Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hardcordion
Feb 5, 2008

BARK BARK BARK
I love it when a plan comes together.

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/pokebanksmogondoublesbeta-70558711

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inudeku
Jul 13, 2008
Sooo choice band ferrothorn 2hkos mega khan, Ohko both togekiss and azumarill, can explode Ohko talonflame, and nets a ton more 2hkos on garchomp and other common threats.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Countblanc posted:

This is a really cool team, but I can't tell if they were just over-over-predicting against your Xatu or if he or she was just bad.

I'd go with just bad. I did overpredict against breloom which was almost costly, should have just fired off a psychic on it. His team doesn't really have any kind of strategy, just picking a bunch of 'good things' like skarm, bliss, breloom, kanga, etc.

Inudeku posted:

Sooo choice band ferrothorn 2hkos mega khan, Ohko both togekiss and azumarill, can explode Ohko talonflame, and nets a ton more 2hkos on garchomp and other common threats.

CB Ferrothorn is a great set if you have the room and setup for it. Also the manliness.

Was your plan as rock solid as your opponents? :haw:

Zoness fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Dec 17, 2013

Inudeku
Jul 13, 2008
I'd be willing to bet that paired with a talonflame, theycan rid a majority of prebank ou in 2 turns. While still being bulky

Mr. Whale
Apr 9, 2009
Testing out a new team. No real synergy just yet, just seeing how some of these guys play out.

http://pokemonshowdown.com/replay/oubeta-70573905

I think I really need a stealth rock setter for gyarados, but there's just so few things that can use it right now. I'm actually considering steelix right now.

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/oubeta-70576537

Watch as a tree carries a team on its limbs!

Watch as a man misses every single move in the game and gets RIDICULOUSLY salty

All this and more!

I should have just used loving aqua jet

Dred Cosmonaut
Jan 6, 2010

There once was a tiger-striped cat.
I heartily approve of FLCL ost team

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

I had initially just named Scolipede RUNNERS HIGH but the infection spread.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Ruggington posted:

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/oubeta-70576537

Watch as a tree carries a team on its limbs!

Watch as a man misses every single move in the game and gets RIDICULOUSLY salty

All this and more!

I should have just used loving aqua jet

Shouldn't have swords danced at all - bug buzz goes through sub which your opponent probably forgot too.

I guess it could have been a prediction on both your parts but bug buzz would have just wrecked there.

vvv Some crazy people like bulky volcarona which I don't understand but it is a thing.

Zoness fucked around with this message at 05:10 on Dec 17, 2013

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

Zoness posted:

Shouldn't have swords danced at all - bug buzz goes through sub which your opponent probably forgot too.

I guess it could have been a prediction on both your parts but bug buzz would have just wrecked there.

I figured he would switch since crabhammer would tear that thing in half regardless, but when he showed Drill Run on Excadrill I realized that I might have over-estimated him.

Also watching Assault Vest Excadrill gobble up that firey dance makes me really happy.

Doing the calcs now and I have no idea what is going on. Modest +2 volcarona OHKO's 100% of the time, Timid does 90% minimum. Both variants outspeed timid chandelure as well. Did he just not give it any EV's? :psyduck:

^^^^^ Now that's just silly

Ruggington fucked around with this message at 05:31 on Dec 17, 2013

heytallman
Aug 30, 2013

Is not actually tall.
Somebody, tell me that I am crazy and that I should never attempt this again:

I put Thief on my Scizor and am running him with no item. ONLY because I noticed that at some point, they had buffed Thief to be base 60 power, so it would actually hit pretty hard after the Technician boost. I played one match and stole a Rocky Helmet off of a Gastrodon, and was more than happy.

How bad is this idea?

edit for stats:

Scizor @ nothing, Adamant 252 HP 252 Attack

Thief
Bullet Punch
Swords Dance
Roost

heytallman fucked around with this message at 07:49 on Dec 17, 2013

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

heytallman posted:

I put Thief on my Scizor and am running him with no item. ONLY because I noticed that at some point, they had buffed Thief to be base 60 power, so it would actually hit pretty hard after the Technician boost. I played one match and stole a Rocky Helmet off of a Gastrodon, and was more than happy.

