Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hummingbirds
Feb 17, 2011

Is there a simple reason why my auto return has suddenly stopped working? I had to move some stuff around to fix something on my preamp and when I used the turntable again it stopped auto returning. I checked my manual but it was pretty unhelpful, and tried googling the issue with no definitive answers. I have a JVC ql a220.

Or should I ask in the IYG thread?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eggsovereasy
May 6, 2011

izationalizer posted:

** Does anyone here have this, btw? And if so, could you please tell me that it sounds mediocre so that I don't have to track it down, too?

I have it and think it sounds great, but I have nothing to compare it to.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

izationalizer posted:

This is off the subject, but on the recommendation of people who have heard many versions of the LP, I snagged an orange label UK pressing of Bowie's "Ziggy Stardust" with 6E/4E matrices... and holy poo poo, it has been knockin' my socks off. Probably one of the better-sounding records I own, and it stomps my black label US pressing into smithereens. The pianos and strings are just so full, glisten-y, and fittingly glamorous. If anyone loves this album, I'd highly recommend this relatively unacknowledged/unknown pressing. It also supposedly crushes the much more expensive, collector-inflated 1A/1B* pressing, but I don't own both, so I can't compare them. The only pressing that some seem to think rivals or beats the 6E/4E is the 40th Anniversary edition**, which is usually too expensive for me (the 6E/4E was $28 with shipping from the UK included, but worth every cent to me; I probably could have had it for cheaper had I been more patient, though).

* Or whatever the first UK pressing matrices are.
** Does anyone here have this, btw? And if so, could you please tell me that it sounds mediocre so that I don't have to track it down, too?

I have the Mobile Fidelity sound labs pressing and it sounds fantastic. I'm quite certain that I'll never need to buy another copy of the album. It almost sounds like they're in the room with me.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

izationalizer posted:

The Rise and Fall

david puddy posted:

of Ziggy Stardust

eggsovereasy posted:

and the Spiders

CPL593H posted:

from Mars

I've got the 1980 US black label reissue (no idea on the relative quality, but the drat thing says Dynaflex on the label though the LP itself feels a little heavier than that) that I picked up from a record store for probably too much back when I first started collecting. Is it worth just assuming it's crap and looking for one of the "better" pressings? Nobody on the internet seems to have included it in one of the many shootout tests and comparison lists that the various editions of this album have earned, but it looks like it's just a reissue of the original US version.

I'm kind of dreading the amount of money I'll spend come the eventual moment when I start digging through my Bowie and Clash collections, replacing stupidly bought American pressings left and right. But if my recent adventures with Kate Bush LPs is any indication (btw, the 2010 Audio Fidelity repress of Hounds owns bones and is notably better than the black US press and I'd recommend it to anyone who wants to be awesome), the differences between different pressings can be massive.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I'm a idiot and bought a copy of that Name of this Band is Talking Heads reissue except when it got here it skips like gently caress and theres black marks all over the record. Newbury Comics gets 0/10

Cpt. Spring Types
Feb 19, 2004

Wait, what?
I finally found a copy of Thick as a Brick with all the original packaging included and in good shape today at an antique store for $5. Been hankering for that one for a while, and I come across copies of it all the time, but they're always beat to hell and missing stuff. This one looks like it just sat in a box for the last 40 years. Awesome.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

Abu Dave posted:

I'm a idiot and bought a copy of that Name of this Band is Talking Heads reissue except when it got here it skips like gently caress and theres black marks all over the record. Newbury Comics gets 0/10
Did you contact them about it?

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

that's my thing that i say

Cpt. Spring Types posted:

I finally found a copy of Thick as a Brick with all the original packaging included and in good shape today at an antique store for $5. Been hankering for that one for a while, and I come across copies of it all the time, but they're always beat to hell and missing stuff. This one looks like it just sat in a box for the last 40 years. Awesome.

I got pretty lucky with TAAB, one of the first copies I found was complete without any of the pages written on or anything. Its a bit yellowed and has some creases but it's still a super decent copy. Paid $25, but I guess if I hadn't have picked it up I'd still be looking so :shrug:

Kevar
Jan 1, 2005
gimmar

Darthemed posted:

Did you contact them about it?

Yeah, if you get a hosed up record always try contacting the store/distro/label/band before telling the internet that they suck.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Abu Dave posted:

They're a good sized chain and will just send you another one if you return it. I buy lots of poo poo from them and on the few occasions I got a defective record they replaced it no questions asked.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I did shoot them a email and am awaiting a reply I was just upset.

izationalizer
Jul 2, 2012

I don't know what the hell's in there, but it's weird and pissed off, whatever it is.

