Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Meander
Apr 1, 2010

slam5000 posted:

It's even possible that some of them might have been infected a long time ago, when they were first put on the island, considering that many diseases (once again, rabies included) that have effects on the central nervous system tend to have long incubation periods. In this case, they've been on the island just under 2 months considering we're on our 77th update now, and occasionally a day will take more than a single update. This coincidentally exactly matches the incubation period of rabies. "it usually lasts about one to two months"

I think it's only been a week or so for the characters - they discovered the Monobomb within a day or two of arrival, and at that point the countdown said 21 days. I think at the end of Peko's trial it was at 15.

But it could always have a shorter incubation period - some viruses are only a couple of days I think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Akett
Aug 6, 2012

slam5000 posted:

In this case, they've been on the island just under 2 months considering we're on our 77th update now, and occasionally a day will take more than a single update.

Your time frame makes no sense, there are usually four days per chapter, one day to set things up, two more to move it along, each with two free time events, and the fourth day has the murder and trial. I might be missing a few days, but it would have to be very charitable to say they've been on the island for more than two weeks, to say nothing of two months. Your mistake here is in your assumption that most days only take an update, when the case is that even the shortest days take up two updates and the longest days, the ones with the murder, take up over half the chapter.

Other than that you make a decent case.

E: ^^^Huh, I forgot about the Monobomb.

Akett fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Dec 17, 2013

Montegoraon
Aug 22, 2013
The rabies angle is interesting. Even feasible. But it still feels really artificial, the way three people became symptomatic on the same day.

But if Komaeda were feeling himself, he'd probably say that this is just another challenge they have to struggle through and overcome, and be stronger on the other side. Because Hope. And in the end, isn't that what the story's really all about?

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

While we're wildly speculating, could this be what caused Monoworld? Maybe the SHSL biologist guy is on Team Despair and made it.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.
I'm disappointed we went from a motive that gave us a glimpse into what was going on before the whole murder game started to a weird despair disease. Other than that, I can't say I'm bothered. Maybe this will end up revealing something interesting anyway, who knows?

Arsonist Daria fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Dec 17, 2013

Gally
May 31, 2001

Come on!
This poo poo is hilarious, y'all are just over thinking it way too much. Enjoy the ride.

slam5000
Aug 19, 2012

Akett posted:

Your time frame makes no sense, there are usually four days per chapter, one day to set things up, two more to move it along, each with two free time events, and the fourth day has the murder and trial. I might be missing a few days, but it would have to be very charitable to say they've been on the island for more than two weeks, to say nothing of two months. Your mistake here is in your assumption that most days only take an update, when the case is that even the shortest days take up two updates and the longest days, the ones with the murder, take up over half the chapter.

Other than that you make a decent case.

E: ^^^Huh, I forgot about the Monobomb.

Woops, you all are right about the time frame mistake, that's my bad. For some reason my mind told me something along the lines of 1 day per update because that's often how free time works, but I suppose that was a huge overestimate. I guess this disease could just have a shorter incubation period. Who knows :iiam:

E:

Gally posted:

This poo poo is hilarious, y'all are just over thinking it way too much. Enjoy the ride.

Of course, but that's part of the fun in it! The writers clearly aren't idiots, and they love playing mind games with us, so I find it interesting to try and figure out what they're up too by looking carefully at stuff...

AKA I'm trying to justify listening to the small child in me screaming: "THIS IS YOUR ONLY OPPORTUNITY TO BE A DETECTIVE, LIKE THE ONES IN THE COOL BOOKS YOU READ, EVER! NOW DO IT OR IMA GO THROW A FIT"

slam5000 fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Dec 17, 2013

EdgeryWorthy
Oct 5, 2012

So what's your type? You're a herbivore guy, so do you prefer a carnivore girl?

Happy Landfill posted:

You could always, you know, wait to see how everything plays out before judging fully :geno:

You know how much this thread loves its kneejerk reactions! Remember when everyone got outraged and complained about Peko being Kirakira? I'm sure everyone will change their tune once the chapter progresses a little.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
The despair fever stuff is a bit unusual, but it's not all that crazy. Sure, Monobear is taking a more active role in pushing a murder, but that says something about the current mastermind. Whatever their motive is, it doesn't appear to be the same one as in the first game. There's no proven point in forcing a kid to murder someone by changing their personality, so the real question isn't "Why is the game going nuts?" but "What is the mastermind after?"

