Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ugh whatever jeez
Mar 19, 2009

Buglord
Holding iPad with 2 hands my left thumb is right over the button bar on the left, if I want to scroll forum or thread list I have to extra reach over that bar... I think those buttons really should be somewhere near the top or bottom not left or right.

Also I really hoped this update would fix the gesture to pull out forum/thread list, not remove it altogether :(

And for some reason expand thread column button has ~3 second delay.

ugh whatever jeez fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Dec 17, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mason Dixon
Jul 28, 2001

Crimson Butterfly

So after using this new version for a bit, I think some of the constructive criticism is justified, while some is just unfamiliarity. I'm also confused by some design decisions. Not familiar with iOS design philosophy, just a basic usability perspective. All my thoughts are based off the iPhone 5 version, using the white background and black text.

- Posts don't seem separated distinctly enough, I would like a slightly darker or bolder post separator bar.
- Same request for dividing the username part of the post from the post content.
- Unread post count font isn't distinct enough from the background.
- I would really love some borders around each button (First/Last/Go) in the go-to page module. That view looks lazy without the borders, IMO, and especially is a kinda hard to tell where the division between hitting First and Last is.
- Same request for the Cancel and Post buttons on theReply to Thread form.
- Why is a link to this thread in the settings? I can see why you'd want a permanent link to this thread, but it would make more sense to me to have it as a permanently bookmarked thread, which always shows at the top of the bookmark list.
- In the thread view, why does the button at the bottom-left bring up options for switching background/text color, avatars and images on/off? Certainly these are useful functions, but do they really need to be quick-accessible, as opposed to only in the settings page? I dunno, maybe I'm in the minority, but those are set-it-and-forget-it functions for me. I would MUCH rather see those settings only on the settings page, and instead use that menu to display the old quick-nav buttons that used to be on the bottom of the page.
- I like being able to swipe back, but how about being able to swipe forward (i.e. to whichever thread you were previously viewing)? For longer, more active threads, often I'll read for a bit, then want to check if any shorter/slower threads in the forum have new posts. If they do, great, I go check them. But if not, I'd like to not have to go searching for the thread and page I just left, and just swipe forward to resume reading it. Not a huge thing, but I'm all for convenience.
- I'd like a link to the smilies page. I like using them sometimes, but don't use them often enough to have more than a few memorized.

AlwaysWetID34
Mar 8, 2003
*shrug*

The Dave posted:

It's not my baby though. Trust me I work in Design/UI/UX and have for awhile and don't get personally attachment to things, and the design of this app has been a collaborated effort. Hey there was even a thread about it and we were all pretty open about it!

You're championing for this pretty hard for it to not be your baby. It looks like this is the biggest complaint your users have right now.

Navigation should be the number one priority for an App. You can have a great feature set, but if it's convoluted to use, people won't see that. Navigation should be easy, second nature, intuitive. I think you have that in the sense of using Apple's swipe to go back function. The problem is that's only part of the navigation, the main part of it (the entire Nav menu) you went in the opposite direction with, you made it harder and more clunky to reach and use. How many examples in the App Store can you point to that make it this convoluted to get back to their main menu?

The idea of "You guys will just get used to using it the way I want you to" doesn't really work for anyone besides Steve Jobs.

AlwaysWetID34 fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Dec 17, 2013

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

McFunkerson posted:

You're championing for this pretty hard for it to not be your baby. It looks like this is the biggest complaint your users have right now.

Navigation should be the number one priority for an App. You can have a great feature set, but if it's convoluted to use, people won't see that. Navigation should be easy, second nature, intuitive. I think you have that in the sense of using Apple's swipe to go back function. The problem is that's only part of the navigation, the main part of it (the entire Nav menu) you went in the opposite direction with, you made it harder and more clunky to reach and use. How many examples in the App Store can you point to that make it this convoluted to get back to their main menu?

