Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

:h::h::h:Alhamdulillah-chan:h::h::h:
I love the needlessly dramatic music in that video; it's so very Nathan.

Incidentally, based on that and a couple of reviews I've seen on FPN, would something like Herbin's poussiere de lune be close to the crimehacked result? Or is there some other residual effect to it? Some of the reviews show that the normal color's got some sweet metallic flecking in the ink. But the purple just looks kinda like pdl, more of a dusty sort of lavender than anything else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Hey FedEx, how dare you deliver something before your "delivered by" time.

angerbeet posted:

Essentially.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8KcW1IlaxFs

I don't want to go around dipping all my papers etc. in bleach.

If it's just an oxidation reaction on the ink you should try mixing a drop with bleach to see if it will pre-color it for you.

Drythe
Aug 26, 2012

What's a fun color I can use to make my notes at work look less bland and boring? I like heart of darkness but sometimes I want something not black.

milpreve
Feb 29, 2012

Drythe posted:

What's a fun color I can use to make my notes at work look less bland and boring? I like heart of darkness but sometimes I want something not black.

How... not black? I find Rohrer & Klingner Fernambuk to fill me with joy, it's a vibrant raspberry pink. Lamy Turquoise is utterly lovely, I could write with that all day. Noodler's Apache Sunset as well, when it shades. J. Herbin Lierre Sauvage is a bright green or a medium dark green, depending what I write on, and is lovely. Getting more professional, I find Noodler's 54th Massachusetts to be dark, but have some nice shading on good paper and a pretty teal/black on copy paper. Private Reserve has a whole bunch of vibrant colors, but their Vampire Red looks like you're writing with old red blood. Perfect for Christmas!

Edit: My Kaküno came today! But it just has a normal Pilot cartridge, no super long or fun print. Maybe because I ordered the pink one, and pink=no pirates?

triskadekaphilia
Oct 29, 2004

Drythe posted:

I really like Noodler's aircorp blue-black. It's really almost green, but in a totally appropriate for work way.

djinndarc
Dec 20, 2012

"I'm Bender, baby, please insert liquor!"

triskadekaphilia posted:

I really like Noodler's aircorp blue-black. It's really almost green, but in a totally appropriate for work way.

I second this. ACBB is an amazing ink and a great alternative to a regular black ink. I am also a big fan of the regular Noodler's Blue Black, although it is totally different from ACBB.

Recently I lost the cap to my beloved Pilot Metro. Where can I go to buy a replacement cap?

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

I've seen fun you people wouldn't believe.
Tiki torches on fire off the summit of Kilauea.
I watched disco balls glitter in the dark near the Brandenburg Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like crowds in rain.

Time to sleep.

Drythe posted:

Iroshizuku anything almost. I really like Kon-Peki (Cerulean) and Syo-Ro (Turquoise), but the crowd favorite is Tsuki-Yo(Teal) by a fair margin (that link has all the others in it too). It's pricier than Noodler's but much more behaved, well usually, that can vary with different pens and such of course.

Diamine Steel-Blue has also grown on me, it's really like a bright as gently caress teal, but I think it works out really well in thin nibs, while also shading well in stubs.

kim jong-illin
May 2, 2011
Only bummer about Noodler's Air Corp Blue Black is that it only comes out green-black on good paper. On the cheap stuff I have to use at work it's almost a pure green colour, which means I can't use it.

Noodler's Zhivago is a nice alternative - it's black with a faint green tint to it when you look at an angle. Diamine Eclipse is a very dark purple-black. Both of them are great alternatives to black inks if you work somewhere where you have to write in black because the extra colour is very subtle.

RustedChrome
Jun 10, 2007

"do not hold the camera obliquely, or the world will seem to be on an inclined plane."
Just mix bleach in with the ink before loading your pen.

*not really

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob

RustedChrome posted:

Just mix bleach in with the ink before loading your pen.

*not really

:argh: CrimeHacks

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Hey FedEx, how dare you deliver something before your "delivered by" time.
I doubt it takes that much to oxidize it. Try it out in a little vial first. We're talking like a few microliters of bleach for a large drop I bet. That's most likely not going to wreck your pen. Household bleach is only like 3% sodium hypochlorite anyways.

I'd be interested in testing how sensitive Noodlers inks are to that kind of tampering.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

MY FRANDS. I got a bottle of Sailor Jentle Epinard. It's so gorgeous and green and I love it so. On top is a Parker pen like I had when I was in middle school (and lost ages ago). It's got the same size and feel to it. Nib is buttery smooth. Mmm. The one to the left of it is the Papermate Student. It's really funky and adorable. I like it. I also got the two Rotring Surf pens. One in green, one in light blue. The green one is holding the Epinard now. :)

That's how the green writes, BTW. I love it. So nicccce.

