Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

PUGGERNAUT posted:

having to back out of a thread to go to the settings

Curious : How often do you need to access settings and for what function?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.
I'm almost certainly retarded, but it took me a godawful amount of time to figure out how to close the sidebar thing in portrait on the iPad. It still seems somewhat disjointed as well since it seems to reflow the entire page or whatever when shifting from having the sidebar hidden to fitting the thread in that tiny 1/3 column.

It also just seems like a lot of settings disappeared. Like, I found how to change the theme in YOSPOS threads, but the main thread listing for YOSPOS was still green with that terrible font on the iPad.

PUGGERNAUT
Nov 14, 2013

I AM INCREDIBLY BORING AND SHOULD STOP TALKING ABOUT FOOD IN THE POLITICS THREAD

The Dave posted:

Curious : How often do you need to access settings and for what function?

Actually not that often, now that I look at what's on the Settings menu. I switch from dark/light mode sometimes but now that's on the main screen, which is cool.

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Damn, this is good coffee.
I will say that while it certainly looks nicer, a lot of the "flow" I had gotten used to in the previous version of the app (navigating between threads/forums/bookmarks) is essentially gone. It's harder to navigate now for sure.

Veinless
Sep 11, 2008

Smells like motivation

JazzFlight posted:

Yeah, it'd be great if you guys just uploaded the previous version of the app as Awful Classic or whatever so that we have a lifeline before the Christmas break app freeze.

Although at Apple's app approval speed, I'm doubtful it would get in under the wire.

Absolutely echoing this. The classic app is better from a UI and readability perspective.

Emron
Aug 2, 2005

The app looks good on a phone. My usual style of reading (read thread, straight to bookmarks, repeat) is a little more awkward now, as the swipe back is a little finicky. Appreciate all the time y'all put into this, and I understand there will be some growing pains on the front end.

got dat wmd
Apr 28, 2009
The old interface with some additional colouring and redesign of the buttons is probably as iOS7 as you can get

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

illcendiary posted:

I will say that while it certainly looks nicer, a lot of the "flow" I had gotten used to in the previous version of the app (navigating between threads/forums/bookmarks) is essentially gone. It's harder to navigate now for sure.

Well things are certainly different. I feel like the only thing the iPhone layout really kills is the people who switched between bookmarks and forums tabs to read two threads at once... which I'm not sure should even be a supported habit.

Regardless of that the point I'm making in this post is that it's been out for a day, you need to give it some time to sink in when there's zero on-boarding to the new interface. Like honestly not all of the feedback right now is 100% valid because some of it is knee jerk reaction. On the flip side there are some quick fixes we need to try and get in place asap.

Emron
Aug 2, 2005

Why is reading two threads at once something you don't want to support, out of curiosity? Is it a pain on the backend? I know literally nothing about coding so this is just curiosity, not criticism.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Emron posted:

Why is reading two threads at once something you don't want to support, out of curiosity? Is it a pain on the backend? I know literally nothing about coding so this is just curiosity, not criticism.

Hey I know nothing about code either! (Well not real development, just front end stuff.)
Walk me through your flow where you are reading book mark threads and non book mark threads back and forth so much, just curious about your behavior and want to understand it more.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

The Dave posted:

Like honestly not all of the feedback right now is 100% valid because some of it is knee jerk reaction. On the flip side there are some quick fixes we need to try and get in place asap.

The inability to view any bookmarked threads past page 1 is the only significant problem with the current build for me (currently I have unread posts on pages 1-3 of my bookmarks, and I generally only view the forums through the bookmarks page, whether in the Awful app or in a browser).

I do miss the blue highlight indicating what I had already seen on a page as well, but that's relatively minor.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Yeah those are both things I'd consider need to get fixed asap. The blue highlight is actually there now but the color being used is not good at all. Verrrrrrry light.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
At one point I managed to view a YOSPOS thread from my Bookmarks without the YOSPOS skin applying, but I don't seem to be able to reproduce that.

Also, having the sidebar present by default in iPad portrait mode seems like a weird decision.

Apart from that, everything seems to be okay outside of the usual growing pains.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

The Dave posted:

The blue highlight is actually there now but the color being used is not good at all. Verrrrrrry light.

I'll take full responsibility for this issue. It's a simple fix that I was going to take care of a while ago and then it just completely slipped off my radar. I'll take are of it tonight so that it's better in the next update.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Random thoughts:

* The datestamp and joined date stuff on every single post is excessive. If iOS 7 is "put content first", I think those could be dropped with no harm done. When there are lots of short posts, an awful lot of space is being taken up by chrome.

* The "..." dots are too heavy. Maybe they should be grey? The theme chooser icon is also too dark and distracting given where it is located. I can see why Apple used outlines now.

* The scrollable user popup feels like a bug. If the four icons don't fit on the screen, maybe it just needs to be redesigned.

I was planning on waiting out the update until all the issues got worked out, but... iOS 7 auto-updated for me. Oh well.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦
No more Leper's Colony? :smith: E: oh, trashcan icon? That works I guess.

And the button to hide the sidebar is nowhere near obvious enough, leave it aligned to the left, above the actual thing it shows and hides, and maybe people will be able to find it.

Dewgy fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Dec 17, 2013

graventy
Jul 28, 2006

Fun Shoe
Is there no more support for gestures? Or did you just change them all and I'm too dumb to figure it out. I miss swiping to remove bookmarks and swiping to bring up the thread list.

Oceanbound
Jan 19, 2008

Time to let the dead be dead.

The Dave posted:

Hey I know nothing about code either! (Well not real development, just front end stuff.)
Walk me through your flow where you are reading book mark threads and non book mark threads back and forth so much, just curious about your behavior and want to understand it more.

If I'm reading a topical thread (like a sports GDT, for example) I sure want to follow it, but I'd never bookmark it. Having two tabs means I can refresh it whenever while still keeping track of bookmarks at the same time.

I assume most people mainly use Bookmarks to read threads. The design change means I'm basically discouraged from browsing via Forums, unless I'm prepared to spend a while without refreshing Bookmarks (not likely).

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Ahhhhh gotcha. Classic Sports GDTs (I post in TFFs GDTs myself). So besides the fact because you have the built in habit now, wouldn't it be just as easy to add that GDT to your bookmarks, and stay within the bookmarks tab to go back and forth there? Then when you're done following it you just remove it from your bookmarks?

Also disclaimer I am not saying what you're doing is right or wrong, just trying to do some theory hashing. The current implementation doesn't discourage Forums browsing per say, it's just establishing that you should use it for discovering new threads, and then bookmarking them if you plan on frequenting them.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Dewgy posted:

And the button to hide the sidebar is nowhere near obvious enough, leave it aligned to the left, above the actual thing it shows and hides, and maybe people will be able to find it.

Wait what?

Edit: yeah that is super unintuitive.

Nostalgia4Infinity fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Dec 17, 2013

Fcdts26
Mar 18, 2009

Dewgy posted:

I see lepers colony in the sidebar/nav bar in the iPhone version.

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

graventy posted:

Is there no more support for gestures? Or did you just change them all and I'm too dumb to figure it out. I miss swiping to remove bookmarks and swiping to bring up the thread list.

The gestures seem good on my iphone. A swipe in from the left brings up my thread list. Swiping to get rid of bookmarks seems to be gone. :(

That said, no gestures seem to work reliably on my iPad mini. Sometimes a swipe from the left brings up the thread list...other times not so much.

AlwaysWetID34
Mar 8, 2003
*shrug*
I really like the look of the new App. There are two things I don't like.

1) The B, S, and T icons in SA Mart are pixelated, and the B is off center. I know it's a small thing but my eye is drawn to it.

2) The main navigation should really be accessible from most views. There are exceptions, the Post view being one that comes to mind. But otherwise I shouldn't have to back out of several views to get back to the Nav to jump between bookmarks, forums, and PMs. A suggestion to fix this would be to put the Nav on the right side, and a dedicated Nav button or a swipe to the left could reveal the Nav, and your right swipe could still back out of your views.

A question, I haven't got a PM yet with the new app, is there any kind of indication a new PM has been received without going all the way back to the main Nav?

Emron
Aug 2, 2005

The Dave posted:

I have a weird aversion to bookmarking temporary threads, like gameday threads in TFF. I thought you meant two bookmarked threads, it was a misunderstanding on my part.

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Damn, this is good coffee.

Emron posted:

I have a weird aversion to bookmarking temporary threads, like gameday threads in TFF. I thought you meant two bookmarked threads, it was a misunderstanding on my part.

