Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Breaky posted:

He asked if it was absolutely essential to let them thaw first. It's not.

Just because something was in the danger zone while it was going from being frozen to being actively cooked doesn't mean its more dangerous. The whole 'danger zone' bullshit is just the optimum temp range that pathogens will actually grow in. If you're going from well below that to well above that, and cooking it for a long time on top of that, there's no danger.

Whether or not one should slow cook chicken breasts in the 1st place is an argument I wasn't going to go into.

Edit: No danger unless you magically stopped the temp for hours and hours in the 'danger zone' which a slow cooker isn't doing.

They stay within the danger zone for longer than the acceptable amount of time if you put too much frozen chicken into a slow cooker on low. Telling people in a new foodist thread that it's fine without qualifying that statement is a bad thing to do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Edit: forget it

That Works fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Dec 16, 2013

Psychobabble
Jan 17, 2006

Nicol Bolas posted:

Reality check: How horrible of an idea is it to make risotto with sushi rice? They're both short-grain and chow.com indicates it should be fine, but I also saw someone suggesting that calrose was fine for sushi rice, which seems deeply wrong to me. I trust goons more. Terrible idea or genius idea?

I wouldn't call it genius, but it will work fine.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

I make :effort: risotto with calrose all the time. Works fine.

rj54x
Sep 16, 2007
I've been called on to cook Christmas Eve dinner for part of the extended family this year. I have everything pretty well laid out, but I still need a main, and it has to be meat. Complicating matters more, the patriarch of the family doesn't like poultry. My first thought was to do a large beef rib roast, but when I did that a few years ago half of the (extremely white, extremely midwestern) family asked for medium-well to well done, and I refuse to ruin expensive meat like that again. Any other suggestions for meat dishes suitable for a group of 11-12?

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Pork! Hard to go wrong with a spiral ham, easy prep, no rare vs well-done conflict, crowd pleasing. If you actually want to cook some pork, roast a pork loin; most people who eat overcooked beef can't recognize rare pork.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Braise short ribs? Or do this?

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

So I accidentally left a whole chicken (one of those young roasters) at room temperature (in its original plastic casing) for like.. most of a day. Garbage, right?

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Me in Reverse posted:

So I accidentally left a whole chicken (one of those young roasters) at room temperature (in its original plastic casing) for like.. most of a day. Garbage, right?

Yes

kinmik
Jul 17, 2011

Dog, what are you doing? Get away from there.
You don't even have thumbs.
Trying to make my family some gluten-free biscotti for Christmas, but all the recipes* call for almond flour/meal. Can I directly substitute gluten-free AP flour for the almond meal?

*specifically these
http://alldayidreamaboutfood.com/2013/10/cinnamon-roll-biscotti-low-carb-and-gluten-free.html
http://www.elanaspantry.com/cranberry-chocolate-biscotti/

xcdude24
Dec 23, 2008
Can anyone suggest a way to efficiently break apart palm sugar? Grating it is a major pain.

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009

xcdude24 posted:

Can anyone suggest a way to efficiently break apart palm sugar? Grating it is a major pain.

I just chop mine?

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

xcdude24 posted:

Hammer and chisel? Seriously. If you don't have those, meat mallet (or rolling pin) and a nail will work.

paraquat
Nov 25, 2006

Burp

xcdude24 posted:

Wrap it up and throw it from a high building?

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun
Will Zeus smite me if I use lime juice in this tzatziki sauce? I'm out of lemons.

Appl
Feb 4, 2002

where da white womens at?

chunkles posted:

Will Zeus smite me if I use lime juice in this tzatziki sauce? I'm out of lemons.

Do you want to eat lime flavoured yogurt? If so then go for it.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

chunkles posted:

Use some apple cider vinegar instead.

Sexual Aluminum
Jun 21, 2003

is made of candy
Soiled Meat
I need a recipe for a main dish to take to a work potluck. Ideally, it has to taste decent, be cheap, and feed a bunch of people. Being able to transport is a plus.

