Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
I'm gonna see them this Friday! I hope they play Misfit Love, I loving love that song. Have no idea what the setlists have been like but I assume its a lot of ...like clockwerk material right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CaptainJuan
Oct 15, 2008

Thick. Juicy. Tender.

Imagine cutting into a Barry White Song.

PonchAxis posted:

I'm gonna see them this Friday! I hope they play Misfit Love, I loving love that song. Have no idea what the setlists have been like but I assume its a lot of ...like clockwerk material right?

In Indianapolis it was probably half clockwork half older stuff. They didn't do misfit love though :(

Mr. Mojangles
Dec 15, 2005

Here's a neat interview with Josh Homme :)
(the interview itself starts about 13 mins. into the podcast.)

http://www.wtfpod.com/podcast/episodes/episode_431_-_josh_homme

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker
That's a fantastic interview!

lkz
May 1, 2009
Soiled Meat

CaptainJuan posted:

In Indianapolis it was probably half clockwork half older stuff. They didn't do misfit love though :(

Sounds about right, although they did Misfit Love when I saw them in Detroit so you never know :dance:

Cromulent
Dec 22, 2002

People are under a lot of stress, Bradley.
The WTF interview was good stuff, interesting to hear Josh finally elaborate on what happened with being bedridden and such. For those that can't listen, Josh hosed his immune system by doing too much of the types of drugs that keep you up for days (they really avoided naming the drugs but the fact that they were so ambiguous makes me think it was the worst of the worst), and then contracted MRSA (antibiotic-resistant staph infection) on his leg. While having surgery on it, he choked on an oxygen tubes and they almost lost him. He was contagious for 4 months so he really was bedridden and couldn't even hug his kids. I wasn't sure if he was being metaphorical about being bedridden in previous interviews, but apparently he was. Brutal poo poo.

JoeRules
Jul 11, 2001

PonchAxis posted:

In Dallas, they did all of Like Clockwork except Fairweather Friends. And Misfit Love was included.

HairyNipple!
Dec 31, 2004

hello i am fast cheap awesome
Nobody cares, but I just got tickets to the Sydney QOTSA/NIN show. Pumped as.

I tried to get them for Melbourne as well, but missed out. I have another pre-sale, then the actual sale to try for those though.

I've got a buddy I'm going with who's a massive NIN fan, but not a big QOTSA fan. I'm the opposite, so it's going to be weird.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!
So recently I was given some Joni Mitchell to listen to and there's something about "Songs for Aging Children Come" that I can't shake.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JGMzuo6jwjU

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
Can you just state what QOTSA that's supposed to sound like?

uno.mannschaft
Dec 23, 2006
Saw them for the first time in Milan last week. Been waiting for this a long time and was worried that they wouldn't be able to live up to my expectations but I came away satisfied. Caught the last couple of songs by Band of skulls and they were alright. The sound was not to good though I think that might be more of a venue thing than because of bad engineering/mixing, the place felt like a giant tin box, it's for used basketball or something like that. Crowd seemed to be wanting the heavy rock songs so Millionaire, Sick sick sick and Little sister got the best response but the bad sound made the setup of three guitarists a little hard on the ears. Personally I thought Like clockwork leading into In the fade was fantastic and Make it with chu and Better living through chemistry was also really good. Misfit love was a nice surprise. Have to say I could be without Millionaire and Sick... as I think they have much better songs they can pull out, was hoping for Mexicola but didn't get that.

Just want to leave a comment on Milan which was a great place. Lovely people everywhere and a nice place in every aspect except for the smog.

White Rabbit
Sep 8, 2004

We Do Not Sow.
Just saw them on their first Paris gig and thankfully the sound was alright. Band of Skulls didnt really grab me but they had great energy for a three piece band.

I dont think setlists differ much this tour but we got some great tunes, although Clockwork heavy as expected but these songs perform great live.

setlist:
Avon & Mexicola
In the Fade, Feel good hit & Better Living
No one knows, Millionaire, Go with the flow & Song for the dead
Little Sister & Burn the Witch
Misfit Love, Make it wit Chu & Sick, Sick, Sick
Kalopsia, If i had a tail, Vampyre, Like Clockwork, Smooth Sailing, I sat by the ocean, My God is the sun

Kalopsia & Mexicola really stood out for me. Misfit Love is one of my favorites. I just wish they had closed with Long slow goodbye...

