Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

It is funny how they keep killing off the obvious candidates for Ollie's training.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Blanketspace posted:

I'm sure I'm really slow to the draw here, but I absolutely love how much the show focused on Barry Allen's constant lateness, and how heavily the show foreshadowed his Flash transformation when he was talking to Felicity and saying that he'd be on time in the future.

Yeah, it's a nice blend of cheesy and foreshadow. You can imagine on Smallville the line would have been "If you ever wanted to go on a date, I'd be there... in a FLASH"

Arcanen
Dec 19, 2005

Aphrodite posted:

It is funny how they keep killing off the obvious candidates for Ollie's training.

I don't know how they are ever going to convincingly do Oliver's training. As long as they are doing flashbacks, they are going to want "stuff" to be happening in those flashbacks, and I don't think "and then I spent 3 years doing nothing but practicing archery and Russian" is going to cut it. So the only real way for it to happen is a huge timeskip in the flashbacks.

Personally, I really think the show could do without the flashbacks anyway.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The skip they had to start this season would have been a good start, but apparently he didn't get any training in in that time.

imperialparadox
Apr 17, 2012

Don't tell me no one has told the girl she isn't exactly human!

Shakugan posted:

I don't know how they are ever going to convincingly do Oliver's training. As long as they are doing flashbacks, they are going to want "stuff" to be happening in those flashbacks, and I don't think "and then I spent 3 years doing nothing but practicing archery and Russian" is going to cut it. So the only real way for it to happen is a huge timeskip in the flashbacks.

Personally, I really think the show could do without the flashbacks anyway.

I actually like the flashbacks, I think it's fun trying to imagine how the hell Ollie leaves the island, goes back to the island, and becomes a Russian gangster along the way. To me it's way better than doing his origin in the first segment of the first episode and forgetting about it.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.

Aphrodite posted:

The skip they had to start this season would have been a good start, but apparently he didn't get any training in in that time.
What exactly were they doing again after Fyres? Were they just wandering around in the forest and trying to survive before running into Ivo's men? I'm sure he got in some training then.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Sober posted:

What exactly were they doing again after Fyres? Were they just wandering around in the forest and trying to survive before running into Ivo's men? I'm sure he got in some training then.

Having unprotected sex with Shado. Lot's and lot's of unprotected sex with Shado.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

imperialparadox posted:

I actually like the flashbacks, I think it's fun trying to imagine how the hell Ollie leaves the island, goes back to the island, and becomes a Russian gangster along the way. To me it's way better than doing his origin in the first segment of the first episode and forgetting about it.

I think the "becomes a Russian gangster" part of his backstory is being overblown. We know that Anatoly feels immense gratitude for Ollie saving his life, and that when the Starling City Russians called to confirm his status it was Anatoly who backed him up. I think the most likely scenario is that Anatoly gives him the tattoo and promises to help him out whenever he can. I really doubt Ollie spent much (if any) time in Russia doing mafia stuff.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

ShakeZula posted:

I think the "becomes a Russian gangster" part of his backstory is being overblown. We know that Anatoly feels immense gratitude for Ollie saving his life, and that when the Starling City Russians called to confirm his status it was Anatoly who backed him up. I think the most likely scenario is that Anatoly gives him the tattoo and promises to help him out whenever he can. I really doubt Ollie spent much (if any) time in Russia doing mafia stuff.

I don't think is as simple, there must be a good reason for Ollie to know a near 'perfect' russian and how to play convencingly a mafia captain after all.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

The Question IRL posted:

Having unprotected sex with Shado. Lot's and lot's of unprotected sex with Shado.

So story-wise, she HAD to die, because you can't have a baby in a forest or anything until AFTER becoming an established superhero.

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

Doesn't he also know perfect Chinese? How did he learn that so well before she died?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Stephen Amell has said that he recorded an episode of that Quiver podcast.

Arcanen
Dec 19, 2005

Another island issue is that at some point he's going to have to decide to be obsessed with the list, a plotline we've already seen resolved. I'm not sure they're going to want to spend time on something already resolved; I certainly don't want to watch it.

Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

Laughter is the sun that drives winter from the human race

Shakugan posted:

Another island issue is that at some point he's going to have to decide to be obsessed with the list, a plotline we've already seen resolved. I'm not sure they're going to want to spend time on something already resolved; I certainly don't want to watch it.

I seem to remember Season 1 Oliver mentioning getting a message from his father post-mortem. If so, the list is something that could be covered in just an episode or two.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

kelvron posted:

I seem to remember Season 1 Oliver mentioning getting a message from his father post-mortem. If so, the list is something that could be covered in just an episode or two.

This did indeed happen. I doubt the list will get another mention on the Island because he's kinda busy with the here and now. League of Assassins, Slade, and Sara who are right in front of me take precedent over fantasizing about who I kill first when I get home and all that.

Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

Laughter is the sun that drives winter from the human race

Warmachine posted:

This did indeed happen. I doubt the list will get another mention on the Island because he's kinda busy with the here and now. League of Assassins, Slade, and Sara who are right in front of me take precedent over fantasizing about who I kill first when I get home and all that.

I'm not saying it'll get a mention this season, but at some point in the flashbacks. It'd probably mesh up better with whatever Russian backstory gets used.

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

With great payroll, comes great disappointment.

Aphrodite posted:

KGBeast is still alive, though?

Seriously though, I don't remember Ollie's training being a big deal in the comics either, the way that Batman's martial arts instructors periodically pop up. He learned to shoot from the island, by himself.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

jscolon2.0 posted:

Seriously though, I don't remember Ollie's training being a big deal in the comics either, the way that Batman's martial arts instructors periodically pop up. He learned to shoot from the island, by himself.

I assumed this, as well. He got the basics from Yao Fei and Shado, but at some point he winds up alone and goes on a whole wildman survivalist spirit journey that ends with the escape in the pilot.

Oliver's new identity is self-created, so it stands to reason that his skills are self-developed after a point. He just needed some impetus, which honestly the island plotline has already provided.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

jscolon2.0 posted:

KGBeast is still alive, though?

In the One Year Later arc we get to see Ollie totally remake himself into a better man, a better fighter and a better hero. It's also the story where he becomes the mayor of Star City that people keep bringing up. The entire arc is available in two trades, Crawling through the Wreckage and the Road to Jericho. Both written by Judd Winnick, probably my favorite modern GA run. I highly recommend them.

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

With great payroll, comes great disappointment.

Rhyno posted:

In the One Year Later arc we get to see Ollie totally remake himself into a better man, a better fighter and a better hero. It's also the story where he becomes the mayor of Star City that people keep bringing up. The entire arc is available in two trades, Crawling through the Wreckage and the Road to Jericho. Both written by Judd Winnick, probably my favorite modern GA run. I highly recommend them.

I remember that arc. But it happened after he already became a superhero. Batman and a lot of other trained human characters typically have these elaborate origins where they travel the world training with martial arts masters. Ollie just kind of doesn't.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

jscolon2.0 posted:

I remember that arc. But it happened after he already became a superhero. Batman and a lot of other trained human characters typically have these elaborate origins where they travel the world training with martial arts masters. Ollie just kind of doesn't.

Green Arrow Year One nicely updated his origin on the island so while he didn't have martial skills he was a dead-shot with a bow before the island.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.

Shakugan posted:

It'll probably pop up near the end of the fifth year flashback. Because if he did get off the island easily once or twice earlier it stands to reason he would somehow manufacture his rescue as well. Or at least that's what I'd like to think. IIRC the List on the island wasn't that big of a deal since Ollie kept getting into shenanigans the entire time up until possibly the end when he finds out the purpose of the list.

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

Do you like superheroes? Check out my CYOA Mutants: Uprising

How about weird historical fiction? Try Vampires of the Caribbean

Rhyno posted:

Green Arrow Year One nicely updated his origin on the island so while he didn't have martial skills he was a dead-shot with a bow before the island.

On the show we know Thea is a really good shot with a bow also, so show Ollie probably had some skill...