EDIT: The converters and cartridges that came with the two Rotrings and one Papermate are TINY TEENY TINY ITSY BITSY. I mean like freakishly small. This makes me happy, because it's an excuse to get more ink colours, and change them out more frequently, so I don't get bored of the one colour.

dino. fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Dec 13, 2013

Rudeboy Detective
Apr 28, 2011

Gumwater has increased their going out of business discounts. This is a chance to get that giant bottle of baystate blue you've always wanted. They still have an okayish selection of Diamine inks, some Rhodia pads, and a handful of Noodler's inks/pens.

I did business with them earlier in their going out of business sale and was basically happy. They shipped things quickly, though without any notification that they had. Also the shipping was fairly steep, but I still came out a few bucks ahead.

http://www.gumwater.com/default.asp

Drythe
Aug 26, 2012

They had the Apache Sunset someone recommended and a few Rhodia pads of the size I wanted. I'm happy with that.

EagerSleeper
Feb 3, 2010

by R. Guyovich
I'm kinda repeating a question buy does anyone know of inks that do really well on newsprint quality paper? I heard noodler's heart of darkness can do it, but I'm still looking since I'd like to buy from other brands that are more readily available to me.

Does anyone have ink that can do that?

PONEYBOY
Jul 31, 2013

I've heard the Lexington Gray is good for cheaper(?) papers - newspapers, margins of novels and so on -, but that's Noodlers too, so probably not much help for you.

Daerc
Sep 23, 2007

Look! A door! This must mean something!

EagerSleeper posted:

I'm kinda repeating a question buy does anyone know of inks that do really well on newsprint quality paper? I heard noodler's heart of darkness can do it, but I'm still looking since I'd like to buy from other brands that are more readily available to me.

Does anyone have ink that can do that?

Dunno how much help it'll be exactly, but the Pelikan 4001 inks seemed to do reasonably well on cheaper paper in my experience. Waterman Serenity Blue and Lamy Blue don't seem to feather much in my experience with cheaper paper so they might work as well, and they can be a touch dry so that might help with that as well.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

I've had success on poor paper with X-Feather by Noodlers or a good iron-gall, but never tried newsprint.

Rudeboy Detective
Apr 28, 2011

andelazo posted:

I've heard the Lexington Gray is good for cheaper(?) papers - newspapers, margins of novels and so on -, but that's Noodlers too, so probably not much help for you.

I use Lexington on this grade of paper all the time and it works like a charm. It also has the added bonus of being close enough to the color of a newspaper that it isn't an apocalyptic event when your pen suddenly vomits half a converter of ink everywhere. That being said, I have never tried it in a wet pen, so your mileage may vary.

After scrawling on a newspaper with all of my currently inked pens, I can also recommend Private Reserve Ebony Blue and Noodler's El Lawrence, which both behaved perfectly. El Lawrence never behaves, so this feels pretty strange to write. Diamine Twilight hates newspaper, apparently.

Fake Edit: I put one of the new Noodler's non-flex nibs in my Ahab today. Thirty seconds of abrasive later it has been transformed from the giant goofy pen in the back of a drawer to being the giant goofy pen that I use enough to make people complain about its smell.

djinndarc
Dec 20, 2012

wodan22 posted:

Not really sure if I'm ready to commit the Hobonichi yet, but I'm considering getting a planner. Can someone talk a bit more about the Rhodia Web Planner? I've seen the pics and info on the Goulet Pens site, but don't really have a "feel" for it yet. Can you tell me what's good/bad about it or what you like/don't like, or genreal impressions?

Yeah, so I buckled to peer pressure and ordered a Hobonichi instead of the Rhodia Planner (may try the Rhodia at a later date, though, as it still looked pretty awesome). I was really surprised that it only took about a week and a half to get here. As someone who has only rarely used a planner/手帳 in my life, I was actually fairly impressed. I just got the plain Navy cover, as I am not big on flashy stuff (also a lot of the flashier ones were already sold out). I like that it is stylish and filled with a lot of practical/useful stuff and that I can probably use it as a backup diary or journal.

I went for the Japanese (non English) one, because I don't get to read Japanese stuff as much as I used to, and I figured it would be a good practice.

milpreve
Feb 29, 2012
I love mine. I also made a tumblr to follow people and share my techo. That paper is luscious. I sampled my InkDrop on it with no bleedthrough. Still figuring out how exactly I'm going to use it, but so far it hasn't really left my side. The Rhodia planner might be a nicer planner, but the Hobonichi wins out in versatility, I think. Pocket knife versus Swiss Army knife. I love sticking things in it. :3:

Edit: I just watched that ink video, wow the music and holy Hera, why is he writing with a knife?

milpreve fucked around with this message at 16:33 on Dec 17, 2013

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006
I want your happy place to slap you as it flies by.

