it takes a good host to make that possible; by being a constant that keeps the show moving at a steady clip while allowing the panelists the biggest spotlight, he's doing his job as a host.

Tuxedo Jack
Sep 11, 2001

Hey Ma, who's that band I like? Oh yeah, Hall & Oates.

Postal Parcel posted:

Chris Hardwick...
I listened to one of his sets on Comedy Central Sirius channel and could barely stand it.
It was something about him being a wimp about killing animals and inadvertently killing about 40 sharks(pregnant mama).

The premise sounds like it could be good, but he just kept going on and on about "Oh I'm so sad about killing this shark" and "Sharks have the best vaginas in the world" and "I want to be in this warm, moist shark vagina." There were no jokes about bestiality, he said all of that straight. So disappointing.

He had a gag about how nerds pause and breathe in the middle of sentences... That's literally the only Chris Hardwick joke I've ever laughed at.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I can't say that I've ever heard Chris Hardwick say anything that I would classify as "a joke", let alone "funny". But I haven't really investigated the subject too much.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Tuxedo Jack posted:

We made it like 20 minutes into the pilot. And we suffer through vanilla OUAT every week.

Yeah, the pilot is an unfocused, boring mess. It gets better.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Judging from the handful of Talking Dead, @Midnight, and youtube things I've seen Hardwick seems like a perfectly good host who gets a lot out of his guests and shows a genuine interest in the subjects. That's all I really would ask out of a host. He doesn't seem especially witty or funny in his own right, but he doesn't have to be and doesn't seem to be trying especially hard to be. He seems to let his guests and the subject matter take center stage.

I just have a hard time getting past the idea that he was the same dude from Singled Out. It makes me feel so drat old.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I just assume that anyone who says Hardwick is a good interviewer really loves late night TV, because he's very much a "Late Night Talk Show" interviewer, as opposed to someone like Marc Maron, or (ironically) Craig Ferguson, who are really good because they dig deep/are incredibly entertaining (respectively). The best comparison for Hardwick's interview skills is probably someone like Jimmy Fallon, but I feel like Fallon is a funnier person, and has a working relationship with Justin Timberlake, so he wins.

He's also a perfectly adequate stand-up, which really isn't enough these days, when there are so many really good/great comedians working. Time will tell if any stand up (no pun intended) with the legends like Carlin or Pryor, but right now the sheer volume of great comedy is way higher than it has ever been.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I think Hardwick is a "host", not an "interviewer." A good interviewer asks probing questions (to various degrees depending on the guest) and pulls things out of their guests that they wouldn't have freely volunteered otherwise. A good host is simply there to set up the guests or subject matter to shine and then get out of the way.

You don't have to respect "the host" as a hugely difficult job or one to be admired and revered, but its a role that exists and a lot of people suck at it. Hardwick seems to be good at it and doesn't seem to have a problem sticking with it and not being the star of the show. Because what really makes a bad host is one who takes away from his guest/subject matter or one who tries to steal the stage.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I don't think Chris Hardwick could survive if Twitter and Facebook didn't exist. 90% of his questions are from there.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Yoshifan823 posted:

I just assume that anyone who says Hardwick is a good interviewer really loves late night TV, because he's very much a "Late Night Talk Show" interviewer, as opposed to someone like Marc Maron, or (ironically) Craig Ferguson, who are really good because they dig deep/are incredibly entertaining (respectively).

Dude I came back to edit in "Craig Ferguson", holy poo poo. :hf:

Billy Idle
Sep 26, 2009

Spatula City posted:

to be honest I'd be fine with Whedon if he hadn't killed off the best characters in every show he does.

The only really good characters Whedon permanently killed off in the middle of a series were Joyce Summers and Doyle. The former resulted in one of the best episodes and story arcs of the series, and the latter may have been because of the actor's drug problem (though ironically Whedon himself claims he planned it all along).

edit: Oh, and Cordelia I guess, but once again there was behind-the-scenes drama involved there.

