Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free

PrinceRandom posted:

Why is Masonry such an un-Catholic activity? Is it because it came about primarily in Protestant places?

From my research, there's two main reasons.
  • They actually (used to?) believe half the conspiracy theories about the Freemasons. The anti-religious statements issued by the Grand Orient de France haven't helped. The Church doesn't see them as irregular and feels they speak for all Freemasons.

• They feel that because of the non-denominational nature of many of the rituals, Freemasonry actively denies the Catholic Truth of Salvation. This is probably the biggest deal nowadays, though with Pope Francis' work in interfaith movements, I feel that it would probably be less of an issue for him. Will he care enough to make a statement on it, though? Probably not.

JohnnyCanuck fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Dec 15, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
I doubt Francis will make a statement on Masonry if only because he's got a bigger agenda to work on.

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007

JohnnyCanuck posted:

From my research, there's two main reasons.

The bigger impression I've got is that the oaths of secrecy are exclusive of the church, even though they're in a way related to matters of faith. The idea that you have a portion of your belief system tied up in something you couldn't confess to a priest about bothers the hell out of a lot of the Vatican on a doctrinal level.

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Area 51. You heard of it, right?

Fallen Rib

JohnnyCanuck posted:

From my research, there's two main reasons.[list][*]They actually (used to?) believe half the conspiracy theories about the Freemasons. The anti-religious statements issued by the Grand Orient de France haven't helped. The Church doesn't see them as irregular and feels they speak for all Freemasons.

Yeah, this is another point. The Church fell hard for the Taxil hoax, actively making him into a sort of mini-celebrity based on his "exposes" of Freemasonry, and they did not take kindly when he said it was all bullshit and the Church were morons for believing him.

the guy from Semisonic
Jan 13, 2006

Let's kick some gigabutt!

Bleak Gremlin
I heard a story, not sure of how true it is, that an Archbishop became obsessed with learning masonic secrets. So he ordered one of his priests to join and go through the rituals so that he could report back what happened. The Priest went through all 3 degrees and reported back to the archbishop that he had completed everything. The archbishop told the priest to reveal all of the secrets and the priest responded, "I can't tell you. I'm a Mason." :v:

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

MB13 posted:

I heard a story, not sure of how true it is, that an Archbishop became obsessed with learning masonic secrets. So he ordered one of his priests to join and go through the rituals so that he could report back what happened. The Priest went through all 3 degrees and reported back to the archbishop that he had completed everything. The archbishop told the priest to reveal all of the secrets and the priest responded, "I can't tell you. I'm a Mason." :v:

"The secrets?"

" Yes....all the secrets"

" Well....the keys to the booze cabinet are hidden in the stairway closet. The coffee kitty is under the microwave and the spare hall keys are in the flower pot on the kitchen window sill."

"........"

Lovable Luciferian
Jul 10, 2007

Flashing my onyx masonic ring at 5 cent wing n trivia night at Dinglers Sports Bar - Ozma

LingcodKilla posted:

"The secrets?"

" Yes....all the secrets"

" Well....the keys to the booze cabinet are hidden in the stairway closet. The coffee kitty is under the microwave and the spare hall keys are in the flower pot on the kitchen window sill."

"........"

Here in California we can't store alcohol in the temple.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Either that's local or we are being naughty or I'm a big fibber. Does beer and wine count?

Straithate
Sep 11, 2001

Bow before the might of the Clarkson!

LingcodKilla posted:

Either that's local or we are being naughty or I'm a big fibber. Does beer and wine count?

Here in Ohio it is 100% prohibited. That doesn't stop us from going out to the bar after, though!

Kind of silly considering the establishments Freemasonry was founded in.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
It's prohibition-era thinking. I mean our whole nation was founded from alcohol.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Check out my enormous testicles in my TFLC log!

To all, especially non-masons who want to know what a lodge night looks like. There is an evening for those interested organized on the 21st of January in Amsterdam, The Netherlands.
If you want to come, PM me for details.

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007

Lovable Luciferian posted:

Here in California we can't store alcohol in the temple.

Colonial Air Force posted:

It's prohibition-era thinking.

I don't remember my Shrine initiation because the 90 year-old running the open bar decided "rum and coke" meant a red party cup full of rum and a splash of coke for colour.

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Fallen Rib

WAFFLEHOUND posted:

I don't remember my Shrine initiation because the 90 year-old running the open bar decided "rum and coke" meant a red party cup full of rum and a splash of coke for colour.

