Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Karma Comedian
Feb 2, 2012

TVs Ian posted:

Yeah, I've had to call for a few customers here and there, usually it's something fairly simple like somebody at the rebate center keying it in wrong.

Since that was a pre-order, there's also a chance the date on the contract and invoice didn't match up and that kicked it out, but a person should be able to see that and fix it.

This is unbelievably common in my area.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ryanbruce
May 1, 2002

The "Dell Dude"

CrashCat posted:

Surprise surprise, I got a postcard that my rebate on the Nexus 5 preorder was denied. In-loving-credible. Both of the invalid conditions on here are valid, and both should be handled by their stupid loving web page in the first place. I had to get the 2 year contract to get the upgrade discount, and their webpage still says today that there's a $50 rebate for the Nexus 5, so I know the device is correct.

Is it possible that they meant a new 2-yr subscriber agreement, so an upgrade wouldn't count?

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

ryanbruce posted:

Is it possible that they meant a new 2-yr subscriber agreement, so an upgrade wouldn't count?

No. I used to work at a Sprint store and people would bring these post cards in all the time, even when I, myself filled out the mail in rebate form on behalf of the customer and mailed it in. The rebate company basically rejects a certain percentage of rebates for no reason, hoping the customer will be too lazy to fight it, or simply won't know who to call. They're usually right.

The good news is, if you call the right number and speak to someone, they'll typically say you're right, claim the rejection was an error, and push the rebate through. Now this is true as of 2 years ago when I stopped working for Sprint, but I imagine everything is pretty similar considering that's the exact card everyone used to bring in.

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre
Funny, when a person does this instead of a company, it's called fraud.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

LorneReams posted:

It's even better when you realize the U.S. legally considers companies to be people too.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

LorneReams posted:

It's like one of the longest running scams around, I'm surprised there isn't more public outrage about it or some investigative journalism or something.

It's a scam on multiple levels too if you consider the bait and switch of advertising certain prices with "*after mail-in rebate" printed so small that no one can read it.

I'm actually genuinely surprised that consumer protection agencies haven't passed laws requiring the price you pay in store to be printed in advertisements with additional money back underneath it or something.

averox
Feb 28, 2005

:dukedog:
Fun Shoe
MIRs are an amazing shitfest. Like Mahoning said they routinely deny valid MIR applications and that's why it's important to have copies of whatever you send in. They have gotten better but are still terrible. Think about the general nature of them as well. They're a calculated risk that a company takes because they most likely will come out ahead. With MIRs being offered as a gift card, you're more likely to forget to bring it to charge and then it expires and you lose your money.

Just read this Wikipedia article: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rebate_%28marketing%29

quote:

In November 2005, BusinessWeek estimated a return rate of 60 percent. Some estimates have been as low as 2%. For example, nearly half of the 100,000 new TiVo subscribers in 2005 did not redeem their $100 rebates, allowing the company to keep $5,000,000 in additional profit.

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Silly goose, you're here forever.

Hey thanks for the rebate chat, I just checked the status of mine and they had denied it claiming that my mailing address was invalid.

One phone call later and it is (hopefully) sorted. We'll see.

Anonomono
Mar 12, 2013
I'm not sure why but I can receive texts from everyone but when my Mom texts me from her iPhone, I don't seem to recieve it. I've told my friends to text me on their phones (iPhone 5/Blackberry/LG Optimus) and I got them all within a matter of seconds. My old iPhone 5C has iMessage turned off, the SIM is removed and I went to the Apple website to deactivate iMessage on my 5C just to be sure. Even after all that, I still can't receive texts from her. Any idea on what could cause this? I'm on a Nexus 5.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived
Update for the HTC One just pushed out. Not 4.4, just a new radio and a fix for a SIM bug. 4.4.2 is targeted for a 1/20-24 release window.

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.

Anonomono posted:

I'm not sure why but I can receive texts from everyone but when my Mom texts me from her iPhone, I don't seem to recieve it. I've told my friends to text me on their phones (iPhone 5/Blackberry/LG Optimus) and I got them all within a matter of seconds. My old iPhone 5C has iMessage turned off, the SIM is removed and I went to the Apple website to deactivate iMessage on my 5C just to be sure. Even after all that, I still can't receive texts from her. Any idea on what could cause this? I'm on a Nexus 5.

Did you actually remove the old iPhone from your Apple profile? Even if iMessage was turned off, it may still be hanging around in the system. There's a web site you can remove it from.

It might also be worth having your mom delete your conversation in Messages and your contact, and re-add you.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

My Moto X updated to Kit Kat 4.4 today. The wifi and signal bars no longer turn blue to indicate they are sending and receiving data. I do not like this. The phone app is a busy looking piece of poo poo now too. Google does not understand UI's at all. Not a fan of this update so far.