How bad is this idea?

Depends - Bulky Scizor is probably fine with it but CB scizor generally prefers Pursuit.

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

gawrsh do you think any women will be there

Just had two battles where Starmie pretty much cleaned up entire teams. What a 'Mon:

MGXG-WWWW-WWW3-Z9XL

6J4W-WWWW-WWW3-Z9XJ

Pomplamoose
Jun 28, 2008

heytallman posted:

How bad is this idea?

edit for stats:

Thief
Bullet Punch
Swords Dance
Roost

You should use a berry instead of nothing.

Zoness posted:

Specifically Occa Berry.

I don't want to endorse that particular set too much, but you'd get more use out of sitrus (HP recovery) or lum (status recovery) berries. The chances of one of those activating is greater than occa berry (fire resist) activating, and a lot of fire moves will still KO even with occa since it's still 2x weak.

Pomplamoose fucked around with this message at 08:34 on Dec 17, 2013

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Sebadoh Gigante posted:

You should use a berry instead of nothing.

Specifically Occa Berry.

Also http://pokemonshowdown.com/replay/oubeta-70616928. Been messing with the Volt-Turn core. Honestly find that there's not a lot of good Volt Turners pre-bank. Also sturdy is pretty hilarious, and nobody (not even me) knows what Heliolisk does.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Ruggington posted:

I had initially just named Scolipede RUNNERS HIGH but the infection spread.

No BLUES DRIVE MONSTER no dice. It's their best song....

ZenMasterBullshit fucked around with this message at 08:23 on Dec 17, 2013

John Carstairs
Nov 18, 2007
Space Detective

dorkasaurus_rex posted:

Just had two battles where Starmie pretty much cleaned up entire teams. What a 'Mon:

MGXG-WWWW-WWW3-Z9XL

6J4W-WWWW-WWW3-Z9XJ

As the internet nerd who traded you that Starmie's baby daddy/mama/whatever, I couldn't be prouder. :patriot:

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

heytallman posted:

How bad is this idea?

edit for stats:

Thief
Bullet Punch
Swords Dance
Roost

It's a funny gimmick but there are lots of better alternatives to no item, mostly in the form of consumable items. Like people said you can use berries (although then you can't steal unless the condition is fulfilled), but you can also do something like use a Dark Gem if you have access to it. The way it works is Dark Gem will activate as soon as you use Thief to give you a 135 BP dark move before you steal whatever. Or you can equip a Red Card. Spend a turn doing Swords dance, when they hit you trying to force you out they get switched and you can spend a turn stealing.

The problem is that you don't really have a hard hitting move if you do this. Something like Bug Bite is way stronger because of the STAB, U-Turn is good because of the switching if you're not using boosts. There's also no guarantee you'll steal something useful. If you really want to mess up people's item choices Knock Off has been buffed to be way better, it's ~100BP when it knocks off an item and 65BP otherwise. Also a lot of fighting types get it and now have a reliable way to mess up ghosts who try to counter them.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

It's a funny gimmick but there are lots of better alternatives to no item, mostly in the form of consumable items. Like people said you can use berries (although then you can't steal unless the condition is fulfilled), but you can also do something like use a Dark Gem if you have access to it. The way it works is Dark Gem will activate as soon as you use Thief to give you a 135 BP dark move before you steal whatever. Or you can equip a Red Card. Spend a turn doing Swords dance, when they hit you trying to force you out they get switched and you can spend a turn stealing.

The problem is that you don't really have a hard hitting move if you do this. Something like Bug Bite is way stronger because of the STAB, U-Turn is good because of the switching if you're not using boosts. There's also no guarantee you'll steal something useful. If you really want to mess up people's item choices Knock Off has been buffed to be way better, it's ~100BP when it knocks off an item and 65BP otherwise. Also a lot of fighting types get it and now have a reliable way to mess up ghosts who try to counter them.

