Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

I have a feeling that Pact is going to be a lot of rear end in a top hat Wizards doing stuff via handwave. My problems with it are that Ra already does that and I like a story about engineering your way to success better than one about magic-ing your way to success, even if it's story fueled mad science. For me, Boil has a base of relatability that Pact lacks, however shaky it may be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Plus Boil showed signs of becoming a private detective story.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

wiegieman posted:

I have a feeling that Pact is going to be a lot of rear end in a top hat Wizards doing stuff via handwave. My problems with it are that Ra already does that and I like a story about engineering your way to success better than one about magic-ing your way to success, even if it's story fueled mad science. For me, Boil has a base of relatability that Pact lacks, however shaky it may be.

Worm managed to handle non-science-based abilities without resorting to handwaves, though. The only people whose powers really felt handwavey were Bonesaw and maybe Panacea, and their powers were biology based. The potential problems with Pact are more the lack of anything that particularly stands out about the characters or setting so far.

Also, is it just me or does Wildbow really like the idea of conspiracies with seemingly limitless resources? It's enough to make me wonder if he's a conspiracy theorist in real life. (Of course, because he's an actually good writer, he eventually showed us where Cauldron gets their stuff from and the things they can't do.)

Silver2195 fucked around with this message at 05:53 on Dec 18, 2013

why oh WHY
Apr 25, 2012

So like I said, not my fault. Nobody can judge me for it.
But, yeah...
Okay.
I admit it.
Human teenager Rainbow Dash was hot!

Neurosis posted:

It's a long serial so it will be a long time before I am enlightened as the rest. Feel free to laugh at my posts until then.

Regent is cool in addition to Tattletale because he is such a beautiful oval office. What he did to Shadow Stalker when he first possessed her felt completely appropriate and I found it hard to feel too disgusted.

I didn't mean it in an insulting way, more it's awesome when someone starts reading because I almost get to experience it all over again through the thread.

I definitely prefer Pact over all of the other samples out so far except for maybe Face which is never going to outpace Boil, so Pact gets my vote.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
Pact 2 is up. My thoughts:

• The landlord's "Quebecois accent," combined with the "aboriginal" woman in the previous chapter, makes me think Jacob's Bell is in Canada.
  • We get more of a sense of what Blake is like when he's not around his family. He seems to be a pretty nice person most of the time.
  • Being Rose must be pretty horrifying.
  • Monsters always make your cell phone stop working.
  • This chapter is actually pretty scary. The setting is still a bit generic, though.

I still prefer Face.

Silver2195 fucked around with this message at 07:38 on Dec 21, 2013

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
Pact really isn't clicking with me. I think possibly it's just poor editing, I'm getting really confused with who's which character; I can't even work out what gender the main character's supposed to be.

Boil was probably my favourite so far, and I like detective stories in fantasy settings, so if it does turn out to be that it'll be fun. Needs a proper noir intro though.

thespaceinvader fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Dec 21, 2013

Fellwenner
Oct 21, 2005
Don't make me kill you.

Main character is a male, I'm guessing around 18/19.

This chapter had some good tension. I dislike urban fantasy wherein the 'fantasy' is a known and open part of the world, so pushing for something like this where everything is hidden would be my initial choice, but Boil's setting is the more vivid and interesting of the four.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

See, I thought that, but then there's lines where mirror-girl says she IS the main character and is female and named Rose. I guess she's an alternate version or something, but the whole thing comes across a bit confused to me.

Happy Yeti
Jun 1, 2011
Rose specifically says she's him with 'one fundamental difference', that she's a girl (and not completely real, I guess). There was also this whole deal in the first chapter where Blake couldn't inherit because he's a guy. That's the trick his grandmother pulled with Rose: she got around the no guys rule by somehow creating a female version of him to inherit the house.

I really like Pact, even though the genre isn't something I'm all that interested in. Boil was fun too, and Peer wasn't bad, at least with the twist at the end. Face also was more interesting than I expected, but I'm not sure it would work out. Face seems like it needs a lot of planning and has a kind of time limit.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Ah, that makes sense - and the girls-only thing also makes sense given the conceit of witchcraft of some kind, but nonetheless - if feel like there's a lot less to make Pact stand out, thus far, even than Peer.

The Ol Spicy Keychain
Jan 17, 2013

I MEPHISTO MY OWN ASSHOLE
Haven't read a single post in this thread because I am only on Arc 8 atm, but I just wanted to make a comment.

“The only authority you have is the authority people give you.”

Holy poo poo, I don't ever want Grue to go away. He is such an awesome character. Him and Tattletale :getin:

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

Scent of Worf posted:

Haven't read a single post in this thread because I am only on Arc 8 atm, but I just wanted to make a comment.

