Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mashed
Jul 27, 2004

rotaryfun posted:

Came in today. I'm so much more excited about this than I probably should be.

Already started it up and did a few flips in the office. Pretty awesome. Few coworks promptly went and ordered some for themselves/kids.

Nice. I really should get a small quad for flying indoors.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ease
Jul 19, 2004

HUGE
FPV isn't off limits with that either :

Rubiks Pubes
Dec 5, 2003

I wanted to be a neo deconstructivist, but Mom wouldn't let me.
I am PRETTY sure I'm getting an X1 for Christmas. So excited and maybe it will keep me from destroying my Phantom.

FuzzyBuddha
Dec 7, 2003

ease posted:

Google's reverse image search is failing me, so I'll assume this is a personal picture. :) Can you give some details for a total newbie? Is this a kit of some sort?

rotaryfun
Jun 30, 2008

you can be my wingman anytime

ease posted:

That's awesome. And this is still with the 350 mah battery?

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
This seems like the right thread to ask: Years ago, I was handed down a couple old RC planes from my late step grandfather. They ended up just taking up space and now I want them out. Would they be worth selling, or should I just trash them?

ease
Jul 19, 2004

HUGE
It's from FPV lab user Joesa3rd :
http://fpvlab.com/forums/showthread.php?6872-Checking-in-from-Northeast-US&p=395485&viewfull=1#post395485

I think you need to sign up (do it) to see the thread, but here are his specs :

Blade mQX BNF
200mw 5.8GHz VTX
Skew Planar Antenna
Pico Camera

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5u2iZm_uuE0

rotaryfun
Jun 30, 2008

That is really awesome. It's amazing where technology has come and just how small everything is getting.

dr cum patrol esq
Sep 3, 2003

A C A B

:350:

Freakazoid_ posted:

This seems like the right thread to ask: Years ago, I was handed down a couple old RC planes from my late step grandfather. They ended up just taking up space and now I want them out. Would they be worth selling, or should I just trash them?

Not gonna five any deets on the planes?

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

I've got a problem with some insurgents in my local neighborhood, does anyone have any schematics on how to hook up some model rockets to a drone?

mashed
Jul 27, 2004

evilweasel posted:

I've got a problem with some insurgents in my local neighborhood, does anyone have any schematics on how to hook up some model rockets to a drone?

Model rockets are cumbersome and you have limited ammo not to mention the legal difficulties. I would instead go with a Trex 800 size helicopter. It doesn't need any attachments to be "effective".

Artists impression of the results https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uye6IO6Odp4

ease
Jul 19, 2004

HUGE
drat insurgents! Get off my lawn!

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

evilweasel posted:

Why not a shotgun? :zoid:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bZCH1492CzA

Delta-Wye fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Dec 17, 2013

FuzzyBuddha
Dec 7, 2003

Awesome. :) Thanks for the info. I've registered on the site. Now to get to reading.

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

FuzzyBuddha posted:

Awesome. :) Thanks for the info. I've registered on the site. Now to get to reading.

I thought a username concurrently reading the thread looked familiar, ha!

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

front wing flexing posted:

Not gonna five any deets on the planes?

I was hoping for some general advice, because the two planes I have don't have any obvious model numbers. If they did, I would've had something to research with.

The first plane looks pretty much like a shrunk down older cessna, with a wing span of about two or two and a half feet and feels kinda like plastic construction. The second plane is much bigger, can't quite tell what material it's made of, and I have trouble making a comparison with any existing aircraft. It has a wingspan of about five feet, has yellow wings and tail section, a half blue and half yellow fuselage, and orange flaps on the wings. The cockpit is located almost in the center of the fuselage. The propeller blades were removed and never replaced, but were originally made of wood. Both planes have motor engines and share a single remote control which I seem to have misplaced.

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye

Freakazoid_ posted:

I was hoping for some general advice, because the two planes I have don't have any obvious model numbers. If they did, I would've had something to research with.

The first plane looks pretty much like a shrunk down older cessna, with a wing span of about two or two and a half feet and feels kinda like plastic construction. The second plane is much bigger, can't quite tell what material it's made of, and I have trouble making a comparison with any existing aircraft. It has a wingspan of about five feet, has yellow wings and tail section, a half blue and half yellow fuselage, and orange flaps on the wings. The cockpit is located almost in the center of the fuselage. The propeller blades were removed and never replaced, but were originally made of wood. Both planes have motor engines and share a single remote control which I seem to have misplaced.

If they are older planes with glow engines then the hip young kids with their FPVUAVquadrodronecopters and 3D Crack Watchamacallits with electricity in them probably won't be interested, so this means selling online is probably going to be more pain than it's worth.

