Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

ThermoPhysical posted:

Anyone know what that com.chrome.beta:sandboxed thing is? Sometimes it shows up multiple times.

I've been getting this too lately. No clue what it relates to other than Chrome beta. Only thing I can think of is tilt scrolling or the bandwidth saver option.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

b0nes
Sep 11, 2001

kitten smoothie posted:

This matrix on the Motorola site about who can unlock what must be full of lies.

In the US, Sprint, US Cellular, and T-Mobile Moto X models can be bootloader unlocked. However, AT&T and Verizon models cannot be unlocked. For these people, there are developer edition GSM and Verizon models for sale direct from Motorola.

My reading of their blog post about reinstating warranties is that this only applies to the Developer Edition devices purchased directly from Motorola. That is, some non-DE devices are unlockable but are subject to losing your warranty.

OK Because when I opened up my Moto X DE it had a paper staring directly at me stating that i'm able to unlock my bootloader but at the expense of losing my warranty, like HTC did.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

b0nes posted:

OK Because when I opened up my Moto X DE it had a paper staring directly at me stating that i'm able to unlock my bootloader but at the expense of losing my warranty, like HTC did.

Not to pile on here, but if I'm tracking the conversation correctly, you are believing the outdated piece of paper that was in your Dev Edition box. That was the case up until recently when they changed their stance:

http://motorola-blog.blogspot.com/2013/11/you-asked-we-listened-announcing.html

So unlock away. No warranty loss as long as it's a Developer Edition.

Holy poo poo. Never even read the post above. Oops.

hotsauce fucked around with this message at 06:01 on Dec 17, 2013

Web Jew.0
May 13, 2009

Thermopyle posted:

This is a mostly wrong post.

Largely for continuing to talk about the G2, but also for lying out a false dichotomy between hw and sw.

I'll bite. The G2 dosen't even have removable storage, battery/camera's barely better, and the speakers are exactly the same as the N5's. It's also more expensive, so it's like you're paying someone $200 to slightly improve your N5's battery/camera. Except the guy also shits all over the software, makes the hardware cheaper/stupider looking, and discontinues your updates at a few months instead of two years.

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

Android 4.4.2 is being pushed out to Samsung Galaxy S4 GPe's.
Updated phone, no issues.

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008
Jesus i like the G2 I got for my wife and even I'm getting sick of the discussion.

So how about that maxx soak test? I'm excited to use NFC and extra voice commands soon, hopefully.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

b0nes posted:

That must be outdated info in the box since the blog post says requesting the unlock code on a Developer Edition will preserve your warranty, and they are retroactively reinstating warranties if they were previously voided on account of getting a code.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Roundboy posted:

So how about that maxx soak test?

I'm just trying to figure out the timing. Soak test have always started on Tuesdays. However, signs are that it isn't going to be pushed tomorrow morning and I really don't expect them to push it on Christmas Eve or New Year's Eve.

So, my guess would be later this week, or not till the 7th.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Maker Of Shoes posted:

I've been getting this too lately. No clue what it relates to other than Chrome beta. Only thing I can think of is tilt scrolling or the bandwidth saver option.

I've seen it with standard Chrome, but only in an adb shell showing running apps and memory usage. It seems to always be around, but I didn't exactly look into it

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008

bull3964 posted:

I'm just trying to figure out the timing. Soak test have always started on Tuesdays. However, signs are that it isn't going to be pushed tomorrow morning and I really don't expect them to push it on Christmas Eve or New Year's Eve.

So, my guess would be later this week, or not till the 7th.

The invites were said to say the test was starting in the next day, making it tuesday, and people said JB was a Dec release too.

The x and maxx have the same software right? Screen size should not require a new build, nor should batt size or wireless charging. Maybe some different widgets and boot animations, but those are easily exchangeable. I'm just hoping to get the full potential of the phone soon

Rusty!
Aug 25, 2005

Play Up Pompey
Pompey Play Up

ThermoPhysical posted:

Anyone know what that com.chrome.beta:sandboxed thing is? Sometimes it shows up multiple times.

Have you been using Chrome's as to homescreen feature?

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Rusty! posted:

Have you been using Chrome's as to homescreen feature?

I haven't, no.

