Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Snake is apparently a child, but they asked a question that gave them a distinct advantage at the cost of the other players. Either their handlers are good, or they are a very dangerous individual. Their mask indicates the latter, I think.

Doe asked the most important question by far, while bending the one-question rule nearly in half; how would that mask relate to her apparent intelligence? Or is it not her most important asset?

Spider seems like an incredibly poor candidate. There's something important there, but nothing yet to go on.

Owl doesn't seem very wise at first blush.

What kind of ability would seem appropriate to slap a sheep mask onto? As far as I've ever read they're not notable for any innate strengths :v:

I think the masks' securing points probably double as a connection point to the brain; this is mostly going off of Wes's observation that he is seeing through the eyes of his mask, not his own.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

Do you like superheroes? Check out my CYOA Mutants: Uprising

How about weird historical fiction? Try Vampires of the Caribbean

I don't like that we're only going to be able to read past the first three chapters with one of these stories. :colbert: I want to read them all!

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Face is getting very interesting, at first I was worried it would be a hunger games/battle royale ripoff but it seems to have some meat to it.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
Wildbow is skipping Face 3 and has posted the first chapter of Boil. It's the most interesting so far, IMO.

Fellwenner
Oct 21, 2005
Don't make me kill you.

Yep, really interesting so far. He got things going pretty quickly.

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

Corona rules everything around me
C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

Fellwenner posted:

Yep, really interesting so far. He got things going pretty quickly.

I enjoyed the story also. I haven't read much steampunk or "biopunk" as Wildbow calls it. Is there a default series that everyone should read as their first read of the genre?

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
It's not steampunk. This isn't a story set in a dystopian industrial age of steam, this is a story set in an alternate timeline where mad science of the wet variety actually worked. The story is about biotechnology and the dystopian society that depends on it.

Basically any good *punk is about X and the dystopian society that depends on it. Steampunk was co-opted by idiots who want to dress up as the ruling class of the setting and I am still angry about that :argh:

If you want to read punk stuff check out William Gibson, he's pretty much a founder of the genre. Most of this stuff is cyberpunk, but The Difference Engine is steampunk.

Also I read a decent book called The Windup Girl a while back, it's biopunk set in a future Thailand.

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

Corona rules everything around me
C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

Tollymain posted:

It's not steampunk. This isn't a story set in a dystopian industrial age of steam, this is a story set in an alternate timeline where mad science of the wet variety actually worked. The story is about biotechnology and the dystopian society that depends on it.

Basically any good *punk is about X and the dystopian society that depends on it. Steampunk was co-opted by idiots who want to dress up as the ruling class of the setting and I am still angry about that :argh:

If you want to read punk stuff check out William Gibson, he's pretty much a founder of the genre. Most of this stuff is cyberpunk, but The Difference Engine is steampunk.

Also I read a decent book called The Windup Girl a while back, it's biopunk set in a future Thailand.

Ok thanks, I'll check some of those out.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

Tollymain posted:

Language changes, steampunk is just "GEARS AND STEAM, generally in a Late 1800s setting" now. Get used to it.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
NEVER

The new definition of Steampunk sucks :(

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
Boil is pretty good. I like how it doesn't downplay how sexist and classist the Victorian mad scientists are. (Worm had some similar themes, although they became less important over time.) There's a bit too much technobabble, though.

Silver2195 fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Dec 10, 2013

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
I like Boil better than the first two story attempts.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

withak posted:

I like Boil better than the first two story attempts.

I like it better than Peer, but I'm not sure about Face. They're different kinds of stories, I suppose: Face has an essentially closed setup, while Boil is much more conceptually open-ended, maybe too much so; Bonesaw's powers were obnoxiously do-anything at times, and this is basically a world of Bonesaws, albeit ones that work on more realistic time frames.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Silver2195 posted:

a world of Bonesaws

Well when you put it that way :stonk:

Fellwenner
Oct 21, 2005
Don't make me kill you.

New multiplayer game, World of Bonesaw. I think it would be fun as hell.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I'm just joking around I thought it was pretty obvious that the biopunk concept would have a lot of unpleasantness running around.

