Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beautiful Ninja
Mar 26, 2009

Five time FCW Champion...of my heart.
Any word on a Radeon R9 280 coming out sometime soon? I figure it's got to be in the pipeline as it would fill the 250 dollar price point that AMD isn't hitting with the current R9 cards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Haeleus
Jun 30, 2009

He made one fatal slip when he tried to match the ranger with the big iron on his hip.

Guni posted:

Goddamit AMD and associated companies (ASUS and the like), where the gently caress are the semi-custom coolers? I've been waiting since launch for the 290 to get some, but this is getting pretty ridiculously long and I'm not going to accept the excessive (IMO) heat and noise that the blower generates.

I feel your pain, I'm waiting on the semi-custom 290/x before I decide on either it or a 780...not to mention I'm wary of what it will cost given that all the reference models have already shot up in price thanks to the litecoin crap.

Scarecow
May 20, 2008

3200mhz RAM is literally the Devil. Literally.
Lipstick Apathy

Beautiful Ninja posted:

Any word on a Radeon R9 280 coming out sometime soon? I figure it's got to be in the pipeline as it would fill the 250 dollar price point that AMD isn't hitting with the current R9 cards.

R9 280s are already out :) they are just rebadged 7970s I beleive

In other news I just got my new Phanteks Enthoo Primo case a 480mm rad and 7 fans to go with my current water cooling setup, I can post pic's if people would like

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map

Michymech posted:

In other news I just got my new Phanteks Enthoo Primo case a 480mm rad and 7 fans to go with my current water cooling setup, I can post pic's if people would like

I believe Beautiful Ninja's looking for a cut-down R9 280X, not a 280X in itself.

admataY
Oct 16, 2008
A quick question :

Gtx 780 - still a good enthusiast card, or no longer relevant ?

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Factory Factory posted:

Where to buy G-Sync is live on Nvidia's website. So far, it's extremely limited - boutiques selling G-Sync'd monitors for $499 and upgrade service (module + ship + install + ship-back) for $299. But it's now officially out in the wild.

Whupty doo and all, but where the gently caress are the DIY modules, and for how much. I want to strangle NVidia, they said they'd be out by year's end.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
Considering it got knocked down to $500, still relevant. I think it's Anandtech's holiday pick for $500ish card in fact:

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map

admataY posted:

A quick question :

I don't know, but I sure still am enthusiastic about the GTX 780 I got only last month!

admataY
Oct 16, 2008
I am less enthusiastic about the beating my wallet gonna take , but 290 are not really available right now.
Also, noise. Also, heat.

Scarecow
May 20, 2008

3200mhz RAM is literally the Devil. Literally.
Lipstick Apathy

Factory Factory posted:

Where to buy G-Sync is live on Nvidia's website. So far, it's extremely limited - boutiques selling G-Sync'd monitors for $499 and upgrade service (module + ship + install + ship-back) for $299. But it's now officially out in the wild.

So will upgrades to other models be possible for this? I have a ASUS PB278Q 2560x1440 that would be cool to upgrade and would make me think about going to Nvidia this time around ( still don't have a 290x, still using a 560ti :\)

CancerStick
Jun 3, 2011
My Radeon 6950's fans are messed up and I am going to need to RMA it. MSI says up to 20 days on the turnaround and being a giant nerd I don't want to go that long without my gaming needs (plus I don't have a laptop so just in general I'd rather not go 3 weeks without a PC).

What is the cheapest card that could play Counter-Strike Global Offensive at a decent clip that I could buy and sell used when I get my card back. I play at 1920x1080.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice

CancerStick posted:

My Radeon 6950's fans are messed up and I am going to need to RMA it. MSI says up to 20 days on the turnaround and being a giant nerd I don't want to go that long without my gaming needs (plus I don't have a laptop so just in general I'd rather not go 3 weeks without a PC).