Shrine is a different thing. Most of the lodges I know of in America don't allow alcohol at all, some allow it in the social hall only, and some don't allow it wink wink nudge nudge. I believe this is generalized in all the US Grand Lodges. It is definitely not the case in for example Scotland or Ireland.

Iymarra
Oct 4, 2010

Survived AGDQ 2018 Awful Games block!
Grimey Drawer

Paramemetic posted:

Shrine is a different thing. Most of the lodges I know of in America don't allow alcohol at all, some allow it in the social hall only, and some don't allow it wink wink nudge nudge. I believe this is generalized in all the US Grand Lodges. It is definitely not the case in for example Scotland or Ireland.

Bingo. In Scotland, it is down to if the building has a licensed bar / Responsible Person / certified and trained bar person. Quite a lot do, though the ones who use community halls and such don't but make alternate provision - for example providing an assortment of drinks with a honesty box or donation box on the table. Remember that we don't often have a sit down meal at lodges in Scotland either before or after the degree / evenings work. Most times it'll be sandwiches / soup / meat pie. Only times there are usually sit-down meals are Installations (at which point we are currently in the middle of the Installation-season over here, when most of them are done) or special events, like anniversary rededications or other really one-off events.

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007

Paramemetic posted:

Shrine is a different thing.

I actually meant to post one other thing when I said that but posting before coffee is a bad idea. Shrine was formed as a direct reaction to Lodges banning alcohol in the US. So I'd say that the ban on alcohol is pretty widespread if one of the most successful appendant bodies formed just so people could get hammered.

Tinestram
Jan 13, 2006

Excalibur? More like "Needle"

Grimey Drawer
Brethren, last night I was voted in as WM-elect for my Lodge. I am honored, excited, and nervous as hell. Got any advice for a first-timer in the chair?

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

You will not be able to please everyone but that goes for everything in life.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
It's only temporary. There will be times you'll be sad about that and times you'll be happy for it, but eventually someone else is going to be WM and take up everything you've been doing.

Glorified Scrivener
May 4, 2007

His tongue it could not speak, but only flatter.

runupon cracker posted:

Brethren, last night I was voted in as WM-elect for my Lodge. I am honored, excited, and nervous as hell. Got any advice for a first-timer in the chair?

You have the ability to set the tone for Lodge meetings and functions, make use of it.

Understand that your executive authority is balanced by tradition and custom and if you anger the brethren, they may choose to wait out your year in sullen silence or stop attending. This may be a different and less direct kind of feedback than you're used to in other organizations - but do not ignore it.

There is a cabal of old timers in your lodge who are really in charge of things. They don't actually want the work of running things though, so rely on their wisdom, but remember that they're not actually elected officers.

If you appoint a committee, require them to regularly report on their progress.

The proper response to a suggestion from a Brother that entails a great deal of work is to thank him for volunteering to chair a committee. It is not to look at the Secretary and say "Make it so."

Having been both a WM and Secretary; He's got enough on his desk with the organizational minutiae of running the Lodge - appoint a committee to handle things like small things like collecting signatures on birthday and sympathy cards and mailing them.

A good investigative committee makeup is one old guy, one new guy and one really reliable brother.

Read your lodge's by-laws; if you don't I can almost guarantee someone will be quoting them at you during a meeting. Plus, there is probably some really useful stuff in them that you can quote at them.

imac1984
May 3, 2004

vortmax posted:

One of my good friends just became Worshipful Master of the Federal Lodge #1 in DC. Just from what you guys say here, I understand that's a big deal. But what does it really mean?

I know your friend and am in the Scottish Rite with him. Great guy. Federal Lodge #1 is a seriously good group of masons.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
Man, it's been a busy few months for me in Masonry.

On Wednesday, Sophia Lodge (under dispensation) had its second stated communication. As a reminder, that's the new lodge in North Carolina that's a European style/traditional observance lodge. I still can't say enough good things about that. After a beautiful meeting, engaging all 5 senses and introspection, our JW announced that the lodge would be starting an "Adept" program, sort of like the Scottish Rite's Master Craftsman program or Guthrie S.R.'s College of the Consistory program, except solely Blue Lodge related. It'll be three-fold - 1: attend a series of lectures throughout the year on the symbolism of the three degrees; 2: read three of the five (so far) books on the reading list, and do a test and write a paper about them; 3: give a presentation, or give a research paper to the lodge on what you've learned.

That's the thing I love about this new lodge, it exists to help Masons learn Masonry better. Because after all, what else do we have, but the beauty and symbolism of the ritual?

Afterwards, we had an Agape at a wonderful restaurant down the street. It's owned by a Mason, so they closed down early and let us take over the small place for a four course meal and plenty of wine :) There's something that feels really special about belonging to a lodge of only ~35 members that is SO focused on building fellowship.