I'm just glad I can still use the original messaging app. The new one that comes with Kit Kat, integrates itself into Googles irrelevant social media service, G+.

I said come in! fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Dec 19, 2013

Allaniis
Jan 22, 2011

I said come in! posted:

My Moto X updated to Kit Kat 4.4 today. The wifi and signal bars no longer turn blue to indicate they are sending and receiving data. I do not like this. The phone app is a busy looking piece of poo poo now too. Google does not understand UI's at all. Not a fan of this update so far.

I'm just glad I can still use the original messaging app. The new one that comes with Kit Kat, integrates itself into Googles irrelevant social media service, G+.

Google's rationale was that the arrows and colors were too confusing to the average user. Therefore, they got rid of it all. Unless you can't connect to Google servers. Then it turns orange. Why orange? Who knows?

bigtom
May 7, 2007

Playing the solid gold hits and moving my liquid lips...
Sprint's network vision is still blurry..."Sprint's LTE Network Sees Worst Latency Scores"

http://www.dslreports.com/shownews/Sprints-LTE-Network-Sees-Worst-Latency-Scores-127071

Not the end of the world, but still just shows that the network is still lagging. Guess I can keep my AT&T hotspot around for awhile now

amenenema
Feb 10, 2003

Allaniis posted:

Google's rationale was that the arrows and colors were too confusing to the average user. Therefore, they got rid of it all. Unless you can't connect to Google servers. Then it turns orange. Why orange? Who knows?

I remember reading it actually chewed up processor to show those arrows. You can just two-finger swipe down to see if there are connectivity issues.

Tedronai66
Aug 24, 2006
Better to Reign in Hell...

amenenema posted:

I remember reading it actually chewed up processor to show those arrows. You can just two-finger swipe down to see if there are connectivity issues.

It was actually this. It was performing a full redraw every time those little arrows flipped. Kinda wasteful and also, why the gently caress are they needed?

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

bigtom posted:

"Sprint's LTE Network Sees Worst Latency Scores"

WHOA 20MS DIFFERENCE I GOT PLACES TO BE

Seriously though, I get consistent sub-50 ms latency whenever I bother to test on LTE. Waaaaay better than the multiple seconds on 3G from last year.

bigtom
May 7, 2007

Playing the solid gold hits and moving my liquid lips...

sirbeefalot posted:

WHOA 20MS DIFFERENCE I GOT PLACES TO BE

Seriously though, I get consistent sub-50 ms latency whenever I bother to test on LTE. Waaaaay better than the multiple seconds on 3G from last year.

Yeah...they are being nitpicky in the article. Most of my tests on LTE are about 80 ms (in NYC where I have it...Jersey not so much) - my big gripe with Sprint LTE is going from full coverage to 3G to 1x within the span of 1 mile in many cases.

Hopefully Sprint just focuses on fixing their network, instead of trying to nab T-Mobile. 'Cause it's hit or miss compared to VZW, with prices that are slowly starting to match...

averox
Feb 28, 2005

:dukedog:
Fun Shoe
Unless you're playing some kind of FPS game off of tethering do you really care about sub-150ms latency? Which is hilarious because some of my old 2011 Speedtest results were in the 200-550ms range.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

DISH and Sprint to Deploy a Trial Wireless Broadband Service - in the test market of Corpus Christi, TX.

Prescription Combs
Apr 20, 2005
More 800Mhz LTE acceptance updates:

:woop:

quote:

Band 26 (LTE 800) Acceptances
December 17, 2013

Chicago - 2
Houston - 116
Jacksonville - 1
Kansas - 23
North Wisconsin - 7

saintonan
Dec 7, 2009

Fields of glory shine eternal

This is bizarre, since both DISH and Sprint are absolute poo poo quality in Corpus Christi. It'll be interesting to see if they actually upgrade the infrastructure or just roll out the plan as is to fail miserably.

Krime
Jul 30, 2003

Somebody has to do the scoring around here.

Prescription Combs posted:

More 800Mhz LTE acceptance updates:

:woop:

This means better building penetration, right?

That's really my number one concern with Sprint.

Prescription Combs
Apr 20, 2005

Krime posted:

This means better building penetration, right?

That's really my number one concern with Sprint.

Absolutely.

general chaos
May 20, 2001
Only for the phones capable of taking advantage of it.

Spark phones, new releases henceforth.

The recently released LG G2 and Nexus 5 still need a patch in order to take advantage of the towers available.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

general chaos posted:

The recently released LG G2 and Nexus 5 still need a patch in order to take advantage of the towers available.

Doesn't the SGS3 support 800 MHz?

Edit: only for CDMA apparently

Vykk.Draygo fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Dec 22, 2013

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!
How's the Samsung Windows 8 phone? I've about reached the point where I'm no longer willing to put up with my EVO 3D any more. I was leaning towards the 5S, but given my smartphone history (Palm Pre and an EVO 3D) that doesn't seem like it could end up being nearly regrettable enough down the road to fit with my pattern.