Assuming you are in the US, go here: http://www.modelaircraft.org/clubsearch.aspx and find a club in your area. Contact the president of this club and ask about a swap meet or auction near you, bring them and sell them.

The most you could possibly stand to make on both aircraft is probably a hundred bucks if that's worth your time. It's equally possible that it will only bring twenty bucks.

rotaryfun
Jun 30, 2008

ease posted:

I think it will probably be ok w/ that battery, but I've never flow it on anything other than the stock. Let me know how it works out.

Been flying with the 600's and haven't had any problems at all with stability or slowness. Doesn't seem to have any real effect on the quad which has been a blast to fly!

Though I do have to mention that I did manage to break it already. But let me preface this with the fact it's taken quite the beating and only just now broke.

I had been flying it very successfully in a circle pattern and I was pretty happy with that since I've only flown a quad a few times. Went a bit higher was doing little back and forth speed passes when a gust of wind caught it, stood it up vertical and it went into a nose dive for the ground. Probably fell from about 75 feet.

Replacement parts are sold at hobbypartz.com so I grabbed the spaceship body and the plastic guard. Guard was $3.50.

rotaryfun fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Dec 20, 2013

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Started putting this one together last night:

48" wingspan is somewhat larger than I expected!. Still waiting for my servos to arrive from HK

Mantle
May 15, 2004

rotaryfun posted:

Came in today. I'm so much more excited about this than I probably should be.

Already started it up and did a few flips in the office. Pretty awesome. Few coworks promptly went and ordered some for themselves/kids.

How are the third party batteries working? Can you charge them with the Syma USB lead?

Illusive Fuck Man
Jul 5, 2004
RIP John McCain feel better xoxo 💋 🙏
Taco Defender
I built and flew my first r/c thing yesterday. voice/camera is my dad.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mRoWmbUeTEs

Probably should have taken it to the field. Luckily the only thing that broke is a piece of wood.

Dobermaniac
Jun 10, 2004
Just ordered my dad, my brother, and I all syma x1's. It's going to be all out war when were not smashing them into the ground/ walls

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Illusive gently caress Man posted:

I built and flew my first r/c thing yesterday. voice/camera is my dad.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mRoWmbUeTEs

Probably should have taken it to the field. Luckily the only thing that broke is a piece of wood.

Probably should have used less throttle!!

Crankit
Feb 7, 2011

HE WATCHES
What's the cheapest FPV flying-whatever (plane, copter or anything) that you can get?

Rubiks Pubes
Dec 5, 2003

I wanted to be a neo deconstructivist, but Mom wouldn't let me.
I did get an X1, yay! For some reason I am finding it MUCH harder to fly than my Phantom, though. Would switching it to Mode 2 on the remote help with that?

Mantle
May 15, 2004

Rubiks Pubes posted:

I did get an X1, yay! For some reason I am finding it MUCH harder to fly than my Phantom, though. Would switching it to Mode 2 on the remote help with that?

Congrats! I prefer "mode 2" on the X1. I put it in quotes because I think on the X1 mode 1/2 is actually mode 2/4 in the real world.

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

Hey thread, I have never dabbled with the RC aerial vehicle world before, but my wife got me a Blade Nano QX for Christmas. Unfortunately, she got me the BNF version instead of the RTF version, so now I need a transmitter. Any recommendations? I'm thinking of looking for a used DX5e around town, but if there's a way to get something for $40 or less that's compatible I'd prefer that.

ease
Jul 19, 2004

HUGE
You could get an Orange Tx, or a module based (Turnigy 9x or 9xr) tx w/ an orange (spektrum compatible) module. If you plan on flying more stuff in the future, it's smart to spend the extra 20-30$ to get a tx you'll be able to do more with when you are ready. Also, keep in mind you'll be paying for shipping and waiting for one of those to come in from China. Hobbyking may have some turnigy stuff in stock in the US warehouse. You can try the classifieds at rcgroups too.

The 5e will be fine if not.

mashed
Jul 27, 2004

ease posted:

You could get an Orange Tx, or a module based (Turnigy 9x or 9xr) tx w/ an orange (spektrum compatible) module. If you plan on flying more stuff in the future, it's smart to spend the extra 20-30$ to get a tx you'll be able to do more with when you are ready. Also, keep in mind you'll be paying for shipping and waiting for one of those to come in from China. Hobbyking may have some turnigy stuff in stock in the US warehouse. You can try the classifieds at rcgroups too.

The 5e will be fine if not.
Totally the right advice.

I would even recommend skipping the orange tx and going with the module based radios. They cost a little more but will support anything you wish to stick on them later with different radio standards including LRS systems. The firmware on them is more configurable than many radios costing hundreds of dollars.

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

mashed_penguin posted:

Totally the right advice.

I would even recommend skipping the orange tx and going with the module based radios. They cost a little more but will support anything you wish to stick on them later with different radio standards including LRS systems. The firmware on them is more configurable than many radios costing hundreds of dollars.

How hard is it to fuss with firmware? And what do you fuss with firmware to do, anyways? Isn't it just one stick for forward/back and left/right, and one for throttle and rotate? I suppose another for angling blades?

I ordered a cheap $20 controller someone snagged out of the rtf box off eBay: I figure if I like it I will spring for one of the nicer transmitters, whether an orange tx or module based.

When you say module based, what do you mean?

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

Arcturas posted:

Pretty sure he's referring to the Turnigy 9x and similar radios, where you run open source firmware and pull the removable radio tx module out of the back to switch protocols to:

CrazyLittle fucked around with this message at 08:57 on Dec 27, 2013

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer
I got an X1 for a Christmas gift from me to me, to see how much I like/can fly quads. I like them a lot. I am looking at building one. In the future I hope to put on a Gopro and maybe a cheapo small airsoft gun, strictly for use during airsoft games. I realize this is pipe-dreamy but for now, I put together a parts list - and Xcoptercalc says I'll get about 2.6 minutes' flight time out of it.

Anyone want to point me at any mistakes I made in my parts selection or Xcoptercalc inputs?

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

3 minutes is very short for a quad.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer

ImplicitAssembler posted:

3 minutes is very short for a quad.

Yeah, hence why I'm trying to get input on my parts or if I put something incorrectly into Xcoptercalc.

mashed
Jul 27, 2004

Arcturas posted:

How hard is it to fuss with firmware? And what do you fuss with firmware to do, anyways? Isn't it just one stick for forward/back and left/right, and one for throttle and rotate? I suppose another for angling blades?

I ordered a cheap $20 controller someone snagged out of the rtf box off eBay: I figure if I like it I will spring for one of the nicer transmitters, whether an orange tx or module based.

Opentx is very straightforward to install and use you just need a usbasp to do the flashing. They are about $5 on ebay. On a simple model it is pretty much what you describe but on more complicated things there are tons of things you can set up. You can remap axis through curves which is important for collective pitch helis. You an have switches to have variable rates on your different channels so you can adjust sensitivity in flight. You can have exponential on your axis so it is less sensitive around the center point and more towards the ends to make a model less twitchy.

You don't need most of this stuff in huge beginning but it is very handy to have.

flick3r
Apr 22, 2011

ease posted:

It's from FPV lab user Joesa3rd :
http://fpvlab.com/forums/showthread.php?6872-Checking-in-from-Northeast-US&p=395485&viewfull=1#post395485

I think you need to sign up (do it) to see the thread, but here are his specs :

Blade mQX BNF
200mw 5.8GHz VTX
Skew Planar Antenna
Pico Camera

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5u2iZm_uuE0

Thanks for sharing some info on that awesome little quadcopter. I just ordered parts to build one really similar to that. When I get them and get enough time to start the project I'll post pics as well.

Barnsy
Jul 22, 2013

NitroSpazzz posted:

Then the Trex 250, after getting it setup and dialed in perfect, had a glitch or something...it's a tangled mess of twisted parts :(

Welcome to heli flying! Now you can enjoy building it. At least the 250 is cheap to fix! I lost the tail on my Gaui x4ii this weekend, that'll be pricier to mend.

Barnsy
Jul 22, 2013

MJP posted:

Yeah, hence why I'm trying to get input on my parts or if I put something incorrectly into Xcoptercalc.

I think under 'voltage' for the battery area you should be putting optimal cell load (4.2v) rather than 3.7v. As it is the calculator thinks you're running discharged lipos.

Your rated voltage is 14.8V (correct for 4s) but your actual voltage is 12.59V (discharged 4s lipo).

Barnsy fucked around with this message at 13:49 on Dec 29, 2013

Barnsy
Jul 22, 2013

ImplicitAssembler posted:

Started putting this one together last night:

48" wingspan is somewhat larger than I expected!. Still waiting for my servos to arrive from HK

You'll be really happy with it, just make sure you reinforce the landing gear mount.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Barnsy posted:

You'll be really happy with it, just make sure you reinforce the landing gear mount.

Skywing has changed the LG mount, so this is hopefully no longer an issue. I finished it yesterday, but I am having issues with the elevator servo jittering when centered. If I added trim it went away.
Using these servos:
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__24763__Turnigy_TGY_113MG_Metal_Gear_Digital_Servo_2_2kg_0_10s_12g.html