Anyone have any ideas? I brought pulled pork before, but I'd like to avoid repeating dishes.

onionradish
Jul 6, 2006

That's spicy.
I like me a zesty pickle, one that has some spice and a little heat to it. The 'zesty' store-bought ones I get are a little weak. The flavor's fine; they're just not spicy enough.

Can I add something to the store-bought jar brine, like red pepper flakes or peppercorns to make 'em like I want 'em?

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Sexual Aluminum posted:

I need a recipe for a main dish to take to a work potluck. Ideally, it has to taste decent, be cheap, and feed a bunch of people. Being able to transport is a plus.

Anyone have any ideas? I brought pulled pork before, but I'd like to avoid repeating dishes.

Pulled pork is one of my go to's for that too. If not that, a big pot of jambalaya or gumbo. Easy to make a lot of and you can use really cheap meats with good effect.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

onionradish posted:

I like me a zesty pickle, one that has some spice and a little heat to it. The 'zesty' store-bought ones I get are a little weak. The flavor's fine; they're just not spicy enough.

Can I add something to the store-bought jar brine, like red pepper flakes or peppercorns to make 'em like I want 'em?

Yes.

Consider going and picking up a giant bag of Korean chile powder. This stuff: http://www.maangchi.com/ingredient/hot-pepper-flakes

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

I'm making pinto beans. The recipe calls for salt pork simmered with the beans. I put the recipe amount in and I'm left with a little nub. Is there anything I can do with it in the beans?

I'm thinking of dicing it up and fryig it with onion and throwing it in with the cooked beans. Good idea? Bad idea?

Turkeybone
Dec 9, 2006

:chef: :eng99:
Pretty much the best of ideas.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Sexual Aluminum posted:

Tabbouleh.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

onionradish posted:

I add red pepper flakes sometimes, and I add dried jalapeño sometimes.

That Korean dried pepper looks tasty.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

It's delicious, but it's not terribly hot. Indian hot pepper powder is hotter.

Very Strange Things
May 21, 2008

xcdude24 posted:

Spice grinder. (Little 15 dollar coffee grinder, but use it for palm sugar.) That, or one of those weird twisty things potheads have?

a dozen swans
Aug 24, 2012

Very Strange Things posted:

Spice grinder. (Little 15 dollar coffee grinder, but use it for palm sugar.) That, or one of those weird twisty things potheads have?

Burr grinders, and home espresso people use them too (allegedly).

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

xcdude24 posted:

I always break off a chunk and bash it up with my mortar and pestle.

Ghostpilot
Jun 22, 2007

"As a rule, I never touch anything more sophisticated and delicate than myself."
This may be a ridiculous question but here goes: my sister's girlfriend expressed an interest in baking and was thinking of getting a marble board and marble rolling pin.

I've decided to get her both for Christmas, but in looking around it seems that the prices of them vary wildly. Is there any particular thing I should look for in a pastry board and rolling pin?

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

xcdude24 posted:

Heavy pestle and mortar. Make sure you store it airtight so the moisture doesn't leak out or it'll be brick hard.

Julio Cesar Fatass
Jul 24, 2007

"...."
I made pork chop pilaf last night but I think it's missing something.

I browned some pork chops, set them aside, added

Cinnamon
Turmeric
Cumin seed
Ground coriander seed
Onion
Garlic
Diced chile

to the pan. Fried that, added rice, fried more, then added water and finally peas and the chops. I liked it well enough but it seems bland. Any suggestions?

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Salt? Acid (vinegar/lemon juice)?

Julio Cesar Fatass
Jul 24, 2007

"...."

Chemmy posted:

Salt? Acid (vinegar/lemon juice)?

I can't believe I forgot salt.

Is there a good ratio to keep in mind when using vinegar with rice dishes?

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Julio Cesar Fatass posted:

I can't believe I forgot salt.

Is there a good ratio to keep in mind when using vinegar with rice dishes?

It's the same as with salt, you really need to just try it a bunch of times to get good at it.

A really good way to figure out how to do the salt thing is to make unseasoned stock, split it up into 10+ little 1 oz containers, then salt them with increasing amounts of salt. You'll reach a point where it's super awesome, then the next one will be too salty. Just always salt everything with that second-to-last one.