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

Q_res posted:

How's the Samsung Windows 8 phone? I've about reached the point where I'm no longer willing to put up with my EVO 3D any more. I was leaning towards the 5S, but given my smartphone history (Palm Pre and an EVO 3D) that doesn't seem like it could end up being nearly regrettable enough down the road to fit with my pattern.

It's noticeably heavier, thicker, and has a smaller battery than the GS3. With similar specs and capabilities. That phone is almost 2 years old now. It's better than the HTC phone. I'd heavily suggest the Nexus 5 or Moto X over the Samsung WP.

They will give a similar clean OS experience to Windows Phone and are great devices.

Allaniis
Jan 22, 2011
The only Windows Phones worth getting now are Lumias, which Sprint does not carry. Don't buy a non Nokia.

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

The 8XT has been fine for WinPho. Radio is fine, battery lasts all day. Screen is a bit sensitive with non-intuitive edges for scrolling. No complaints about it otherwise.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Only Nokia makes new Windows phones now right?

The thing that sucks about Windows phones, is your only real option from what I can find, is a 6" phone. It looks like a real powerful phone though, but 6" is insane.

I said come in! fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Dec 23, 2013

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

I said come in! posted:

Only Nokia makes new Windows phones now right?

The last non Nokia phones were awhile ago, but even 920/925 is pretty long in the tooth. The 1020 is a rebadged 920 with an extra Gig of ram for the awesome camera. Right now WP is kind of in a lull and soon the Snapdragon 800 phones should start hitting and that should be a pretty huge increase in performance and battery life. Right now the only Snapdragon 800 phone is the phablet.

I'd hold of on any windows phone right now.

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

I wear my sunglasses at night.
Evansville, IN still hates me. Finally got fed up enough by it to flash 00001 PRL for the duration of my stay. We'll see how that does for me. Not terribly worried about excessive roaming... just want to be able to utilize NORMAL data usage. This is ridiculous.

td4guy
Jun 13, 2005

I always hated that guy.

brc64 posted:

Evansville, IN still hates me. Finally got fed up enough by it to flash 00001 PRL for the duration of my stay. We'll see how that does for me. Not terribly worried about excessive roaming... just want to be able to utilize NORMAL data usage. This is ridiculous.
Yeah it looks like almost all the Evansville towers have LTE. But their 3G EVDO/voice stuff is still connected to the overloaded old crappy copper backhaul. They're still waiting for a handful of towers to get backhaul, then they'll switch everything over to the LTE fiber backhaul all at once.

zeek40
Mar 3, 2007
Got tired of Palin. You're welcome.

general chaos posted:

Is that the firmware update I had pushed to my phone (LG G2) a few days ago or something I have to manually look for?

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

zeek40 posted:

Is that the firmware update I had pushed to my phone (LG G2) a few days ago or something I have to manually look for?

As far as I know, it doesn't exist yet. Unless somebody released one unofficially.

I just switched the to G2 myself thanks to Sprint offering them to dealers for $100. I decided I really don't like the LG software, but after switching to Nova Launcher and Swiftkey and disabling the clutter on the notification shade, I think I'm ok with it. Just need to find a plainer SMS app, I don't care for the themes they use.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

TVs Ian posted:

As far as I know, it doesn't exist yet. Unless somebody released one unofficially.

I just switched the to G2 myself thanks to Sprint offering them to dealers for $100. I decided I really don't like the LG software, but after switching to Nova Launcher and Swiftkey and disabling the clutter on the notification shade, I think I'm ok with it. Just need to find a plainer SMS app, I don't care for the themes they use.

Just use hangouts.

td4guy
Jun 13, 2005

I always hated that guy.

Uhhhh... that rumor just got a lot more real.
http://finance.yahoo.com/news/softbank-gets-closer-buying-t-181936591.html

quote:

(Reuters) - Japan-based SoftBank Corp (TYO:9984) is in final stages of talks with T-Mobile (TMUS.N)parent company Deutsche Telekom (DTE.DE)about acquiring the U.S.-based wireless carrier, the Nikkei news service reported on Tuesday, citing anonymous sources.

SoftBank, which purchased 80 percent of Sprint (NYS:S) earlier this year, wants to pay for T-Mobile using shares of Sprint as early as next spring in a deal worth more than $19 billion

Karma Comedian
Feb 2, 2012

My IAE was in store today and said there was a lot of "real talk" about it, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

EbolaIvory posted:

Just use hangouts.

Oh good, I had an old version on this phone, didn't know I could do SMS on it. I hated the huge waste of space bubbles on the default one. Though the "chicken and bunny" option was... Something.