Blueberry Pancakes fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Dec 17, 2013

GrizzlyCow
May 30, 2011
Why is this thread in so much of a hurry to proclaim everything bad? This looks like a potentially interesting development to me. It's certainly better than everyone feeling about Nidai taking a rocket to the chest.

Bikindok posted:

The fact that this is probably how they're going to do it annoys me more than it should given how ridiculous some of this stuff has been already. I mean, Nidai just took a loving rocket to the chest and isn't dead yet. But still, you don't get to do something like this in a mystery story and then never explain it ever, that just feels cheap.

Speaking of Nidai, the guy is kind of a wimp. One rocket is enough to take him out.

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

GrizzlyCow posted:

Why is this thread in so much of a hurry to proclaim everything bad? This looks like a potentially interesting development to me.

I didn't say it was bad, I said it was stupid. And it is, and also exciting. I have no idea what's going to happen! There are whole universes of complete madness ahead of us. :sparkles:

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
I think the fear of getting infected could also be a motive for this chapter. Anyone who has contracted the despair fever could easily be a victim and the killer one of the "clean" students. The group dynamic has already deteriorated and outside of Nanami and maybe Mikan (who isn't faring too well as of recent :ohdear:) nobody is trying to get people to trust each other.

Is there any reason why three people exhibit symptoms of the disease within the same timeframe? We still don't know if/when each of them were infected and what factors cause the virus to show symptoms now rather than earlier. Although it could easily be a case of "fantasy virus" and it operates on its own terms.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.
I'd be shocked and, frankly, a bit impressed by the game if all this virology talk is relevant.

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

Brought To You By posted:

I think the fear of getting infected could also be a motive for this chapter. Anyone who has contracted the despair fever could easily be a victim and the killer one of the "clean" students. The group dynamic has already deteriorated and outside of Nanami and maybe Mikan (who isn't faring too well as of recent :ohdear:) nobody is trying to get people to trust each other.

Given all the horror movie allusions/references we've seen so far this chapter, I'd say it's fairly likely that the story will go down this route.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!
I wonder if Sonia gets infected, does she turn into Anime Bloody Mary?

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
Hinata gets infected, and the player has to plan and act out the next murder. :getin:

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

OK, this "depair fever" incident is definitive proof that the controller of this Monobear has a radically different agenda from Junko back in DR 1. Whereas her Monobear was all about showing how the "bastions of hope" that the SHSL students were could be driven to despair, this Monobear does a couple of somewhat halfhearted manipulation motives and now all of a sudden "MIND VIRUS!". The main question is, if he's willing to use such direct methods to have them all kill themselves, why doesn't he just blow up the island or something? It must have something to do with Monomi's limited control.

Might as well say it: the change in methods coupled with people's reactions to this clearly make DR2 Monobear the Costas Mandylor to DR1 Monobear's Tobin Bell. :v:

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

So, what are the chances that the screening might have infected Komaeda:

orenronen posted:

I was so sure it was going to be the next motive, but it wasn't anything like that. I'm disappointed on so many levels...
If I could've paid money to avoid this experience, I would've gladly done so...

That whole segment seems kind of pointless if they never do anything with it.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Overflight posted:

Whereas her Monobear was all about showing how the "bastions of hope" that the SHSL students were could be driven to despair, this Monobear does a couple of somewhat halfhearted manipulation motives and now all of a sudden "MIND VIRUS!".

I dunno if I'd call programming an entire video game "half-hearted"

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

Overflight posted:

OK, this "depair fever" incident is definitive proof that the controller of this Monobear has a radically different agenda from Junko back in DR 1. Whereas her Monobear was all about showing how the "bastions of hope" that the SHSL students were could be driven to despair, this Monobear does a couple of somewhat halfhearted manipulation motives and now all of a sudden "MIND VIRUS!". The main question is, if he's willing to use such direct methods to have them all kill themselves, why doesn't he just blow up the island or something? It must have something to do with Monomi's limited control.

Might as well say it: the change in methods coupled with people's reactions to this clearly make DR2 Monobear the Costas Mandylor to DR1 Monobear's Tobin Bell. :v:

I've actually been thinking about something along these lines. Or, at least, that is to say along the lines of Monobear's behavior being a bit different than it was under (what we know to be) Junko's control in DR1. I haven't said anything because it seems a bit crackpot, but I don't think I've seen anyone else bring it up (though I've only really skimmed between updates, for the most part).