Billy Idle fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Dec 17, 2013

DurosKlav
Jun 13, 2003

Enter your name pilot!

Mu Zeta posted:

I don't think Chris Hardwick could survive if Twitter and Facebook didn't exist. 90% of his questions are from there.

Or reddit.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.

Tuxedo Jack posted:

We made it like 20 minutes into the pilot. And we suffer through vanilla OUAT every week.
It picks up really quick starting with the second episode. And it will probably end up being one-and-done in 13 episodes, which is perfectly fine with me.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

You know what show would really benefit from Netflix streaming? The kind of show that builds word of mouth reputation and is a prestige-type show with beautiful acting, directing and cinematography? Hannibal. Hannibal would loving kill it on Netflix, and it would probably see a bump like Breaking Bad got.

I think that Netflix was bidding on Hannibal to start though, so I doubt NBC is going to give them streaming rights, because of territorial pissing match reasons. Hi, we're not going to promote or encourage this show at all, but gently caress you if we are going to let you build value for it so you can snap it up when we eventually cancel it.

(I know I'm getting mad a fake TV exec but you know they are all like that!)

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
I think Amazon scored exclusive streaming in the run up to whether or not the show would be renewed.

grrarg
Feb 14, 2011

Don't lose your head over it.

zoux posted:

You know what show would really benefit from Netflix streaming? The kind of show that builds word of mouth reputation and is a prestige-type show with beautiful acting, directing and cinematography? Hannibal. Hannibal would loving kill it on Netflix, and it would probably see a bump like Breaking Bad got.

I think that Netflix was bidding on Hannibal to start though, so I doubt NBC is going to give them streaming rights, because of territorial pissing match reasons. Hi, we're not going to promote or encourage this show at all, but gently caress you if we are going to let you build value for it so you can snap it up when we eventually cancel it.

(I know I'm getting mad a fake TV exec but you know they are all like that!)
It would have made more sense if NBC Universal could have made the entire season free on Hulu to get people to catch up. Except I think Comcast gave up the ability to influence NBC's stake in Hulu as a condition of getting government approval to buy NBC.

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.
How is Almost Human?

I'm a fan of both of the leads, especially Michael Ealy. Really loved Sleeper Cell.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

-Blackadder- posted:

How is Almost Human?

I'm a fan of both of the leads, especially Michael Ealy. Really loved Sleeper Cell.
Good, not great. Worth watching.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

-Blackadder- posted:

How is Almost Human?

Don't bother.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

-Blackadder- posted:

How is Almost Human?

Then check it out. Not sure why the guy above thinks it's so bad you shouldn't even bother, but it's been pretty good so far in my opinion. The chemistry between Urban and Ealy is the strongest part of the show and there have been a couple of pretty neat cases so far. Minka Kelly's the weakest part of the show, but usually she's limited to just coming up to someone and delivering some info before the scene moves on so it's not that bad. It's pretty much a 90s sci-fi buddy cop show with two likeable leads at heart, so if that sounds like something you might be into then you'll probably like it.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

-Blackadder- posted:

How is Almost Human?

It's good, but mostly because of the two leads. The stories are pretty standard police procedural stuff with a little bit of future tech thrown in.

ufarn
May 30, 2009

-Blackadder- posted:

How is Almost Human?
Not worth it at present. Better to wait until the first season ends and see how it measured up - and whether it gets renewed.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
It's kind of sad that a show co-starring a cyborg set in the future and crammed full of CGI feels more like a predictable police procedural and less like sci-fi than one set in the present day starring regular dudes and their smart phones. :v:

Of course, it usually takes sci-fi shows half a season or more to find their feet, so it could totally turn around if we're lucky.

...of SCIENCE! fucked around with this message at 11:54 on Dec 17, 2013

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

The scifi stuff so far is pretty bland. And it's supposed to be a crime-ridden future but everything looks so clean. Even the shady drug labs looked more organized than Walter White's ever was.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
The last episode had androids, clones, and holograms. That was the extent of their futuristic exposition, few of which contributed anything to the episode.

