Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Chris Gaines posted:

I knew it'd be terrible so no!

It is so much easier to be lovely and jaded than it is to actually look at what was written :v:.

quote:

So, just for fun, I pulled a whole bunch of anonymously sourced sentences, and attempted to make one coherent-ish story, in which every sentence was anonymously sourced.

Actually, it wasn’t particularly fun. But it took a lot of time. So here it is.

I'm pretty sure this was not intended as serious journalism, but instead as a commentary on the nature of sports journalism itself. Meta-journalism if you will.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Parlett316
Dec 6, 2002

Jon Snow is viciously stabbed by his friends in the night's watch for wanting to rescue Mance Rayder from Ramsay Bolton
I wish Chris Gaines posts were anonymously sourced

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
They sort of are.

superaielman
Mar 16, 2006

You can't harm me. Are you a fucking ass? Do you not know who I am? He must not know who I am.

AAA DOLFAN posted:

He's such a goddamn caricature of himself at this point holy poo poo

What really makes me sad is that FakeOmarKelly hasn't updated since July.

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

superaielman posted:

I assume he quit because it's getting indistinguishable from the real thing.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002

superaielman posted:

It just got boring. Also it was two guys, so I'm extra shocked it's been stuck

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo

Chichevache posted:

It is so much easier to be lovely and jaded than it is to actually look at what was written :v:.

I'm pretty sure this was not intended as serious journalism, but instead as a commentary on the nature of sports journalism itself. Meta-journalism if you will.
I read it and said as much. Sorry for jumping the gun :shrug:

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
It's okay buddy. I usually skim long posts too.

Ribsauce
Jul 29, 2006

Blacks in the back.
Dan Steinberg is the greatest local sports blogger there is. I don't know who second place is, but the gap must be Grand Canyon sized

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
Despite Peter King I've come to expect good things from MMQB. This is not good.

Robert Klemko posted:

We find ourselves, now more than ever, in the business of mythmaking—Calvin Johnson is the unimpeachable, superhuman #Megatron—as fast as we can bang out breathless post-big-play tweets. Had a talent comparable to the Lions’ receiver lived in the 1920s and not been born in the ’80s, famed sportswriter/hero-maker Grantland Rice might have described him as the tap-dancing, football-swallowing Poseidon of Ford Field. Today, we just scream-annoint him a BEAST and leave it at that.

It’s as fantastic a farce as there is in pro football.

It continues on like that. I'm not sure that he knows hyperbole is used for emphasis and not literal statements of fact.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

quote:

Had a talent comparable to the Lions’ receiver lived in the 1920s and not been born in the ’80s

Am I the only person that can't even read this?

Beard Yawn
Apr 11, 2011

You would make a good Dalek.

superaielman posted:

What really makes me sad is that Twitter account isn't named PseudOmarKelly.

King Hong Kong
Nov 6, 2009

For we'll fight with a vim
that is dead sure to win.

The Puppy Bowl posted:

Despite Peter King I've come to expect good things from MMQB. This is not good.

It continues on like that. I'm not sure that he knows hyperbole is used for emphasis and not literal statements of fact.

Not being one to read "The MMQB" myself, I was for some reason holding out hope that Klemko's article was a lament of the prosaic praises and epithets that contemporary sports writers employ. Life would be much improved if writers would allow themselves to describe a player as a "football-swallowing Poseidon of Ford Field" instead of "Initials#" or some cliched word.

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?
was poseidon known for swallowing things? is there water at ford field? Is that mega stupid and purpler than loving barney???

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

This man is not pleased that his fourth round draft pick did not work out.

quote:

Heading into the season without a quarterback they felt was a long-term answer, the Raiders selected Wilson with their fourth-round pick this year — a rookie out of Arkansas who had some serious upside. At the time, many thought the pick could bring Oakland great value, considering Wilson was projected as a first-rounder just twelve months earlier.