Namely, I'm wondering if the entire game isn't an inversion of our expectations based on the first one. In the first game you had SHSL Despair trying to beat down what amounted to SHSL Hope in the form of that class of students. So what if this game is SHSL Hope, maybe even Naegi directly, having caught a bunch of SHSL Despair members to punish? I definitely buy that this is all virtual reality, so it's very possible nobody has actually died and the point is instead to basically wipe the memories of a batch of SHSL Despair and mold them through a mirror of the events of the first game into more SHSL Hope soldiers to retake Monoworld. Tying into this a bit is my theory that Komaeda doesn't have "Lying Fever" but "Truth Fever" and Monobear was (poorly) trying to throw people off actually listening to the poo poo he was saying. Going a bit further, it might even explain Togami's presence. Naegi (or whatever representative of SHSL Hope is in charge) wouldn't want to risk the game going to poo poo so he put Togami in to try and guide them to the intended outcome. It could even be, as the thread suggested way back, that Komaeda is Naegi which might be how he'd know Togami is still alive (outside of the simulation) and Monobear is just an AI and made up the "Lying Fever" excuse to try and cover the slip.

I don't know, like I said, it's pretty crackpot and typing it out like that just makes it sound more like bullshit than it did in my head but it feels like it lines up with a few things. Then again the whole thing is pretty heavily based on it being VR, and if that isn't true then the rest of it crumbles pretty quick.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

The fever is going to expose some fact that becomes the motive. Like how the yakuza found out his sister was murdered in the before times, someone being flipped, personality wise, is going to tip their hand and expose something that gets them murdered when someone finds something out about it. After the fever breaks because I don't know that it would even be satisfactory to have someone murdered or murder not in their right mind at the time.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Overflight posted:

The main question is, if he's willing to use such direct methods to have them all kill themselves, why doesn't he just blow up the island or something?
Monomi's been saying he can't do anything fatalistic to the students unless they do something that violates the rules.

Unless you mean why Monobear didn't just blow up the islands instead of taking over Monomi's role.

Crawfish
Dec 11, 2012

Speaking of the bomb, why does everyone think it's a bomb again?

I mean it sounds like a bomb and looks like what a bomb could be, but if you sit back and look at the sort of gaming we're watching someone else play here, it in no way has to be a bomb.

If it even is a bomb, they are being surprisingly calm over it, as I can't remember it showing up alot outside of it's introduction and the characters subsequently deciding it totally has to be a bomb. Just because.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Crawfish posted:

Mostly because it looks like a big fuckin' bomb.

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

No matter what happens because of this fever or how dumb it ends up looking in the end, I just love this bit with Komaeda. What he really has is the LP speculation disease.

slam5000
Aug 19, 2012

Crawfish posted:

I mean it sounds like a bomb and looks like what a bomb could be, but if you sit back and look at the sort of gaming we're watching someone else play here, it in no way has to be a bomb.

If it even is a bomb, they are being surprisingly calm over it, as I can't remember it showing up alot outside of it's introduction and the characters subsequently deciding it totally has to be a bomb. Just because.

I wouldn't say we think it's a bomb again, It's just that it looks like a bomb, and everyone knows what you mean when you say "The bomb". I'm pretty sure no one wants to say: "That black circle-y thing in the center of the islands that looks kinda like a bomb and has a countdown on it, but still could be something else" every time they want to refer to the bomb.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

slam5000 posted:

I wouldn't say we think it's a bomb again, It's just that it looks like a bomb, and everyone knows what you mean when you say "The bomb". I'm pretty sure no one wants to say: "That black circle-y thing in the center of the islands that looks kinda like a bomb and has a countdown on it, but still could be something else" every time they want to refer to the bomb.

I agree with this. There's every reason to think the game's going to fake us out on it, but as long as the game wants us to think it's a bomb (and it clearly does), we might as well call it the 'bomb.'

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender

Crawfish posted:

They actually decided that it probably wasn't a bomb. At the time, I didn't think it was a bomb either, because the point of the first game was that the students killed of their own accord, and a bomb would be coercion. But recent developments definitely seem to indicate that this Monobear doesn't care that much, so who knows. I still don't think it's a bomb, though. My best guess is that it's counting down until the time-lock on the school-ruin opens.

Crawfish
Dec 11, 2012

slam5000 posted:

"That black circle-y thing in the center of the islands that looks kinda like a bomb and has a countdown on it, but still could be something else"

Personally, I would be all for calling it this, but that's neither here nor there.