What is the cheapest card that could play Counter-Strike Global Offensive at a decent clip that I could buy and sell used when I get my card back. I play at 1920x1080.
Have you considered just buying your own cooler and installing it yourself so you don't have to RMA?

Digital Jesus
Sep 11, 2001

Michymech posted:

280x is already out. I thought there was going to be a 280 at some point (7950 rebadge).

CancerStick
Jun 3, 2011

Alereon posted:

Have you considered just buying your own cooler and installing it yourself so you don't have to RMA?

No. I'm a moron and didn't think of this. Pretty easy?

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
The most annoying part is anything that requires epoxy- vrm and ram sinks. Otherwise, fairly easy.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

admataY posted:

A quick question :

A lengthy answer:

Still the best price:performance card for high-end gaming on the Team Green side of things. It's probably about $30-$50 overpriced compared to where it ought to be if they wanted to match AMD's price:performance curve, but it has a MUCH better stock cooler, and an impressive feature list as well. Not to be discounted at all. Remember that the exciting thing about the R9 290x when it came out was that it offered Titan performance for $500 (disingenuous since Titan's a CUDA development card, not a gaming card, but still fair since it was the first GK110 offering for consumers), while the R9 290's exciting thing was that it offered GTX 780 performance at $400.

Retailers are still inflating AMD prices right now, and the added expense of a custom cooler unless you want to put up with what can really only be described as "barely adequate" cooling make the R9 290 and R9 290X worse values than they should be. We have yet to see what vendors' custom cooled varieties will cost, too, but hopefully a premium of no more than $50 or so.

nVidia's GK110 cards don't need aftermarket cooling for anything at all that normal users will do. They have an extremely well engineered cooler - so well engineered that they show the damned thing off with a big Lexan faceplate, heh. It is much quieter than AMD's top cooler and removes heat much more efficiently from all components, allowing any GTX 780 to overclock to its maximum potential without requiring third-party cooling solutions or aftermarket coolers. In fact, since vendor's coolers use less expensive heat pipe and large internal fan technology, it's as likely as not that all but the most extreme ones (three slotters) actually don't cost more to manufacture than nVidia's stock GK110 cooler.

nVidia cool techs:
  • G-Sync will land soon and be pretty damned amazing for people who are bugged by tearing, but it's not going to be cheap.
  • Shadowplay offers the lowest resource, realtime or "woah that was cool let me go grab the last ten or twenty minutes of gameplay" video capture experience.
  • Real-time Streaming to Twitch TV, basically piggybacking onto Shadowplay but holy cow this is a cool feature. No need for a dedicated capture box or anything, just play and stream. Neat.
  • Adaptive V-Sync that can be forced at multiples of the monitor's refresh rate in any game regardless of API allows any monitor to have the advantages of V-Sync when the GPU can output one frame per given cycle, and turns itself off when it drops below, allowing tearing in favor of sharp FPS juddering.
  • GPGPU PhysX makes cool physics effects games into BADASS physics effects games but requires developer support and, often, a second card just for PhysX unless you want to either turn it down fairly low (when it's adjustable, which isn't always) or just accept a fairly substantial minimum framerate hit on anything below a GTX 780,
  • nVidia Experience for pretty sophisticated games setting auto-adjustment to optimize for your specific hardware and resolution, as well as routine driver update checks for both normal and beta drivers for your OS and hardware (this initially made me go all "whatever" but as they've continued development I think it's actually pretty damned cool and I like it),
  • nVidia SHIELD streaming allowing for real-time streaming of a PC game to the (rather expensive!) SHIELD handheld, or output to your TV, even wirelessly so long as you have a badass dual-band Wireless N router,
  • TXAA for cinematic AA that addresses both visual AND vernier acuity in real time; support is per-title, not broad or forced in the control panel, but picking up more and more games as we go since it doesn't require anything like a headless co-processor card to work well
  • Control panel forced FXAA that "just works" in every game (but turns itself off in games that use FXAA as their AA method since they often use a different configuration than the driver preset),
  • CSAA technology for MSAA + coverage-based AA for lower processing overhead but better visual acuity than conventional MSAA,
  • nVidia Inspector, allowing a massive amount of deep tweaks available on a per-title basis. With this you can use great AA modes like sparse grid supersampling for lower performance hit but just as good looking transparency supersampling AA, as well as various AA modes for D3D games that aren't exposed in the usual control panel, some of which work for games even if they use deferred rendering engines. You can also force ambient occlusion on a per-title basis... You know what, check it out if you're interested, there's lots of neat stuff that nVidia Inspector can do.