This is not how the draft process works. If he was worth a first round pick at the time of the draft, he would've been taken in the first two rounds. The facet that he wasn't meant that he had serious holes in his game that turned him from a star into a project. It was great value, because Wilson has great tools, but expecting first round production out of a fourth round pick off the bat because he was projected in the first round is ridiculous.

quote:

By the time the season was set to begin, Wilson was placed on waivers before ever seeing a regular season game — to make matters worse, there wasn't a team in the league interested. Wilson was then re-signed to the practice squad, where he stayed for the remainder of his time in Oakland — even watching undrafted rookie Matt McGloin take over the starting job many thought might be his some day.

The fact there wasn't a single team interested should tell you something about Tyler Wilson. And the Raiders entered the season with Pryor and Flynn competing for the starting job and a burning heap of wreckage behind them; if you thought one of them might become starter, you had some very rosy lenses in your frames.

quote:

From Oakland's perspective, they probably wish they had just let Wilson remain a free agent from the day he cleared waivers. Then, at least, they wouldn't have today's reminder of what a failed pick it was.

Reminder that the Raiders took a flyer on a former first round prospect in the fourth. Not really a failed pick except for the fact he isn't on the team anymore, and most fourth round picks wash out anyways, even the ones that aren't quarterbacks that would be throwing to a bunch of UDFAs.

quote:

In two seasons thus far, McKenzie has gotten a pass from me thanks to the mess of a salary cap he inherited. With no cap space (and no first or second round pick two years ago), McKenzie had built in excuses all around him — not to mention a first year head coach.

YOUR PASS IS ABOUT TO BE REVOKED MCKENZIE, YOU'RE A LOOSE CANNON AND YOU AREN'T HITTING ON YOUR PICKS, HAND IN YOUR PASS AND GUN

quote:

While I would vote for Allen's firing at the end of this season, however, I do think McKenzie deserves one more season with another full draft class and some cap space to work with.

If 2014 looks anything like this season, however, it might be time for Oakland to start all over.

Again.

"Well it's been three years into this rebuild where we had no cap space, a ton of injuries to young players, and were in a no man's land for drafting QBs. Time to pull the plug."

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

To put it in perspective, I just ran a quick search and found 21 players drafted in the fourth round since 2000 who never even appeared in a game:

http://www.pro-football-reference.c...ce=any&show=dnp

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Sash! posted:

Am I the only person that can't even read this?

"If Calvin Johnson had played in the 20s and not today, Grantland Rice would've said blah blah blah"

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

If Calvin Johnson had played in the 1920's he'd have been all but superhuman.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Is he also white in this scenario or playing in some other football league?

Blotto Skorzany
Nov 7, 2008

He's a PSoC, loose and runnin'
came the whisper from each lip
And he's here to do some business with
the bad ADC on his chip
bad ADC on his chiiiiip

Kalli posted:

Is he also white in this scenario or playing in some other football league?

There were a handful of black players in the 20s; I imagine someone as physically gifted and crazy-talented as Megatron would have seen field time, at least until the 1933 season when Noted rear end in a top hat George Marshall became an owner.

King Hong Kong
Nov 6, 2009

Rap posted:

was poseidon known for swallowing things? is there water at ford field? Is that mega stupid and purpler than loving barney???

It at least has the virtue of being creative, if wrong, which is more than can be said for the rest of the article.

Badfinger
Dec 16, 2004

Timeouts?!

We'll take care of that.
People are excited by old nicknames because they aren't contemporary, and so they didn't have to live through the coining and discarding of all the lovely nicknames from 80 years ago. Can you imagine how horrible nicknames are going to be 25 years from now and how we'll pine for T-Mac and RG3?

Calvin Johnson is also a hilariously bad example of samey nicknames because it might not be original but it's unique.

sweet thursday
Sep 16, 2012

King Hong Kong posted:

It at least has the virtue of being creative, if wrong, which is more than can be said for the rest of the article.
Creativity is not required to walk hand in gossamery hand with an overly ostentation vernacular

King Hong Kong
Nov 6, 2009

sweet thursday posted:

Creativity is not required to walk hand in gossamery hand with an overly ostentation vernacular

That really should be the least of his worries.