Van Dine
Apr 17, 2013

Overflight posted:

OK, this "depair fever" incident is definitive proof that the controller of this Monobear has a radically different agenda from Junko back in DR 1. Whereas her Monobear was all about showing how the "bastions of hope" that the SHSL students were could be driven to despair, this Monobear does a couple of somewhat halfhearted manipulation motives and now all of a sudden "MIND VIRUS!".

While I'm by no means convinced that DR2 Monobear has the same agenda as DR1 Junko - if I had to guess right now it would just be that he wants the kids to despair and that there may well be no TV audience he has to follow the rules strictly for the sake of - I'd say that Despair Fever isn't definitive proof of a radically different agenda, because even if it's a motive, it might be one aimed at whichever kids don't end up infected. They would still be in their right minds, insofar as anyone in a murder game like this one could be.

It's not a bad motive. There had been some signs of unity among the group, despite what was going on with Nidai and Akane, but by making some of them have a drastic shift, Monobear can further destabilise the situation. The infected kids might seem softer targets, or greater threats, to the uninfected ones, and the uninfected ones could worry that if they get infected themselves they'll become soft targets. If somebody really wanted to, they could even fake an infection. After the video game in the previous chapter, where something that looked like a general motive turned out to be more specific, I wouldn't put it past Monobear to be targeting a specific person this time too.

But if it turns out that Monobear really does want an infected kid to commit a murder, that would be absolute proof of a different agenda.

Worthleast
Nov 25, 2012

Possibly the only speedboat jumps I've planned

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

My best guess is that it's counting down until the time-lock on the school-ruin opens.

I am still absolutely stumped by the school ruin. It's too important to be given such a pass as it has.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

I feel like this is taking the idea more seriously than I should, but it's not unheard of for parasitic organisms to influence the host's behavior. There's the Cordyceps fungus and toxoplasmosis, for example. High fevers have also been known to cause hallucinations. And that's before we get into all the fun (terrifying) poo poo that can go wrong with your brain without foreign influence. Don't get me wrong, it's still a weird loving direction for the story to take. 'Despair Fever' isn't as far beyond the pale as people seem to think, but the name makes it real drat hard to take seriously.

Alternate theory: the remainder of the game is a hallucination produced by Hinata's dying brain, after he's impaled during the failed assassination attempt on the Sorceress Beatrice at the end of Disc One. :v:

Lethemonster
Aug 5, 2009

I was hiding under your bench because I don't want to work out
I have to be honest the game has lost me now. I've found it's been dragging a bit from the beginning and missing a lot of the punch the first game had, but now I'm really unfussed about seeing a new update.

I should note this is not in anyway because of the translation or lp work, it's still top notch. I feel even playing the game first hand I'd be pretty 'meh'.

Is this a lull in the game, and it will improve alot, or if someone isn't enjoying it are they unlikely to enjoy it more if it goes on? I don't know whether to stick it out a bit more or just read up on it and finish it off that way.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine
Jesus somebody had better die next update. It's been what, 30 since the last murder?

OmegaGoo
Nov 25, 2011

Mediocrity: the standard of survival!
I honestly didn't think Nagito could get more entertaining, and yet here he is. Even though he's pretty batshit, I'm pretty sure he's my favorite character. I have a soft spot for cunning arses, and Nagito fits the bill.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Austrian mook posted:

Jesus somebody had better die next update. It's been what, 30 since the last murder?

12 updates since the start of the chapter. It took 14 in Chapter 2 for the murder, so I'm guessing it'll be this game day or the next.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

Austrian mook posted:

If we're counting every update since Koizumi died it's been 26.

Edit: This chapter's been way more eventful than the first game's Chapter 3 though so I find myself much more cool with it.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

alcharagia posted:

If we're counting every update since Koizumi died it's been 26.

Edit: This chapter's been way more eventful than the first game's Chapter 3 though so I find myself much more cool with it.

It's weird, I have really fond memories of the first game and yet I only really fondly remember chapter 2 and 4 fondly. I think it's because I just read the updates and missed a lot of this waiting bullshit. It's like Walking Dead syndrome.

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

ApplesandOranges posted:

12 updates since the start of the chapter. It took 14 in Chapter 2 for the murder, so I'm guessing it'll be this game day or the next.

The motive usually gets introduced at around the halfway point of the "abnormal days" section, though. I suspect we've still got a few updates ahead of us before we get our murder.

Austrian mook posted:

It's like Walking Dead syndrome.

Considering that we're now dealing with a strange infection that could potentially turn people into killers, that's a particularly apt comparison.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
Question. What makes this game "super" in comparison to the original?

• Locked thread