In addition, Thief is pretty lame on Scizor when you could be using Thief/Fling/Acrobatics/Substitute Poison Heal Gliscor which is one of the best sets ever.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
Wonder Trade is a wonderful thing. I got an Eevee named Arin Hanson and I now regret trading it away for a Chansey whose previous owner was Gigglenips.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

heytallman posted:

How bad is this idea?

edit for stats:

Thief
Bullet Punch
Swords Dance
Roost

The problem is that you don't really have a hard hitting move if you do this. Something like Bug Bite is way stronger because of the STAB, U-Turn is good because of the switching if you're not using boosts. There's also no guarantee you'll steal something useful.

If you really want to mess up people's item choices Knock Off has been buffed to be way better, it's ~100BP when it knocks off an item and 65BP otherwise. Also a lot of fighting types get it and now have a reliable way to mess up ghosts who try to counter them. Scizor doesn't get it but a LOT of stuff does that you wouldn't expect.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

If you really want to mess up people's item choices Knock Off has been buffed to be way better, it's ~100BP when it knocks off an item and 65BP otherwise. Also a lot of fighting types get it and now have a reliable way to mess up ghosts who try to counter them. Scizor doesn't get it but a LOT of stuff does that you wouldn't expect.

Scizor can't get Knock Off until Pokebank hits. Pursuit is generally the best Dark move to put on Scizor, since it tends to force switches.

vvv I don't like Rotom-W. I probably should but ugh I just have horrible hatred for that thing. Also not a huge fan of crobat since it doesn't do much to check Tyranitar, M-Kanga, or Aegislash and I've been able to cripple them really easily with Sableye.

Zoness fucked around with this message at 09:09 on Dec 17, 2013

Immer
Aug 11, 2009

It's what they were born for.
They serve no other purpose in life.
Keep doing what you're doing.

Zoness posted:

Specifically Occa Berry.

Also http://pokemonshowdown.com/replay/oubeta-70616928. Been messing with the Volt-Turn core. Honestly find that there's not a lot of good Volt Turners pre-bank. Also sturdy is pretty hilarious, and nobody (not even me) knows what Heliolisk does.

There's always the tried and true Rotom-W/Scizor combo. When I go up against stallish teams, I like Rotom-W/Crobat:

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/oubeta-70611873

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
I'm going to go against the grain here, and say something.

Infiltraitor Chandelure is better than Shadow Tag.

Chandelure doesn't get any better recovery than Pain Split, doesn't get Disable, or even Hypnosis. Yeah, it can stall someone, and hide behind a Substitute, but then what? It doesn't have the coverage to be a uniformly-insane shitwrecker like SubSable SB/DG Gengar can. Essentially, it would have lived its whole life as a poor man's Mega Gengar. And I think it deserves better than that.

But as an Infiltraitor? Chandelure gets a new lease on life. The perfect revenge killer. Better than even Impostor Ditto, because Ditto can't deal with Subs. Hell, Ditto is shut down by Subs. Infillure don't give a gently caress. Gengar? Shadow Ball. Guaranteed OKHO even on full-health, max HP. Gliscor, the Poison-healing fucker? Shut down by HP Ice. Salamance? OKHOed. Multiscale Dragonite? You get down some rocks, that fucker's going down, too. Hell, if you're Brave enough to run Specs over Scarf, you will OHKO him THROUGH his goddamn multiscale. Shielded Aegislash? Overheat's an OHKO even in Shield Form, and Chandelure is just bulky enough to tough out a Shadow Sneak. After Rocks.

What I'm saying is that Infiltraitor Chandelure is amazing and I love him.

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

Property was their religion
A church for one

Immer posted:

There's always the tried and true Rotom-W/Scizor combo. When I go up against stallish teams, I like Rotom-W/Crobat:

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/oubeta-70611873
Why did you recall Rotom on Turn 18 instead of using Volt Switch? I didn't see any ground types.

The double shell smash. :psyduck:

Immer
Aug 11, 2009

Sanctum posted:

Why did you recall Rotom on Turn 18 instead of using Volt Switch? I didn't see any ground types.

That was just me having a brain fart. I was scared of getting Encored into Rest, but I forgot that Shuckle is slow as hell.