Ribsauce
Jul 29, 2006

Blacks in the back.
This is an old article but it really bothers me. A lot of people these days, including some posters here, have such a knee jerk reaction to pot ever being mentioned as a negative thing they refuse to admit it does cause some people problems. they refuse to admit weed use can be a problem for some people. (edit - this is what I meant to say earlier but I am stupid and a horrible poster)

This Deadspin article is the pinnacle of this.

http://deadspin.com/pot-isnt-life-and-death-and-tyrann-mathieu-isnt-a-re-1463990959

quote:

Tyrann Mathieu smoked some weed in college. If we're going to play this brain-dead association game, let's start by being clear about what he actually did. He smoked some weed, somehow got vilified for it, was thrown off his football team, went to rehab for weed, and now plays for the Arizona Cardinals. There is no inherent connectivity among any of those events—they succeed one another in a m

He can't, though, because despite going through the media wringer with every right answer, and for Christ's sake, going to rehab, twice, for smoking weed, he's still on uneasy footing, because discipline and authority in football are unimpeachable,

You would have to be a dumbass to reduce everything that happened to him as "smoked some weed and got caught." The man has some serious demons from his past and to dismiss them as getting caught for smoking weed, and to act as if there is nothing else going on with him, is irresponsible at best. It is disrespectful to him to downplay what he is going through. He didn't have to attend months of counseling, inpatient rehab, have Patrick Peterson basically isolate him from all the negative people from his past, because of "just weed." Sometimes people actually do have real problems.

I hope the Cardinals surround him with the support system he needs while he is rehabbing.

Ribsauce fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Dec 21, 2013

sweet thursday
Sep 16, 2012

People with problems are more susceptible to weed and substance abuse in general, it doesn't therefore mean that weed makes you more susceptible to problems

edit: but yeah, it can definitely be a negative factor in the lives of a lot of people. And that's all I have to say about that forever.

sweet thursday fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Dec 20, 2013

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
I think your causation and correlation are a little skewed but whatever. Having the drug debate in the US is so mind numbingly irritating

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

You know who else had everything in their past reduced to 'smoked some weed' in the public's perception?

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

Kalli posted:

You know who else had everything in their past reduced to 'smoked some weed' in the public's perception?

He's so happy, so unaware of the murders he's gonna commit

Rasczak
Mar 30, 2005

Kalli posted:

As soon as I saw those tattoos I was like "yep he's probably going to kill at least a few people"

Just waiting for the other shoe to drop with Kaepernick

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Declan MacManus posted:

He's so happy, so unaware of the murders he's gonna commit
He'd probably already killed at least 4 by this point.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Rasczak posted:

As soon as I saw those tattoos I was like "yep he's probably going to kill at least a few people"

Just waiting for the other shoe to drop with Kaepernick

Finally we have proof that Cam Newton is an objectively better human being than Drew Brees. Cam is ink free.

Ribsauce
Jul 29, 2006

Blacks in the back.

sweet thursday posted:

People with problems are more susceptible to weed and substance abuse in general, it doesn't therefore mean that weed makes you more susceptible to problems

edit: but yeah, it can definitely be a negative factor in the lives of a lot of people. And that's all I have to say about that forever.

drat my first sentence was not what I meant to say. I meant to say while weed did not cause his problems, it is not very fair to act like it is not a problem for him. If he is using it in an attempt to suppress his other problems instead of addressing them, it is still bad. I should have read that a few times before hitting submit. The man has had a tough childhood and the fact he is even alive at this point should be commended. A ton of credit should go to Patrick Peterson as well for being a true friend to him instead of another person around him without his best interests in mind.

Ribsauce fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Dec 21, 2013

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Edit: Never mind

Theris
Oct 9, 2007

http://nfl.si.com/2013/12/22/derrick-johnson-horse-collar-call-kansas-city-chiefs/

A season filled with just absolutely appallingly bad calls, and that's the worst call of the season? Keep in mind that in the very same game this happened.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

i'm dying

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/miami-dolphins/fl-omar-kelly-dolphins-1226-20131225,0,2410859.story

quote:

Miami Dolphins must find a way out of the NFL's Matrix

Dolphins fans must find a way to await negativity with the franchise's first playoff bid on the line Sunday against the Jets

By Omar Kelly, Commentary

1:33 PM EST, December 25, 2013

"I imagine right now you're feeling a bit like Alice, tumbling down the rabbit hole after last Sunday's embarrassing loss to Buffalo," Morpheus says to the one Dolphins fan.

