Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Apple Jax
May 19, 2008

IDIC 4 LYF

Vagabundo posted:

Andrew Robinson is rather plain. You can see him sans Cardassian make-up in Hellraiser, Dirty Harry and Cobra (the first two are worth watching on their own merits, the third is a great unintentional comedy).

Yeah he sure is plain. Just plain simple Andrew.

I'm disappointed he didn't get a part in "Far Beyond the Stars".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx
Star Trek: Goons trying to get symbiotic with Ezri.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Listen, if we're going to talk chicks in Trek, I'm going to start making you think less of me up in here.

SombreroAgnew
Sep 22, 2004

unlimited rice pudding

Hip-Hoptimus Rhyme posted:

Star Trek: Nicole de Boer hotness appreciation station
The Great Boer Trek

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Doctor Butts posted:

Listen, if we're going to talk chicks in Trek, I'm going to start making you think less of me up in here.

Don't worry, Doctor Butts, that's quite impossible.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

No I'm sure it can tank further.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Doctor Butts posted:

No I'm sure it can tank further.

Look if you're attracted to the actual Dax symbiote you can just say so and your wormy secret is safe with me.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

You know, I do find personality attractive, and that squirmy thing that they showed all of 3 minutes of had a hell of a lot more personality than Terry Farrell ever did.

No I was going to talk about how some Trek chicks were hotter than others, and then cap off the post with discussing how Troi's grey (purple? NTSC, who knows) outfit made her butt look horrible.

Writer Cath
Apr 1, 2007

Box. Flipped.
Plaster Town Cop

Farecoal posted:

I always thought she was the most boring character on DS9, although she was tied for Bashir for "worst acting" for a while.

I never thought he was that bad of an actor. In the first couple seasons he's youthful and idealistic and full of energy, like a puppy, or a kid away at summer camp. In contrast to the more experienced and jaded characters, his attitude would stick out naturally.

Yes, that episode where he got possessed was terrible, but I still argue that the character didn't have that much range yet, so the only place he could take it was over the top villain campy.

Apple Jax
May 19, 2008

IDIC 4 LYF

Doctor Butts posted:

No I was going to talk about how some Trek chicks were hotter than others, and then cap off the post with discussing how Troi's grey (purple? NTSC, who knows) outfit made her butt look horrible.

Well, who would know better about Troi's butt then Doctor Butts.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

So sexy.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

He has a Ph.D in Assology!

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010
They should have kept Kira in the uniform and hairdo from the pilot.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Jake is literally the worst character in the show, and his career aspirations seem completely anachronistic. gently caress, the whole idea of "journalism" is already becoming irrelevant/mutating into just another kind of entertainment.

Why am I going to want to read a "newspaper article" about some kid's interpretation the battle of Chinkota or the Siege of AR-558 or whatever when I can just experience it in the holodeck?

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
Shoulderpads are loving hot.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

He writes with a pen on a loving datapadd. His whole schtick is to be anachronistic. If Jake Sisko were a modern teen, he'd be a goddamn hipster. And probably a vocal vegan who thinks not even animals should eat meat, because it's so savage.

gettin :mad: about one vegan hipster I know in specific o'er here

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Apple Jax posted:

Yeah he sure is plain. Just plain simple Andrew.

I'm disappointed he didn't get a part in "Far Beyond the Stars".

It would suck you out of the show when you see him and you're like "isn't that the Scorpio killer?"

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

Otisburg posted:

Jake is literally the worst character in the show, and his career aspirations seem completely anachronistic. gently caress, the whole idea of "journalism" is already becoming irrelevant/mutating into just another kind of entertainment.

Why am I going to want to read a "newspaper article" about some kid's interpretation the battle of Chinkota or the Siege of AR-558 or whatever when I can just experience it in the holodeck?

A. The Federation is a mostly-utopia in the future, remember? They wouldn't be facing current problems that. Journalism would actually be journalism, and not entertainment.

B. The shows was made in the 1990s.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Writer Cath posted:

I never thought he was that bad of an actor. In the first couple seasons he's youthful and idealistic and full of energy, like a puppy, or a kid away at summer camp. In contrast to the more experienced and jaded characters, his attitude would stick out naturally.

Yes, that episode where he got possessed was terrible, but I still argue that the character didn't have that much range yet, so the only place he could take it was over the top villain campy.

Alexander Siddig hasn't exactly had the most prolific acting career but in a few of his films you can see that he definitely has tons of ability. He also deliberately under-acted in some of the seasons of DS9 where he was a genetic superman as a protest against the character direction.

