Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

MrDude posted:

Oh! Oh! Maybe future robots are powered by nuclear energy, and radiation, messes up the... plutonium or whatever.

Speaking of lore, is the "no cats in the future" title of the Warframe forums' lore thread a reference to something? I'd ask in that thread but I'm scared of forums that aren't SA

Pretty sure it's DE's way of telling the furries demanding a furframe to gently caress of.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Male Man
Aug 16, 2008

Im, too sexy for your teatime
Too sexy for your teatime
That tea that you're just driiinkiing

Sandweed posted:

Pretty sure it's DE's way of telling the furries demanding a furframe to gently caress of.

Weren't early concepts of Valkyr digitigrade?

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

Are there seriously people demanding a furry frame?

How the hell would you even fit a furry frame into the game?

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
Wrong thread.

amuayse fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Dec 17, 2013

Washin Tong
Feb 16, 2011

amuayse posted:

Lots of things are pretty effective against undead, although demons are a bit tougher. Cleansing Water, Solar Rays/Brilliance, fire in general, Wither Bones, and obviously banishment. I wouldn't suggest using ice or poison though. For a thug, the typical fire brand+charcoal+any decent armor (lots of them have magic weapons so don't use ethereal cloak) is pretty standard and not too hard to make. Fear and Awe are obviously kind of useless against them, so that means you have a free helmet slot for something. How would trampling work though?

Rhino is a very solid Warframe, so go for it.

Doji Sekushi
Dec 26, 2006

HI
Hey glorious PC master race, did Void missions get hosed for you after update 11 hit? On PS4, most notably on Void mobile defense and void captures, framerate starts at poo poo and ends at a nigh-unplayable slideshow. We end up trying one and swearing off them forever because it is a terrible unfun slog trying to not die against high-level heavy gunners when you're getting like 5 fps.

We're thinking it's because of the new reflections and shadows that they added u11, but who knows considering DE's particular brand of wizardry.

Did you PC guys have this problem, and is it fixed yet?

Also, Vauban. My poor poor Vauban. It is my hands down favorite frame but they recently buffed Vortex with a chance to make someone's game crash, I don't agree with this design decision and I hope they fix it. Also, our grenades are wonky, my Bastille doesn't quite go exactly where I want it anymore, the sphere bounces off surfaces at random before it sticks. Annoying but not as awful as the issue with Vortex.

Serpentis
May 31, 2011

Well, if I really HAVE to shoot you in the bollocks to shut you up, then I guess I'll need to, post-haste, for everyone else's sake.
So anyone know if the update bringing the jungle Earth maps and new Hek is coming out tomorrow or the Wednesday after?

Male Man
Aug 16, 2008

Serpentis posted:

So anyone know if the update bringing the jungle Earth maps and new Hek is coming out tomorrow or the Wednesday after?

I think they said this week in the livestream. Don't know if they're still on schedule.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

Doji Sekushi posted:

Hey glorious PC master race, did Void missions get hosed for you after update 11 hit? On PS4, most notably on Void mobile defense and void captures, framerate starts at poo poo and ends at a nigh-unplayable slideshow. We end up trying one and swearing off them forever because it is a terrible unfun slog trying to not die against high-level heavy gunners when you're getting like 5 fps.

We're thinking it's because of the new reflections and shadows that they added u11, but who knows considering DE's particular brand of wizardry.

Did you PC guys have this problem, and is it fixed yet?

Also, Vauban. My poor poor Vauban. It is my hands down favorite frame but they recently buffed Vortex with a chance to make someone's game crash, I don't agree with this design decision and I hope they fix it. Also, our grenades are wonky, my Bastille doesn't quite go exactly where I want it anymore, the sphere bounces off surfaces at random before it sticks. Annoying but not as awful as the issue with Vortex.

The PC game received several patches in quick succession after U11 hit. So, maybe? I'm not having any of the problems you described, sorry buddy.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Male Man posted:

I think they said this week in the livestream. Don't know if they're still on schedule.

Christ I don't know how they update this fast. I'm actually impressed the game isn't more broken than it is :psyduck:

AndroidHub
Feb 28, 2007

I've seen some stuff that would really make you say "like what?"