Do the same thing with acid.

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe
GWS, can you solve my salmon mystery?

This past summer, I had hot-smoked salmon fillet for the first time, and it was one of the tastiest dishes I've ever had. Granted this was in New Zealand with fresh salmon and so on ('Hot manuka smoked Ora King Salmon, potato roesti, herb salad, mustard dressing & poached egg' was the whole dish), but I've been searching for something to equal it back here in the UK ever since.

I've had hot smoked salmon in a couple of restaurants in London, and it just isn't the same. Mostly, hot smoked salmon seems to be very dry and flaky. Having searched for recipes around the internet, that seems to be the case generally. The thing is, the dish I had above (twice) was incredibly moist, almost like I was eating a nice poached salmon fillet, but with a very rich smoked taste... I don't even know what the gently caress.

Can anyone who knows about smoking salmon shed any light on this? I'd love to try smoking a fillet or two myself one day (if I can find somewhere to rig up a make-shift smoker), but given how different that starter I had in NZ was to what I've had since, I'm wondering if they're using some unconventional cooking method.

e: for anyone curious, this is the restaurant in Nelson, NZ. All round fantastic place: http://www.harbourlightbistro.co.nz/

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

Julio Cesar Fatass posted:

I made pork chop pilaf last night but I think it's missing something.

I browned some pork chops, set them aside, added

Cinnamon
Turmeric
Cumin seed
Ground coriander seed
Onion
Garlic
Diced chile

to the pan. Fried that, added rice, fried more, then added water and finally peas and the chops. I liked it well enough but it seems bland. Any suggestions?

My guess? Stock. A pilaf needs to be boiled in stock, the rice absorbs heaps of flavour. Cubed is fine. Also you have to use a lot more spice than you might otherwise go with.

Also butter :btroll:

big dyke energy
Jul 29, 2006

Football? Yaaaay
How can I turn this vegan chocolate pie recipe into a coconut or vanilla pie or something entirely different that won't cost me $10+ in vegan chocolate alone? I want to make a nice dessert that my vegan coworker can eat, because I know no one else I work with will even attempt to accomodate him. But I also don't want to spend a ton of money in ingredients because I don't have a lot of money. So...suggestions?

Meeper
Jan 1, 2007

El Grillo posted:

GWS, can you solve my salmon mystery?

This past summer, I had hot-smoked salmon fillet for the first time, and it was one of the tastiest dishes I've ever had. Granted this was in New Zealand with fresh salmon and so on ('Hot manuka smoked Ora King Salmon, potato roesti, herb salad, mustard dressing & poached egg' was the whole dish), but I've been searching for something to equal it back here in the UK ever since.

I've had hot smoked salmon in a couple of restaurants in London, and it just isn't the same. Mostly, hot smoked salmon seems to be very dry and flaky. Having searched for recipes around the internet, that seems to be the case generally. The thing is, the dish I had above (twice) was incredibly moist, almost like I was eating a nice poached salmon fillet, but with a very rich smoked taste... I don't even know what the gently caress.

Can anyone who knows about smoking salmon shed any light on this? I'd love to try smoking a fillet or two myself one day (if I can find somewhere to rig up a make-shift smoker), but given how different that starter I had in NZ was to what I've had since, I'm wondering if they're using some unconventional cooking method.

e: for anyone curious, this is the restaurant in Nelson, NZ. All round fantastic place: http://www.harbourlightbistro.co.nz/

There's something about Manuka smoke generally that just works incredibly well in these applications. We had fresh (as in literally just pulled out of the lake) rainbow trout hot smoked on the beach up in the North Island and with just salt, sugar, and manuka smoke, it was the nicest smoked anything I'd ever had. If you can find Manuka wood or chips to smoke with, that's good, otherwise there's one South Island company that manufactures a Manuka liquid smoke that might be worth investigating.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Oxtail is finally in loving season, whats a quick and dirty Ragu recipe to make with it? It's literally one of my favorite meat cuts.

I just made a kick rear end Beef Shank and Oxtail stew, that is amazing and delicious. I'd like to make maybe a ragu but I've never made it with oxtail before.