I also found the double Shell Smash amusing haha. -2 Defense? Don't mind if I do!

BattleCake
Mar 12, 2012

The Leper Colon V posted:

I'm going to go against the grain here, and say something.

Infiltraitor Chandelure is better than Shadow Tag.

Chandelure doesn't get any better recovery than Pain Split, doesn't get Disable, or even Hypnosis. Yeah, it can stall someone, and hide behind a Substitute, but then what? It doesn't have the coverage to be a uniformly-insane shitwrecker like SubSable SB/DG Gengar can. Essentially, it would have lived its whole life as a poor man's Mega Gengar. And I think it deserves better than that.

But as an Infiltraitor? Chandelure gets a new lease on life. The perfect revenge killer. Better than even Impostor Ditto, because Ditto can't deal with Subs. Hell, Ditto is shut down by Subs. Infillure don't give a gently caress. Gengar? Shadow Ball. Guaranteed OKHO even on full-health, max HP. Gliscor, the Poison-healing fucker? Shut down by HP Ice. Salamance? OKHOed. Multiscale Dragonite? You get down some rocks, that fucker's going down, too. Hell, if you're Brave enough to run Specs over Scarf, you will OHKO him THROUGH his goddamn multiscale. Shielded Aegislash? Overheat's an OHKO even in Shield Form, and Chandelure is just bulky enough to tough out a Shadow Sneak. After Rocks.

What I'm saying is that Infiltraitor Chandelure is amazing and I love him.

Er, but Chandelure doesn't get Shadow Tag? Unless I'm parsing that part wrong.

edit: Cool post though, sounds promising. I really like Chandelure's design so I might just breed one up that's just like yours. Thanks for the idea!

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

BattleCake posted:

Er, but Chandelure doesn't get Shadow Tag? Unless I'm parsing that part wrong.
Shadow Tag was his (impossible-to-get) HA in G5. There was speculation right up until the end about whether it'd push him to ubers or not.

Go Modest, give him a Scarf. Fourthmove is probably best as Energy Ball, but Psychic or Dark Pulse works, too.

MinistryofLard
Mar 22, 2013

Goblin babies did nothing wrong.

Sanctum posted:

I run a cloyster with a focus sash. If I'm still at full health with one level of shell smash (say, opposing garchomp decided to swords dance) I'll do it again. :shrug:

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

The Leper Colon V posted:

Shadow Tag was his (impossible-to-get) HA in G5. There was speculation right up until the end about whether it'd push him to ubers or not.

Go Modest, give him a Scarf. Fourthmove is probably best as Energy Ball, but Psychic or Dark Pulse works, too.

Don't go Modest on a Scarf set, Chandelure is slow enough as it is don't throw away your ability to outspeed +1 Adamant Dragonite, +1 Jolly Mega Tyranitar, +1 Jolly Tyrantrum, base 130s and the ability to at least Speed Tie +1 Jolly Dragonite.

Also Dark Pulse is completely redundant with Shadow Ball. Use Energy Ball or even Flamethrower for the accuracy, but probably Energy Ball.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Huh. I'd always gone for the Modest, but I guess Timid does provide some important speed boosts.

I should probably learn the tiers one of these days.

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

Property was their religion
A church for one

MinistryofLard posted:

I run a cloyster with a focus sash. If I'm still at full health with one level of shell smash (say, opposing garchomp decided to swords dance) I'll do it again. :shrug:
There's that and probably some other very specific scenarios, but in immer's battle the dude was running a life orb cloyster who be brought back out with 69% HP and proceeded to double-shell smash. :gonk:

I had my first Showdown battles today, and in my very first match I opened with a hippodown using yawn at his gardevior, so he switches in with a cloyster and shell smashes. I honestly had no idea what to expect after yawning on my first ever turn in Showdown, new territory and all, so I stockpiled while he switched and yawned after he brought the cloyster in since I figured I'd easily eat any super-effective water/ice attack. After shell-smashing into a yawn he just as bizarrely committed to a 2nd turn attacking with the shell-smashed cloyster and being sleep statused.