Gestalt Intellect posted:

Christ I don't know how they update this fast. I'm actually impressed the game isn't more broken than it is :psyduck:

You're joking, right? DE takes it's sweet time doing just about everything, just because they are releasing a bunch of stuff close together doesn't mean they haven't been working on it for ages. They have been talking about the new hud since July, and I'm pretty sure it's based on a concept posted by a forums user some time back in April/May. And the same goes for just about everything else they talked about on the livestream, all of the grineer bosses besides Kril, Vor, and now Ruk are literally recolored placeholders that have been there for a year or longer (and Vor and Kril do double duty as the bosses of phobos). Alad V and Derelict Golem the only non-grineer bosses that aren't recolors/resizes of other enemies, and I do include jackal and hyena, because they use the same model which has been around since the early development of dark sector. The only thing I can't guarantee we haven't been promised for the better part of a year is the new frame, but the track record for new frames lately hasn't been too good.

I don't mean to sound super salty about this, but everything they added or changed for the better for update 11 has seemingly been reverted, or changed to be worse than it was before. Pre-damage 2.0 there were at least weapons that had the potential to be good all-around and could deal with scaled up heavies, now heavies (and grineer in general) are more durable than ever. Stalker in a solo mission is usually either a restart or revive now, unless you are specifically built for tanking damage (every frame damage reductions/avoidance ability besides bless and absorb is ignored by stalker now, including invisibility and iron skin) and he can oneshot most frames through a fully leveled redirection if that's all they have on.

And we still haven't heard any news about the remakes of the other really terrible mission types that are pretty much only ever played as alerts or to unlock other nodes (rescue, spy, and deception).

It is nice to know that the reason the UI is finally getting improved is because of a new hire that apparently knows what he is doing though.

sleeptalker
Feb 17, 2011

They're working their way through the placeholder bosses (new Ruk, Golem's gone, new Vay Hek coming), it's not too hard to avoid getting hit by the Stalker's attacks if you stay mobile, and pre-U11 the only weapon without an armor ignoring damage type that was really viable against high level enemies was the Soma. Meanwhile the weakness/resistance table has changed 4 times recently, there's a bunch of new level tiles appearing in the invasion missions (and sometimes normal levels), they're releasing at least one new weapon a week, and for the first time (as far as I know) a new frame is being released in a non-major update. Warframe has problems, but a slow development pace is not one of them.

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

I've seen fun you people wouldn't believe.
Tiki torches on fire off the summit of Kilauea.
I watched disco balls glitter in the dark near the Brandenburg Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like crowds in rain.

Time to sleep.
Plat is on sale on PSN right now. I think it's 25% off, 75 is $3.74, 170 is $7.49, and 370 is $14.99, don't remember what the prices are usually asides from 75 being like $5. Link to PS4 deals for the lazy.

Clocks
Oct 2, 2007

Yeah, while you can definitely say they are focusing on the wrong things, that doesn't mean there's a lack of updates.

Earlier on there was a discussion on whether this game is worth playing despite the bad reviews. The great thing is Warframe is free, and although I've definitely spent money on it, it was mostly on cosmetic stuff or extra slots. This also makes it great because I don't feel pressured to play it like I would a subscription MMO, and I can just put it down and pick it up months later to find a ton of new weapons, frames, tilesets, etc. For example, I stopped playing right around when they had the Nekros announcement devstream and when I came back a week or two ago there were 2 new frames (Nekros and Valkyr, along with a new mag prime and them updating mag to make her not suck), a bunch of new weapons, orokin derelicts, survival mode, and a bunch of other stuff.

That and the game runs surprisingly well and is fun to play, and if you're into collecting/maxing things out then you can definitely do that in this game as well.

That said, there are definitely still a ton of problems that I wish DE would work on. New UI would be nice. Balance issues - to this day, armor/damage/abilities are all out of wack and they don't seem interested in fixing this. Why do some warframes still have useless abilities no one takes? Why can some warframes blow whole rooms up while others struggle to damage two enemies (without much of an upside to make up for it)? And of course I'm not a newbie, but I had my bf make an account and aside from making the newbie area teach you how to wall-run and stuff, they still don't seem to teach you poo poo about how mods work or how to enhance your warframes/weapons.