Vagrancy
Oct 15, 2005
Master of procrastination

Craptacular! posted:

What the hell do I have to do to stop being asked what identity I want to use every time I start the YouTube app? I resisted G+ integration and now I have two "accounts" and keep having to choose one. This is the worst.

This was a couple of days back, but just in case you didn't work it out: The shift from @gmail -> G+ being the identity system means there are now up to 51 channels per Google account (1 G+ Profile/Legacy channel + 50 G+ Page channels), instead of just the one per @gmail. So to resolve it you need to go to https://www.youtube.com/channel_switcher on the Desktop, and delete the second channel that you don't need by going into its Settings. Alternatively if it has data you want to keep you could always fling the channel to an alternate @gmail address by changing the ownership of the page through Google+.

Then upgrade the lone legacy channel with the "I don't want to use my name"/G+ page option and call it a day. Those don't have a real name requirement so would fit your needs just fine (assuming that's why you were resisting it before).

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Roundboy posted:

The invites were said to say the test was starting in the next day, making it tuesday,

No, they didn't.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

bull3964 posted:

No, they didn't.

Seconding this, the email said nothing regarding specifics.

Luchadork
Feb 18, 2010

Take a look at the masked man
Beating up the wrong guy
Oh man! Wonder if he'll ever know
Chris Benoit killed his family
So now that the DROID soak tests are starting, what are the odds that the Razr HD line will get that 4.4 update next? I don't mean "the next week", just "okay now we'll get this poo poo together".

All I want is Daydreams and that swag new 4.4 lockscreen.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Anyone have a good website with information on phones on the horizon, and something that gives me an idea of when a phone will be phased out?

My contract is up at the end of April, and I would like a phone that isn't too new (because cost), but not something that is going to be long in the tooth when I get it.

I used to not give a poo poo about cameras on phones, but now since I have a kid, that poo poo is kind of important now. The most important camera features is speed (not how long it takes to launch, how long between when you click the button and it takes a picture) and low (i.e. realistic) light picture taking.

Doctor Butts fucked around with this message at 15:36 on Dec 17, 2013

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Doctor Butts posted:

I used to not give a poo poo about cameras on phones, but now since I have a kid, that poo poo is kind of important now. The most important camera features is speed (not how long it takes to launch, how long between when you click the button and it takes a picture) and low (i.e. realistic) light picture taking.
If those are your two most important features, the HTC One (designed for low light, unbelievably fast capture speed) and the Lumia 1020 (best camera by far, but you're stuck with Windows Phone if you care about that sort of thing).

Both can be found under $100ish on sale -- got my HTC One a month ago for $49 less another $20 from trade-in of a truly decrepit Galaxy S

e: By April, the HTC One 2 should be out so the One should be even cheaper.

E.T. NO HOMO
Jan 27, 2007

but you say he's
just a friend

bull3964 posted:

No, they didn't.

big mean giraffe posted:

Seconding this, the email said nothing regarding specifics.

There was an email sent out during the camera soak that said "quit mashing your update buttons, the OTA's will start tomorrow" which was a Tuesday.

I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt here cause he didn't say "last time" but yeah.. Last time.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

caveman thug poo poo posted:

There was an email sent out during the camera soak that said "quit mashing your update buttons, the OTA's will start tomorrow" which was a Tuesday.

Not quite. Believe me, I speak from experience.

They do invite *time pass* -> Ok folks, rollout will start tomorrow morning.

The first part has happened, the 2nd has not.

Camera soak test invite came a full week ahead of the actual push for the soak test. The invites went out October 28th, the soak test didn't start until November 5th.

If we were to use past timelines as an indicator, this rollout should start the 24th. But, like I said, I can't imagine them doing it on Christmas eve.

Looking back, they haven't always happened on Tuesday, but there's never been less than a week between invites and rollouts. In the case of the Razr HD/MAXX last year, there was actually a two week gap. Invites went out on the 19th of November, but the test didn't happen until the 3rd of December. So, it's not outside the realm of possibility that the rollout isn't going to start until the first full week of January and they just wanted to get the surveys out of the way and get the list lined up so they could start immediately after the holidays.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Dec 17, 2013

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

regulargonzalez posted:

e: By April, the HTC One 2 should be out so the One should be even cheaper.