AMD's new cool techs are a bit on the unknown side of things right now, but...

AMD Cool Techs:
  • Mantle: Probably going to be cool, but not sure how many games support it; 600 development man-hours is a lot of time to spend on proprietary hardware, and AMD paid EA $8,000,000 to get Mantle in the first place. Should free up GPU and CPU resources in situations where the GPU would conventionally be strapped to WDDM and have to waste time doing a lot of draw calls. No real idea what the level of improvement is, and the info on how it works is still under wraps, but we should see a practical example of it relatively soon with Battlefield 4!
  • TrueAudio: hopefully more broadly used, should be very neat and offer a better audio experience than non-accelerated audio.
  • AMD Gaming Evolved app that ties into the social media site Raptr to do something kinda like the game optimization of nVidia Experience, but crowd-sourced... I dunno, I don't like it, but some people probably don't give a poo poo if the settings come from the card designers or a bunch of people, so use your judgment here.
  • Eyefinity, a very good multiple monitor technology with low overhead and good scalability
  • MLAA? ... They did come out with the first shader-based AA tech, but it was proprietary at the time and that cost them considerably when nVidia almost immediately released FXAA and it was not only multi-platform (the AA of choice for consoles, for example) but also better looking and faster in almost all implementations. Still, morphological AA is one of the underlying technologies that enables SMAA shader-based AA that is arguably superior to FXAA (not TXAA, though, they're different things) and of course the popular SMAA injector, but the injector is card vendor agnostic and also still requires actively messing with the game installation, not just a control panel adjustment.
  • RadeonPro and superior SweetFX support, which try to offer for AMD cards what nVidia's control panel offers for nVidia cards, and from what I can tell largely succeed. I don't think it allows the same kind of deep tweaking as nVidiaInspector, but being able to force SMAA globally is arguably nicer than being able to force FXAA globally, and you can only do it with AMD cards, so that's a plus.

Drawing a blank on other cool features, but, um, they fixed Crossfire mostly now, so that's good (notably, they fixed Crossfire for multi-monitor, ON GCN1.1 CARDS AND GOING FORWARD ONLY! Previous cards, including the R9 280X and below, still use an inferior Crossfire method that kinda sucks for multi-monitor in terms of frame pacing, so be aware of that). And their high end cards are good values if you can put up with really, really noisy coolers that do their job only well enough to perform nearly as well as advertised (noisily) instead of exceeding expectations like the GK110 coolers do.

Right now, retailers are price gouging the poo poo out of AMD cards, making them less of a good value than they ought to be going by MSRP. Do not buy a damned R9 290 for $500, that card costs $400 and it'll get back to its intended price point soon enough. If AMD's feature list appeals to you and you really want it, wait out this bubble. They launched at $500 for the R9 290X and $400 for the R9 290, there is goddamned NO REASON AT ALL to pay inflated prices. At those prices, the GTX 780 outdoes the R9 290 in most things, and the GTX 780Ti starts looking half-rear end sane. Just Say No to price gouging.

Agreed fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Dec 17, 2013

admataY
Oct 16, 2008
Thank you for the very detailed answer . Choosing new technology used to be so much easier years ago.

Ghostpilot
Jun 22, 2007

"As a rule, I never touch anything more sophisticated and delicate than myself."

