Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Doctor Bishop posted:

I think this one may very well have already been posted here at some point, but I will never forget how simultaneously bemused and amused I was the first time I saw the name Dong Dong come up during the 2008 Olympics.

The picture's actually from the 2012 Olympics but whatever, it's the same dude.
When I searched for Kim Yoo Suk's picture, google came up with the suggestion 'Funny Olympic Names'.
These are just a few of the athlete's from the 2012 Olympics. There's too many to list.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chupe Raho Aurat
Jun 22, 2011

by Lowtax
The author Anne Rice, was named Howard by her mother.

SquareDog
Feb 8, 2004

silent but deadly
I knew a guy in Jr. High named Justin Case. I always wondered if it was intentional or not.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

My husband's cousin just had a son and named him Link Raiden. He's not even that nerdy, that part of the family is more white trash.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

I had two classmates in two different years named Manpreet, which isn't at all an unusual name. For a girl. Which only one of these people was.

The Golden Man
Aug 4, 2007

This guy was named Steety.

Purple Prophecy
Mar 7, 2013
I don't think I've got a really strange name, just very uncommon (never met anyone with it). My name is Yola. Or, as most people go, 'Yolanda?' No, Yola. No -nda. It's not short for anything. When I was about twelve I seriously had a conversation with a friends grandfather who insisted I must have gotten my own name wrong. 'Surely you are called Yolanda.' No, I'm not.

Also, I have a very short last name (three letters) that fits my first name quite nicely. When I have to say my name and just say 'Yola <lastname>', people stare at me and ask what my first name is. So I've taken to spelling it. Going 'Yola <lastname>, l-a-s-t-n-a-m-e.' My cousin Antoinette gets it the other way around, when she introduces herself people go 'and your last name?'

On the plus side, I get to explain it's a name with the Kwakwaka'wakw Nation. I'm sure I pronounce it all wrong, but it's worth it for the look people give me when they hear Kwakwaka'wakw.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

Alterian posted:

My husband's cousin just had a son and named him Link Raiden. He's not even that nerdy, that part of the family is more white trash.
They pronounce it "rayden", don't they?

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

Sham bam bamina! posted:

They pronounce it "rayden", don't they?

Yep. Their grandma was very confused about the name and thought it was "Link Raven" at first.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Wayne Gretzky posted:

This guy was named Steety.

Sfeefy thought he'd go incognito by flipping the f's in his name.

The Pell
Feb 6, 2008
I hope this is a photoshop

Edit: poo poo, it's real. http://www.tillamookregionalmc.org/gallery/colt-45

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

At least that poor kid can just be Colt.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
How long until a lot of people start naming their children after internet handles do you think?

PUGGERNAUT
Nov 14, 2013

I AM INCREDIBLY BORING AND SHOULD STOP TALKING ABOUT FOOD IN THE POLITICS THREAD

paragon1 posted:

How long until a lot of people start naming their children after internet handles do you think?

I'd rather meet a baby named WeedGoku420 than yet another Ava or Mason. I swear there's like 8 baby names that all middle-upper-class suburban people pick from.

made of bees
May 21, 2013
I already know someone who was named after her mom's DnD character.

Inspector Zenigata
Jul 19, 2010

---

Inspector Zenigata has a new favorite as of 23:04 on Apr 2, 2014

RaspberrySea
Nov 29, 2004

The Pell posted:

I hope this is a photoshop

Edit: poo poo, it's real. http://www.tillamookregionalmc.org/gallery/colt-45

Yeah, who would name their kid after something stupid like a beer. Pick a sweet weapon instead. And if you're sick of defending that name after half a month, imagine how much he's going to hate it after 18+ years of it.

Also, 10 points if you can guess what their older kid is named.

HUNTER.

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)

Purple Prophecy posted:

Also, I have a very short last name (three letters) that fits my first name quite nicely. When I have to say my name and just say 'Yola <lastname>', people stare at me and ask what my first name is. So I've taken to spelling it. Going 'Yola <lastname>, l-a-s-t-n-a-m-e.' My cousin Antoinette gets it the other way around, when she introduces herself people go 'and your last name?'

Hi, three-letter-last-name buddy! I'm used to automatically spelling mine as well. "What's your name?" "Sweeper Poo P-O-O" cue a moments confusion where they think my last name is Poopeeohoh.

Please let no one have that last word as their real last name.

