Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.

The Dark One posted:

Forget Jake, Sisko's already a hipster. He cooks actual food and plays around with outdated space ships and obscure sports that he's sure you've never heard of.

Alexander Siddig El Tahir El Fadil El Siddig Abderrahman Mohammed Ahmed Abdel Karim El Mahdi named his kid Django. DJANGO. If that ain't hipster as poo poo I don't know what is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

QVC Drinking Game posted:

He's not super prolific but I feel like I've seen him in major movies more than I have any other latter-day Trek actor except Stewart. He seems to be the go-to guy for "sympathetic Arab supporting actor" (Kingdom of Heaven, Syriana).

Actually, looking at Siddig's IMDb profile, he's been fairly active with regular work since DS9. He's certainly more prolific than his co-stars, and has regularly appeared in British shows with wide audiences in the Commonwealth nations.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Didn't I read that Django is, like, the #1 most popular boy's baby name this year or something?

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Data Graham posted:

Didn't I read that Django is, like, the #1 most popular boy's baby name this year or something?

Internet says #10.

It said #1 was Asher, which...just makes me want to punch someone in the face. Someone named Asher. But one that's not a baby. It's like there's some sort of instinctive urge to pick on anyone with that name.

So I'm watching that TNG where Geordi is cloaked. Why didn't he get the idea to start writing things with his hand in the wall so that Data would detect it when he was scanning for the fields?

Sash! fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Dec 18, 2013

Angry Walrus
Aug 31, 2013

Quinn it
to
Win it.
If specific patterns in the particles were detectable, I think Data would have seen that there were humanoid-shaped spots all over the ship.

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

He could have just, y'know, used a space-Sharpie. :v:

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?
There is so many great Christmas gifts here http://www.startrek.com/article/first-look-exclusive-voyager-products-in-the-star-trek-shop

Serella
Apr 24, 2008

Is that what you're posting?

The Dark One posted:

Forget Jake, Sisko's already a hipster. He cooks actual food and plays around with outdated space ships and obscure sports that he's sure you've never heard of.

Everyone in Star Trek is a hipster. Jadzia plays tongo, Bashir pretends to be a 1960s spy in the holosuite, Nog becomes the only Ferengi in Starfleet, Picard studies obscure alien anthropology, Data writes cat poems, Paris watches tv... They have to come up with all these weird ways to either live anachronistically or make themselves stand out from everyone else because everything is handed to them and it's so easy to end up just being the guy who stands in front of a console and eats replicated food and dies on away missions.

So basically the same as hipsters now but in space.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Anyone who buys anything shown there is asking for a beating.

Vengeance of Pandas
Sep 8, 2008

THE TERRIBLE POST WENT THATAWAY!
So post scarcity Utopia will make hipsters of us all... still worth it.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Vagabundo posted:

I'm so tempted to buy that Janeway shirt as a gag gift for someone I know who's suffering her way through Voyager now, but I don't want to support Voyager. Tough decision.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Vagabundo posted:

Even this fine specimen of literary wonder?

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

I can just imagine the assault trial now:

"Your honour, he was wearing a Voyager hoodie, a Janeway t-shirt and he was reading this very book!"
"Not guilty!"

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

If this is anything other than pages upon pages of Kirk nailing 7 it sucks.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

If Neelix doesn't get beheaded in a most painful and excruciating manner by Klingons, the pages it's printed on are worth less than used toilet paper.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

DemeaninDemon posted:

If this is anything other than pages upon pages of Kirk nailing 7 it sucks.

Kirk cocked an eyebrow and cast her a sideways glance, "I'm sure that your people...have...assimilated much knowledge of the ways that human...beings...makelovetoeachother?" He took a forceful step towards her. With a sly smile, Kirk suggested "Perhaps a demonstration would be in order?"

what have I done

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

i wrote a movie

Captain Geordi LaForge and first officer Commander Reginald Barclay, along with an intrepid crew, are roaming the galaxy in the USS Travis Mayweather. The captain and first officer are both in private holosuites. Suddenly, Voyager sends an emergency hail: Captain Chakotay has discovered, using Borg-enhanced sensors, the Remans and a rogue micro-collective of Borg have allied and gathered on a planet to create a super weapon. The USS Travis Mayweather rushes to join Voyager, where both have a mighty showdown with a badass Borg-Reman orbital defense grid. They're too late, and the weapon opens a time-rift. The crews of both ships end up in Archer's time, during the activation of the Xindi weapon. Geordi, Barclay, Chakotay, Commander Seven of Nine and Ensign Harry Kim hijack the Xindi weapon and use it to ride a temporal wave forward into the future, to seconds before the Borg/Reman superweapon goes off. The Xindi weapon needs one person on board to attack and destroy the Borg-Reman colony and the superweapon: Ensign Harry Kim, one day away from promotion, heroically gives his life to save the universe.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Brawnfire posted:

i wrote a movie

Captain Geordi LaForge and first officer Commander Reginald Barclay, along with an intrepid crew, are roaming the galaxy in the USS Travis Mayweather. The captain and first officer are both in private holosuites. Suddenly, Voyager sends an emergency hail: Captain Chakotay has discovered, using Borg-enhanced sensors, the Remans and a rogue micro-collective of Borg have allied and gathered on a planet to create a super weapon. The USS Travis Mayweather rushes to join Voyager, where both have a mighty showdown with a badass Borg-Reman orbital defense grid. They're too late, and the weapon opens a time-rift. The crews of both ships end up in Archer's time, during the activation of the Xindi weapon. Geordi, Barclay, Chakotay, Commander Seven of Nine and Ensign Harry Kim hijack the Xindi weapon and use it to ride a temporal wave forward into the future, to seconds before the Borg/Reman superweapon goes off. The Xindi weapon needs one person on board to attack and destroy the Borg-Reman colony and the superweapon: Ensign Harry Kim, one day away from promotion, heroically gives his life to save the universe.