Same. I bookmark threads that I know I'll be reading in an ongoing manner. For less temporary stuff like GDTs, I'm willing to navigate through the forum list.

hottubrhymemachine
May 24, 2006

Connie is death process
Add me to the list of people who want the swipe to bring up the bookmarks/forum list. Having to reach for a button each time is much slower and a definite step backwards. Having the thread list by default in portrait mode is bizarre and leaves me with a tiny column to try and read the threads in.

Was this tested by anyone or just pushed out? I love the app and respect the free dev time that has gone in to it but this update has real usability issues.

hottubrhymemachine fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Dec 17, 2013

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Emron posted:

illcendiary posted:

Same. I bookmark threads that I know I'll be reading in an ongoing manner. For less temporary stuff like GDTs, I'm willing to navigate through the forum list.

See I'm just not personally convinced the flow needs to be changed to accommodate that vs. the user getting used to bookmarking things they plan on checking out more than once and un-bookmarking when they're done with it. But that's just like, my opinion man.

therobotking posted:

Add me to the list of people who want the swipe to bring up the bookmarks/forum list. Having to reach for a button each time is much slower and a definite step backwards.

You're talking iPad right?

McFunkerson posted:

I really like the look of the new App. There are two things I don't like.

1) The B, S, and T icons in SA Mart are pixelated, and the B is off center. I know it's a small thing but my eye is drawn to it.

2) But otherwise I shouldn't have to back out of several views to get back to the Nav to jump between bookmarks, forums, and PMs. A suggestion to fix this would be to put the Nav on the right side, and a dedicated Nav button or a swipe to the left could reveal the Nav, and your right swipe could still back out of your views.

So it's usually two swipes back to get to the main basement menu. At most 3? Are there ways to get it up to 4? Are we talking iPhone? And are you using the top left button everytime you are going back or are you using the iOS7 swipe from left edge to go back?

Emron
Aug 2, 2005

The Dave posted:

See I'm just not personally convinced the flow needs to be changed to accommodate that vs. the user getting used to bookmarking things they plan on checking out more than once and un-bookmarking when they're done with it.

No, I agree. I originally thought you were saying reading two bookmarked threads and jumping between them directly needed discouraged. I was just confused.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
Couple of weird bugs/issues:

There needs to be an icon showing whenever the bookmarks list is refreshing. It's not always an instantaneous process and I'll go to tap one thread and end up in another. Or maybe I just need to get used to a delay.

The other thing is I'm noticing some posts that are colored read when they are unread. Usually when returning to a bookmarked thread after just reading it.

I love the design and everything looks great.

hottubrhymemachine
May 24, 2006

Connie is death process

The Dave posted:

See I'm just not personally convinced the flow needs to be changed to accommodate that vs. the user getting used to bookmarking things they plan on checking out more than once and un-bookmarking when they're done with it. But that's just like, my opinion man.

So it's usually two swipes back to get to the main basement menu. At most 3? Are there ways to get it up to 4? Are we talking iPhone? And are you using the top left button everytime you are going back or are you using the iOS7 swipe from left edge to go back?

Yeah I'm using an ipad air.

I would have edited out the rest of your post but every time I tried to select the blocks of text the app crashed. It also crashed when I held down backspace for a while.

AlwaysWetID34
Mar 8, 2003
*shrug*
^^^i had the same crashing issue when trying to edit your quote to thin it out^^^

The Dave posted:

On iPhone yes. Between 2 (from a bookmarked thread) and 3 (from a thread in the forum list). I started with the button, but I've switched to using the swipe gesture which makes it a little better.

I go back and forth a lot between my bookmarks, and SA Mart/The Coupon/Discount sub forums. SA Mart can move fast so I like to check that sub forum a lot, and the multiple jumps it takes to go back and forth have quite an impact on the usability of the app.

I don't mean for this next statement to come across wrong, but I'm also an iOS developer. It seems like the point of your slide out menu is for navigation, but unless you are at the very root of the app you can't use it to navigate. In other words you have to make several navigation steps inside the app just to be able to navigate to other main parts of the app. I'm pretty sure a wireframe like that would be rejected here.

I think I typed the word "navigation" enough to break the word in my head.

