Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

xzzy posted:

They also could have just not hit the update button, or copied the .ipa file on their desktop to keep a backup.

I mean, no one physically forced anyone to install new software.

Except iOS 7 updates your apps automatically by default. Fake edit: plenty of people beat me to this as I was writing this post.

Everybody's feedback is valuable though. Nobody, not even those of us who were involved in making it, are happy with everything in this update. There are tons of things that I'm not satisfied with yet, but that we just didn't get to yet, and there are plenty of criticisms where I found myself nodding in agreement. This app is still in continuous development and it will get better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Mahoning posted:

Yeah, this.

The majority have had legitimate suggestions or requests, but quite a few people have thrown mini tantrums that someone dared change something they like.

How about you guys wait and see if they address your concerns instead of immediately jumping down their throats? Or you know, at least not be rude to someone who is doing something for free so that you can read a stupid Internet forum on your phone.

So we shouldn't voice our concerns? How will they know what we desired changed/reverted if those of us who are displeased don't make our opinions known here in the thread. If this thread is meant to be for thank yous and compliments and other positivity, I can make my issues known via PMs to the devs instead, but to suggest that end users are not allowed to voice concerns is absurd.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

I don't understand this:

This is just a waste if space. One of the core concepts of iOS7 is minimalism, and minimalism isn't just including less buttons in wider spacing. As a design ideology, minimalism is reducing clutter to make things aesthetically clean, pleasing, and functional. This bottom bar is the equivalent of a "minimalist" deskspace that put away the pen holder, stapler, tape, pad of paper, and coffee mug, but left the Staplers Easy Button and novelty stress ball in the open. Nobody needs on-the-fly theme adjustment, nor do they need on-the-fly avatar and image toggles. That's the exact type of features that exist in a settings menu, because they're settings. As for the "share" button that has thread voting, you need to compare usage with convenience. It's a convenient button to have, but it's nowhere near as important as a navigation button.

At bare minimum, that bottom bar should be a navigation bar. It should have the ability to navigate toward the forums list, or the bookmarks list. I would rather have it use 5 buttons: Forums, Bookmarks, Thread-Page Navigation, Thread Vote, Share/Send to other Apps. Those 5 are very doable in that space, all have functionality within the context of the thread, and most importantly, greatly improve navigation flow in the App. Having the equivalent of a coloring book and a junk drawer be omnipresent while simple navigation functions stay offscreen is pretty terrible design, and in no way minimalist.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

jivjov posted:

So we shouldn't voice our concerns? How will they know what we desired changed/reverted if those of us who are displeased don't make our opinions known here in the thread. If this thread is meant to be for thank yous and compliments and other positivity, I can make my issues known via PMs to the devs instead, but to suggest that end users are not allowed to voice concerns is absurd.

Did you completely ignore where I said most people have legitimate concerns and complaints and only SOME people were throwing tantrums and being rude?

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Mahoning posted:

Did you completely ignore where I said most people have legitimate concerns and complaints and only SOME people were throwing tantrums and being rude?

"Temper tantrums" is probably the worst thing to describe user feedback, ever. If something suck,s and somebody says "this sucks", then you either ignore it, or address it for clarification. Pointing it out like that as if it's illegitimate criticism doesn't make it illegitimate. This update was a huge change on both back end and aesthetics/navigation, and there's a lot to be desired with the latter

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
And I'll reiterate what I put in my first post about this update: there is some really good stuff here. I like having the iOS7 style keyboard, I am pretty positive about the new look and feel in general (my complaints on that front tend to specific functionality concerns, not an overall condemnation of the iOS 7 aesthetic), and whatever backend changes were made have been top notch. I haven't gotten an error code 9 or a timeout error at all since the update, and my usage has been fairly evenly split between 3G and wi-fi.

Edit: I suddenly realized, the thread title is accurate again, just with the Bookmarks page instead of threads.

jivjov fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Dec 18, 2013

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
I'm really only here to complain about the removal of the navbar in favor of a hamburger menu. I dunno what else could be changed, but so far, it's fine by me.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

death .cab for qt posted:

"Temper tantrums" is probably the worst thing to describe user feedback, ever. If something suck,s and somebody says "this sucks", then you either ignore it, or address it for clarification. Pointing it out like that as if it's illegitimate criticism doesn't make it illegitimate. This update was a huge change on both back end and aesthetics/navigation, and there's a lot to be desired with the latter

How would you describe this, if not as a temper tantrum:

gucci void main posted:

I hate to sound like a dick but I'm going to because pretty much everything about the new version is worse than in the original and I don't know how you guys hosed it up so much.

The dark theme is horrendous and everything looks completely disjointed. The default is passable, but it still looks bad and it's too loving bright for forums reading. Just because iOS 7 encourages it doesn't mean it has to be white everywhere because it makes reading a lot less pleasant.

