Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

garney
Jul 21, 2007
Pretty new to this long exposures jazz, here's a few of my first attempts, taken in the Australian Outback using the 500 rule on a 25-105 f4 lens.

12687_10153477320050397_495231846_n by garney89, on Flickr

IMG_7012 by garney89, on Flickr

IMG_7030 by garney89, on Flickr

Only had access to the worst tripod ever and an intervelometer that didn't work properly, but I'm happy enough with them for a first attempt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZippySLC
Jun 3, 2002

~what is art, baby dont post, dont post, no more~

no seriously don't post

garney posted:

Pretty new to this long exposures jazz, here's a few of my first attempts, taken in the Australian Outback using the 500 rule on a 25-105 f4 lens.

12687_10153477320050397_495231846_n by garney89, on Flickr

Only had access to the worst tripod ever and an intervelometer that didn't work properly, but I'm happy enough with them for a first attempt.

That one owns.

I wish we had stars in New Jersey.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

ZippySLC posted:

That one owns.

According to the light pollution map, northern Maine is the closest option. :v:

Or the mountains in West Virginia.

garney
Jul 21, 2007

ZippySLC posted:

That one owns.

Aha, guess i'm lucky living in the middle of nowhere in a tiny town of 2000 people, nearest other town is at least 3 hours away so light pollution isn't an issue.

Negative Entropy
Nov 30, 2009

Lightning from the Deck.

This is a composite of the lightning strikes seen from our deck at Stafford, QLD on the 23rd Nov.
On the left is the city of Brisbane, the right is Enoggera Hill. Between them lies Sparkes Hill.
Over 900 lightning strikes were detected by the BoM during this thunderstorm.

This composite is made of 11 frames, exposure lengths of 8-30s at ISO 200, f3.5 on a Canon 550D w/ 28-135mm USM, using Magic Lantern. Panorama made in AutoPano Giga 3.

Click for huge.

-------
It was a bit unexpected, I had a few long exposures on the same spot and i threw the lot into Autopano hoping to stack a few frames, what it spat out was one huge panorama. I didnt think i had taken enough skyline to get it to stitch all together but i had an RMS of 2.2.
A few tweaks and cropped it to this. I may work on it further.
Suggest away.

ZippySLC
Jun 3, 2002

no seriously don't post

garney posted:

Aha, guess i'm lucky living in the middle of nowhere in a tiny town of 2000 people, nearest other town is at least 3 hours away so light pollution isn't an issue.

In most of NJ there's no differentiation between towns. One town ends and another one immediately begins. It's pretty terrible.

I live in a small town (1.6 sq miles) and we have 16k people living here.

Venusian Weasel
Nov 18, 2011

Got some pics of Comet Lovejoy this morning. Turns out it had a friend!

Comet Lovejoy and the Whirlpool by venusian-weasel, on Flickr

KingOMtDew
Dec 29, 2008

This isnt so much a long exposure as it is a bunch of very short exposures put together in PS. This was taken with a gopro, the only camera we had in the cave. It is about 30 seconds of video with the camera sitting on a rock, with us waving our lights around to light up the rocks. The room we were in was massive, I'm guessing around 100 ft tall. It was really cool.

The post on this was the most time consuming I've ever had. I exported all of the frames into photshop layers, 100 at a time to keep filesize down. I had 9 psd files of 100 layers each. I ended up using every other layer, you couldn't tell the difference between that and using each layer. Once I had removed 1/2 the layers I went through each one and deleted everything except for the bigger of the two spots seen in the video below. My friend can be seen in the upper right corner at some points in the video, waving his helmet around with the headlamp attached, so I removed any of the times he was seen. I also had to remove my smaller headlamp's spot as it didn't add to the image and was a different color temperature. Once I removed the extraneous things in the 100 layer files I merged the visible layers and pasted that into a new psd file with a different layer for each merged 100 layer images. So this created 9 layers in the new file. I then tweaked some things in that image and created the final image.

Video:

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

KingOMtDew posted:

This isnt so much a long exposure as it is a bunch of very short exposures put together in PS. This was taken with a gopro, the only camera we had in the cave. It is about 30 seconds of video with the camera sitting on a rock, with us waving our lights around to light up the rocks. The room we were in was massive, I'm guessing around 100 ft tall. It was really cool.