I really, really hope they don't go with that naming scheme.

Honestly, I don't understand why tech companies insist on putting numbers into their products names, other than to refer to the iteration of said product (and even then it can get stupid, look at the Nexus situation.) All it does it make for awkward and goofy naming schemes, then eventually get abandoned. Using "One" is the worst...Hell, HTC already USED "One" as a name with the One S/One X. By naming the NEWER version just "One", it almost seems like a step backwards.

So maybe we'll get the HTC One 2, and then the Nexus 5 2*, and in several years maybe the X-Bone One 2. Really, really dumb.

*Actually, if I had to guess, they'll just keep calling it the Nexus 5 and refer to the different version by the year it came out, like the Nexus 7.

amenenema
Feb 10, 2003

DrBouvenstein posted:

*Actually, if I had to guess, they'll just keep calling it the Nexus 5 and refer to the different version by the year it came out, like the Nexus 7.

While there's a lot wrong with the auto industry, I do wish tech would follow their "pick a model name and stick with it/designate by year it was released" paradigm.

Can you imagine how much simpler shopping for stuff like TV's would be?

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

DrBouvenstein posted:

HTC already USED "One" as a name with the One S/One X. By naming the NEWER version just "One", it almost seems like a step backwards.

I don't know which I found funnier. The fact that they reused "One", or that the original "One" came in 3 different models.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

amenenema posted:

While there's a lot wrong with the auto industry, I do wish tech would follow their "pick a model name and stick with it/designate by year it was released" paradigm.

As someone who owns a Nexus 7, no that sucks.

Searches are horrible. You can search for Nexus 7 2013, but then you are just as likely to get information about the previous Nexus 7 with a post that was made in 2013. Similarly, a search for Nexus 7 2012 is likely to miss a ton of stuff since it wasn't called the Nexus 7 2012 when it was released. It's also just as likely to pick up rumor articles about the next Nexus 7 written in 2012.

I have the same frustration with the Droid MAXX. Searching for Droid MAXX gets me results for Droid Razr MAXX and Droid Razr MAXX HD.

For all of samsungs faults, they are doing it mostly right. I can search for SGS3 or SGS4 and get expected results.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

bull3964 posted:

As someone who owns a Nexus 7, no that sucks.

Searches are horrible. You can search for Nexus 7 2013, but then you are just as likely to get information about the previous Nexus 7 with a post that was made in 2013. Similarly, a search for Nexus 7 2012 is likely to miss a ton of stuff since it wasn't called the Nexus 7 2012 when it was released. It's also just as likely to pick up rumor articles about the next Nexus 7 written in 2012.

I have the same frustration with the Droid MAXX. Searching for Droid MAXX gets me results for Droid Razr MAXX and Droid Razr MAXX HD.

For all of samsungs faults, they are doing it mostly right. I can search for SGS3 or SGS4 and get expected results.

Have you tried using quotes when you search? E.g. "Nexus 7 2013", "Nexus 7 (2013)", or "Droid MAXX" (for that last one, you could even throw in a -razr to clarify further).

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

hooah posted:

Have you tried using quotes when you search? E.g. "Nexus 7 2013", "Nexus 7 (2013)", or "Droid MAXX" (for that last one, you could even throw in a -razr to clarify further).

Yes, I've tried all different combinations and they are all terrible and either miss results or bring in results that aren't wanted.

For example, if you use '-razr', you basically eliminate any article that makes passing mention to last year's model.

For the Nexus 7, you hit part of the issue. It can be 2013 Nexus 7, Nexus 7 2013, Nexus 7 '13, Nexus 7 (2013) or even Nexus 7 FHD. None of that would be an issue if you could search on a clearly defined model name/number.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

amenenema posted:

Cars manufactures do not actually do this. Cars do have a model name and year, but they actually have an internal model number typically a "body type". For example, the BMW 3 series in the 80's was an E30 body type, then E46 in the 90's and then E90 in the past decade. It's changed since then. So when you have a BMW 3 from like 85-92, it's an E30, and they are all pretty similar.