..oh, but they have different fathers.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
he isn't though, when papa Shado is teaching him he couldn't hit a bulls arse with a banjo

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Rocksicles posted:

couldn't hit a bulls arse with a banjo

I resolve from this day forth to start using this phrase.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Also Merry Xmas!

zoux fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Dec 17, 2013

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Are Mr and Ms Clause related to the actors in any way?

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
Possible Flash casting spoilers: Ernie Hudson, from Ghostbusters and a poo poo-ton of minor roles in other stuff, is up for the role of...

The Flash posted:

DETECTIVE WEST – Late 40s to Early 50s – African American – Detective West is an honest, blue-collar cop who’s seen it all. A soulful, funny caring father to Iris, and a surrogate father to Barry, West came up through the foster system himself. He took in Barry after his mother’s murder and his father’s imprisonment. He believes in Barry and supports Barry’s efforts to prove his father’s innocence.

So, this is... interesting.
On the one hand, it looks like a repeat of the 'hero in love with cop's daughter' plotline from Arrow.
On the other hand, Barry's relationship with Detective West is the polar opposite the Ollie-Quentin hatefuck. West is basically Barry's adoptive dad and totally loves and supports him, which is kind of :3:.
On the other other hand, this means Barry kind of falls in love with his adoptive sister. :psyduck:

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Holy poo poo! That explains so much!

Daric
Dec 23, 2007

Shawn:
Do you really want to know my process?

Lassiter:
Absolutely.

Shawn:
Well it starts with a holla! and ends with a Creamsicle.

Spergatory posted:

Possible Flash casting spoilers: Ernie Hudson, from Ghostbusters and a poo poo-ton of minor roles in other stuff, is up for the role of...

So, this is... interesting.
On the one hand, it looks like a repeat of the 'hero in love with cop's daughter' plotline from Arrow.
On the other hand, Barry's relationship with Detective West is the polar opposite the Ollie-Quentin hatefuck. West is basically Barry's adoptive dad and totally loves and supports him, which is kind of :3:.
On the other other hand, this means Barry kind of falls in love with his adoptive sister. :psyduck:

Barry is in love with Felicity

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Daric posted:

Barry is in love with Felicity

So is 90% of this thread.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Ernie Hudson is awesome. I fully support this.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Deadpool posted:

Ernie Hudson is awesome. I fully support this.

Do you think a giant, talking Gorilla is poo poo enough to turn a dude white?

Rhyno fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Dec 18, 2013

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

How much press do you think the Black Iris West thing will get around pilot time?

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012

hi liter posted:

How much press do you think the Black Iris West thing will get around pilot time?

I don't know, but I can't wait. I love watching internet racists work themselves into a froth. They'll probably generate enough mouth-foam to go surfing. :allears:

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Spergatory posted:

I don't know, but I can't wait. I love watching internet racists work themselves into a froth. They'll probably generate enough mouth-foam to go surfing. :allears:

It's probably not going to be a big deal until these idiots connect the dots and figure out that this means Wally West is also black. That is if he even exists. Which isn't likely.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Deadpool posted:

It's probably not going to be a big deal until these idiots connect the dots and figure out that this means Wally West is also black. That is if he even exists. Which isn't likely.

Pfff, like they have black people in the 30th century. :jerkbag:
There are no dots to connect there, buddy.

Sometimes you just don't want comic lore to be followed. :psyduck:

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Drifter posted:

Pfff, like they have black people in the 30th century. :jerkbag:
There are no dots to connect there, buddy.

Sometimes you just don't want comic lore to be followed. :psyduck:

He is not from the 30th Century. That is Bart Allen.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

bobkatt013 posted:

He is not from the 30th Century. That is Bart Allen.

I was casually not mentioning Iris.

I meant Iris.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Drifter posted:

I was casually not mentioning Iris.

I meant Iris.

I really do hope the racist do go nuts. It will almost be as hilarious as the Hunger Game or Harry Potter racist freakouts.

bobkatt013 fucked around with this message at 05:23 on Dec 18, 2013

• Locked thread