Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ledgy
Aug 1, 2013

Up against the wall

CJacobs posted:

One thing that it takes a little while to realize about Andrew Hussie is that he doesn't just portray his sense of humor in the comic, he portrays it in real life too. I met him once way back near the start of Homestuck and seemed like a pretty nice guy, but he acts in real life basically the exact same way he acts on the internet (if a bit less talkative).

I do agree with you that there is the risk that he won't be taken seriously but at the same time I don't think he really cares.

Case in point here is Andrew Hussie climbing statues for some reason:

And, more importantly, holding aloft his most prized possession:

This guy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008
God forbid that Andrew Hussie doesn't get taken seriously by the video game industry. How loving horrifying.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I have pictures saved of Andrew Hussie climbing on poo poo and god dammit I'm gonna use them. :colbert:

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Taking Andrew Hussie... seriously? I'm not sure I understand. :confused:

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

The endgame content for homestuck is poo poo, it's an endless grind that Hussie is never gonna end because he's afraid of change.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

If he really is happy about it, it means that Hussie has reached that mystical lifestyle where you just do what you love and don't give a poo poo about the rest of the world. In which case I will admire him even more.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

I'm getting the idea that the Namco people were told "this guy is some kind of Internet messiah outsider artist, so just let him do whatever he wants with whoever he wants and we'll probably make money off it." And he's absolutely 100% abusing his power because why the gently caress wouldn't you. And the whole thing will probably work anyway.

e: I also like that he treated that interview like he treats all his blog posts and rambled about how much of a genius he is instead of actually answering their questions until they finally decided to talk to someone else instead, and it's hilarious. Andrew Hussie is the Andy Kaufman of the Internet.

loquacius fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Dec 17, 2013

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

loquacius posted:

Andrew Hussie is the Andy Kaufman of the Internet.

Yeah pretty much. He does things that he finds funny and if anyone else finds them funny too, that's just an added bonus. I'm eagerly anticipating the announcement of his professional wrestling career.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Fister Roboto posted:

Yeah pretty much. He does things that he finds funny and if anyone else finds them funny too, that's just an added bonus. I'm eagerly anticipating the announcement of his professional wrestling career.

Well Billy Corgan started one, so I assume the barriers to entry are pretty low.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

Wasn't Namco High supposed to come out today? I can't find anything on it.

Angry Walrus
Aug 31, 2013

Quinn it
to
Win it.
Comes out at 8 PM EST.

friendlyNeurotoxin
Sep 14, 2011

Super High-school Level Slacker
Namco High is now online at: http://shiftylook.com/games/namcohigh
The associated store seems to be down at the minute though.

- By the look of things it can't be played yet after all rather than just requiring character codes.

The Crunchyroll store mentions this though:

quote:

FREE DATELINES:

Galaga (from Galaga), Lolo (from Klonoa), Valkyrie (from Legend of the Valkyrie), Anti-Bravoman (from Bravoman), Meowkie (from Mappy), Albatross (from Rolling Thunder)
PREMIUM DATELINES:

Taira (from Genpei Tomaden), Blue Max (from Sky Kid), Akiho Matsuo (from Wonder Momo), Nidia (from Dragon Spirit), Tomari (from Ordyne), Donko (from Taiko Drum Master), Hiromi (from Burning Force), Mr. Driller (from Mr. Driller), Richard Miller (from Time Crisis), and the three Homestuck character exchange students!

friendlyNeurotoxin fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Dec 18, 2013

tinaun
Jun 9, 2011

tell me...

friendlyNeurotoxin posted:

Namco High is now online at: http://shiftylook.com/games/namcohigh
The associated store seems to be down at the minute though.

- By the look of things it can't be played yet after all rather than just requiring character codes.

The Crunchyroll store mentions this though:

It's playable, you just have to create a namco id first, then navigate to the game page. If you do it while in game it just drops you off to a store page, and you can't start playing the game.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I like how half of the signup page and confirmation email is in Japanese.

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008
So, wait, the only way to get the HS characters is to either pay $15 for the complete pack, or $5 for a character pack which contains a random HS character?

That's pretty hilarious.

MrBims
Sep 25, 2007

by Ralp
Does it take one out of the pool after you random it? Or is it gonna be like this:

Want Terezi, pay five dollars and get Jane. Pay another five dollars and get Jane again. Figure that the cost of paying another five dollars on the chance of getting Terezi is lower than the cost of buying the whole pack, which at this point would have just been the optimal option in the first place. Pay another five dollars and get Jane.

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

Dating two Janes is fine because they're from different timelines.