Electric Bugaloo posted:

replacing stupidly bought American pressings left and right.

Don't feel stupid man, I did the same thing for years. Here's one possible strategy that has worked for me: If an artist has multiple albums you want to replace, and they're all based primarily in a different country, add 'em all to your Discogs want list and wait until a seller emerges with all/most copies for a reasonable price; that way, you can combine international shipping. I replaced my American Brian Eno and Roxy Music* LPs with original UK pressings for pretty reasonable prices in this way. Of course, you gotta be patient (I'm still waiting for a couple troves myself).

* Speaking of Roxy Music US vs. UK LPs, and while we're already in geeky "which pressing is better?" territory, I just read this on another forum I've been known to frequent. I thought it was kind of interesting:

quote:

Here is a dirty little secret about Roxy albums. The US versions are mastered differently than the UK versions. The difference is most pronounced on the third and fourth album. Why? Roxy was desperately trying to make it in America. They werent hard enough for Led Zep/Tull crowd. They werent "dumb" like Alice Cooper. They looked like fruits or maybe even French. How to market them? Well, do what record companies have done with countless "foreign" bands: soften the sound. Pick up early UK pressings and compare them to US pressings and you will hear a difference. The UK pressings jump out of the grooves more.... Roxy's label even tamed their live album Viva!. Some of recordings for shows that makes up Viva appear on Foolproof. Compare "Thrill of It All" on Foolproof with anything on Viva and you will never listen to Viva again. It doesnt stop there. All the Roxy stuff that appears on their Greatest Hits/Best of collections are remastered and always softening the sound. This isnt just the work of their labels. Ferry had a hand in this as well. Of the first four records, the US & UK pressings of FYP sound the closest. Siren is the first one in which the mastering is the same on all pressings.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Spoke too soon about Newbury Comics; theyre sending me a replacement out without even having to send the broken product back. :worship: Newbury Comics :worship: 10/10

Texibus
May 18, 2008
brought back a bunch of old vinyl from a visit to my grandparents in Texas, how do I clean these things?

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

izationalizer posted:

Don't feel stupid man, I did the same thing for years. Here's one possible strategy that has worked for me: If an artist has multiple albums you want to replace, and they're all based primarily in a different country, add 'em all to your Discogs want list and wait until a seller emerges with all/most copies for a reasonable price; that way, you can combine international shipping. I replaced my American Brian Eno and Roxy Music* LPs with original UK pressings for pretty reasonable prices in this way. Of course, you gotta be patient (I'm still waiting for a couple troves myself).

* Speaking of Roxy Music US vs. UK LPs, and while we're already in geeky "which pressing is better?" territory, I just read this on another forum I've been known to frequent. I thought it was kind of interesting:

This is often the case with bands of the 60/70s. The conventional wisdom is to buy copies that come from the band's country of origin. There are exceptions, of course. But usually this is what people will tell you.

WASDF
Jul 29, 2011

Texibus posted:

brought back a bunch of old vinyl from a visit to my grandparents in Texas, how do I clean these things?

Well it depends on the era they're from, but Bazooka Joe finely chewed gets most of the crap out of the grooves. For a more recent pressing (10-20 years) something like Hubba Bubba is preferred, but even 5 Gum works surprisingly well.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

WASDF posted:

Well it depends on the era they're from, but Bazooka Joe finely chewed gets most of the crap out of the grooves. For a more recent pressing (10-20 years) something like Hubba Bubba is preferred, but even 5 Gum works surprisingly well.

Are you loving serious? Don't listen to this rear end in a top hat, he's trying to get you to wreck your poo poo.

What you're going to want to do is get three packs of watermelon flavored Big League Chew. Chew the contents of three entire packages, let it dry out for a while, then after four days moisten it up again with a mixture of three parts water one part olive oil. This should be enough to clean about 25 records if you use it correctly.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?
Like a peon, I clean my records with a knife!

cheapandugly
Jul 6, 2007
The cleaning solution that I have is mostly water and isopropyl alcohol, with a bit chocolate frosting for flavour.

Texibus
May 18, 2008
Good ole somethingawful advice, 3 comedy answers and one real one. Thanks to the dude for the knife tip that really helped, they all sound great now.

Texibus fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Dec 17, 2013

Fake James
Aug 18, 2005

Y'all got any more of that plastic?
Buglord
Here's a handy guide to buying that 'white whale' on your list!