Agreed posted:

Retailers are still inflating AMD prices right now, and the added expense of a custom cooler unless you want to put up with what can really only be described as "barely adequate" cooling make the R9 290 and R9 290X worse values than they should be. We have yet to see what vendors' custom cooled varieties will cost, too, but hopefully a premium of no more than $50 or so.

I decided to take a peek at current 290 prices and they've gone up $100 ($399 to $499+) with 290x's jumping to $599 (at Newegg).

I'd bought another card the same day I RMA'ed my 290 one back primarily to increase my odds of getting an unlockable 290 and to maybe get ahead of any shipping / inventory issues from Black Friday. Didn't imagine that I would save myself so much money and grief in the process.

Edit: Also, another bit to add for AMD cards is their XDMA tech; though that won't be a factor for anybody unless they Crossfire 290/x's.

"Thanks to AMD’s new XDMA engine the 290X has no problem scaling up to 4K in Crossfire, taking AMD’s decent single-card 4K performance and scaling it up to something that allows for 4K without the quality compromises. Considering 60Hz 4K monitors still run for $3000+, it doesn’t make any sense not to pair such an expensive monitor with anything less than a pair of 290Xs."

Ghostpilot fucked around with this message at 12:16 on Dec 17, 2013

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Michymech posted:

Nah, there's only a 280X.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

Ghostpilot posted:

I decided to take a peek at current 290 prices and they've gone up $100 ($399 to $499+) with 290x's jumping to $599 (at Newegg).

I'd bought another card the same day I RMA'ed my 290 one back primarily to increase my odds of getting an unlockable 290 and to maybe get ahead of any shipping / inventory issues from Black Friday. Didn't imagine that I would save myself so much money and grief in the process.

Edit: Also, another bit to add for AMD cards is their XDMA tech; though that won't be a factor for anybody unless they Crossfire 290/x's.

"Thanks to AMD’s new XDMA engine the 290X has no problem scaling up to 4K in Crossfire, taking AMD’s decent single-card 4K performance and scaling it up to something that allows for 4K without the quality compromises. Considering 60Hz 4K monitors still run for $3000+, it doesn’t make any sense not to pair such an expensive monitor with anything less than a pair of 290Xs."

An on-board SCALER is not a very impressive cool technology. You can do that with an nVidia card too. I'll look into it to see if there's anything actually going on with their tech to make it worth mentioning when I'm not saying "nVidia has a great SCALER with virtually no performance overhead, so you can render internally at lower resolutions and turn settings up for arguably better graphics at resolutions the card couldn't normally handle!" since I don't actually consider that a feature. When a console does that, like the XB1 with its SCALER, we get all pissy. :-/

As long as R9 290s are $500, the GTX 780 is a better buy, in my opinion. Don't buy a goddamned R9 290 for $500. That is some ridiculous poo poo.

Edit: Corrected my horrible habit of using the wrong god damned word. Scalar does not = Scaler. Motherfuck firefox spell check.

Agreed fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Dec 17, 2013

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
I don't think Ghostpilot is talking about a literal resolution scaler, he's talking about the performance scaling of going to crossfire configs at 4K+ resolutions, compared to SLI. (Crossfire 290s seeing a generally larger % increase in performance over a single card vs SLI at 4k+ resolution)

Straker
Nov 10, 2005

Ghostpilot posted:

Me too, I think I got the last two 290s available at a sane price... they were going in and out of stock on Newegg, I could see it seemed like supplies were going to be limited so I bit when I refreshed and saw one brand back in stock, they went back out of stock immediately after, it took them a week to get me my cards and things have been hosed up since. Relatively huge bullet dodged!

sorry to be an rear end in a top hat but you keep doing this!

scalar = one dimensional quantity
scaler = thing that turns one resolution into another :)

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Agreed posted:

As long as R9 290s are $500, the GTX 780 is a better buy, in my opinion. Don't buy a goddamned R9 290 for $500. That is some ridiculous poo poo.