World of Bonesaws sounds like a freaky strategy game.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

I think it's likely Wildbow is going to pick one of the later two stories. He admittedly didn't like Peer and he skipped out on writing chapter 3 of Face, so...

Grouchy Fish
Aug 24, 2006
He said that chapter 3 of face wouldn't have really added anything new except a teaser he wouldn't be able to deliver on but that he would go back for two more chapters if there's time before the new year. That said, I think boil is the clear front runner at this point but who knows how good the last one will be.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib
One of my friends put me onto Worm a couple of weeks ago and gave me an epub with all of the chapters. It started out as something light and entertaining I read at work and after spending 50 hours on planes this week I have gotten up to 12.2 and found out it is less light and YA than I thought. It is also really awesome. I find it particularly cool how a lot of powers which in a comic format you'd think of as being very meh are pushed to their limits to make the supe in question a credible threat (although to be fair I think of the setting as being a bit low-powered compared to the types of capes you run into in the major comic settings, so in those settings the powers might in fact be meh). According to my Kindle I am only 25% in so I expect this to only get better. I think the only thing I've found weak is that I haven't found Taylor particularly interesting compared to some of the other viewpoints. She's not terrible or grating and serves a purpose as the protagonist, though, so it's not horrible. Well, other than the Brian attraction. That is odious.

Neurosis fucked around with this message at 05:42 on Dec 14, 2013

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Boil is def. the best of the samples so far.

Coca Koala
Nov 28, 2005

ongoing nowhere
College Slice
I was more interested in Face when we got the twist that everybody goes out and lives their normal lives during the day and then is in the Battle Royale situation at night, which seemed like a fun way to mix up the BR/Hunger Games/Saw formula that was shaping up.

But I'm a huge fan of private detective stories so I'll probably cast my vote for Boil, unless the last one blows me away.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Neurosis posted:

One of my friends put me onto Worm a couple of weeks ago and gave me an epub with all of the chapters. It started out as something light and entertaining I read at work and after spending 50 hours on planes this week I have gotten up to 12.2 and found out it is less light and YA than I thought. It is also really awesome. I find it particularly cool how a lot of powers which in a comic format you'd think of as being very meh are pushed to their limits to make the supe in question a credible threat (although to be fair I think of the setting as being a bit low-powered compared to the types of capes you run into in the major comic settings, so in those settings the powers might in fact be meh). According to my Kindle I am only 25% in so I expect this to only get better. I think the only thing I've found weak is that I haven't found Taylor particularly interesting compared to some of the other viewpoints. She's not terrible or grating and serves a purpose as the protagonist, though, so it's not horrible. Well, other than the Brian attraction. That is odious.

I don't see why Taylor's feelings toward Brian are particularly odious. He's probably the least evil of the other Undersiders.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

Silver2195 posted:

I don't see why Taylor's feelings toward Brian are particularly odious. He's probably the least evil of the other Undersiders.

Probably because I find that part of the story by far the least interesting part so reading about it is a chore.

veekie
Dec 25, 2007

Dice of Chaos
I thought it was just mostly going on in the background for the most part. Mostly a minor subplot.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib
Yeah it's minor, that's why I find it kind of annoying but it doesn't colour my overall impression of the serial much. I'm recommending it to other friends.

Of the main characters, I must say that so far Tattletale is the best. She is craftier than a shithouse rat... Although I get the sense she's loving nuts under the surface and look forward to finding out more!

why oh WHY
Apr 25, 2012

So like I said, not my fault. Nobody can judge me for it.
But, yeah...
Okay.
I admit it.
Human teenager Rainbow Dash was hot!
People new to Worm are adorable.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib
It's a long serial so it will be a long time before I am enlightened as the rest. Feel free to laugh at my posts until then.

Regent is cool in addition to Tattletale because he is such a beautiful oval office. What he did to Shadow Stalker when he first possessed her felt completely appropriate and I found it hard to feel too disgusted.

Dietrich
Sep 11, 2001

Boil is shaping up nicely.

Baby Babbeh
Aug 2, 2005

It's hard to soar with the eagles when you work with Turkeys!!

Neurosis posted:

It gets a LOT more high-powered at the end.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

A new Ra update has been posted, Direct Sunlight, in which the Wheels must ask for help, and we learn what Ra really is.

