Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sophia
Apr 16, 2003

The heart wants what the heart wants.

Deadpool posted:

I thought it was good, but it's not great. It looks amazing though. I think Rectify is legitimately great though. One of the best shows I've seen this year. But if you can't deal with slow introspective stuff you'd probably hate it. Because it's about as slow as TV gets.

I dunno if it's that it's introspective so much as just no one is really that interesting to me. Elizabeth Moss is doing her best, and I liked the girl who disappeared, but the rest of the characters are just various shades of pale. Even the dad, who I thought might be cool, has turned into someone I'm no longer that excited to see show up. It's way better than The Killing's first season was but I thought I'd be more wowed by a show that's showing up on so many Top 10 lists.

I tried to watch some of Rectify and I didn't like it much but I will try it again if it ever shows up on streaming somewhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Sophia posted:

I dunno if it's that it's introspective so much as just no one is really that interesting to me. Elizabeth Moss is doing her best, and I liked the girl who disappeared, but the rest of the characters are just various shades of pale. Even the dad, who I thought might be cool, has turned into someone I'm no longer that excited to see show up. It's way better than The Killing's first season was but I thought I'd be more wowed by a show that's showing up on so many Top 10 lists.

I tried to watch some of Rectify and I didn't like it much but I will try it again if it ever shows up on streaming somewhere.

I was referring to Rectify being very slow and introspective. I guess Top of the Lake kind of fits that, but Rectify much more so.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Rectify is goddamn poetry, but like poetry, is not for everyone I guess.

To talk about nerd poo poo a little more, if you aren't watching The Genius and you like reality scheming shows then why the gently caress aren't you watching The Genius?!

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

God knows what lives in me in place of me.
Grimey Drawer
Rectify took me four episodes to really get into (and it's only six episodes long), but goddamn, if those last two episodes aren't some of the best TV I've seen in years. They completely validate the hype surrounding the show.

Joramun
Dec 1, 2011

No man has need of candles when the Sun awaits him.

Deadpool posted:

I was referring to Rectify being very slow and introspective.

Not in a grating way though, but in a way that you want to savor every second of it.

I can't wait for the expanded second season.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Parks and Rec has been rubbish this season, I want it to end.

Also, Doctor Who desperately needs a new production team, and it's such a shame that won't happen for another year at least.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

You're the Sweetums of people.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

PriorMarcus posted:

Also, Doctor Who desperately needs a new production team,

Definitely. I'm getting sick of Matt Smith, too, but at least he's getting the boot next week.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

I'm getting tired of the whole Who shtick, it gets goofier every season. I don't know what they can do besides tone that poo poo down to make it bearable again.

Sophia
Apr 16, 2003

Should have done a woman Doctor when they had the chance

BrooklynBruiser
Aug 20, 2006

Sophia posted:

There'll be plenty more chances.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Sophia posted:

Ah, but they did

and everybody hated her.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Irish Joe posted:

Ah, but they did

and everybody hated her.

I just now caught up with Who after starting the revamp episodes. People didn't like River? I liked River.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

thrawn527 posted:

I just now caught up with Who after starting the revamp episodes. People didn't like River? I liked River.

I have never seen a Dr. Who episode and even I know everyone hates River. I don't know who River is I just know everyone hates her.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Doctor Butts posted:

I'm getting tired of the whole Who shtick, it gets goofier every season. I don't know what they can do besides tone that poo poo down to make it bearable again.
Who has always been whimsical. Yeah yeah, we all know it started as a kids show, but remember that it has to appeal to the broadest BBC audience, which basically means it's the TV equivalent of a G-rated movie.

We'd love for it to be dark and gritty like BSG, but that is literally impossible.

But yeah, I agree it's getting to be ridiculous.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

zoux posted:

I have never seen a Dr. Who episode and even I know everyone hates River. I don't know who River is I just know everyone hates her.

Well you see she's smug (like the Doctor), knows more than everybody else (like the Doctor), likes to have crazy adventures (like the Doctor) and.. wait, where was I going with this?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Irish Joe posted:

Well you see she's smug (like the Doctor), knows more than everybody else (like the Doctor), likes to have crazy adventures (like the Doctor) and.. wait, where was I going with this?

Wait so what's the one major difference between her and the Doctor?

BrooklynBruiser
Aug 20, 2006

thrawn527 posted:

You see, she's female and she's just as badass, if not more so, as the Doctor, and that just can't be allowed to happen.

Sophia
Apr 16, 2003

thrawn527 posted:

River is the bomb

Edit: Also Irish Joe you should have posted a picture of Donna :colbert:. RIP Donna.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I just catch up on Doctor Who in bursts and don't take it too seriously. I just caught up on the entire run of the latest companion for the Anniversary special. Its just not a show I can imagine really getting all that fired up about one way or another, especially since I thought they bumbled the one story that I really got invested in (Amy's kid). It's just a sometimes fun, sometimes goofy, sometimes dark, sometimes touching show to watch from time to time.

Of course the odd/short scheduling helps me lose interest or focus on it too. I completely zoned out after the Ponds died and didn't even really think of the show again until the Anniversary hype.

I like River (character wise if not story wise) but she grated on me sometimes. But I don't think that was her fault. I just think two Doctors at once can get grating. When Who is working best I think its because the Doctor is being ridiculous and his companions are playing off it well. Two Doctors flirting is fun for awhile but has a limit.

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Dec 17, 2013

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

And finally the Dr Who backlash begins.

It's about bloody time.