I love mine more and more every time I use it, it really is the perfect little companion!
So far I've had 2 people comment on it (I have the bright green cover).

Hey, if I posted a couple of pics, would one of you be able to translate the last few pages? I know they're for personal info or something, but I dunno exactly what and would appreciate some help.

djinndarc
Dec 20, 2012

iostream.h posted:

I love mine more and more every time I use it, it really is the perfect little companion!
So far I've had 2 people comment on it (I have the bright green cover).

Hey, if I posted a couple of pics, would one of you be able to translate the last few pages? I know they're for personal info or something, but I dunno exactly what and would appreciate some help.

I should be able to. If I'm not on, I know at least Kessel also speaks/reads it.

Verdugo
Jan 5, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

milpreve posted:

Edit: I just watched that ink video, wow the music and holy Hera, why is he writing with a knife?

Nathan's continual downward spiral in action. Man makes great inks but is slowly descending into the lunatic fringe.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Verdugo posted:

Nathan's continual downward spiral in action. Man makes great inks but is slowly descending into the lunatic fringe.

Which video was that again (link)?

DurianGray
Dec 23, 2010

King of Fruits
I'm going to assume the Rome Burning one https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8KcW1IlaxFs but really, it could have been any number of his product videos.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

DurianGray posted:

I'm going to assume the Rome Burning one https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8KcW1IlaxFs but really, it could have been any number of his product videos.

Oh great, it's not available here. Damnit GEMA :argh:

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

wodan22 posted:

I should be able to. If I'm not on, I know at least Kessel also speaks/reads it.

I'll help too, sure. Just go ahead and post it!

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006

Thanks guys!
Gimme a bit and I'll get it up later tonight!

RustedChrome
Jun 10, 2007

"do not hold the camera obliquely, or the world will seem to be on an inclined plane."

iostream.h posted:

Gimme a bit and I'll get it up later tonight!

Whoa ho! And it's not even Friday!

Has anyone gotten one of those rose gold TWSBI's yet? I'm not really tempted by it but I'm curious if it really feels like a TWSBI.

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob

milpreve posted:

Because Caesar and Senate Betrayal.

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

:h::h::h:Alhamdulillah-chan:h::h::h:

milpreve posted:

In addition to everything that's already been said, it just kinda looks neat. You should try it some time!

As an aside, the normal blade on a swiss army knife has an appallingly low ink capacity.

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
We'll all be writing with cheap knives in the future iterations of this thread.

cobalt impurity
Apr 23, 2010

I hope he didn't care about that pizza.
I'm all aboard the knife writing thread if we can buy Nathan Tardif an account and bring him in.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

cobalt impurity posted:

I'm all aboard the knife writing thread if we can buy Nathan Tardif an account and bring him in.

Do you really want to fuel his :tinfoil: more by bringing him into this unamerican forum?

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
Went and bought another fountain pen, but only a cheapo Pilot Penmanship, mostly because I heard you can put the nib in a Metropolitan.

BTW has anyone used the Konrad ebonite or acrylic noodler's pens? They're pretty expensive for a Noodlers pen IMO, is the quality much better? And what's preferrable, ebonite or acrylic? The ruby acrylic looked kinda nice, the ebonites where much more subdued and most of my pens are like that already.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

His Divine Shadow posted:

Went and bought another fountain pen, but only a cheapo Pilot Penmanship, mostly because I heard you can put the nib in a Metropolitan.
The pictures make it look like a Plumix. Are you going to eyedropper it?

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
I dunno if I will use the body at all more than just to test the nib. I thought it was quite ugly looking but maybe it will surprise me. OTOH I really like my metropolitan, favorite pen of the lot (buncha noodlers and two lamys).

EagerSleeper
Feb 3, 2010

by R. Guyovich

angerbeet posted:

We'll all be writing with cheap knives in the future iterations of this thread.

Replace "cheap" with "overpriced knives that only function on a narrower band of materials in comparison to other knives."

Okay, so I'm just a little disappointed with the common sentiment to blame the paper and forgive inks that preform badly on most types of papers. :(

However I want to say thanks to everyone who responded to my question about inks that preform well on cheaper paper. I've been reading up on Pelikan inks and they seem very reliable. Waterman black ink seems to be a good choice too since supposedly it's very bleed resistant even on handmade rice paper (follow this link for a picture of that: http://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php/topic/255538-fast-drying-and-good-on-cheap-paper/). Thank you all very much for your suggestions!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006

Here goes, thanks again guys!
I included all of the final pages (except the obvious ones) just out of curiosity, it's the personal info pages that I'm most interested in.

Thanks!

And here, the most important page: