Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

eddiewalker posted:

How are the Amazon Basics lightning cables? I've been thinking about getting the 6ft amazon cable to keep in my work luggage, but maybe a cheap genuine one and a slim USB extension would be better.

They're great, I have a few. My only complaint is the plastic part on the connector is wider than the standard Apple ones, so if you use a case with a plug cut-out, you may have to do some xact-o knife surgery on your case.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

comper
Jun 22, 2006
My mom says I'm cool.

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

They're great, I have a few. My only complaint is the plastic part on the connector is wider than the standard Apple ones, so if you use a case with a plug cut-out, you may have to do some xact-o knife surgery on your case.

Quit hunching over using your iPad and get your back healthy already. Not that you'd help us at all in shootouts, but we still would love to have you back soon.

-The Wings Fans

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
The amazon basics ones are certified by apple and legit.

CoasterMaster
Aug 13, 2003

The Emperor of the Rides

Nap Ghost

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

I just tested my Amazon Basics lightning cable with the official iPad Air Smart Case and it fits fine.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

comper posted:

Quit hunching over using your iPad and get your back healthy already. Not that you'd help us at all in shootouts, but we still would love to have you back soon.

-The Wings Fans

I'm spending my time on LTIR catching up with all my bookmarked SA threads.

CoasterMaster posted:

I just tested my Amazon Basics lightning cable with the official iPad Air Smart Case and it fits fine.

I don't use a case on my iPad, but that is good to know. I had problems with one of the third-party cases on my iPhone.

gilljoy
May 3, 2009
My iPad air just arrived :D very pleased.

Now to get installing apps

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
So is there a consensus on the best Air keyboard? I'd like one that lights up and covers the back side like that Logitech fabric skin folio deelie.

Dicty Bojangles
Apr 14, 2001

Funny you ask - I picked up the Zagg Folio for my Air this afternoon and am very happy with it so far. It pretty much turns your iPad into a netbook. It balances fine with your iPad at whatever angle, and it works great on your lap or a table alike. The keyboard is pretty good, too - about what you'd expect from a netbook.

edit- also just realized that a nice bonus for the Zagg is that you can still use the iPad in portrait if you hold at the hinge as if it's a hardcover book - it balances very nicely in the hand.

Dicty Bojangles fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Dec 15, 2013

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Nice, so the build quality on the zagg is good? Really the main thing that has kept me from looking at it closer is the goofy rear end name :haw:

Dicty Bojangles
Apr 14, 2001

Yeah it's pretty solid. It's plastic but feels very sturdy and doesn't warp at all. As a case it covers everything except the buttons and bezel - including the speaker holes, oddly enough, but that doesn't hinder sound at all. It isn't "throw onto concrete" sturdy, but can easily be tossed into a bookbag without any hesitation. And the keys/etc on the keyboard are definitely netbook/laptop quality. I've been typing all this about it without any issues.

thenotoriouspie
Feb 28, 2010
SUPREME
GOON HERO
-2011-

(hell yes)
:hist101:
I'm getting an iPad mini retina for Christmas and I'm looking forward to it. I have the iPad 4 right now and I love it except that it's a bit on the heavy side and I have small hands and typing on it isn't that fun. Oh and since my family is buying it from the store I work I get the commission from it! Score!

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Clue: Zero

eddiewalker posted:

How are the Amazon Basics lightning cables? I've been thinking about getting the 6ft amazon cable to keep in my work luggage, but maybe a cheap genuine one and a slim USB extension would be better.

Had to send one back because the shielding started to get exposed. Amazon was great shipping out a replacement overnight although for the price it almost made more sense to throw out and buy another rather than deal with the hassle of returning. Decent cable, although it's bigger in every sense (both connectors and the cable is thicker) than Apple's cable. The thicker cable is a bit of a pain in that it is less willing to bend than Apple's cable which makes it slightly awkward to use like I do to charge in bed while using the iPad.

On the other hand, it's hard to argue with a cheap 6ft cable that works.

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

thenotoriouspie posted:

I'm getting an iPad mini retina for Christmas and I'm looking forward to it. I have the iPad 4 right now and I love it except that it's a bit on the heavy side and I have small hands and typing on it isn't that fun. Oh and since my family is buying it from the store I work I get the commission from it! Score!