Everyone's already bitched about the fonts and that's enough of an issue in itself. Switch to a serif font. Sans serif doesn't work as well for apps like this when everything surrounding it is supposed to minimalist.

Or better yet, just release the old version as an option so I can go back to a browsing experience which is better than the alternative of browsing the forums in Safari. Ultimately you gave too much of a poo poo about iOS 7's self-indulgence of design instead of the actual user's experience in terms of reading, which is the only point of the thing in the first place.

I mean the dude starts out by admitting he's a dick.

I think the gist of my argument is that some of the complainers are being drama queens that bitched up a storm after using the new app for less than a day. Maybe you guys should start a thread demanding that they give you your old Awful app back like how those people on Facebook start a new group demanding to go backwards every time Facebook changes their UI.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

jivjov posted:

And I'll reiterate what I put in my first post about this update: there is some really good stuff here. I like having the iOS7 style keyboard, I am pretty positive about the new look and feel in general (my complaints on that front tend to specific functionality concerns, not an overall condemnation of the iOS 7 aesthetic), and whatever backend changes were made have been top notch. I haven't gotten an error code 9 or a timeout error at all since the update, and my usage has been fairly evenly split between 3G and wi-fi.

Edit: I suddenly realized, the thread title is accurate again, just with the Bookmarks page instead of threads.

I completely agree about the overall look and the backend work, everything is very nice and the new touches make posting better. The New Awful App has a few little hiccups here and there that will probably get fixed, but there's a pretty glaring issue with navigation.

That, and color choice. Is it not possible to use different quote colors between the different modes? Having a dark purple for light mode, light green for night, and other contrasting colors for the YOSPOS/FYAD themes would go a long way.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
If people can decide everything is great in "less than a day" then people can decide it isn't, too.

Using Facebook is a bad example because they squeeze out turd-like new UIs every few months and ignore people because they can get away with it, not because they've actually improved anything.

Southern Vulcan
Apr 5, 2007
A colorful mix of Boomshine and Logic

At bare minimum, that bottom bar should be a navigation bar. It should have the ability to navigate toward the forums list, or the bookmarks list. I would rather have it use 5 buttons: Forums, Bookmarks, Thread-Page Navigation, Thread Vote, Share/Send to other Apps.

I think this is a great idea.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Mahoning posted:

I think the gist of my argument is that some of the complainers are being drama queens that bitched up a storm after using the new app for less than a day. Maybe you guys should start a thread demanding that they give you your old Awful app back like how those people on Facebook start a new group demanding to go backwards every time Facebook changes their UI.

That is criticism, with points to back up their opinions, and not delivered in a pleasant package with a ribbon tied around it. It's about as blunt as criticism can get while still being specific. Feedback doesn't have to be polite.

Disappointing Pie
Feb 7, 2006
Words cannot describe what a disaster the pie was.
The new Awful should just emulate the new Tweetbot. :colbert:

tau
Mar 20, 2003

Sigillum Universitatis Kansiensis
How does one toggle thread tags in this release?

eames
May 9, 2009

My awful app just updated itself. I quite like it, good job!

hottubrhymemachine
May 24, 2006

Connie is death process
I think my main problem is holding my ipad in portrait I can't reach any navigation without moving one hand from the bottom to the top. Before I could swipe anywhere and bring out the bookmarks list and touch with my left thumb. I can't seem to find any swipe gestures at all in the ipad version actually - we're they all removed or is it buggy?

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

I don't understand this:

Hate to sort of circumvent the big hubub around it but ideally what we want is for that toolbar and all the other UI elements to hide like they do in iOS7 Safari.

tau posted:

How does one toggle thread tags in this release?

Will be in the next release.

double sulk
Jul 2, 2010

Mahoning posted:

Saying I'm going to sound like a dick doesn't mean I'm necessarily wrong. Go read the YOSPOS thread if you want to see people laughing at how terrible it is, but I thought I'd provide some stark criticism if I'm going to tell the devs that the app is poo poo because that's what it is. It's bad. It is not a good app. It took about five minutes of using it to realize how horrendous the design is because there ultimately isn't all that much to it. It's a forums browser. You load threads and read posts. That is not to say that there isn't a fair amount of backend, but ultimately the interface is not going to be loaded with a massive number of views.

A lot of work is going to need to be done to bring it in line with how good it was before, because the original design could have been completely left alone or only tinkered with in a couple places and it still would have been just as great. Don't gently caress around too much with something that already works.

Rashomon
Jun 21, 2006

This machine kills fascists
I assume this is a bug, but I am stuck in portrait mode on my iPad and also the side nab bar (Forums, Bookmarks, Settings, etc) is always on so I have a tiny column with about 45% of the usable area to actually read threads. Any idea how to fix this? Closing and reopening the app didn't work. Delete and reinstall?