The whole show was really groovy, I'm glad I caught them!

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
Not sure if this is news, but they seem to have added a bunch of stops on the tour. They have 4 Florida stops now, for instance. I'm definitely going to the Miami Beach show in February!

Mr. Mojangles
Dec 15, 2005

Oh hey new video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AEIVlYegHx8

"Full interactive video on: http://www.vampyreoftimeandmemory.com/" whatever that means?

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

Mr. Mojangles posted:

"Full interactive video on: http://www.vampyreoftimeandmemory.com/" whatever that means?

It's kind of a click-through adventure. You get into one room and can watch the video from 3 different perspectives.

no broccoli please
Apr 20, 2007

no broccoli please you are nice here is a Nathaniel Hawthorne avatar
That video is unsettling as all hell, but works so good.
Who's that lady? She gives me the creeps.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
Why would you have an interactive thing and then make one of the first things you can click out pause it and take you out to iTunes :mad:

This is pretty drat cool though and there's something about it that reminds me of old FMV games like Killing Time or 7th Guest. Also wasn't expecting a non-animated music video out of this album.

Oh and here's the cartoon that's playing in the background:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=44foICFflpk

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

I think the whole thing is pretty cool too. I'd like to get the version of the song playing in the "hallway"

BobbyHeenanTinyHat
Apr 1, 2005

Calling all girls of the opposite sex
Seeing them tonight in Birmingham. Quite excited; haven't seen them since I saw them at Reading Festival 2008. By saw, I mean I fell ill as they started, walked 15 minutes back to camp, rested, decided to man up, walked the 15 minutes back and saw the final song. Hopefully tonight will go a little more smoothly.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

M1TCH3LL posted:

Seeing them tonight in Birmingham. Quite excited; haven't seen them since I saw them at Reading Festival 2008. By saw, I mean I fell ill as they started, walked 15 minutes back to camp, rested, decided to man up, walked the 15 minutes back and saw the final song. Hopefully tonight will go a little more smoothly.

I think we went to the same show - though I had to travel up from Cardiff - and I thought it was great. Homme was ill that night but about 4 or 5 songs in he just kicked into high gear and was great. There was sadly nothing off their first album, though a couple of Rated-R jams made it in there. My only issue was some of the sound mix was a little lacking, with the vocals being drowned out, and I'm too used to seeing Stadium shows because I think I was expecting a screen there. It would've been nice to have seen the band.

BobbyHeenanTinyHat
Apr 1, 2005

Calling all girls of the opposite sex
He was ill, yeah, and you're right: the vocals were drowned all night, especially where we were sat (in the balcony to the side of the stage). I thought the set flowed quite nicely though, and the crowd was far more into it at the front than I expected.

The NIA rarely ever does screens, though. In fact, unless the band themselves implement one, I haven't seen screens at the (bigger) LG Arena either. I don't mind it so much; the stage looked really small compared to usual, so they're lucky they managed to fit anything onto it, let alone more stuff.

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

I think yyu I had different mindset for that mm .. mm bombat,

Elliptical Dick
Oct 11, 2008

I made the bald man cry
into the turtle stew
Saw them in Amsterdam last night. We were sitting about 50 meters from the stage though and I would have liked a screen dedicated to showing the band. As it was the screen that was there was mostly used for animations and the occasional filtered band shots.

I thought the band were on good form though. Lots of energy and tight most of the way through, although Homme seemed to be saving his voice a bit at times. They opened with Millionaire and No One Knows and for the crowd going straight away. They played everything off ... Like Clockwork save Keep Your Eyes Peeled and I Appear Missing. A decent mix of older tracks thrown in as well. They played The Lost Art of Keeping a Secret, which is one of my personal favourites.

Never paid this much for a single gig but it was well worth it. Oh yeah, Band of Skulls were decent as support.

FSFunky
Aug 13, 2004

it's only falling in love because you hit the ground
I was there as well. It's the best concert I've ever been to. I really liked the setlist (especially having deep cuts like I Never Came and Better Living Through Chemistry on there).