You'll love it. I just bought the 64GB mini retina and the screen is incredible especially when playing games (I'm playing Oceanhorn right now and it looks amazing).

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

thenotoriouspie posted:

Are your small hands having trouble typing while holding the iPad? Do you know how to split the keyboard?

Touch two thumbs near the middle of the keyboard and swipe them apart. It's just as handy on the Mini.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I've been wondering how to make the split keyboard come up since getting an Air at launch and never bothered to look it up. You've changed a lazy person's life for the better.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

eddiewalker posted:

Are your small hands having trouble typing while holding the iPad? Do you know how to split the keyboard?

Touch two thumbs near the middle of the keyboard and swipe them apart. It's just as handy on the Mini.

I never knew you could do it that way. I've always held down the little keyboard button on the lower left.

Serious Sam
Feb 15, 2008

Never underestimate the power of stupid things in large numbers!
Just ordered an Air. :smug: my wallet is so light now.

thenotoriouspie
Feb 28, 2010
SUPREME
GOON HERO
-2011-

(hell yes)
:hist101:

eddiewalker posted:

I know you can do that but I don't like its layout. I know I'm probably acting like a baby but I'd rather have the mini. It's pretty amazing so far. I'm posting from it right now

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
So, after a couple of months with the iPad Air, (or close to that long, I guess?) I rather like it. I will say, 2 things chip away at it's perceived "build-quality" which in turn, slightly affect my perception that it is the same luxurious tablet as past Apple tablets. Is this a big deal? Sorta yes and a little no.

They're both actually tied together (the 2 issues)

1) When you tap on it, it has a plastic, hollow sound.

2) When you tap on it, the screen flexes. If you press softly, it only flexes a little, but if you add even a reasonable amount of force, it bends inwards quite a lot.

I reiterate, these are only cosmetic/superficial issues. But having had and enjoyed past iPads, it definitely feels more "plastic toy" than the past ones.

Also, I am very aware that it's a tradeoff for weight. I'm ok with it. Just an observation, I guess...

:)

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Yes, agree with the build quality remarks. Also the volume buttons have a slight wiggle to them. In any other product I wouldn't even notice but I found the build quality on the iPad 2 to be so fantastic it does feel like a step down.

I picked up my 2 yesterday though and woof it is a heavy sucker, so it's a trade off.

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty
Is that a question of build quality though? I quite like the "soft" screen tbf, as now it doesn't feel like I'm touching some sterile glass surface (in lack of a better description). For some reason, that's a positive for me. It also makes it seem lighter.

DarkJC
Jul 6, 2010
I think the build quality is top notch. The iPad Air really feels like Apple showing off what they can do, to be honest. The glass is definitely thinner which I think is a big part of the weight savings. It doesn't seem to negatively impact using the device for me at all though.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
I don't think it's glass. That's part of the point. I'm not fond if how much give there is when you press it, but it's not a deal breaker. Just a preference...

DarkJC
Jul 6, 2010
It's definitely glass.

edit: Or at least it seems to behave in the exact same way. I've read reviews saying it's glass too but they could be just assuming. /shrug

DarkJC fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Dec 18, 2013

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Clearly I don't know everything about everything in the world but it will be a huge shock to me if this soft, flexible, hollow sounding top is actual glass.

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack
I think the glass on the Air is part of why mine cracked so easily. It does feel pretty flimsy.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

eddiewalker posted:

They're awesome and I highly recommend them. They're thicker than the OEM cable though, very well built.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Feenix posted:

Clearly I don't know everything about everything in the world but it will be a huge shock to me if this soft, flexible, hollow sounding top is actual glass.
It's glass. Aluminosilicate/Gorilla or whatever glass, but still a type of glass. This is from the iPad 2 but essentially the same stuff (except probably thinner in the Air):
http://youtu.be/r4vvQq7BpiE

Compared to the iPhones the main difference construction wise is that the glass is still a separate part in the iPads, while it's laminated/glued to the screen in iPhone.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

japtor posted:

It's glass. Aluminosilicate/Gorilla or whatever glass, but still a type of glass. This is from the iPad 2 but essentially the same stuff (except probably thinner in the Air):

Compared to the iPhones the main difference construction wise is that the glass is still a separate part in the iPads, while it's laminated/glued to the screen in iPhone.