BrooklynBruiser
Aug 20, 2006

STAC Goat posted:

Of course the odd/short scheduling helps me lose interest or focus on it too. I completely zoned out after the Ponds died and didn't even really think of the show again until the Anniversary hype.

This, I think, is what PriorMarcus was talking about - As great a writer as Steven Moffat is, he sucks at the actual making-the-show part of being a showrunner, hence the odd/short scheduling and budget issues.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

STAC Goat posted:

I just catch up on Doctor Who in bursts and don't take it too seriously. I just caught up on the entire run of the latest companion for the Anniversary special. Its just not a show I can imagine really getting all that fired up about one way or another, especially since I thought they bumbled the one story that I really got invested in (Amy's kid). It's just a sometimes fun, sometimes goofy, sometimes dark, sometimes touching show to watch from time to time.

I'm the exact same way. I forget about Who for like a year and a half then go back and catch up over a weekend and then kind of forget about it again until something big comes up. It has plenty of problems and is unbearably goofy/dumb/nonsensical at times, but it can also just be a really fun way to waste an hour or two.

And I didn't mind River that much, but it's not really that hard to see why a smug character who constantly taunts the viewers with the fact that she knows exactly what's going to happen isn't everyone's favorite.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

BrooklynBruiser posted:

This, I think, is what PriorMarcus was talking about - As great a writer as Steven Moffat is, he sucks at the actual making-the-show part of being a showrunner, hence the odd/short scheduling and budget issues.

Oh see, I just thought the schedules and short runs was a English TV thing. Every English show I've watched seems to produce six episodes a year. I went through the same thing with Being Human. Caring about it between seasons was just too much effort for too little payoff. I'll catch up with it in a year or so when there's enough episodes to warrant a marathon.

BrooklynBruiser
Aug 20, 2006

STAC Goat posted:

Oh see, I just thought the schedules and short runs was a English TV thing. Every English show I've watched seems to produce six episodes a year. I went through the same thing with Being Human. Caring about it between seasons was just too much effort for too little payoff. I'll catch up with it in a year or so when there's enough episodes to warrant a marathon.

For Doctors 9 and 10, with the exception of 10's year of specials, they did 13 episodes a year in a block starting in the spring. They also did this for 11's first season, then they split Season 6 a bit for monetary reasons iirc, and it's just gotten worse with the splits since. Thankfully, apparently Season 8 is going to be a 13-episode block airing starting in Autumn of 2014. (Which is still a loving infuriatingly long wait.)

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

zoux posted:

No it has to have a hint of believability about it to work. It's like yall have never read an Irish Joe post in your lives.

I have Joe on ignore.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

I have Joe on ignore.

He's unironically the best thing about this thread.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

I have Joe on ignore.

You have chosen poorly.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine
Joe owns

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Mod Joe, burn local news to the ground.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TM8L7bdwVaA

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

BrooklynBruiser posted:

For Doctors 9 and 10, with the exception of 10's year of specials, they did 13 episodes a year in a block starting in the spring. They also did this for 11's first season, then they split Season 6 a bit for monetary reasons iirc, and it's just gotten worse with the splits since. Thankfully, apparently Season 8 is going to be a 13-episode block airing starting in Autumn of 2014. (Which is still a loving infuriatingly long wait.)

Ahh, see I marathoned 9 and 10 after 11 was already in the mix. My first "live" episode was "Let's Kill Hitler" which I had to wait a bit for. So apparently I just had bad timing and came in when the schedule got choppy and I assumed it had always been that way (especially since those 10 specials seemed really odd schedule wise).

But yeah, see? I'll watch the Christmas episode probably because I'm still a little zoned in from the Anniversary catch up but if the show isn't returning until next fall then it will be a small miracle if I'm actually focused enough to care.

Idran
Jan 13, 2005
Grimey Drawer

zoux posted:

Mod Joe, burn local news to the ground.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TM8L7bdwVaA

Honestly the only problem I see with that is they don't say it's a wire piece; otherwise it's no different than a local newspaper running wire pieces with an AP (or whatever service) byline alongside actual local reporting.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Idran posted:

Honestly the only problem I see with that is they don't say it's a wire piece; otherwise it's no different than a local newspaper running wire pieces with an AP (or whatever service) byline alongside actual local reporting.

I always rewrote wire pieces for this exact reason.

Idran
Jan 13, 2005
Grimey Drawer

zoux posted:

I always rewrote wire pieces for this exact reason.

For print or televised, you mean?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Radio.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah, I worked radio and print. Just give that stuff a quick rewrite. I don't think that clip should incite outrage over plagiarism, just laughter at the lack of effort.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I'm sure the staff from The Newsroom never ran that piece.

Celery Jello
Mar 21, 2005
Slippery Tilde

Mu Zeta posted:

I'm sure the staff from The Newsroom never ran that piece.

Nah, the staff from the Newsroom would've been outraged that people were buying Christmas gifts when that meant they weren't focusing on bringing down the Republican establishment using only grit and pluckiness.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
In Sorkin's world the wire doesn't really exist. Rather, presenters like Will are out on the ground chasing the big story (and slipping on banana peels if they have a vagina), instead of being glorified chatshow hosts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011

STAC Goat posted:

Oh see, I just thought the schedules and short runs was a English TV thing.

6-8 episodes a year is typical purely because there's so little money (longer runs per year need larger casts and those cost $$$ - or £££ in this case - but the way the production crew on Who has changed completely several times over since Phil Collinson left is unusual to say the least (also the way that Caroline Skinner was fired was so loud and so public that it was impossible to cover up)

• Locked thread