It'd make more sense for Asus to have a Nexus 7, but then have a regular model number, like how Samsung has the "Galaxy S4" but it's actually model is "SGH-I545". It makes much more sense.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Jerk McJerkface posted:

Cars manufactures do not actually do this. Cars do have a model name and year, but they actually have an internal model number typically a "body type". For example, the BMW 3 series in the 80's was an E30 body type, then E46 in the 90's and then E90 in the past decade. It's changed since then. So when you have a BMW 3 from like 85-92, it's an E30, and they are all pretty similar.

It'd make more sense for Asus to have a Nexus 7, but then have a regular model number, like how Samsung has the "Galaxy S4" but it's actually model is "SGH-I545". It makes much more sense.

Isn't that what he basically just said? I'd venture to say that the majority people don't know/don't care about their car's internal identifier, only that it's a whatever year model make, which is then fairly easy to look up.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players
Am I going crazy or is the GEL changing the way the pages work? Right now when I'm at my home screen it shows 3 dots, with the center one bigger because I'm on that screen. There's a dot to the left for Google Now and a dot to the right for my second screen. That's how I expect it to work. Last night there were three dots and a plus like I was adding a widget or whatever, and I could even slide to the empty page.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Doctor rear end in a top hat posted:

Am I going crazy or is the GEL changing the way the pages work? Right now when I'm at my home screen it shows 3 dots, with the center one bigger because I'm on that screen. There's a dot to the left for Google Now and a dot to the right for my second screen. That's how I expect it to work. Last night there were three dots and a plus like I was adding a widget or whatever, and I could even slide to the empty page.

The + appears when you tap and hold on an icon/widget to move it.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

CLAM DOWN posted:

The + appears when you tap and hold on an icon/widget to move it.
But I wasn't doing that. I could slide over to the empty page.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

Mine does that sometimes as well, usually after I make a change to my widgets. No idea what "resets" it.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Weird, must be something that gets stuck.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

DrBouvenstein posted:

Honestly, I don't understand why tech companies insist on putting numbers into their products names, other than to refer to the iteration of said product (and even then it can get stupid, look at the Nexus situation.) All it does it make for awkward and goofy naming schemes, then eventually get abandoned. Using "One" is the worst...Hell, HTC already USED "One" as a name with the One S/One X. By naming the NEWER version just "One", it almost seems like a step backwards.

At least it's better than "The New iPad"

bull3964 posted:

Yes, I've tried all different combinations and they are all terrible and either miss results or bring in results that aren't wanted.

Have you tried not using Google, if you are? It's loving awful now for trying to second-guess what you typed, even stuff in quotes will end up with words switched out. It makes searching for really specific things (especially technical stuff) a real pain

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Athenry posted:

Mine does that sometimes as well, usually after I make a change to my widgets. No idea what "resets" it.

It's this. It eventually goes away after a few idle states.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Ok then

baka kaba posted:

At least it's better than "The New iPad"
Oh gawd don't get me started on that.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

I'm not sure if this is an app thing, a CM11 thing, or a KitKat thing, so I'm posting it in this thread.

One of the things that's always irritated me about Android and my Galaxy Nexus is that if I get out of my vehicle for a while and whatever it was that I was listening to via BT gets kicked out of memory, when I get back in vehicle, pressing the Play button on my head unit doesn't do anything. If whatever app that was playing audio hasn't been kicked out of memory, then pressing Play on the head unit will resume playing.

Well anyway, I'm not sure if this is KitKat or something CM11 has done, but this behavior seems to have been changed somehow.

Yesterday I was listening to a podcast when I got home. Yesterday evening, I upgraded to the latest CM11 nightly (which of course involves rebooting the phone, so there is no chance Pocket Casts was still in memory).

This morning I pressed Play on my head unit and it resumed playing the pod cast I was listening to yesterday. Hooray!

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

$100 premium for wood back plate on the Moto X. $100 for a piece of wood.

Argyle
Jun 7, 2001

FogHelmut posted:

$100 premium for wood back plate on the Moto X. $100 for a piece of wood.

And they only have bamboo instead of the 3 or 4 that they teased previously. Paying an extra $100 on a $100 (on-contract) phone is asking a bit much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
I agree it's a bit much but man, dis is sexy.

• Locked thread