I tell ya, brothers, this is what Masonry's about right here. Brotherly love, truth, and relief.

Merry Christmas Brothers, from the only guy under 50 in this picture from that night.

PS- it's kind of funny; at first, there was some pushback from the Grand Lodge when Sophia Lodge was trying to get off the ground. But now? The current and previous Grand Masters of NC are members, as well as at least 3 or 4 other Grand Officers :)

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Looks like a great time! I wish I had more time for fellowship but family first.

Cholmondeley
Sep 28, 2006

New World Orderly
Nap Ghost
That's a fine bunch of Masons right there. I'm gonna have to brush off the tux and come visit one of these months.
I hope this concept keeps spreading, we need more of this kind of Masonry.

KweezNArt
Jul 30, 2007
One of the local Prince Hall lodges is celebrating its 100th anniversary, as well as a raising, at the end of the month. They extended offers to all the surrounding lodges, "blue" and Prince Hall, to come out and witness. Our lodge is planning on showing up, and I am seriously excited for the opportunity, especially as an officer.

Colton
Mar 30, 2003

Member of the Kevin Smith look-alikes local #45317
so I see officers wearing tuxes and as I am about to be raised tomorrow I'm wondering if I'll be expected to buy my own tux? aren't they expensive? does the lodge help out at all?

patentmagus
May 19, 2013

Colton posted:

so I see officers wearing tuxes and as I am about to be raised tomorrow I'm wondering if I'll be expected to buy my own tux? aren't they expensive? does the lodge help out at all?

Different lodges have different rules, just ask. If they say yes, then start asking where to get one. I seriously doubt the lodge will subsidize your purchase, but someone might know someone who can get you a good deal. One way to think of it is that every other tux wearing mason has gone through exactly what you are going through and almost every one of them has looked for a good deal.

Straithate
Sep 11, 2001

Bow before the might of the Clarkson!
Were the guys on the sidelines also wearing tuxedos? The vast majority of the time only officers are required to wear them, and that is a rarity these days it seems.

You may have found a lodge that is a bit more formal though, odds are someone knows where you can get a deal. I was told most of the big chain stores sell them for < $200 total -- that was like 10 years ago though.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Overstock.com usually has a few. Last time I looked there was a better selection so I guess it varies but the prices are always low.

http://www.overstock.com/Clothing-Shoes/Tuxedos/Black,Tuxedos,/color,style,/20433/subcat.html?sort=Top+Sellers

Colton
Mar 30, 2003

Well, i was raised as a master mason today. All i can say is wow. Wasn't expecting that

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Congratulations, Brother!

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Thauros fucked around with this message at 18:10 on May 13, 2021

Colton
Mar 30, 2003

In regards to the tux question, i haven't seen any of the officers in a tux, just suits. I still need to get a suit myself.

Cholmondeley
Sep 28, 2006

New World Orderly
Nap Ghost

Straithate posted:

Were the guys on the sidelines also wearing tuxedos? The vast majority of the time only officers are required to wear them, and that is a rarity these days it seems.

You may have found a lodge that is a bit more formal though, odds are someone knows where you can get a deal. I was told most of the big chain stores sell them for < $200 total -- that was like 10 years ago though.

This particular lodge is a traditional observance lodge, and prefers black tie. Tuxedos are uncommon in N.C. lodges, except for PHA.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Colton posted:

In regards to the tux question, i haven't seen any of the officers in a tux, just suits. I still need to get a suit myself.

Yeah, that's how the lodge I was raised in is. If you're not an officer, just... try to look presentable. If you are an officer, try to look a little more presentable :)

Either way, I went to Belk department store when they were having some sort of sale and got an entire tux (jacket/pants/shirt/tie) for something like $150. It's not insanely bad if you watch out for a deal.

edit-- oh, and congratulations! :)

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

My maternal (not fraternal) brother is considering to become a brother (fraternal, he is already maternal). However, the coming 5 years, he will spend on and off at Fort Hood in Texas for reasons.

Now while we can initiate him over here in the Netherlands, I am unsure if he can visit a lodge in Texas before he is raised as a MM. This track takes about 2 years under our jurisdiction, with his travels likely more. But then again, one of his reasons to join (outside of the common ones) is to meet people outside of the service and with broad interest. I think it would be good for him to visit lodges in Texas, but would that be possible as a EA or F? Can a Texan brother chime in?

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Fallen Rib

Keetron posted:

My maternal (not fraternal) brother is considering to become a brother (fraternal, he is already maternal). However, the coming 5 years, he will spend on and off at Fort Hood in Texas for reasons.