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
For this game, I wouldn't mind a Steamshovel Harry-type intro, complete with an autotuned song teaching you how to use fusion cores and polarities.
Ninja times Space equals Tennoooo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=81tKjFvKnBs

amuayse fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Dec 17, 2013

fookolt
Mar 13, 2012

Where there is power
There is resistance
I have a Core i7 920 3.36GHz and a GTX770 and while the game usually runs at 100+ FPS at 1920x1080 when I'm just running around, I experience dramatic slowdown in the game, especially once there are lots of particle effects everywhere. Are there any video settings I should change to help with that?

AndroidHub
Feb 28, 2007

Clocks posted:

Yeah, while you can definitely say they are focusing on the wrong things, that doesn't mean there's a lack of updates.

Earlier on there was a discussion on whether this game is worth playing despite the bad reviews. The great thing is Warframe is free, and although I've definitely spent money on it, it was mostly on cosmetic stuff or extra slots. This also makes it great because I don't feel pressured to play it like I would a subscription MMO, and I can just put it down and pick it up months later to find a ton of new weapons, frames, tilesets, etc. For example, I stopped playing right around when they had the Nekros announcement devstream and when I came back a week or two ago there were 2 new frames (Nekros and Valkyr, along with a new mag prime and them updating mag to make her not suck), a bunch of new weapons, orokin derelicts, survival mode, and a bunch of other stuff.

If any of my friends asked my opinion on warframe today I would tell them to stay the hell away for at least a half a year, then ask again, the game is incredibly hostile early unless you're going to spend money, and even then it's full of pitfalls once you do spend money. If you play long enough or invest enough money you get to that nougaty center of the dry, rancid truffle that is warframe, but as of now (and as far as I can remember) the price of getting there is too high, be it in money or time spent. But even once you get to the nougaty center, it's really just the same nougat all the time and you will quickly grow tired of eating it over and over.

DE needs to take a long hard look at the plat pricing for frames and weapons, and prices of non-cash services like fusion in addition. The early game is harder than ever starting out since they reduced how many credits you can get from void missions and made it much harder to get those required mods without trading for them. DE may be adding things like frames and weapons, but there have been glaring problems right on the surface of the game that DE has ignored for far too long or even taken steps backwards on. Warframe is a bad game and deserves all of the bad reviews it has gotten, it has the potential to be good, but without much of any sense of direction it could be a long, long time until it gets there.

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

Imagine if dual weapons where actually two different weapons that you could mod individually.

fookolt
Mar 13, 2012

Where there is power
There is resistance
It would be super neat if you could actually see all the stats on the mods page for a weapon/warframe/sentinel/whatever (and even the page where you do mod fusion/transmutation) and watch what happens to the stats as you equip or change things.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

AndroidHub posted:

But even once you get to the nougaty center, it's really just the same nougat all the time and you will quickly grow tired of eating it over and over.

Are there any plans about giving the game some narrative or aim besides grinding components and weapons?

Regarding the new player experience, I know that without the OP I'd have taken a good look at the market page, said "gently caress it" and uninstalled the game. There's way too much stuff and options presented to you at once, but without any kind of easy to access information about it, is impossible to make a good decision without consulting external sources.

Clocks
Oct 2, 2007

AndroidHub posted:

If any of my friends asked my opinion on warframe today I would tell them to stay the hell away for at least a half a year, then ask again, the game is incredibly hostile early unless you're going to spend money, and even then it's full of pitfalls once you do spend money. If you play long enough or invest enough money you get to that nougaty center of the dry, rancid truffle that is warframe, but as of now (and as far as I can remember) the price of getting there is too high, be it in money or time spent. But even once you get to the nougaty center, it's really just the same nougat all the time and you will quickly grow tired of eating it over and over.

DE needs to take a long hard look at the plat pricing for frames and weapons, and prices of non-cash services like fusion in addition. The early game is harder than ever starting out since they reduced how many credits you can get from void missions and made it much harder to get those required mods without trading for them. DE may be adding things like frames and weapons, but there have been glaring problems right on the surface of the game that DE has ignored for far too long or even taken steps backwards on. Warframe is a bad game and deserves all of the bad reviews it has gotten, it has the potential to be good, but without much of any sense of direction it could be a long, long time until it gets there.