Lady Disdain
Jan 14, 2013

are you yet living?

sweeperbravo posted:

Hi, three-letter-last-name buddy! I'm used to automatically spelling mine as well. "What's your name?" "Sweeper Poo P-O-O" cue a moments confusion where they think my last name is Poopeeohoh.

Please let no one have that last word as their real last name.

My surname is 20+ letters. I say it, then begin spelling it, and only get about 3 letters in before the other person just hands me a piece of paper and says 'it's probably easier if you just write it down'.
Which I don't mind, because it is a hell of a lot easier if I just write it.

falconry
Oct 9, 2012

Ugh, I hate this poo poo so much. Speaking as somebody with a pretty weird name, I hate that people are so eager to give an a unique snowflake name to the ~*special thing that they made*~ with no regard for the fact that the baby will grow up as a human being with an identity. Then the kid has no choice but to deal with the poo poo name their parents gave them and the parents act like they're the ones being persecuted.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

Inspector Zenigata posted:

You from New York? I know somebody with a similar story. There can be too many, right?

There are already plenty of little Sephiroths and Tifas running around. That's pretty close, eh? Or did you mean more like "astral_slayer666"?

What I mean is that I will pay you money to name your child paragon2.

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)
There's a boy at school whose name is pronounced "Fatty."

(He is :()

Inspector Zenigata
Jul 19, 2010

---

Inspector Zenigata has a new favorite as of 23:04 on Apr 2, 2014

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

Why is there a baby gallery? Anyway there's some pretty good stuff on it, for example these beautiful children born within 15 days of each other.

http://www.tillamookregionalmc.org/gallery/jaxon-clarence
http://www.tillamookregionalmc.org/gallery/jaxon-kb
http://www.tillamookregionalmc.org/gallery/jaxon-allen

Tillamook is a pretty small town that does not deserve that many Jaxons.

Laocius
Jul 6, 2013

A friend of mine goes to school with a guy named Jesusislord.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
There's a guy who runs commercials (for an auto dealership if I recall correctly) called Dick Smith. It doesn't seem so bad but he says his name really fast.

Purple Prophecy
Mar 7, 2013

sweeperbravo posted:

Secretly I'm glad to hear other three-letter-last-name people get that too! I imagine it's even worse when your last name doesn't mean something (mine does) and you can't even try to explain by referencing that thing.

Back to weird names, I met a Jurphaas once. And one of my best friends has a last name that in my language means 'vomit'. Very unfortunate.

edit: Just remembered mr. Neighbour. Too bad he doesn't live next door to me. But someone, somewhere, has a neigbour Neighbour.

Purple Prophecy has a new favorite as of 10:28 on Dec 17, 2013

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

paragon1 posted:

My name IS my internet handle! :v:

A Meat
Jun 28, 2013

CERTIFIED FRESH AS HELL DOC MAKER

paragon1 posted:

My real name is pronounced the same way as my internet handle, does that count?

Which I must say is sometimes unfortunate.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

paragon1 posted:

There's a guy who runs commercials (for an auto dealership if I recall correctly) called Dick Smith. It doesn't seem so bad but he says his name really fast.
There's an entire (presumably unrelated) Dick Smith electronics retailer chain in Australia. :australia:

Zephonith
Jun 25, 2008

Maybe if I actually played Mafia, I'd get a better gift from my Mafia Secret Santa. :(

Sham bam bamina! posted:

There's an entire (presumably unrelated) Dick Smith electronics retailer chain in Australia. :australia:

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

Congratulations! Tens of sums shall be yours upon my receiving a certificate of live birth.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Little guy on the bus was just introduced by his mother as Boston. Not Austin, the person she was talking to was confused by it too, so she made mom repeat it to be sure Boston.

Chupe Raho Aurat
Jun 22, 2011

by Lowtax

Sham bam bamina! posted:

When I worked at Dick Smith we hired a Richard Smith.

Sudden Guts Pill
Aug 7, 2009
I was stuffing envelopes at my job today and ran across an "Aeryelle". I imagine it's meant to be pronounced like "Ariel" but I can't be sure.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Cheese.

Chupe Raho Aurat
Jun 22, 2011

by Lowtax
want to guess Richard Gere's middle name?

Wrong. It's tiffany.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe
My sister's two kids were both delivered by Dr. Bush. When I was a kid we lived across the street from a dermatologist named Dr. Skinner.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lady Disdain
Jan 14, 2013

are you yet living?

stubblyhead posted:

My sister's two kids were both delivered by Dr. Bush. When I was a kid we lived across the street from a dermatologist named Dr. Skinner.

My cousins' dentist is called Dr Dre.