"You can say that," the Dolfan responds.

"You have the look of a man accepting what he sees because he's expecting to wake up," Morpheus says. "Ironically, this is not far from the truth.

"Do you believe in fate?" Morpheus asks.

"No," Dolfan replies.

"Why not?" Morpheus asks.

"Because I don't like the idea I'm not in control of the Dolphins season," Dolfan retorts. "I don't like the idea of my franchise being mediocre since Dan Marino retired."

"I know exactly what you mean," Morpheus said. "Let me tell you why you are here.

"You're here because you know something. What you know you can't explain. But you feel it. You've felt it your entire fan hood. You know that there's something wrong with your team. You don't know what it is, but it is there like a splinter in your mind driving you mad.

"It is this feeling that has brought you to me. It is the feeling that what can go wrong eventually will. The feeling that the Dolphins will eventually let you down, just like they did against the Bills last Sunday with the playoffs within the team's grasp. You're waiting for that feeling again in Sunday's game against the Jets.

"It is called the 'That's so Dolphins' moment," Morpheus explains. "It is part of the NFL's Matrix, which is meant to keep every team relevant, but only let a few experience the joy of the postseason. Do you know what I'm talking about?"

"That's so Dolphins?" Dolfan says with a whispering tone.

"Mediocrity is all around us," Morpheus says before pointing to the Texans, Vikings, Redskins and Falcons, playoffs teams from last season that have taken a nose dive. "Even now you can see it when you turn on TV, listen to radio, check the Internet. That's so Dolphins is the negativity that surrounds South Florida regarding its own NFL team. You can feel it when you go to work, when you go to church, when you pay for your season tickets. You expect the worst outcome because you've been trained to by this decade of irrelevance."

"The Dolphins have had three winning seasons since 2003," Dolfan admits. "And only once have they made it to the playoffs this decade.

"They are on the verge of ending the drought now, but I keep expecting the worst, a loss to the Jets."

"It is that negativity that has been pulled over your eyes to blind you from the truth," Morpheus says.

"What truth?" Dolfan asks.

"That forward progress has been made. But like every other fan of a franchise you were born into bondage," Morpheus states. "Born into a prison that you cannot smell, taste, or touch. A prison of negativity that distorts your view.

"Unfortunately, no one can be told how to change that. You have to see it for yourself."

You have to wash away Pete Stoyanovich missing a 48-yard field goal to lose to the Chargers in the final seconds of the 1994 AFC playoffs.

Forget Dan Marino getting blown out 62-7 in his final playoff game back in 1999.

Flush away Chad Pennington leading the '08 team to the AFC East title, only to get manhandled by the Ravens in the playoffs.

Those are all positive years that ended with a bad outcome.

Stop thinking about the Dolphins allowing game costing sacks, interceptions, and touchdowns in the fourth quarter of critical games this season. Think about what could be.

Morpheus opens up a container that holds one orange and one aqua pill in front of Dolfan.

"This is your last chance," Morpheus says. "Take the orange pill and the story ends and you wake up in your bed Monday morning and believe what you want to believe. The Dolphins are cursed. Nothing good will ever come to this franchise.

"Take the aqua pill and you stay in Dolphins land, but I show you how deep the rabbit hole goes."

Dolfan picks his pill, puts it in his mouth and washes it down with a drink of water.

"Follow me" Morpheus says as the two begin walking down a Sun Life Stadium hallway. "I'm trying to free your mind. But you're the only one that can break the code of the Matrix."

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
That's just I don't know I'm so scared

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

That's so Dolphins

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

Beat reporter, superhero, script writer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

superaielman
Mar 16, 2006

You can't harm me. Are you a fucking ass? Do you not know who I am? He must not know who I am.

Declan MacManus posted:

Beat reporter, superhero, script writer

This is turning into the Omar Kelly Says Stupid poo poo megathread for a reason.

• Locked thread