The idea of "You guys will just get used to using it the way I want you to" doesn't really work for anyone besides Steve Jobs.

Except it's not even been 24 hours and the app is introducing some new concepts.

I know that I wasn't personally using the "swipe all the way from the side" gesture in any app until this update. Anything new will take some time to get accustomed to and perhaps the new feature/implementation will outweigh the old one.

You do realize you are being "that goon" who is nitpicking something to death, right?

AlwaysWetID34
Mar 8, 2003
*shrug*

Thwomp posted:

Except it's not even been 24 hours and the app is introducing some new concepts.

I know that I wasn't personally using the "swipe all the way from the side" gesture in any app until this update. Anything new will take some time to get accustomed to and perhaps the new feature/implementation will outweigh the old one.

You do realize you are being "that goon" who is nitpicking something to death, right?

I apologize for being "that goon". As a fellow developer I was just trying to point out (in conjunction with others) that the navigation is broken. The navigation should lead you to those new features you're talking about, not be buried by them. I user the Awful App quite a bit is the only reason I said anything in the first place. I've said my peace, I'll leave it be.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Just to clear up some confusion on my end:

1) if I'm in one of my bookmarked threads and decide to go to the forums, I can't just to to the bottom piece like before. Instead, I have to swipe to the right twice, then go open up the forum, then select which forum, then select a thread, right?

2) any way to change the font size?

3) I can't swipe to the right on a bookmarked thread to delete it from bookmarks, now I have to hold my thumb over it to get the options menu to pop up?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

nwin posted:

Font size is now tied to the phone-level "Text Size" option (Settings -> General). So in order to adjust text size, you have to leave the app; not very good if you want to do it on the fly. Another case of the app losing inherent-functionality in the name of iOS 7 integration.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

McFunkerson posted:

Ummm, Facebook does it all the time.

And as always, just because 10 people are complaining about it doesn't mean that there aren't another 500 out there who are perfectly happy and not voicing their opinions at all. I think some people are severely overreacting and coming off like huge whiny babies. Give it a week or two. If you still feel the need to act like you're owed an app that is exactly the way that YOU want it and shouldn't ever change, then by all means.....

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

McFunkerson posted:

If 'championing for this pretty hard' means defending a design decision I made with 2 other people and trying to talk to people about their habits to get more examples of cases and giving my opinion, then I'm sorry for not being a lovely design that forfeits at the first sign of disagreeing.

I would respond to the rest but I would be repeating Thwomp.

I think you and I are like 100% on the same page. :highfive:

nwin posted:

Just to clear up some confusion on my end:

1) if I'm in one of my bookmarked threads and decide to go to the forums, I can't just to to the bottom piece like before. Instead, I have to swipe to the right twice, then go open up the forum, then select which forum, then select a thread, right?

3) I can't swipe to the right on a bookmarked thread to delete it from bookmarks, now I have to hold my thumb over it to get the options menu to pop up?

1) Correct

2) Correct. This was taken out to try out the iOS7 dynamic type. So if you want to change the app font sizing, you need to lower the type size system wide. It shouldn't affect apps that don't use iOS7 dynamic type, but I'm not all that familiar with changing the setting and what not.

3) Correct, however afaik this wasn't removed if just hasn't been added back in. Basically if something really obvious is missing (and isn't a clear design choice) it's because pokeyman didn't get it rebuilt yet. (And if you are good with iOS development, give the guy a hand and check out the public git repository!) The new app isn't a reskinning of the older app, it's a complete rebuild from the ground up. So it's not like we sat around and picked features to remove.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
Hi, love the update. Was just commenting to say it's a lot harder for me to navigate the app without a bottom bar showing on the main Forums view. Everything else is fine.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

jivjov posted:

Font size is now tied to the phone-level "Text Size" option (Settings -> General). So in order to adjust text size, you have to leave the app; not very good if you want to do it on the fly. Another case of the app losing inherent-functionality in the name of iOS 7 integration.