Sure, but I didn't say that all the responses about the negative aspects about the game were wrong or anything, so I am not sure why you quoted the positive aspect of my post to complain some more. I just happened to point out that at least it's free, so it's free to try out and attempt to get into (and free to leave for a few months and come back to as well).

I agree that DE should be focusing on improving the newbie experience and to just stop making confusing game design decisions in general, but that's on them to do. Luckily goons in this thread and in-game are willing to answer any questions people have, so if you ARE new and just started playing the game and don't get something, ask in clan chat or here for a better explanation.

AndroidHub
Feb 28, 2007

I quoted you because of the claim that it's free, a game isn't really free when you need to invest an inordinate amount of time to get to a point where it's actually enjoyable for what it is, I've played enough "free to play" games to know that as a fact, you're paying one way or another in most of them. The game is free, the fun parts of it are not.

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!
I keep saying they need to do some usability tests in an eyetracker lab and I hope their new UI designer makes that happen.

Fat Samurai posted:

Are there any plans about giving the game some narrative or aim besides grinding components and weapons?
They talked about more lore and narrative integrated into the game in streams before, beyond just the codex system, but I suspect their plans have been changed quite a lot by Warframe's sorta-success.

We were looking at a textdump from some game files which contain some older information on IRC, and it seems the game was originally meant to be about a much smaller-scale resistance. But in response to the actual playerbase, DE's been giving us big universe-altering open warfare events. I suspect that we're mostly going to see a "living universe" narrative driven by these big events, whereas discrete plot missions that are always the same for everyone (I suppose the Tutorial and Vor Assassination are the closest so far) won't be coming for a long time. If ever, at this point.

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC

AndroidHub posted:

As someone who recently just got started on PS4, I agree with you in general but disagree in degree. Yes, the new user experience is definite pretty boring and lots of things aren't explained well. If I went into it completely blind and didn't look up a few things online, I would have been pretty lost. And it does take too long to get to the part where you are building multiple frames/weapons and have plenty of variety. You should really get a new frame on Mercury and be given the resources to start building it. But once you get past that, the game gets significantly better pretty quickly.

I was still able to get rhino started building within a few days of casual playing. By the time he was done, I had two more frames building, a decent mod collection, more fun weapons, and things were much more fun. Over the next few weeks, I've been able to get a full mod collection and every frame complete or building but ember prime. Thanks to the trading post and starter plat, I got enough plat to buy anything I wanted relatively easily without spending a dime: slots for all my frames, 10ish extra weapon slots, reactors and catalysts, color packs, sentinel packs, and some scarfs. If I was on PC, I probably would have bought some plat (assuming I got one of the discount daily rewards) but no discounts on PS4 so I just depended on fleecing the ignorant masses for plat.

Harrower
Nov 30, 2002
Why being a new player sucks and is borderline unplayable:

Maybe you get a fast (under 3 hours of game time) serration/point blank/hornet strike, and maybe you don't.

That's pretty much it. There isn't really a good reason why they don't hand you those three mods in the first couple missions.

ThePhenomenalBaby
May 3, 2011
There really isn't a good reason why your weapon damage doesn't scale linearly, so those mods don't have to exist.

The Grammar Aryan
Apr 22, 2008
Having a ridiculously low chance to get some mods is just murder. Trading should help, but chances are you're just going to get gouged by pubbies as a new player. I've got nearly 200 hours logged, and only just this morning got my first Tactical Pump mod. Why did it take so long? It would have made leveling my Sobek so much less painful.

Dilkington
Aug 6, 2010

"Al mio amore Dilkington, Gennaro"
How do you navigate the PS4 chat menu? Do you really have to scroll through a list of every player in the world? Right now, I'm typing in each name individually, sending a friend request, then inviting from my friends list.

edit: Plugged in a usb keyboard. All of the slash commands from the pc version work for the PS4

Dilkington fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Dec 18, 2013

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC

Dilkington posted:

How do you navigate the PS4 chat menu? Do you really have to scroll through a list of every player in the world? Right now, I'm typing in each name individually, sending a friend request, then inviting from my friends list.

edit: Plugged in a usb keyboard. All of the slash commands from the pc version work for the PS4

Yeah, navigated the chat without a keyboard is loving painful. They really need a page down button or something.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
How is Ash? He seems like he'd be awesome, but all the downing on melee makes me wonder.