Might as well just watch X-Files or Fringe.

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

cool kids inc. posted:

I've found that most people who hate Felicia Day (and Chris Hardwick for that matter) fall into two categories- The "Nerd Blackface" people who hate her for the same reason they hate the Big Bang Theory, ie she's not a real nerd and how dare she make money off of the plebes who think she is. The other being the "She's insufferable" crowd, which as far as I can tell means because she references things on the internet and is "twee" she's insufferable.

Sure there are the occasional folks out there who just admit she's not their cuppa, for whatever reason, but the seething hatred comes from those two camps.

Haha, so true. This whole conversation reminds me of this:

...which absolutely infuriates the "nerd blackface" crowd (excellent label by the way) to my endless amusement.

I didn't mind the guild stuff because it was on youtube; expectations are almost zero there anyway, and I used to play WoW so found it amusing because of that. I just dislike her TV acting, which I've never seen rise above youtube superstar level (unlike, say, Olivia Munn) but other than that she's kinda cute. I guess I don't mind "twee" :shrug:

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
TV IV Couch Chat: Whinin' About Whedon, Harping on About Hardwick, Fighting About Felicia.

...Felicia Day isn't terrible, but is usually used/casted badly. I hope she gets cast as Wasp in whichever Marvel movie features Wasp, as I think she'd be a good fit. Hardwick seems genuine and someone who loves what he's doing, but doesn't really have a personality beyond "super excited fanboy" (see also: Jimmy Fallon). And Whedon... Whedon is a generally capable writer who leans on goofy dialog and shock deaths (Joyce, Wash, Penny, Coulson) a bit more than he should. That said, he does understand the mediums of Film and Television really, really well (being a third generation screenwriter will lead to that) and so I generally find anything he works on worth the price of admission. Except Firefly. Firefly did nothing for me.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine
I think Dr. Horrible is great and Firefly is really really great.

Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

ufarn posted:

Not worth it at present. Better to wait until the first season ends and see how it measured up - and whether it gets renewed.
Yeah, I'm real close to bowing out and then just repicking it up if it pulls a Fringe. Even the leads will have moments where I think they're not pulling their weight enough, or it just feels off-model.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

Mu Zeta posted:

The scifi stuff so far is pretty bland. And it's supposed to be a crime-ridden future but everything looks so clean. Even the shady drug labs looked more organized than Walter White's ever was.

Well yeah, of course, they have more advanced cleaning technology in the future.

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

lelandjs posted:

TV IV Couch Chat: Whinin' About Whedon, Harping on About Hardwick, Fighting About Felicia.

...Felicia Day isn't terrible, but is usually used/casted badly. I hope she gets cast as Wasp in whichever Marvel movie features Wasp, as I think she'd be a good fit. Hardwick seems genuine and someone who loves what he's doing, but doesn't really have a personality beyond "super excited fanboy" (see also: Jimmy Fallon). And Whedon... Whedon is a generally capable writer who leans on goofy dialog and shock deaths (Joyce, Wash, Penny, Coulson) a bit more than he should. That said, he does understand the mediums of Film and Television really, really well (being a third generation screenwriter will lead to that) and so I generally find anything he works on worth the price of admission. Except Firefly. Firefly did nothing for me.

Maybe, and it's a long shot, but maybe if they'd used her in Alphas instead of Summer Glau it might not have been cancelled. I think she'd have fit that role ok - her acting wouldn't have been too much worse - and the Glau curse would have been avoided.

And then we'd still have Alphas :unsmith:

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Technically killing Coulson wasn't Whedon's idea, as per discussion earlier in this very thread I think, but Jeph Loeb's. I think Whedon even jokes about it on the commentary track that when the suggestion was made he told Loeb "Do you know what kind of reputation I have and you want me to do what?"

Austrian mook posted:

I think Dr. Horrible is great and Firefly is really really great.