I think this was just a mistake on Apple's part, that they really didn't think through how to integrate this system setting with the many apps that are already providing per-app font size settings. They wanted to provide easy font sizing for apps that didn't have a setting, like if you can't see well and just want giant fonts, and it works well for that. But a lot of apps replaced their app-level setting with the system one, which doesn't work well if you want different information density in different apps.

Tweetbot made the same change, and added the app-level setting back in an update after the outcry.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

jivjov posted:

I went to Settings > General > Text Size and mine is set on the lowest possible size, yet the text in posts in Awful still seems too big to me. I really liked being able to adjust it myself in the last version because I know the size I had it set to was probably not the norm for most users but it worked well for me.

Disappointing Pie
Feb 7, 2006
Words cannot describe what a disaster the pie was.
Been using it on my iPad and iPhone. Getting pretty used to it on the iPhone but man on iPad all the lines dividing the elements like the threads from the thread itself just makes it look like a late 90's web page with tons of frames.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
My big thing with font size is I liked to change on the fly. When I'm reading the forum at night when I'm laying in bed, I like to turn the font size up a bit so it feels less like I'm straining my eyes. During the day, using the white theme, I turn it down again. If I'm stuck in traffic and not moving, I crank the font size up and read a post or two before the traffic light changes, etc.

Now, instead of just hitting a button in the app, I have to exit the app, go a couple levels deep into system settings, make a change, go back to the app, possibly have to go back to settings if I decide to tweak the size higher or lower, and then finally I can read in comfort.

App functionality was removed in favor of integrating with OS-level features.

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

Hi, the update sucks and is terrible.

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

"Winning is great, sure, but if you are really going to do something in life, the secret is learning how to lose. Nobody goes undefeated all the time. If you can pick up after a crushing defeat, and go on to win again, you are going to be a champion someday."
(Wilma Rudolph)

Count me as a +1 for desiring an app-level text size option.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

LPG Giant posted:

You did gain a feature: more space for reading threads! Before that bar would stay there, now it's hidden to the side. This makes the reading much nicer.
Nope, that was in the old version. You're talking about reading a thread in landscape on the iPad, right? I think there was a setting to designate whether you wanted the bar to always stay there (and reflow the posts around the bar), or have it temporarily swipe out (and overlap the posts now underneath the bar).

I always had the nav bar set to temporarily swipe in/out with one finger swipe anywhere on the screen, which is a lot more handy than whatever we have now (swiping inconsistently from off the left side of the screen which only works on the iphone version, what?).

Daniel Bryan
May 23, 2006

GOAT
Liking the update except that it seems that in the upper left should be a menu button, and navigation should be handled by swiping now. That's all I have, otherwise the app is much faster and looks a lot better.

Also, Tweetbot 3 had the font thing where they only used the system level sizing as well. People complained and they added the option to use the system level, or to choose your own. Best of both worlds.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

JazzFlight posted:

Nope, that was in the old version. You're talking about reading a thread in landscape on the iPad

I believe he's referring to the iPhone version, which gets that extra space without an always on screen bar.

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

JazzFlight posted:

Yeah, it'd be great if you guys just uploaded the previous version of the app as Awful Classic or whatever

This guy knows what's up

dodecahardon
Oct 20, 2008
In one of the older versions, pinching the screen vertically would remove the title bar when viewing a thread. This gesture doesn't do anything now. Is there a way to remove the title bar anymore?

Valencia
Feb 1, 2005

Cyril, go lock up the product before Cokie Monster here gobbles it all up.

:catdrugs:
Have a bug going where when swiping to get to the bookmarks/forum list, sometimes it will crash out and when I reopen it will take me back to the first thread I opened and not the last one I was reading (ie. read the Tasteless Tattoos thread, opened several threads after that, had 3 crashes and each time it took me back to the page of Tasteless Tattoos I started on). This is on a 5S with newest version of iOS 7.