“The only authority you have is the authority people give you.”

Holy poo poo, I don't ever want Grue to go away. He is such an awesome character. Him and Tattletale :getin:

I am up to arc 16 and he gets more interesting. It is cool.

Still prefer Regent and Tattletale, though.

Update on my progress (spoilered for Scent of Worf): I found the Slaughterhouse Nine arc oddly unsatisfying compared to the earlier stuff. The superheroics just didn't feel that great. Siberian I found a little creepy and the Cauldron conspiracy Legend is looking into seem pretty interesting, though. My only current thought is that Eidolon, Cauldron etc are playing some long game where the death of half the world's population is necessary, but I am probably completely off base given how little information I have to work with.

I'm finding Taylor a bit irritating at this point. I actually don't like how prepossessed she is in all her dealings and how she plans everything out. It also feels like she has no sense of humour whatsoever.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

Taylor honestly doesn't have a sense of humor, but to be fair to her she's a fairly broken person who's under constant crushing pressure thanks to the life she's chosen to lead, so she doesn't really have time for a sense of humor anyway.

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

I am really surprised Wildbow posted Pact 3 today, but I guess he doesn't want to ruin his perfect streak. Not complaining.

Pact 2 was legit scary though and I can't stop myself from reading the stories when they are posted, so late at night. This new chapter was not so scary and I'm a sucker for world-building so it made me most excited. I think it might be worth reading scary things. :ohdear:

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Pact 3 I found a lot more interesting that pact 2 - I just couldn't get my head round the action in 2 I think. I'd read Pact, but I think I'd prefer Boil.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

NecroMonster posted:

Taylor honestly doesn't have a sense of humor, but to be fair to her she's a fairly broken person who's under constant crushing pressure thanks to the life she's chosen to lead, so she doesn't really have time for a sense of humor anyway.

It does make her less likeable to read about, though.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Pact feels like an RPG or video game novelization.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Neurosis posted:

I'm finding Taylor a bit irritating at this point. I actually don't like how prepossessed she is in all her dealings and how she plans everything out. It also feels like she has no sense of humour whatsoever.

Spoilers: Kids tend to grow up kind of hallow and lacking in sunshine when you dump a poo poo-load of trauma on them at a critical point in their development. The spiderman style wiseass might be more fun, but it's also not what tends to actually happen when you take a young teen a force them through a bunch of adult level problems way too quickly.

They reason I find Taylor to be sympathetic and relatable isn't so much that she's super endearing, it's that she feels like a genuine attempt to extrapolate what a kid in her situation would be like. She's closer to a child soldier than a superhero.

Kalas
Jul 27, 2007

withak posted:

Pact feels like an RPG or video game novelization.

Once I read this, I realized the vibe I was getting from Pact reminded me of Eternal Darkness. That's actually a good thing, though I liked Face's 'Battle Royal with virtual augmentation' more.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Eh, my take on it is that I have enjoyed all of the offerings so far, so it comes down to which story Wildbow would enjoy doing most. They didn't like Peer, and Boil (though very interesting) is something that covers a lot of scientific stuff they're not familiar with. I can't remember what their thoughts were on Face after posting a couple chapters. Hmm.

Mr. Bad Guy
Jun 28, 2006
I was afraid to post in here, but I finally finished Worm. What an incredible read. Now I'm working myself to read through it again to see all the foreshadowing and references (always my favorite part of reading somethign new).

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Go check out Wildbow's personal blog, they've been posting up previews of the concepts they're considering next.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
The latest chapter of Pact was actually good. The main character isn't going to be in the dark about everything and there are clear directions for the plot to go in.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Took a look through the comments.

God I hate tropers.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Tollymain posted:

God I hate tropers.

I've always thought of them as a slightly greasier incarnation of Pratchett's Auditors.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Skippy McPants posted:

I've always thought of them as a slightly greasier incarnation of Pratchett's Auditors.

I think Tollymain is thinking of Mayhem from the Pact 3 comments, who is perhaps the opposite of an Auditor. :gonk:

There were a bunch of people, at least one of whom was a troper, who were the same about Skitter/Tattletale when Worm was running.

Silver2195 fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Dec 26, 2013

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006
What am I missing by not reading the comments sections? Apparently there was Worm fanfiction being posted in the Worm comments; have things degenerated so quickly with these new stories?

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Grundulum posted:

What am I missing by not reading the comments sections? Apparently there was Worm fanfiction being posted in the Worm comments; have things degenerated so quickly with these new stories?