Yup. This is also why it feels hollow; you're hitting that gap when you thunk your paws down on the glass. Eventually they'll move to laminating the iPads, too. Surprised they haven't already, to be honest.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

japtor posted:

Yup. This is also why it feels hollow; you're hitting that gap when you thunk your paws down on the glass. Eventually they'll move to laminating the iPads, too. Surprised they haven't already, to be honest.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Oh cool, phone time out dbl post. Gj, mediaphage.

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo
Is there any such thing as a privacy case for the Mini?

I just ordered a privacy screen for the Mini, which I've trying to find for a long time. I ask because I really only want privacy when I'm on an airplane. The iPad + a Bluetooth keyboard + a long flight is a huge boon for productivity. Otherwise, I'd rather not use a case or have a permanent privacy screen attached. I'd be happy to incur a little extra bulk when I fly, though. Does such a thing exist? I haven't been able to find anything.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
If that thing has a clear sheet for covering the adhesive side (and works without actually applying it to the screen), you might be able to get away with a loose case with wraparound edges to hold the cover in place. Or go really ghetto with a little masking tape or something to hold it in place.

Slamma Jamma!
May 20, 2010

Kobayashi posted:

Is there any such thing as a privacy case for the Mini?

I just ordered a privacy screen for the Mini, which I've trying to find for a long time. I ask because I really only want privacy when I'm on an airplane. The iPad + a Bluetooth keyboard + a long flight is a huge boon for productivity. Otherwise, I'd rather not use a case or have a permanent privacy screen attached. I'd be happy to incur a little extra bulk when I fly, though. Does such a thing exist? I haven't been able to find anything.

You could always buy one of those cases that has a 'screen protector' (A thin sheet of plastic attached to the case that covers the actual device screen) and attach the privacy screen to that. I wouldn't know which cases would have this, but you could also tape or otherwise attach the privacy screen to any other wrap around case like Japtor mentioned.

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo

Factory posted:

You could always buy one of those cases that has a 'screen protector' (A thin sheet of plastic attached to the case that covers the actual device screen) and attach the privacy screen to that. I wouldn't know which cases would have this, but you could also tape or otherwise attach the privacy screen to any other wrap around case like Japtor mentioned.

This is a good idea, as I was thinking of picking up a case for travel anyway. Is there a store that would have a good collection of cases that I could look at in person? I'd like to get a sense of how things feel in my hand before committing.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
Seems like there's iPad cases everywhere. The usual electronics stores should have a decent selection, maybe office supply stores, and otherwise regular ones like Target (and Walmart?) that sell iPads should have some cases too. Cellular places have cases too although I'm not sure how wide their iPad accessory sections are. And I guess Apple Stores too for checking them out at least.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Best Buy is probably your best bet. Make sure to make them pricematch Amazon though. I've bought more from Best Buy since they started PM'ing online shops than I ever have in the last decade.

Kenshirou
Jan 6, 2007

j.HP, c.Mp xx Flash Kick
Bit the bullet on a Mini Retina, and I'm very happy with how awesome it's been for reading comics, since I was concerned the smaller screen would be an issue. Coming from and iPad 3, this thing feels much faster in general. The only complaint I have is that the newer Smart Cover's ability to stick to the back seems to be hit or miss for me, but it's not a huge issue.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
I tried to contact Applecare to purchase Applecare plus, but apparently they're unable to let me purchase it since I'm outside of 30 days. I got my iPad delivered on the 20th of November. Does anyone have any suggestions? I know people have e-mailed "Steve" in the past for support. Does tcook@apple.com work the same way?

edit: I realized online purchases are returnable until after the new year. Guess my problem is solved if e-mailing doesn't work. :v:

Residency Evil fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Dec 20, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

geera
May 20, 2003
You should just return it and rebuy one with AppleCare. I don't see why Tim would intervene on your behalf because you waited too long... that's just the rules.