Otherwise, looks good, great work!

ultramiraculous
Nov 12, 2003

"No..."
Grimey Drawer

adocious posted:

In one of the older versions, pinching the screen vertically would remove the title bar when viewing a thread. This gesture doesn't do anything now. Is there a way to remove the title bar anymore?

I was kinda thinking about doing something like this. Either Facebook-style where it slides away or maybe just a toggle to hide the bar completely. If you're using the swipe gesture the navigation bar is mostly taking up space.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

We've talked about / dreamed of doing the facebook nav bar disappear. Dooo ittttt,

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Instead of "Awful Classic", a re-release of the old version should be called "Awful: Whiny Crybaby Edition".

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

withak posted:

Instead of "Awful Classic", a re-release of the old version should be called "Awful: Whiny Crybaby Edition".

Yes, because every single person who isn't madly in love with the new update and has serious usability/layout concerns with it is a whiny crybaby.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
Yes, anyone who disagrees with you is a whiny crybaby and the issues that have been detailed are 1000% fictional.

Looks like a good thing I held off to see what the initial feedback sounded like!

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

In all fairness to the devs, it's really Apple's fault for encouraging this kind of thing.

Sigma
Aug 24, 2003

Grimey Drawer
Love the update, but the instapaper login is broken for me.

ultramiraculous
Nov 12, 2003

"No..."
Grimey Drawer

Brain Curry posted:

The page selector menu is still white in night mode. Other than that it seems great.

Fixed for next version. Also thread tags are toggle-able again.

Brain Curry
Feb 15, 2007

People think that I'm lazy
People think that I'm this fool because
I give a fuck about the government
I didn't graduate from high school

Sweet! The purple for quoted text seems a little dark for night mode but looks good against the white background.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

withak posted:

Yes, do this.

jivjov posted:

Yes, because every single person who isn't madly in love with the new update and has serious usability/layout concerns with it is a whiny crybaby.

Aren't you though?

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

withak posted:

Yeah, this.

The majority have had legitimate suggestions or requests, but quite a few people have thrown mini tantrums that someone dared change something they like.

How about you guys wait and see if they address your concerns instead of immediately jumping down their throats? Or you know, at least not be rude to someone who is doing something for free so that you can read a stupid Internet forum on your phone.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Mahoning posted:

How about you guys wait and see if they address your concerns instead of immediately jumping down their throats? Or you know, at least not be rude to someone who is doing something for free so that you can read a stupid Internet forum on your phone.

They also could have just not hit the update button, or copied the .ipa file on their desktop to keep a backup.

I mean, no one physically forced anyone to install new software.

Thrifting Day!
Nov 25, 2006

Edit. Maybe a bit unfair on second thoughts.

Thrifting Day! fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Dec 17, 2013

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Damn, this is good coffee.

xzzy posted:

They also could have just not hit the update button, or copied the .ipa file on their desktop to keep a backup.

I mean, no one physically forced anyone to install new software.

iOS 7 now installs updates automatically, actually.

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

illcendiary posted:

iOS 7 now installs updates automatically, actually.

Which, as was mentioned when people started flipping out about apps adopting the 7 design template, can be disabled.

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Damn, this is good coffee.
True, but it's actually pretty helpful most of the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thrifting Day!
Nov 25, 2006

My biggest gripe is that it's harder to browse the forums in that now it takes longer to navigate between bookmarks and the actual forums.

Where as before it was quick and easy to jump between the too.

I'm not mad keen on how threads seem to read like one big long list now and it's harder to tell when a post ends and a new post is starting. You could quite easily now just run over into another post and assume it's the same poster, whereas before it was really easy to distinguish where a post ended and a new one began.

I'm not a developer, I know zero about stuff like that. I think the app is a lot cleaner and "shinier" than before. But I think the app is now missing a few of what I'd say were it's key features in the old version.

• Locked thread