Hussie has created the ultimate moneymaker.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Because I'm bad with money and wanted to be the first kid on my block to Date A Homestuck, I decided to pay the 15 bucks and get the whole game pack from WeLoveFine. The whole thing might give me a few laughs at the end of the term. Unfortunately, I purchased it yesterday and haven't gotten an email with the code. So while I wait for customer support to get back to me, who will be the brave soul to tell us what's up with this Namco High business?

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I am a Katamari

Angry Walrus
Aug 31, 2013

Quinn it
to
Win it.
So after doing the Galaga route like any sane person would rush, I decided to go the Davesprite route and holy poo poo is he just oversimplified to "very vocally hates himself and just needs someone to tell him everything's ok," so, uh, good job Namco High team on making sure he'll be even more a hit with the Tumblr crowd?

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Someone just tell me if Terezi is done well so I can decide if I want to pay the $15.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

Man I wrote Virgobound as a fun joke. I didn't think something similar would, like, actually become a thing. That people pay actual money for.

MrBims
Sep 25, 2007

by Ralp

Black August posted:

Man I wrote Virgobound as a fun joke. I didn't think something similar would, like, actually become a thing. That people pay actual money for.

Never heard of Fifty Shades of Grey?

Zutaten
May 8, 2007

What the shit.

Namco High's pretty funny, and then brutally tone-shifts to something intended to be depressing but often comes off as a little try-hard, and then suddenly becomes hilarious again.

I'm really not sure what to think.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Before I spend money on this, how long is the game? Something you play through in ten minutes?

RickoniX
Dec 4, 2005

A human or elf?

NO NOT A BADGER YOU GOON

Zutaten posted:

Namco High's pretty funny, and then brutally tone-shifts to something intended to be depressing but often comes off as a little try-hard, and then suddenly becomes hilarious again.

Davesprite's ending :(

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Zutaten posted:

Oh God it really is a Homestuck

uranium grass
Jan 15, 2005

The arcs for the homestucks are all right but I find Davesprite's really, really depressing. Not in the 'You are endearingly depressed' sort of way but in the 'I'm sad now" way.

studio mujahideen
May 3, 2005

the whole game is depressing, because it's just some cool fanart of namco characters slapped into the UI of a newgrounds dating sim

plus some homestucks you have to gamble for

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
The only Correct ending for a Terezi dating simulator would involve her hog tying the player and handing them off to Vriska to feed spidermom. Then they hi-5.

Ice_Mallet
Feb 22, 2011
I went with Al.B.Tross for the first choice and Meowkie for all the rest. Seemed both funny and depressing at points, but I don't know If I'd spend money since every playthrough is just 20-30 minutes. Just going to play the free characters unless something severely changes in length.

That, and the first interactions you get with Davesprite is an obnoxiously long monologue and Terzei is overtly creepy immediately. Which I guess makes sense, but jeez.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
"I'm going to cut your throat and listen to you bleed while I smell you die."

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

I only played for five minutes on the free version before I got all self-conscious and quit, but I like that Galaga recites Hamlet.

Because Andrew Hussie is friends with Ryan North, who both makes a Shiftylook Galaga comic, and recently published a CYOA book about Hamlet.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

Tollymain posted:

"I'm going to cut your throat and listen to you bleed while I smell you die."

Early Terezi is pretty strange, in retrospect. Not least because Hussie hadn't yet decided on her gender, and so her lines are a lot more 'male' in the first few convos. The character voice is noticeably different.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Also, in internet-trainwreck news, tumblr is trying to get Jeff Gerstmann to quick look this. What a hilarious disaster would that be!?!

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

He should do it, just because it'd be funny as gently caress.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

Bobulus posted:

Also, in internet-trainwreck news, tumblr is trying to get Jeff Gerstmann to quick look this. What a hilarious disaster would that be!?!

It wouldn't be any worse than the other dating sim they have looked at. I bet Jeff would get a kick out of the Galaga ship being a choice.

Zebia
Oct 10, 2012

How's my volume?

PleasingFungus posted:

Early Terezi is pretty strange, in retrospect. Not least because Hussie hadn't yet decided on her gender, and so her lines are a lot more 'male' in the first few convos. The character voice is noticeably different.

I completely forgot voices were a thing with the game. What do you mean by different?

frozentreasure
Nov 13, 2012

~

Zebia posted:

I completely forgot voices were a thing with the game. What do you mean by different?

I think they mean that "gallowsCalibrator's" gender wasn't defined in Homestuck at first.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

This is Newgrounds as gently caress.