Cue me bringing out my Omastar from my gimmick all rock dino-team + token hippodown (my team in GenV, it's lovely but I'm familiar with it) and shell-smashing while he was asleep then sweeping half his team before he forfeited.

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.

Sanctum posted:

There's that and probably some other very specific scenarios, but in immer's battle the dude was running a life orb cloyster who be brought back out with 69% HP and proceeded to double-shell smash. :gonk:

I can only think that maybe he was expecting a Sucker Punch, although honestly if he was running Ice Shard then he should have just KOed with that and if he wasn't then playing mind games with Shell Smash probably wasn't gonna save him.

JesustheDarkLord
May 22, 2006

#VolsDeep
Lipstick Apathy

Dr. Red Ranger posted:

Would he really be that bad as a wall on a just for fun team though? Seems like just the thing for tripping up dragon danced outragers and hazarding with his impressive defenses.

Hey, add me so I can get a prankster Sableye from your safari. 1118-0240-7042.

Gnarly Bae Jepsen
Jul 12, 2007

Manic Pixie Dick Girl

JesustheDarkLord posted:

Hey, add me so I can get a prankster Sableye from your safari. 1118-0240-7042.

I have 31/x/31/x/31/31 Pankster Sableyes with Recover if you want to trade another 4 IV mon.

JesustheDarkLord
May 22, 2006

#VolsDeep
Lipstick Apathy

Militree posted:

I have 31/x/31/x/31/31 Pankster Sableyes with Recover if you want to trade another 4 IV mon.

That also works! I have Eevee, Beldum, Magikarp, kangaskhan, ferrothorn, protean froakie, and dratini. Some of them are 5iv because I quit keeping 4s

ServoMST3K
Nov 30, 2009

You look like a Cracker Jack box with a bad prize inside
I found a hidden ability Foongus and a hidden ability Nosepass. I officially rule.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

MinistryofLard posted:

I'm not a fan of sash cloyster unless you can reliably use him as a lead. Tyranitar and Hazards tend to wear away at his sash pretty effectively and make the way for priority.

King's Rock (or White Herb if you're not a real man) all the way.

Also U-turn lead into a Rotom isn't something Cloyster likes at the start of the match, and later on it's hard to get in with hazards cleared unless you devote a lot of slots to setting up for cloyster (which can work just fine, it just generally isn't how I go about building teams)

Also for some reason I think it would make sense if bulletproof protected you from Icicle Spear and Rock Blast. Make Chesnaught the perfect Cloyster counter (as opposed to being useless)!

Zoness fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Dec 17, 2013

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Zoness posted:

I'm not a fan of sash cloyster unless you can reliably use him as a lead. Tyranitar and Hazards tend to wear away at his sash pretty effectively and make the way for priority.

King's Rock (or White Herb if you're not a real man) all the way.

Also U-turn lead into a Rotom isn't something Cloyster likes at the start of the match, and later on it's hard to get in with hazards cleared unless you devote a lot of slots to setting up for cloyster (which can work just fine, it just generally isn't how I go about building teams)

Also for some reason I think it would make sense if bulletproof protected you from Icicle Spear and Rock Blast. Make Chesnaught the perfect Cloyster counter (as opposed to being useless)!
Hey, Chesnaught can almost counter Gengar. That's got to count for something, right?

Right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Immer
Aug 11, 2009

Sanctum posted:

Thuryl posted:

I can only think that maybe he was expecting a Sucker Punch, although honestly if he was running Ice Shard then he should have just KOed with that and if he wasn't then playing mind games with Shell Smash probably wasn't gonna save him.

I think he was waiting for the Destiny Bond to wear off (since it lasts until Banette makes another move), but he should have gone for the safer play and taken down Banette with the Cloyster instead of letting Banette survive for the Machamp, but it's a moot point since I didn't expect Bullet Punch.

Nihilarian posted:

Hey, Chesnaught can almost counter Gengar. That's got to count for something, right?

Right?

Not almost; Bulletproof Chesnaught stops most Gengars cold.

• Locked thread