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

gently caress. Don't know if I want Boil or Pact more. Both come off really strong.

Grouchy Fish
Aug 24, 2006
I gotta say I prefer Pact. Boil had a really neat setting but it lacked any real tension which is where Wildbow really shines as an author. That doesn't preclude tension from developing farther along Boil's timeline, but judging from what we have I think Pact is the winner so far. I guess it helps that the whole urban fantasy genre is a favorite of mine.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Young Orc
Yeah, I like Pact the best (though Boil is a close second).

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

I'll wait for the second Pact to choose, but right now I like Boil more.

packsmack
Jan 6, 2013

Grouchy Fish posted:

I gotta say I prefer Pact. Boil had a really neat setting but it lacked any real tension which is where Wildbow really shines as an author. That doesn't preclude tension from developing farther along Boil's timeline, but judging from what we have I think Pact is the winner so far. I guess it helps that the whole urban fantasy genre is a favorite of mine.

I haven't read pact yet. But, I don't really see how there is mo tension. She's setting herself up to be a terrorist. I was getting a lot of vibes similar to the first mistborn book.

Grouchy Fish
Aug 24, 2006
I agree that she is setting herself up to do cool things in Boil, but I was really just referring to what actually happened in the first 2 chapters. I mean, we could speculate all we want about what could happen in any of the previews and I have faith that all of them would be fun reads given the quality of Worm. In Boil, we knew that it was fairly common for students to get expelled and that they routinely set up shop in the city. This made it seem like the protagonist's escape from prison was unnecessary, especially when they didn't find her smuggled tech. The whole thing just felt a little forced to me. I feel like there are real stakes in Pact and at the end of the first update I found myself wanting another much more than with Boil.

At the end of the day, I think they would all make good stories but Pact has my vote so far.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I think it was explained pretty well why she was in prison and carried out an escape plan to leave that prison. They were likely going to turn her into some kind of thinking machine, which sounds like a pretty horrifying fate.

Right now I'm kind of undecided in general though.

Wildbow noted in the comments that they felt the most comfortable with this story so far, so that's probably going to be the thing that tips my opinion. Happy writers create better stories v:shobon:v

Grouchy Fish
Aug 24, 2006
The reason why she went to prison made sense (they wanted to check her for smuggled tech), it was her justification for escape that didn't sit well with me. We have to believe the protagonist with the whole imminent thinking machine fate, but given the apparently booming black market made up of dropouts, the rationale felt forced.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
Thoughts on Pact so far:

• The family argument initially struck me as a bit too over the top, but then I realized that this is basically the explosion after years of buildup; usually they're probably more passive-aggressive.
  • Paige and Molly are fairly likable, a bit more so than Blake, although none of the three are particularly complex or memorable so far. There's a lot we don't know yet about Blake, though. Pity Molly died so soon.
  • The visions are a neat (maybe slightly contrived) device to convey the feel of the setting early on without breaking the first-person perspective. I'm not sure the feel of the setting is all that unique, though. We'll probably see more defining elements later, admittedly; in Worm, the Endbringers, Cauldron, the superpower classifications, passengers, and even trigger events weren't introduced for a while.
  • A Twilight joke in 2013, almost 2014...but I smiled at it anyway.
  • Is the gimmick of this story going to be that the main character doesn't leave his house? Because that has the potential to get pretty boring.
  • Where is Jacob's Bell, anyway? New England, maybe? Blake identifying the woman in one of his visions as "aboriginal" is probably a Canadianism accidentally slipping through, like Canary being familiar with Newfoundland accents.

It's not exactly bad, but I'm not sure where the enthusiasm is coming from. I prefer Face and Boil.

Silver2195 fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Dec 18, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Einander
Sep 14, 2008

"Yeh've forged a magnificent sword."

"This one's only practice. The real sword I intend to forge will be three times longer."

"Can there really be a sword as monstrous as that in this world?"

"Yes. I can see that sword... Somewhere out there..."
I am okay with anything that is not Boil, but I'd prefer Face. Boil just left me completely cold for some reason, which is kind of depressing. It'd be nice to like it as much as everyone else.

• Locked thread