Step 1: Get drunk
Step 2: Bid on Red Dead Redemption OST record
Step 3: Forget about bid
Step 4: Win for $85 when all of your Christmas shopping isn't done yet

:suicide:

Space Jam
Jul 22, 2008

Dr. Lenin posted:

Step 2: Bid on Oasis' What's The Story Morning Glory
Step 3: Watch the bidding intently
Step 4: Win for $111 when all of your Christmas shopping isn't done yet

That's how it's gone down for me

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

that's my thing that i say

Dr. Lenin posted:

yo that is a pretty decent price though. It owns, enjoy

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Why?

Dr. Lariat
Jul 1, 2004

by Lowtax

Dr. Lenin posted:

Sounds similar to my "rare rsd release" advice.

1. Find online seller with bad infrastructure.

2. Edge an order in as site crashes around you.

3. Assume order didn't take/not enough stock and start bidding on eBay copy.

4. End with high bid and shipping notice from web store.

5. Hooray, two copies!

Kaboobi
Jan 5, 2005

SHAKE IT BABY!
SALT THAT LADY!

Dr. Lenin posted:

Yeah but it's a really great soundtrack and totally worth the $20 I paid for it years ago :getin:

RaoulDuke12
Nov 9, 2004

The race is not to the swift, nor the battle to the strong, but to those who see it coming and jump aside.
Any recommendations for a gift for a discerning younger brother for more collectible vinyl that he maybe couldn't afford on his own? His birthday is only a couple days away from christmas, so I usually get him a couple nice things, I found a NM+ UK first pressing of "The Clash", but I'm maybe looking for a second LP that he would enjoy. Can probably afford around $100 or so. He listens to a lot of punk, but his musical tastes are pretty thorough.

I'm not a huge expert or anything, I don't want to get him anything lame but I obviously can't afford anything insane like "Pay To Cum" or something.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

RaoulDuke12 posted:

Any recommendations for a gift for a discerning younger brother for more collectible vinyl that he maybe couldn't afford on his own? His birthday is only a couple days away from christmas, so I usually get him a couple nice things, I found a NM+ UK first pressing of "The Clash", but I'm maybe looking for a second LP that he would enjoy. Can probably afford around $100 or so. He listens to a lot of punk, but his musical tastes are pretty thorough.

I'm not a huge expert or anything, I don't want to get him anything lame but I obviously can't afford anything insane like "Pay To Cum" or something.

An original Descendents - Milo Goes to College?

http://www.discogs.com/sell/list?release_id=630039&ev=rb

Without knowing more about his musical taste or specific vinyl tastes it's hard to guess -- I personally have some 'white whale' records that people who I didn't specifically tell would probably never guess. It's a very personal thing, hard to shop for someone as a surprise.

Does he keep a Discogs account or other catalog of his records?

lament.cfg fucked around with this message at 12:13 on Dec 18, 2013

izationalizer
Jul 2, 2012

I don't know what the hell's in there, but it's weird and pissed off, whatever it is.

Me in Reverse posted:

Without knowing more about his musical taste or specific vinyl tastes it's hard to guess

Yeah, this. Punk is right up my alley, but there are many strains and sub-strains of punk, too, not to mention all the different eras. It's not a homogenous genre, in other words. That being said, there are a few things that you really couldn't go wrong with, like:

-A first pressing of the first Ramones LP (catalog # SASD 7520), preferably with the misspellings on the label ("Beat Is On the Brat," etc.) There was a minty one floating around on eBay for $44.00 that I almost posted here--it sometimes sells for over $100--but it's gone now, unfortunately.

-A first UK pressing of the Sex Pistols' "Never Mind the Bollocks" with a blank back cover and 11 tracks. Even cooler would be a copy that still includes the bonus "Submission" single.

-A UK pressing of "London Calling," but you probably already thought of that.

All three of these titles have great sound quality to boot. Also worth noting is that there was finally an official reissue of "Pay to Cum" a few years ago, so you could toss that in for cheap.

Also, is he familiar with the Killed By Death compilations? Every punk fan should hear the first four volumes of the KBD comps.

If you wanted to toss in some reissues of ultra-rare 'n' expensive old-school punk singles, the Last Laugh and Sing Sing labels could be a good bet. The Normals' "Almost Ready" 7" (reish'd on Last Laugh) is a favorite at my house (incidentally, I scored an original of that for precisely $100, but good luck getting the same luck, heh).