The post on this was the most time consuming I've ever had. I exported all of the frames into photshop layers, 100 at a time to keep filesize down. I had 9 psd files of 100 layers each. I ended up using every other layer, you couldn't tell the difference between that and using each layer. Once I had removed 1/2 the layers I went through each one and deleted everything except for the bigger of the two spots seen in the video below. My friend can be seen in the upper right corner at some points in the video, waving his helmet around with the headlamp attached, so I removed any of the times he was seen. I also had to remove my smaller headlamp's spot as it didn't add to the image and was a different color temperature. Once I removed the extraneous things in the 100 layer files I merged the visible layers and pasted that into a new psd file with a different layer for each merged 100 layer images. So this created 9 layers in the new file. I then tweaked some things in that image and created the final image.

Video:

This loving owns.

Also, gently caress trying to light stuff up with cap lamps

Bud
Oct 5, 2002

Quite Polite Like Walter Cronkite
Two shots from a parking garage roof, can't escape NJ light pollution so just embrace it.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
15 or 30 second exposure, the orange is a campfire.

rcman50166
Mar 23, 2010

by XyloJW

Rime posted:

15 or 30 second exposure, the orange is a campfire.

This reminds me of my camping trip to VT. Looked up and this is exactly what I saw. Sometimes a familiarity has a much stronger connection than stunning images. Not to say this photo is bad. Thanks for posting this.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

rcman50166 posted:

This reminds me of my camping trip to VT. Looked up and this is exactly what I saw. Sometimes a familiarity has a much stronger connection than stunning images. Not to say this photo is bad. Thanks for posting this.

Thanks! I took it in Manning Park, BC, back in July. First night I'd ever done exposures, given the light pollution in Vancouver. :)

Kidney Stone
Dec 28, 2008

The worst pain ever!

Untitled by vexborg, on Flickr

Taken with a Panasonic Lumix DMC-G3. Settings: 20 sec, ƒ/3.5, ISO 1250, 14 mm

Ric
Nov 18, 2005

Apocalypse dude

Longest one I've made in a couple of months:

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

How long was that? 2 seconds? :v:

Ric
Nov 18, 2005

Apocalypse dude

Yes. Enjoy the lights. :colbert:

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Gave trails a try out of boredom. Took lots of fudgery in Lightroom to turn the horrible orange light of all these gas discharge lights. that Belgium's got a hard-on for, into something pleasing.

Trails I by cerealbawx, on Flickr

Trails II by cerealbawx, on Flickr

Trails III by cerealbawx, on Flickr

Fiki
Dec 5, 2006
You mean Gumbercules? I love that guy!
Took a few shots of this bridge last week and these two seemed to come out the clearest.

Old Northern Ave. Bridge by aerofiki, on Flickr

Old Northern Ave. Bridge by aerofiki, on Flickr

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

Just a backyard shot. Added points for the bed sheets I forgot to take off the clothes line...

DSC_0962 by blinsaff, on Flickr

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Christmas lights!

I had huge problems with blown highlights shooting this stuff (and in fact now that I'm looking at the exported jpeg, the middle shot looks worse than I thought it would), I should probably think about getting a body that does proper bracketing someday. :angel:

City glow killed a bunch of shots too.

vote_no
Nov 22, 2005

The rush is on.

samjack56
Dec 26, 2007
Bored on the way home from school one evening with the girlfriend.

IMG_0060-1 bw by samjack56, on Flickr

IMG_0017-1 by samjack56, on Flickr

IMG_0027-1 by samjack56, on Flickr

IMG_0022-1 by samjack56, on Flickr

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Mead Wildlife Refuge by g.hetzel, on Flickr

Mead Wildlife Refuge by g.hetzel, on Flickr

Tried to shoot the Quadranids the other night. They were a bit too low on the horizon, but I did do a few star trails.

single-mode fiber
Dec 30, 2012

Romanv
Jun 13, 2013

Venusian Weasel posted:

Anyone got a good guide to processing images that DeepSkyStacker produces? I'm getting some good pictures out of it, but I'm having to convert to 16-bit/channel tif to play with them in photoshop (I don't have lightroom) and I'm probably tossing out a lot of information since DSI produces 32-bit/channel tifs. I'm not really sure how to work DSS's processing stuff, and the developer just suggests using other postprocessing software.

Comet Lovejoy 11-20 by venusian-weasel, on Flickr

Problem is, it feels like I got to this point entirely by accident. Would love to know the ins and outs a little better than I do.

Taking a picture of a comet is difficult.

As esentially you are wanting to overlay all of the pictures on top of each other aligned exactly together, as this is what gives the increased contrast and detail.

So the problem with a comet, is that if the pictue aligns itself so that the comet is in the same place each frame, you dont get any increase in detail for the rest of the picture. And if you align all of the stars instead, the comet will look like a blurry mess.