I have to agree with this. If today's prices had been the case when I bought my 290s I sure as hell would have gone the 780 route. Gsync alone makes it worth it for those prices in my books.

Psmith
May 7, 2007
The p is silent, as in phthisis, psychic, and ptarmigan.
I'm fairly certain this is more general than a "Pick my parts question" but if this is the wrong thread, please let me know.

I'm thinking about upgrading my video card soon but I honestly haven't paid much attention to GPU news so I'm not sure if there is anything I should keep in mind. Basically, I'm using a 560ti right now and it's working well enough but I'm looking ahead to some games that will be coming out in 2014 (namely The Witcher 3).

Is it worth buying anything now (such as a 770 or 780) or will there be something newer and better that is worth waiting for at some point earlier next year?

I did a quick google news search and I don't really see anything recent with regard to new tech except for the g-sync stuff

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Arcane Velocity was like.
If you can scrape by, apparently February will bring Nvidia's new stuff, at least on mobile. You could see what the skinny is then. Otherwise, if you don't want to wait, a GeForce 760 basically doubles the 560 Ti's performance at the same power draw and would be a perfect choice for an upgrade.

Psmith
May 7, 2007
The p is silent, as in phthisis, psychic, and ptarmigan.

Factory Factory posted:

If you can scrape by, apparently February will bring Nvidia's new stuff, at least on mobile. You could see what the skinny is then. Otherwise, if you don't want to wait, a GeForce 760 basically doubles the 560 Ti's performance at the same power draw and would be a perfect choice for an upgrade.

Yah based on the the timeframe you mentioned I was able to narrow down the search and it looks like desktop stuff might be dropping in March-ish. I'll probably just wait and upgrade then as the 560 is chugging along just fine for now.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

Straker posted:

Me too, I think I got the last two 290s available at a sane price... they were going in and out of stock on Newegg, I could see it seemed like supplies were going to be limited so I bit when I refreshed and saw one brand back in stock, they went back out of stock immediately after, it took them a week to get me my cards and things have been hosed up since. Relatively huge bullet dodged!

sorry to be an rear end in a top hat but you keep doing this!

scalar = one dimensional quantity
scaler = thing that turns one resolution into another :)

:cry:

I ALWAYS DO THAT, you're right, ask FactoryFactory I'm just as bad about it in real time as I am typing a post. See, scalar is totally a word according to Firefox's spell check, whereas scaler is not - although I'm fixing that and adding it to the dictionary right now. Sigh.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Guni posted:

Goddamit AMD and associated companies (ASUS and the like), where the gently caress are the semi-custom coolers? I've been waiting since launch for the 290 to get some, but this is getting pretty ridiculously long and I'm not going to accept the excessive (IMO) heat and noise that the blower generates.

Pull up your pants and build your own :clint:

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Umm, how is G-Sync better/different than high refresh rate? Lets say I have a 120hz display and a low fps game. The GPU will have 120 opportunities per second to re-draw a new frame. If it misses one, its not a huge amount of time until the next one relative to the game frame rate. So how is G-Sync better than 120Hz+ and V-sync? I guess question should be, is stuttering noticeable at 120Hz+?

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Shaocaholica posted:

Umm, how is G-Sync better/different than high refresh rate? Lets say I have a 120hz display and a low fps game. The GPU will have 120 opportunities per second to re-draw a new frame. If it misses one, its not a huge amount of time until the next one relative to the game frame rate. So how is G-Sync better than 120Hz+ and V-sync? I guess question should be, is stuttering noticeable at 120Hz+?

120+ is an improvement but not perfect. Gsync is Voodoo magic.

Don't forget that right now 120+ monitors are almost exclusively the domain of 1080 TN panels. Gsync will give you uber-smoothness on 1440+ IPS panels.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
Tearing and stuttering both still exist on 120hz screens. Higher refresh shortens the interval between frames on the monitor, but that still doesn't guarantee that those frames line up with the GPU's frame times.