I also think Firefly is pretty great. I came at Whedon's work in a funny order...the first thing I ever watched of his was Firefly which I did when it was first airing as a random "what the hell" watch and I thought it was awesome, then it got cancelled and I was disappointed, then I got over it which frankly I wish a lot of obsessive Firefly fans would do...sorry guys, sometimes poo poo sucks but seriously, it's all right to let it go now. I then went and checked out Buffy which I found decent for the first few seasons, then around season four it lost its luster. I watched a few episodes of Angel after that but ehhh.

Years and years later I'd give Alien Resurrection a shot and yep, pretty terrible, but I wouldn't even begin call it the start of the slow death of the franchise when Alien 3 still exists.

I skipped Dollhouse and don't feel a lot of regret over that one, and for a thing basically made on a shoestring budget by some pals goofing around Dr. Horrible is all right but I never really thought it was as great as a lot of people do.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

Kai Tave posted:

Technically killing Coulson wasn't Whedon's idea, as per discussion earlier in this very thread I think, but Jeph Loeb's. I think Whedon even jokes about it on the commentary track that when the suggestion was made he told Loeb "Do you know what kind of reputation I have and you want me to do what?"

I also think Firefly is pretty great. I came at Whedon's work in a funny order...the first thing I ever watched of his was Firefly which I did when it was first airing as a random "what the hell" watch and I thought it was awesome, then it got cancelled and I was disappointed, then I got over it which frankly I wish a lot of obsessive Firefly fans would do...sorry guys, sometimes poo poo sucks but seriously, it's all right to let it go now. I then went and checked out Buffy which I found decent for the first few seasons, then around season four it lost its luster. I watched a few episodes of Angel after that but ehhh.

Years and years later I'd give Alien Resurrection a shot and yep, pretty terrible, but I wouldn't even begin call it the start of the slow death of the franchise when Alien 3 still exists.

I skipped Dollhouse and don't feel a lot of regret over that one, and for a thing basically made on a shoestring budget by some pals goofing around Dr. Horrible is all right but I never really thought it was as great as a lot of people do.

I haven't seen any Whedon aside from those two, but Firefly is seriously loving incredible. Every single element is just magnificent, acting, visuals, music, directing. It's just a thrilling show.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Firefly is kind of anomalous of the Whedon shows I've seen in that it really hit the ground running from the start. Don't go a watch Buffy season one, for example, if you're hoping for something like that because you'll be sorely disappointed.

I really liked Greg Edmonson's score for the show and was annoyed they didn't get him to do the movie (which was middling at best but at least we'd have gotten a better soundtrack out of it).

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

cool kids inc. posted:

"She's insufferable" crowd, which as far as I can tell means because she references things on the internet and is "twee" she's insufferable.

Twee is pretty much synonymous with insufferable, it is a pejorative word. Personally I have no real fixed opinion of her, she's a little grating in Supernatural, but amusing in The Guild.

While I'm talking about other people's irrational hatred for actresses, I'd like to point out how funny it is to see people 'Munning' Minka Kelly. Someone with letters after their name could probably do a hell of a study on the pathology of hating pretty people as a result of an inability to dissociate actors from roles.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

Kai Tave posted:

Firefly is kind of anomalous of the Whedon shows I've seen in that it really hit the ground running from the start. Don't go a watch Buffy season one, for example, if you're hoping for something like that because you'll be sorely disappointed.

I really liked Greg Edmonson's score for the show and was annoyed they didn't get him to do the movie (which was middling at best but at least we'd have gotten a better soundtrack out of it).

Really, if you feel like for some reason in your heart you really need closure for Firefly, watch the movie, if not, it's not really worth your time. It's really average, which is a drat shame.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kraps
Sep 9, 2011

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.

Austrian mook posted:

Really, if you feel like for some reason in your heart you really need closure for Firefly, watch the movie, if not, it's not really worth your time. It's really average, which is a drat shame.

The movie didn't give me closure just more heartache :argh:

• Locked thread