To be clear, the creepy posters are a minority. They're just fun to make fun of.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

I hope Wildbow has a story picked soon. I stopped reading the excerpts because I was really liking each of them and didn't want to 'invest' in a story that won't go anywhere.

Grouchy Fish
Aug 24, 2006
About a week ago, I believe, Wildbow said he was pretty sure he would be going ahead with Pact. He said the research/in character dialogue of Boil would make it difficult to write and he wasn't confident enough to continue Peer's story. He said his plan's for Face are to make it into a graphic novel if he can find an artist with enough dedication. That seems like it would be really cool and I hope something comes of it.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

I'm not even sure I'd read Pact if that's the result. Wildbow is a good writer, but Urban fantasy is pretty well trod. I'd be way more interested in the Voltaic revolution.

Fellwenner
Oct 21, 2005
Don't make me kill you.

To expand on Grouchy's post, his rough expectation for the next couple of stories is approximately one year per.

Here, I found the comment:

Wildbow posted:

Pact 3 on Tues. Where I cut the last two short, it’s more because they were going to be more of the same, without a good ability to jump straight into the next pertinent area needing sampling (ie. the detective story for Boil and the Night Game for Face).

Once Pact 3 goes up, I’ve got two more installments before the new year. I’m not sure what you guys want me to do with ‘em. I could just go ahead & jump into the samples for Boil and Face, but I’m really not feeling those stories & I’m sort of already figuring out the game plan I want to go ahead with.

Boil, I think I could be a lot more comfortable writing if I did it after Pact wrapped up. Now, I’m not setting anything in stone, but I’m ballparking these stories at about 1-1.5 years. 1 year of Pact, 1 year of Boil, for example. The thing that people like most is the setting, and that gives me more freedom to tweak things and change them around with character and plot.

I’m sort of feeling like Face is a story I’d rather collaborate with a artist on, to do a webcomic, rather than a serial. I’d need someone I could work with, who I knew would be as serious about schedule as I was, but yeah, and it would have to wait until I found my stride with the new serial & with the editing process of getting Worm up to snuff. It’d help gloss over some of the issues I’m having in conveying consistent setting, by placing more of an emphasis on visuals vs. prose. If I could pull it off, it’d be a cool side project, and it’d answer some questions I have about webcomics vs. serials & how they grow & evolve.

But, again, it’s contingent on finding an artist I know could handle it in the long haul. Someone passionate about the work and the ideas, with a good style and ethic.

Peer… I know I want to write a fantasy story, and I know I want to hit a few of the high notes that people consistently liked about Peer, but it’s going to take time and some reinvention before I go there.

Fellwenner fucked around with this message at 11:29 on Dec 27, 2013

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

wiegieman posted:

I'm not even sure I'd read Pact if that's the result. Wildbow is a good writer, but Urban fantasy is pretty well trod. I'd be way more interested in the Voltaic revolution.

I don't get this mindset. I read Wildbow's work because he's a good writer. Why would a change in genre make you stop reading good work?

Globofglob
Jan 14, 2008
This is pretty disappointing. Pact has a decent premise after 3, but it's main character is the weakest of all of them. His only defining feature is his hatred of his family. He's boring as gently caress otherwise. In contrast, Peers Caspar is a fat goonlord who sees people's souls and is hated by everyone, Face's Wes is manipulative and mentally hosed up, Boil's protaganist is clever enough to smuggle out a contraband octopus in her stomach and break out of a prison. Blake's just the blandest of all of them.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
That's not really Blake's only feature though. Just off the top of my head:

He doesn't like conflict. He chose to live on the streets instead of spending any more time around the family feuding.
He has a lot of people he owes, in big or little ways.
He can keep his head in bad situations. He didn't freak out and flee when the birdskull stuff first started happening. Some people are saying that's an unnatural reaction, I just think it illustrates a facet of his character.
He bottles up his responses to situations. He doesn't show much anger, he doesn't show much fear, but he's still feeling both inside.

That's several days after a single read of the story, split into three parts over a week and a day.

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP FOREVER.
Hey, I really want to read Worm on my Kindle. Any way to do this?

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Not officially and the author prefers people not to, but a goon will be along in a sec to explain how to scrape the database and sideload it anyway.

This probably ought to be in the OP if it's not already.

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP FOREVER.
Thank you and future thank you to oncoming Goon.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Tollymain posted:

I don't get this mindset. I read Wildbow's work because he's a good writer. Why would a change in genre make you stop reading good work?

Because a retread of generic urban fantasy plot #12 is uninteresting regardless of who writes it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Tollymain posted:

There are lots of good authors working in the genre, a number of the better than Wildbow, and my time is finite. There are far fewer authors making more exciting stuff (to me) like Boil.

• Locked thread