Man. For $100, you could get all kinds of great punk-related stuff. Angry Samoans' "Back from Samoa," Pagans' "Pink Album," a pile of cool reissues of rare LPs like Ivy Green and Hubble Bubble and... well, I could go on, but as initially stated, it depends a lot on what your bro is into.

It also occurs to be that you could probably score UK pressings of the first three Wire LPs for $100. That'd be a pretty rad triple-hitter.

Finally, a tip, in case you pursue UK pressings of things (and assuming you're not already in the UK): Search ebay.co.uk, find sellers that don't explicitly offer international shipping, and then ask them whether they'd be willing to ship internationally. Sometimes they'll say yes, and it'll expand your options--and you may find that their auctions end for less, because they don't explicitly offer international shipping.

1000 umbrellas
Aug 25, 2005

We thought we'd base our civilization upon yours, 'cause you're the smartest animals on earth, now ain't you?

RaoulDuke12 posted:

Or get him something completely different (in addition to one cool collectible); a record that is important to you that you're pretty sure he's never heard before. As being a record collector comes secondary to being a fan of music (for me, and for most except for the fetishists, I'd imagine), the best gifts that I've received take the form of music that I've never heard from people I admire. It's a riskier move, but that you've already gone this far for him tells me that you and your brother are close enough to pull it off.

1000 umbrellas fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Dec 18, 2013

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

1000 umbrellas posted:

Or get him something completely different (in addition to one cool collectible); a record that is important to you that you're pretty sure he's never heard before. As being a record collector comes secondary to being a fan of music (for me, and for most except for the fetishists, I'd imagine), the best gifts that I've received take the form of music that I've never heard from people I admire. It's a riskier move, but that you've already gone this far for him tells me that you and your brother are close enough to pull it off.

Counter point: a friend did this and gave me an Iron & Wine album.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

Yeah I can't pretend that anyone would want to hear the music I like the most. That's a pretty lovely gift.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:
This, but unironically.

a milk crime
Jun 30, 2007

Murky Waters
big business man

RaoulDuke12 posted:

Maybe get him a Record Clamp. *(Don't get him the $3,500 clamp, it's just an example, I think you should get him one though).

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

alg posted:

Yeah I can't pretend that anyone would want to hear the music I like the most. That's a pretty lovely gift.

My girlfriend's ex got "her" a Gong CD for her birthday and basically made her listen to it. And then when she hopped out to grab something, she came back to find him listening to it dejectedly with stacks of passive-aggressiveness. She's into a lot of stuff, but, man, she is not a prog-head. Her favorite three groups are probably The Mountain Goats, R.E.M., and The New Pornographers.

a milk crime posted:

Maybe get him a Record Clamp. *(Don't get him the $3,500 clamp, it's just an example, I think you should get him one though).

Are you making GBS threads me? This has to be a joke.

eggsovereasy
May 6, 2011

a milk crime posted:

$3500 record weights belong in the ridicule audiophiles thread.

a milk crime
Jun 30, 2007

Murky Waters
big business man
Okay I clearly said "don't get a $3,500 record clamp," and no, it's not a joke.

quote:

The main benefit of a record clamp is when playing warped, bowled or thinly pressed records. In these cases, clamps really do help smooth out vinyl, and significantly reduce unwanted needle motion or bouncing. (But they do not eliminate warping or bowling completely – only minimize its effect.) This is especially important when trying to digitally archive your vinyl, and you want to capture the best recording possible. I’m not saying I couldn’t live without one, but when I need one I’m drat glad it’s there, and I wish I had one sooner.

I prefer simply designed metal clamps in the 400g to 700g range. (I avoid bubble level meters or other things that could throw it out of balance when spinning.) Felt or rubber on the bottom is not necessary. Some people worry that without felt their record labels will get scratched up, but that does not happen because there is no motion between the record and clamp – it is a dead-weight sitting firmly on top of the record. Lastly, don't spend a lot of money on a clamp. There are some low-cost ones from Hong Kong being sold on eBay and elsewhere that totally do the trick.
- Terre Thaemlitz.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Dissapointed Owl posted:

Counter point: a friend did this and gave me an Iron & Wine album.

Counter counter point: My best friend, and fellow collector, got me Sigh No More for the express purpose of bringing girls home "to listen to records."

Both of us despise Mumford & Sons but that album's been extremely useful.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

Electric Bugaloo posted:

Counter counter point: My best friend, and fellow collector, got me Sigh No More for the express purpose of bringing girls home "to listen to records."

Both of us despise Mumford & Sons but that album's been extremely useful.

That's evil. Evil genius.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:
Man, virginity is dramatic