Romanv fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Jan 5, 2014

Jekub
Jul 21, 2006

April, May, June, July and August fool
Comets are fun, and you can do a composite image which includes both stars and comet by stacking the images as two separate sets. The first set you align on the stars and use a heavy sigma clip to remove the comet as much as possible. The second run you manually align on the comet and again use a heavy sigma to remove the stars. Process each image normally then combine in PS as separate layers and use cunning brush / transparency to bring the comet back into the image.

Saying that I've only done it once, it's hard work taking and aligning 60 odd frames twice.

Comet 103p Hartley by tmarkuk, on Flickr

It's been a while since I posted in here, I have a new camera now (QSI-583ws) and narrowband filters. I'll be getting a new mount this year to, either an EQ8 or iOptron CEM60.

NGC281 in Narrow Band Hubble Palette by tmarkuk, on Flickr

Jekub fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Jan 13, 2014

BrosephofArimathea
Jan 31, 2005

I've finally come to grips with the fact that the sky fucking fell.

Jekub posted:

It's been a while since I posted in here, I have a new camera now (QSI-583ws) and narrowband filters. I'll be getting a new mount this year to, either an EQ8 or iOptron CEM60.

Have you used any of the iOptron mounts? I've been looking at their ZEQ25 (vs a HEQ5/EQ6), but it's hard to find an independent opinion. A few people on Cloudy Nights post about them, but not too sure how neutral they are.

Jekub
Jul 21, 2006

April, May, June, July and August fool
None unfortunately, I am hoping that by the time I am ready to make a choice there will be some decent test results out to allow me to make a decision. If not I'll go with the EQ8, at least it is a known quantity and will easily allow me to piggyback a wide field refractor onto my 10" newt.

upstart
Oct 30, 2012

I've got this
Took this at -46c. The red from the marker light deserves a crop, but oh well. More colour.

Rankin Inlet - 13-01-13 by theupstart, on Flickr

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

I can just eyeball this, right?

Eh, I like the light. I think keeping some space above the antenna thing helps with the framing.

ZippySLC
Jun 3, 2002

no seriously don't post

Shampoo posted:

Eh, I like the light. I think keeping some space above the antenna thing helps with the framing.

Agreed. I like the light as well.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Another vote to keep the red, it looks good.

VomitOnLino
Jun 13, 2005

Sometimes I get lost.
I think he means the light at the bottom, and yeah I'd try cropping that a little.
I just lazily tried with my browser window and I think it helps balance things a bit.

upstart
Oct 30, 2012

I've got this

VomitOnLino posted:

I think he means the light at the bottom, and yeah I'd try cropping that a little.
I just lazily tried with my browser window and I think it helps balance things a bit.

Yes, the sorbet snow is throwing me off a bit. I can nit pick the weird effect on the red light itself. Maybe some kind of small ND filter spot created in Lightroom would do the trick?

I think more than anything, I'm just really happy with the lack of noise. Hopefully we'll get more storms soon.

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

Wouldn't be hard to do some perspective correction and mask a modified curve over the snow to bring the color cast down. Just create an adjustment layer in PS and bring the red down where the snow is and bring the green up a little.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

This just showed up in the mail (the skytracker, not the rest of it).

Seems pretty drat sturdy and precise, my only complaint with it is that the motor is pretty noisy. Breaks down nicely though, I should be able to bring it along for some hikes in the hills or the badlands when it warms up. Hopefully I can test it out next week even! It's -11F right now though, so I'm not getting my hopes up.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

I took the Skytracker out for a test. Full moon and somewhat windy, and I couldn't get the polar scope focused right in the dark (i managed to get the stars in focus, but I need to play with it more to get the actual guide markings in focus at the same time, too cold and windy to mess with it too much). So, not perfectly aligned, and a little shakey, but still really happy with the results. These are with and without the skytracker turned on, with a 40mm lens on my OM-D (so 80mm equivalent field of view, pretty zoomed in)

P2120078.jpg by MrDespair, on Flickr

iOptron Skytracker Test by MrDespair, on Flickr

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

t-t-t-triple posting

I had a non-windy night, and decent alignment. Just good enough to use a 200mm lens (400mm equivalent with this camera).

This was 12 1 minute frames and a dark frame:

The Pleiades.jpg by MrDespair, on Flickr

That was about all I was up for though, it was only about 20 degrees outside and my boots just aren't that warm, even with wool socks :ohdear:

Also tried getting andromeda, but I wound up aiming at the wrong place :facepalm: Only realized it after I looked at this pic.

P2260032.jpg by MrDespair, on Flickr

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
This is bad rear end. Props for braving the elements