AlwaysWetID34 fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Dec 17, 2013

Southern Vulcan
Apr 5, 2007
A colorful mix of Boomshine and Logic
I'd like to echo support for changing forums/bookmarks/PMs for a bar on the bottom of the screen when not in a thread. I mostly browse by forums and it was nice being able to hit one button and be out of the subforum. I'm not a huge fan of gestures. I feel clumsy using them and half the time I use them unintentionally.

Also the background color on the forums list is a little bright now. I know that's the trend in iOS7 but it makes things a little hard to read. Any way for it to me a bit more muted or even a light grey? The old color was perfect.

Sorry for complaining I really appreciate the work you guys put in. I only use your app for browsing the forums now so I'm a little prissy and like it the way I like it.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

McFunkerson posted:

I go back and forth a lot between my bookmarks, and SA Mart/The Coupon/Discount sub forums. SA Mart can move fast so I like to check that sub forum a lot, and the multiple jumps it takes to go back and forth have quite an impact on the usability of the app.

I also have SA-Mart and Coupons in my favorites for forums and I mean honestly swiping back and forth between them and my book marks, just seems effortless to me with the swipe from edge. Now I've also been using Awful 2 for a good month or three, and I'm just super used to it though. I'm inclined to say give it a few more days using the slide back gesture and you may forget you had an issue with it at all.

Obviously yes it's a navigation menu, but I feel this way about the current implementation:

1) It's extremely easy to slide back. It's also totally different and a new way to do things so it doesn't feel natural yet.
2) Rapidly going back and forth between areas on that bottom basement navigation are more of an edgecase than standard use.

That's just me though.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

The Dave posted:

I also have SA-Mart and Coupons in my favorites for forums and I mean honestly swiping back and forth between them and my book marks, just seems effortless to me with the swipe from edge. Now I've also been using Awful 2 for a good month or three, and I'm just super used to it though. I'm inclined to say give it a few more days using the slide back gesture and you may forget you had an issue with it at all.

Obviously yes it's a navigation menu, but I feel this way about the current implementation:

1) It's extremely easy to slide back. It's also totally different and a new way to do things so it doesn't feel natural yet.
2) Rapidly going back and forth between areas on that bottom basement navigation are more of an edgecase than standard use.

That's just me though.
To cut to the quick of it: We lost features and gained none.
Software should serve the users, not the developer.

I know it's your baby, but we had an amazing app that was really easy to use and now it's gone.

Guw
Jan 10, 2013

Is FYAD screwed up for anyone else? The OP of every thread disappears and sometimes it's impossible to go the last page.

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

"Winning is great, sure, but if you are really going to do something in life, the secret is learning how to lose. Nobody goes undefeated all the time. If you can pick up after a crushing defeat, and go on to win again, you are going to be a champion someday."
(Wilma Rudolph)

I'd really like to see the feature where if you were quoted the text was highlighted come back in some form. I get that you guys don't want a big green box in this layout and that's cool, but even if just the text was highlighted without a background box, that'd be really nice.

Edit: I also think you could save some space by reducing the text size of the joined on date.

Edit 2: Apparently the text color quote thing is still in the app, just light purple? I'd prefer it be a couple shades darker to stand out but that works. Carry on. :)

Referee fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Dec 17, 2013

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

JazzFlight posted:

I know it's your baby, but we had an amazing app that was really easy to use and now it's gone.

It's not my baby though. Trust me I work in Design/UI/UX and have for awhile and don't get personally attachment to things, and the design of this app has been a collaborated effort. Hey there was even a thread about it and we were all pretty open about it!

Oceanbound
Jan 19, 2008

Time to let the dead be dead.

The Dave posted:

I understand, but from my perspective that just seems like the app telling me how I should be reading the forums, and I don't think it's the app's place to do that.

mike-
Jul 9, 2004

Phillipians 1:21
I'm another person who thinks making it cumbersome to switch between bookmarks and forums list was a huge mistake. I just don't understand the logic behind the current design, it's clunky to go back and forth whereas on the old version you tapped one button.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LPG Giant
Feb 20, 2011

JazzFlight posted:

You did gain a feature: more space for reading threads! Before that bar would stay there, now it's hidden to the side. This makes the reading much nicer.

I really like the new app. Like some have mentioned, there are some small design points and on the iPad it really shouldn't keep the bookmarks bar open, but it's a solid update that made the app looks much better.

I think a lot of the criticism is just people not being used to it yet.

• Locked thread