Also, one more for the text size option back. And I wish you could still look at bookmarks/forums without closing and losing where you were in a thread. Other than that, pretty nice update.

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

Honestly, my biggest annoyance with the update so far is regdates. Why are they featured so prominently, right below the user name? Does anyone actually care about regdates?

Can something useful be put there instead, like the post date?

Unicom
Mar 29, 2006

therobotking posted:

I think my main problem is holding my ipad in portrait I can't reach any navigation without moving one hand from the bottom to the top. Before I could swipe anywhere and bring out the bookmarks list and touch with my left thumb. I can't seem to find any swipe gestures at all in the ipad version actually - we're they all removed or is it buggy?

Yeah, the iPad app would be great if the iPhone-style swipe to bring the bookmark list up was brought back.

ultramiraculous
Nov 12, 2003

"No..."
Grimey Drawer

Oneiros posted:

Honestly, my biggest annoyance with the update so far is regdates. Why are they featured so prominently, right below the user name? Does anyone actually care about regdates?

Can something useful be put there instead, like the post date?

Spoken like a true :regd07:

Kinda agree, though.

UncleMonkey
Jan 11, 2005

We watched our friends grow up together
And we saw them as they fell
Some of them fell into Heaven
Some of them fell into Hell
I started using the app around a week ago. I don't have any feedback at this time (I will try to contribute more later). But I just wanted to say thank you to pokeyman and everyone else that has contributed to this app. I liked the previous version a lot, and I am still getting used to the update; but still, it is a really great app. Currently where I work the forums are blocked so it is nice to be able to still browse them on my phone. Honestly, I'm mad at myself for not downloading and using this app ages ago.

Anyway, thank you.

he1ixx
Aug 23, 2007

still bad at video games
Is there a way to always open to Bookmarks? I'm not seeing it but it'd be nice if it was there.

I really like the app so far though. It feels fast and nowhere near as bad as the neckbeards posting here are making it out to be. If I had read their posts before trying it I would have assumed the app was worse that Hitler. It's not. It's quite good and I'm sure it will get better.

he1ixx fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Dec 18, 2013

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

UncleMonkey posted:

I started using the app around a week ago. I don't have any feedback at this time (I will try to contribute more later). But I just wanted to say thank you to pokeyman and everyone else that has contributed to this app. I liked the previous version a lot, and I am still getting used to the update; but still, it is a really great app. Currently where I work the forums are blocked so it is nice to be able to still browse them on my phone. Honestly, I'm mad at myself for not downloading and using this app ages ago.

Anyway, thank you.

No, thank you, good sir for having the guts to avoid sipping the hateorade that's being passed around here..

This thread could learn a lesson or two about good de-bugging etiquette in my humble opinion. Awful App isn't perfect, but what is, after all? Life is imperfect, life is dogshit.

Ethereal
Mar 8, 2003
Love the app, it feels ways more responsive.

I know how hard it is to rewrite an app from the ground up and I have to say you guys did a stellar job for an initial release. Usability and design changes will be much easier now that the hard part of rewriting the code base is done.

Which reminds me, I should get around to getting my dev account re-setup and contribute some changes...

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

So I absolutely love this update, but could I vote to bring back the text size increase option? Specially on the iPad version, my old man eyes would appreciate it.

Honestly it's a great update, well done lads

Edit: wow, just read the last page of complaints, you people are shitheads, how about some gratitude

Comfy Fleece Sweater fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Dec 18, 2013

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Don Tacorleone posted:

So I absolutely love this update, but could I vote to bring back the text size increase option? Specially on the iPad version, my old man eyes would appreciate it.

Edit: wow, just read the last page of complaints, you people are shitheads, how about some gratitude

Exactly.

quote:

Thanks devs, thanks for running a great app through your digestive system where it turned into poo poo!
- What a hater in this thread might say....

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

gucci void main posted:

Saying I'm going to sound like a dick doesn't mean I'm necessarily wrong. Go read the YOSPOS thread if you want to see people laughing at how terrible it is, but I thought I'd provide some stark criticism if I'm going to tell the devs that the app is poo poo because that's what it is. It's bad. It is not a good app. It took about five minutes of using it to realize how horrendous the design is because there ultimately isn't all that much to it. It's a forums browser. You load threads and read posts. That is not to say that there isn't a fair amount of backend, but ultimately the interface is not going to be loaded with a massive number of views.

A lot of work is going to need to be done to bring it in line with how good it was before, because the original design could have been completely left alone or only tinkered with in a couple places and it still would have been just as great. Don't gently caress around too much with something that already works.