Still a better movie than Nemesis.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

Trent posted:

As I'm currently sitting here watching Move Along Home, I got a bit of a Cube vibe from Sisko waking up inside the game.

Alamarane!

From the last page, but I went to law school with the lady who played the space-hopscotching child in that episode. She doesn't like to talk about it.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Your Honor, I object! My esteemed colleague, the learned council for the defense, did not, in fact, count to four, thus invalidating her counting three more. Her assertion that the players have moved along to shap three is entirely frivolous.

Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

Brawnfire posted:

i wrote a movie

Switch that from Harry Kim to O'Brien, cause him to be stuck in a temporal loop of re-living the explosion over and over.

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x141 KERNEL PANIC

DemeaninDemon posted:

Switch that from Harry Kim to O'Brien, cause him to be stuck in a temporal loop of re-living the explosion over and over.

Only if they rescue him in the sequel after he's lived millions of years through the loop, remembering every bit :allears:

SombreroAgnew
Sep 22, 2004

unlimited rice pudding

Kazy posted:

Only if they rescue him in the sequel after he's lived millions of years through the loop, remembering every bit :allears:
And it is immediately forgotten and has no effect on anything.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
Gotta smug about this:

:smug:

Not so smug: initially the wrong link, argh.

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

eriktown posted:

Gotta smug about this:

:smug:

Not so smug: initially the wrong link, argh.

By the time I have an actual job with possibly enough money and time to get the autographs of the TOS/TNG/DS9 cast members, half of them will probably be dead :argh:

Fake edit: They can all die afterwards though that's fine

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Farecoal posted:

By the time I have an actual job with possibly enough money and time to get the autographs of the TOS/TNG/DS9 cast members, half of them will probably be dead :argh:

Fake edit: They can all die afterwards though that's fine

I can't take credit for rounding up all the signatures. This was a gift (to my wife, actually; it's not properly mine, though it hangs in my office because reasons and also awesome).

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Kazy posted:

SombreroAgnew posted:

And it is immediately forgotten and has no effect on anything.

O'Brien, shrieking, hair bright white, long nails scratching at his yellowed eyes.

"Longer than you think, Keiko! Longer than you think!"

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Sash! posted:

Kirk cocked an eyebrow and cast her a sideways glance, "I'm sure that your people...have...assimilated much knowledge of the ways that human...beings...makelovetoeachother?" He took a forceful step towards her. With a sly smile, Kirk suggested "Perhaps a demonstration would be in order?"

what have I done

Kirk is the best 10/10 would read again

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

So, Galaxy's Child. Ignoring the creepy Geordi stuff, Troi has the most useless ability ever. What good is an empath if you can't tell that an alien thing is feeling threatened? She could've warned them to back the gently caress off. But she sucks and is useless, so

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

1st AD posted:

So, Galaxy's Child. Ignoring the creepy Geordi stuff, Troi has the most useless ability ever. What good is an empath if you can't tell that an alien thing is feeling threatened? She could've warned them to back the gently caress off. But she sucks and is useless, so

Face of the Enemy is the only episode I can think of where she's actually competent (except for a brief bit in The Neutral Zone)

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Farecoal posted:

Face of the Enemy is the only episode I can think of where she's actually competent (except for a brief bit in The Neutral Zone)

She's briefly useful when they're deprogramming Geordi, maybe?

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Does being a womb for alien tinkerbell entities count as useful?

Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

Trent posted:

Does being a womb for alien tinkerbell entities count as useful?

It certainly does not.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?
Does being the cake from a Tom Petty music video count as being useful?

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Sometimes she can tell that weeping people are upset or that yelling people are angry sooooo...

Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx
She made a plot point in Nemesis even worse. That removes about 250 usefulnesses.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

The thing Troi is most useful for is lighting up cigarettes between takes, bringing her tiny dog to set, drinking a bunch of beer, and otherwise being a loving hooligan right up until the director says action.

Man, I wish Troi had turned out more like Marina :allears:

Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

Laughter is the sun that drives winter from the human race

bobkatt013 posted:

Does being the cake from a Tom Petty music video count as being useful?

Every party needs a cake. Even if it has terrible mint frosting.

I want to hear more about this hooligan Marina.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

kelvron posted:

Every party needs a cake. Even if it has terrible mint frosting.
If you want one, you can get it in New Vertiform City.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

She was the second point of reference that was supposed to tell us that Jellico was a meany Hitler. He wanted the crew on a slightly different schedule rotation, and wanted her to wear normal pants.

• Locked thread