Also vsync and 120hz is not a good combination, because it's quite hard to get enough GPU power to peg a game at 120 fps and keep it there. Most people with 120hz screens are likely gaming with Vsync off and just deal with tearing.

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Though if you Vsync at 120Hz, then besides 30 Hz and 60 Hz you can also Vsync at 40 Hz - which isn't terrible.

In a nutshell:

No Vsync = tearing, stuttering

Vsync = stable rate stuttering, frame delay

G-Sync = None of the above

CrazyB
May 14, 2003
The world needs more zombies.
I have a question for PhysX acceleration in the future. I have no plan on doing SLI, but in the future when my current 770 is upgraded, if I go to a new Nvidia card I can use my current card in SLI just to accelerate PhsyX? I've read some stuff on it and I'm not even sure how it works.

Blorange
Jan 31, 2007

A wizard did it

Shaocaholica posted:

If your computer is putting out a constant 100 fps and you turn v-sync on, you will see frames displayed at 60 hz. If you turn g-sync on, you'll see frames displayed at 100 hz. The reduction in stutter is mostly helpful for going under 60 hz, on a 120hz monitor you'll jump from 40 to 60 fps using normal v-sync, and from 30 to 60 on a typical monitor. Look up some comparison videos, continual 30 fps just looks better than stutter filled v-sync that jumps from 30 to 60 and back many times a second. G-Synch sets the monitor's effective refresh rate with v-sync to infinity, so these jumps don't happen.

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what

CrazyB posted:

I have a question for PhysX acceleration in the future. I have no plan on doing SLI, but in the future when my current 770 is upgraded, if I go to a new Nvidia card I can use my current card in SLI just to accelerate PhsyX? I've read some stuff on it and I'm not even sure how it works.

You would have to disable SLI to use one card as a dedicated PhysX card. With two cards, SLI or PhysX accelerator, pick one. SLI is better at average framerates, and PhysX is better at minimum framerates.

Of course, with a third card you can do SLI + PhysX accelerator and have it all :getin:

Also, you can only SLI identical cards, so if you were thinking of pairing that 770 with an 870 or whatever, forget it.

Factory Factory fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Dec 17, 2013

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Forget it man this bat is whack, it's got poobrain!
Oh my, PCIe1 to PCIe16 ribbon adapter and use an old card as a third card in an mATX system. :pcgaming:

Yet another reason the Arc Mini R2 is the best non-tiny mATX case.

Phuzun
Jul 4, 2007

Blurbusters has a good demonstration to give you an idea of how g-sync will look.

Just ordered up the MSI GTX 780 Twin Frozr that is on-sale on Newegg and an EK waterblock for it. Comes with a mild oc already, so I'll see how much further I can push it. I'll be moving my current GTX 570 down a few slots and just let it fold non-stop.

Also, nice write up on the differences in the products, Agreed. Seems like every only focuses on the fps/benchmarks and don't consider the rest of the card functions. Shadowplay/built-in encoder is something that kept me with nVidia this upgrade.

Phuzun fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Dec 17, 2013

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Thanks for the clarification on G-Sync. I forgot that with vsync you have to sorta have integer portions of the native rate so you can't have 100fps on a 120hz display.

Dark Solux
Dec 8, 2004

Old School Saturn God

Factory Factory posted:

Of course, with a third card you can do SLI + PhysX accelerator and have it all :getin:

I do this, it does a fine job of heating my room in the winter. Two gtx460s and a 9800gtx.
What would be a good upgrade over this setup? I was thinking gtx770 but if new cards are dropping in march I'll wait. This setup is fast enough, about on par with a 660.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend
I was digging through old files and I found this picture of the box my GF 6800 GT came in. For reference, that is a 27" TV.