It's an app that puts words into boxes with labels, quit being a drama queen. The difference between the worst possible words in boxes app and the best is nearly nothing so you're just being a huuuuuge exaggerating rear end in a top hat when you say poo poo like its "horrendous" and other look-at-how-outraged-I-am phrases.

I'm sure the guys who made the app are taking note of all the constructive criticism and planning on fixing the things that need fixing. No need for your baby whining and super "this is the worst app ever" exaggerating.

And for the record I think right now I like the old app better but a) I realize that it's just an app for reading words and I don't get all pissy and demanding about it and b) I'll probably give myself a week of using it before I declare one better than the other.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Don Tacorleone posted:

You're acting like the update didn't wipe away the previous app. What the developer did is take a piece of software that we were all very appreciative of and remove it from our devices.

If it was released as a separate "iOS 7.0 and up" app, you would have a valid point. The YOSPOS thread knows what's up.

(Don't make the point that we could have prevented the update. You know how annoying it is to have to keep Automatic Updates off and manually go in and selectively update apps one by one everyday?)

JazzFlight fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Dec 18, 2013

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

JazzFlight posted:

(Don't make the point that we could have prevented the update. You know how annoying it is to have to keep Automatic Updates off and manually go in and selectively update apps one by one everyday?)

:qq:

You always have the option of downloading a backup to your computer via iTunes, forever protecting you from those evil developers actively seeking to make your life a living hell.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

xzzy posted:

:qq:

You always have the option of downloading a backup to your computer via iTunes, forever protecting you from those evil developers actively seeking to make your life a living hell.
What does that mean? It's the same thing as what I said. I'd still have to keep automatic updates off system-wide or else it will eventually update.

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice
I'm enjoying the cognitive dissonance of people posting a bunch of whiny loving posts about the critical posts. If you disagree with the criticism, specify why you disagree and stop your blubbering. Be constructive. Telling people "it's free gently caress off" is not constructive.

When it comes to software I write, I want to know exactly how strongly people feel about it, good or bad, so I know where to prioritize changes. As long as my users don't make personal attacks (and nobody has here from what I have seen; criticizing the work =/= criticizing the devs), I don't freak out if they use words like "this is dumb and here's why" or "I liked the old one better and here's why" - as long as the criticism contains facts and reasons, it's valuable.

To contribute: to clarify my previous criticism, pull to refresh is fine on my iPhone 4s, however on my iPad mini I have to pull down more than half the height of my screen, it's fairly unusable this way as my thumb naturally rests near the centre of my tablet, not near the top. I keep having to release and start again.

TacoHavoc
Dec 31, 2007
It's taco-y and havoc-y...at the same time!

JazzFlight posted:

If you can't find the "update all" button I would question how valid your feedback is.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Cold on a Cob posted:

When it comes to software I write, I want to know exactly how strongly people feel about it, good or bad, so I know where to prioritize changes. As long as my users don't make personal attacks (and nobody has here from what I have seen; criticizing the work =/= criticizing the devs), I don't freak out if they use words like "this is dumb and here's why" or "I liked the old one better and here's why" - as long as the criticism contains facts and reasons, it's valuable.

Yep. I was heavily involved in the design and development and for the most part the posts defending it are getting more annoying than the criticism. Even if there's more criticism than I would have liked, the vast majority of it has been constructive and really does help.

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

TacoHavoc posted:

If you can't find the "update all" button I would question how valid your feedback is.

But by your logic, you should be checking each app update to make sure it isn't a complete backwards overhaul before updating it. Mashing Update All is just as bad as automatically updating.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

TacoHavoc posted:

Before Automatic Updates, I used Update All.
In my proposed scenario of avoiding the new update to Awful, I wouldn't be able to use either feature. I would have to update every other app surrounding Awful one-by-one. You can't manually set an app to "never update" like in Steam.

ClydeUmney
May 13, 2004

One can hardly ignore the Taoist implications of "Fuck it, Dude. Let's go bowling."

Quick issue: don't generally have any issues with the "pull to refresh/for next page" thing, but I will say that if you end up with a single post by itself (say, you had only not read the last post on a page), that becomes very difficult to pull up far enough, especially if it's a really short one.

ClydeUmney fucked around with this message at 04:46 on Dec 18, 2013

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

App crashes when I try to view user profiles btw. Sometimes it brings up a blinding white screen and sits there until the app is terminated, sometimes it crashes immediately. Haven't seen it work yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serifina
Oct 30, 2011

So... dizzy...
Pull to Refresh is fine, but Pull for Next Page requires an extremely long pull, and could stand to be toned down.

I, personally, don't understand the hate. The new style fits in with the overall theme of iOS7 (which I'm personally on the fence about but don't hate and have grown used to since the update.) I don't feel I've lost any functionality. I would like the border between posts to be a bit more distinct, but that's all. The app functions quickly and smoothly, even moreso than the old versions.

• Locked thread