Now while we can initiate him over here in the Netherlands, I am unsure if he can visit a lodge in Texas before he is raised as a MM. This track takes about 2 years under our jurisdiction, with his travels likely more. But then again, one of his reasons to join (outside of the common ones) is to meet people outside of the service and with broad interest. I think it would be good for him to visit lodges in Texas, but would that be possible as a EA or F? Can a Texan brother chime in?

He would need a brother to vouch for him, under the usual rules, so I'm not sure how he could sit in Lodge in Texas unless someone who could vouch him came over with him for his first visit.

Our track is much faster, but he could take his degrees at Fort Hood? Or it is conceivably possible that your Grand Lodge could give Texas the dispensation to continue his work after he's initiated, although this is kind of difficult procedurally and I've not heard of it happening very often.

Tinestram
Jan 13, 2006

Excalibur? More like "Needle"

Grimey Drawer
Thanks to those who gave me advice!

We had our semi-public installation just this past Saturday, when I was installed WM. I was, amazingly, not nervous at all during the ceremony. I made it a point to attend the installations of the other Lodges in the area, and all that exposure helped immensely. So I was very calm and was able to enjoy the installation to its fullest.

We had a fantastic day. Unbeknownst to me, my kids both prepared pieces of ritual and presented them to me at the installation. My son (who is 20, and a member of DeMolay) has always struggled with ritual, but his presentation (of a very long piece) was masterful, and very touching. It's a piece called Father's Talk from the DeMolay ritual, and is often delivered at regional DeMolay events. I knew he would do it for me some day, but I wasn't expecting it Saturday. I was able to hold it together much better than I thought I would, but I couldn't help a few tears.

My daughter presented a piece about the gavel from Rainbow ritual. It was more of a lecture than the other talk... there was even a bit about responsibility in there. I thought about making a joke about being lectured on responsibility by my 16-year-old daughter, but I didn't get a chance before the next presentation. She also did incredibly well, and both she and my son were roundly applauded and praised afterwards. I, of course, was so proud of them I could hardly contain myself.

I presented a speech at the end, talking about one of our deceased members, who I had never met to my recollection, but who had influenced and inspired me through the other Brethren. I didn't get out as much as I wanted to, but it was very well received.

All of the officers who were to be installed made the ceremony, which is a bit unusual for the area... there's usually one or two who can't make it and need to be installed at a subsequent meeting. The Installing Officer was the Most Worshipful, the Grand Master of New Brunswick, who had done the ceremony three times earlier this month, and his presentation was flawless. We only had one installer who couldn't make it (he had a work emergency), and the GM knew that part anyway, so it wasn't an issue.

The place was packed! We had some bad weather, too... it was raining, which normally wouldn't be an issue, but we had a lot of leftover ice from an ice storm a couple of weeks prior. It's fine when there's dirt on it and it's frozen, but when rain washes away the dirt and makes it wet? Hoo boy. The streets weren't too bad but the parking lot itself was a skating rink. But we still had a ton of people. Visiting the other Lodges and going to their installations went a long way towards drawing people out to ours.

Our guest speaker was the Executive Director of the local association for community living, which is an organization that helps people with intellectual disabilities to find independent accommodations, get jobs, and other stuff. She spoke about the impact that her organization has had on the people they serve, and also the impact that they've had on her. She also talked a bit about the importance of charity, and described it as "not optional". It was also very well received, and she was pleased by the response of the Brethren.

Afterwards, a fellow with a 50-year pin (for the non-members reading, that means he's been a *member* of the fraternity for 50 years) said it was the best installation he's ever been to. And he's not one to throw around praise lightly. I haven't even started my year yet, and I've already got guys talking to me about becoming District Deputy Grand Master after my term as Worshipful Master. You can imagine how that would make a person feel. You're going to have to imagine it, because I can't properly elucidate the feeling. Suffice it to say, it was a tremendous day, and one I won't ever forget as long as I'm remembering things.

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007

Keetron posted:

Former Texas Mason here. Just have him join in Texas, he'll be an MM in like three months.

Kilo147
Apr 14, 2007

You remind me of the boss
What boss?
The boss with the power
What power?
The power of voodoo
Who-doo?
You do.
Do what?
Remind me of the Boss.

Hey! I can start making it to Lodge again.

Because I just got laid off.

gently caress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

7thBatallion posted:

Hey! I can start making it to Lodge again.

Because I just got laid off.

gently caress.

:unsmith:

...:smith:

Sorry to hear that, brother. Here's hoping something comes along soon.