Agree with you on the voice thing, although to be honest I've always felt having Josh do vocals on Millionaire made that song lose a lot of its intensity.

Tychtrip
May 23, 2010

We are livid souls
My latest purchase;

http://store.rekordsrekords.com/collections/frontpage/products/reindeer-sweater

I like it.

Bliggers-
Dec 1, 2006
Back in business
Is that a real knit sweater or screen printed sweatshirt?

Tychtrip
May 23, 2010

We are livid souls

Bliggers- posted:

Is that a real knit sweater or screen printed sweatshirt?

I don't have it yet but I'm fairly sure it's a screen printed sweatshirt.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Hahaha, that's one of the best band sweatshirt designs I've ever seen :allears:

BethelBAR
Apr 17, 2008

by Cowcaster
Just a heads up for UK goons, channel 4 is showing the QOTSA itunes festival gig tonight.

JoTro
Dec 24, 2006

So tonight I'm gonna party like its 1066!

This is great!

Metallica is selling something similar but much uglier, too:

http://www.metallica.com/products/master-holiday-sweater.asp

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

JoTro posted:

This is great!

Metallica is selling something similar but much uglier, too:

http://www.metallica.com/products/master-holiday-sweater.asp

I'd wear it to an ugly sweater party or something like that, but $75 is an awful lot to ask for something just so tremendously ugly.

Jeff Wiiver
Jul 13, 2007
Excuse the self-promotion, but due to tomorrow's inclement weather I'm looking to unload 3 General Admission tickets to the Barclay's show. PM me if interested.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
Anyone else go to their Boston show last night? The crowd didn't have great energy and the venue had a weird divider in the middle of the floor that didn't help, but the Queens put on a hell of a show! I'd never seen them live before and they did not disappoint.

Princeps32
Nov 9, 2012

SRM posted:

Anyone else go to their Boston show last night? The crowd didn't have great energy and the venue had a weird divider in the middle of the floor that didn't help, but the Queens put on a hell of a show! I'd never seen them live before and they did not disappoint.

I was there, loving great setlist. The crowd petered out on the piano-centric songs but it certainly wasn't the worst crowd I've been to in Boston, they perked up on the hits and the livelier Like Clockwork songs. The worst crowd award will always go to Bon Iver in 2012, where everyone ignored the actual music and took selfies instead, facing away from the stage.

Princeps32 fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Dec 14, 2013

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

Jeff Wiiver posted:

Excuse the self-promotion, but due to tomorrow's inclement weather I'm looking to unload 3 General Admission tickets to the Barclay's show. PM me if interested.

Hope you went in the end. Totally worth braving the snow and slush.

Jeff Wiiver
Jul 13, 2007

Hulk Krogan posted:

Hope you went in the end. Totally worth braving the snow and slush.
Didn't make it, no. I'm in Rhode Island though so it was just too much to drive all that way in terrible weather. I did manage to sell all 3 tickets through TicketMaster for more than I paid for them originally though. Silver lining I guess.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

Jeff Wiiver posted:

Didn't make it, no. I'm in Rhode Island though so it was just too much to drive all that way in terrible weather. I did manage to sell all 3 tickets through TicketMaster for more than I paid for them originally though. Silver lining I guess.

You shoulda took a bus or something dude, that's what me and my friend did.

I'm on the train home from the show right now and it was just great. The Barclays Center is super nice, and the floor was awesome. When Josh mentioned having played in Boston last night everyone booed and he just laughed.
Setlist was great, they sounded incredible, the crowd was super into every single song, and everyone who was moshing was just having fun, no malice.
So so good.

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

Josh: "Where am I? I know I'm over the bridge. So is this Williamsburg I guess?"
Crowd: nnnnoooooooo

Like you said, the setlist and the sound were awesome. I was really hoping they'd play I Appear Missing but that other than that I really can't complain.

Jeff Wiiver posted:

Ah yeah, that's a bit of a hike. At least you made a couple bucks off the deal.

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009
Long shot, but does anyone happen to have a QOTSA reindeer sweater, L or XL in either color, that they'd be willing to part with?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere
God drat that sweater is amazing, why are they sold out :smith:.

• Locked thread