I've decided to just say gently caress it and start from scratch on PS4... might not go Excalibur this time and instead try out Loki or Volt... which is easier to level quickly to the point here I can farm up another frame, because none of the three starters particularly interest me?

AndroidHub
Feb 28, 2007

Fuzz posted:

How is Ash? He seems like he'd be awesome, but all the downing on melee makes me wonder.

I've decided to just say gently caress it and start from scratch on PS4... might not go Excalibur this time and instead try out Loki or Volt... which is easier to level quickly to the point here I can farm up another frame, because none of the three starters particularly interest me?

Unless you are out of other frames to get, don't get him, he is possibly the worst frame after valkyr, everything he does is done by other frames and with more synergy, Loki has a better teleport and invis, the shuriken are just a basic nuke, and his ult isn't really worth slotting. He is maybe alright if you just don't like Loki but want a stealth frame to solo/scan with(though Loki is one of the best frames in the game). To make him better they need to make his shuriken more unique/useful, make his teleport useful in some way (making it just move you a certain distance in direction you're aiming would probably do the trick). And either completely change his ult or make it complete a hell of a lot faster once cast. Every skill he has is lackluster and none of them contribute to a group in any meaningful way.

The Grammar Aryan
Apr 22, 2008
Loki's Radial Disarm is officially one of my favorite ults in the game. On top of completely neutering Grineer heavies, if you use it on a Moa, it just jams a shock stick into the top of their head! Pair that with the fact that everyone now hates you for stealing their guns, they clump up beautifully for a Penta strike.

Gazaar
Mar 23, 2005

.txt

Fuzz posted:

Ash is fun if you like fun stuff. Ignore people having seizures over one frame or another's usefulness in the easiest game that has ever existed.

Male Man
Aug 16, 2008

Fuzz posted:

Ash is a weird grab bag of things other frames can do better. Shuriken used to be alright for being spammable and dealing decent armor-ignoring damage, but that's no longer a thing with Damage 2.0, so it's just kinda poo poo. Teleport ranges from being near-useless to actively harmful, Smoke Bomb's alright but Loki's Invisibility does the same job better, Blade Storm is just like other room-clearing ultimates but it's super slow and has a target limit.

Smoke Bomb is Ash's only power that cares about melee (being invisible doubles your melee damage) but you can still use it with guns just fine. You don't get a damage bonus, but being able to line up shots without worrying about avoiding incoming fire is nice.

On the whole, Ash is kinda frustrating because none of his powers compare favorably to just shooting dudes in the face with a gun. I mean, you could throw shuriken, but what would that accomplish that throwing kunai doesn't? Yeah, you've got Blade Storm. See you in 30 seconds. It's not that he's not as efficient as the other frames, it's that everything Ash in particular does is slower than your normal murder tricks.

Volt's not a starter, by the way. Mag is. Mag is one of the more powerful frames overall, thanks to Pull being a cheap gently caress-you-and-all-your-friends-and-also-those-guys-over-there power.

If none of the starters interest you, what are you looking for in a frame?

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
Doesn't Bladestorm make you completely invincible during it's duration and last long enough for your shields to get back to full?

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

7c Nickel posted:

Doesn't Bladestorm make you completely invincible during it's duration and last long enough for your shields to get back to full?

Yup. Bladestorm and Smoke Bombs are great panic buttons.

Crowbear
Jun 17, 2009

You freak me out, man!
:siren: Orokin Catalyst blueprint alert on Monolith - Phobos for PS4 :siren: 75 minutes to go.

Also Alad V is up on Jupiter if you want to farm up Valkyr.

Crowbear fucked around with this message at 05:52 on Dec 18, 2013

SteveMcQueen
Jun 16, 2005

Is there any reason to keep lovely old weapons that I've gotten to level 30? The Mk-1 Braton for instance?

No potatoes - thanks! I'll ditch it.

SteveMcQueen fucked around with this message at 06:09 on Dec 18, 2013

Shalebridge Cradle
Apr 23, 2008

SteveMcQueen posted:

Is there any reason to keep lovely old weapons that I've gotten to level 30? The Mk-1 Braton for instance?

None, sell it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

SteveMcQueen posted:

Not really, unless you've invested a potato in it for some reason and/or are hoping it one day becomes not crap (probably not gonna be the case with the starter weapons).