Space Hamlet
Aug 24, 2009

not listening
not listening
Generations was the subject of lovely move night with the friends, and it occurred to me for the first time that the nexus could have been really awesome had it taken Picard back to his life from The Inner Light.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Kibayasu posted:

Alexander Siddig hasn't exactly had the most prolific acting career but in a few of his films you can see that he definitely has tons of ability. He also deliberately under-acted in some of the seasons of DS9 where he was a genetic superman as a protest against the character direction.

The ones where he played Data, right?

"We will be there in approximately three hours, seventeen minutes, forty-three seconds, 421 millisec—THIS IS HOW ROBOTS TALK AIGHT"

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.

Space Hamlet posted:

Generations was the subject of lovely move night with the friends, and it occurred to me for the first time that the nexus could have been really awesome had it taken Picard back to his life from The Inner Light.

No sorry Patrick Stewart is English so his dream family is in fact ripped straight out of Victorian England.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

jng2058 posted:

Trek's had sex in it starting with Pike boning a green skinned slave girl in the pilot.

Nobody ever boned a green-skinned woman in TOS.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

Nobody ever boned a green-skinned woman in TOS.

No, Chris Pike didn't actually whip it out on TV in 1963. But Vina was clearly trying to seduce him and by the end of "The Menagerie" his crippled self had joined her with the Talosians, and I doubt that all they did after that was play whist. Psychic boning is still boning. 99% of sex is in the mind, after all.

Also Garth of Izar was clearly boning Marta, and any thought otherwise is wishful thinking.

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010

Kibayasu posted:

It's a shame the writers didn't listen to him, they were always better off listening to the the casts' concerns.

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

Deepwater Black ... Forever Knight

Does this call for a 1990s Canadian basic cable high-five? :hf: Pretty sure that's also where I saw Cube for the first time.

I forgot all about these shows until now. Forever Knight had a pretty decent run I think, but it's a shame Deepwater didn't last longer.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

He writes with a pen on a loving datapadd. His whole schtick is to be anachronistic. If Jake Sisko were a modern teen, he'd be a goddamn hipster. And probably a vocal vegan who thinks not even animals should eat meat, because it's so savage.

He's still the only child character we see unwilling to enthusiastically join the military elite that rule the federation.

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010
Plus, he dated Lisa Turtle.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
Ezri's pathetic. A confused child trying to live up to a legacy left by her predecessors. She's not worthy of the name Dax. We knew Jadzia, she was vital, alive, she owned herself! Ezri doesn't even know who she is. Now stop talking about her before I say something unkind.

...sorry, I actually love Ezri, but that is my favorite Garak moment.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p8Adm5SNv0Q

LeafyOrb
Jun 11, 2012

Ezri didn't really have much to do on DS9 as Vic was already the group's psychiatrist, she was pretty redundant and misused for pretty much all of the last season. Especially Nog's episode which just made her seem really incompetent.

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

haha Cube! The first was great and different but Cube 2, Hypercube just had less cube overall.

counterfeitsaint posted:

We knew Jadzia, she was vital, alive, she owned herself!

gently caress yeah!

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Tony Montana posted:

haha Cube! The first was great and different but Cube 2, Hypercube just had less cube overall.
I just picked up Cube Zero on VHS for fifty cents. It's apparently a prequel, but I have avoided reading a single thing about it. I hope it's terrible.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Trent posted:

I just picked up Cube Zero on VHS for fifty cents. It's apparently a prequel, but I have avoided reading a single thing about it. I hope it's terrible.

Great news...

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
As I'm currently sitting here watching Move Along Home, I got a bit of a Cube vibe from Sisko waking up inside the game.

Alamarane!

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Ezri looks like a chipmunk or Bugs Bunny in drag.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
I bet your home is decorated like poo poo too

QVC Drinking Game
Jun 23, 2005

Kibayasu posted:

He's not super prolific but I feel like I've seen him in major movies more than I have any other latter-day Trek actor except Stewart. He seems to be the go-to guy for "sympathetic Arab supporting actor" (Kingdom of Heaven, Syriana).

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

So I just watched through DS9 not long after finishing up Transformers Prime.

I have to say, it was quite jarring to hear Ratchet as the smug suck-up spokesman for the Dominion. :stare:

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I'm your friend and I'm not going to just stand by and let you do this!

Forget Jake, Sisko's already a hipster. He cooks actual food and plays around with outdated space ships and obscure sports that he's sure you've never heard of.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

QVC Drinking Game posted:

He's not super prolific but I feel like I've seen him in major movies more than I have any other latter-day Trek actor except Stewart. He seems to be the go-to guy for "sympathetic Arab supporting actor" (Kingdom of Heaven, Syriana).

He was also in 24 as a former terrorist that decided that he has had enough.

• Locked thread