Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
Actually it's a function of a series traditionally being written by a single writer or pair of writers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Frank Darabont is suing AMC saying that they haven't paid him a fair share of The Walking Dead's profits. The accusation is that AMC used some Hollywood bookkeeping to make it look like the show wasn't profitable. Also he's saying that the reason he left the show was AMC also trying to keep from paying him his share.

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

muscles like this? posted:

Frank Darabont is suing AMC saying that they haven't paid him a fair share of The Walking Dead's profits. The accusation is that AMC used some Hollywood bookkeeping to make it look like the show wasn't profitable. Also he's saying that the reason he left the show was AMC also trying to keep from paying him his share.

Details.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Rapey Joe Stalin posted:

Actually it's a function of a series traditionally being written by a single writer or pair of writers.
If only the Brits were willing to do coke like Aaron Sorkin, they could crank out 22 episode seasons too. :v:

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

That is dirty as gently caress and I hope he takes them to the cleaners. And it's not exactly the best way for AMC to attract the talent they need to replace their hit programmes either.

smg77
Apr 27, 2007

Rapey Joe Stalin posted:

That is dirty as gently caress and I hope he takes them to the cleaners. And it's not exactly the best way for AMC to attract the talent they need to replace their hit programmes either.

Didn't AMC also try and screw over Mad Men and Breaking Bad so they could pour more money into TWD or am I not remembering that right?

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Rapey Joe Stalin posted:

To be fair, all their programs don't last because they're usually poo poo or poo poo reality tv shows. Mad Men and Breaking Bad continually win Emmys because their show runners rule with an iron fist over a brand new property (not adapted). Walking Dead suffers from having Kirkman anywhere near it because he's a hack and the showrunners have been replaced twice already.

smg77 posted:

Didn't AMC also try and screw over Mad Men and Breaking Bad so they could pour more money into TWD or am I not remembering that right?
Other way around actually, Weiner's negotiations cost a lot more than AMC expected and they had to cut the budget for both programs as a result. It's why Farm season was such a boring mess for Walking Dead and why Breaking Bad split their season in two.

Party Plane Jones fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Dec 18, 2013

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

smg77 posted:

BrBa, yes, because they had control of TWD, whereas BrBa was I belive a Sony venture that AMC didn't have total control over. TWD is all AMC, so they hosed with it to no end budget-wise, hence the showrunner changes and apparent/alleged loving over of Darabont.

Boring Men I have no idea about because even seeing its name makes me slip into a boredom coma.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING

Irish Joe posted:

Definitely. I'm getting sick of Matt Smith, too, but at least he's getting the boot next week.

No, this is a wrong opinion. The reason to be excited about Smith leaving is PETER loving CAPALDI. Doctor Who's going to be awesome next year.
Although, I heard bad things about this last season of Who, and while the first part of the season was pretty weak (outside of Dinosaurs on a Spaceship, that was the best), the second part was really good aside from the tangled mess of The Name of the Doctor. Cold War and Hide are probably in my top ten favorite Who episodes (though I've only seen revival Who, haven't gotten around to the older stuff, to my regret).

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.

Spatula City posted:

No, this is a wrong opinion. The reason to be excited about Smith leaving is PETER loving CAPALDI. Doctor Who's going to be awesome next year.
Although, I heard bad things about this last season of Who, and while the first part of the season was pretty weak (outside of Dinosaurs on a Spaceship, that was the best), the second part was really good aside from the tangled mess of The Name of the Doctor. Cold War and Hide are probably in my top ten favorite Who episodes (though I've only seen revival Who, haven't gotten around to the older stuff, to my regret).
You liked Cold War?

Well, I mean it was okay.

BIG CITY LAWYER
Sep 15, 2004

I believe it was the great American painter Bob Ross who said, "The key to a swollen vagina is... courage."
Oof, not to bring up old wounds but this happened today at work and no one else would understand. I get on the elevator on the 7th floor with a coworker. Two people are already on there. Someone gets on at 6th floor and another on 5th. A woman that's probably 60ish said "We must be on the local today!" and her friend chuckled. I immediately thought of TVIV.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Wow, that's racist as gently caress.

BIG CITY LAWYER
Sep 15, 2004

I believe it was the great American painter Bob Ross who said, "The key to a swollen vagina is... courage."
This is not meant to be a resurrection of that whole debate! It was just super unexpected and it brought the whole thing to mind immediately.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I don't even get it. I somehow managed to miss what that was ever even about. I just always pretended to know what it meant so goons wouldn't laugh at me.

BIG CITY LAWYER
Sep 15, 2004

If you want to go down the rabbit hole http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2993293&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=19 feel free!

BIG CITY LAWYER fucked around with this message at 08:01 on Dec 18, 2013

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Am I the only one watching Awkward on MTV? I think it's really funny but the real interesting thing is that it recently changed formats from half hour to an hour-long show. And it actually works. Has any other show successfully made a change like that? Actually I'm not sure if MTV has any other hour shows besides this.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Submissions are open in the TVIV Poll thread. Get your Lists on, TV goons.

Joramun
Dec 1, 2011

No man has need of candles when the Sun awaits him.

Mu Zeta posted:

Actually I'm not sure if MTV has any other hour shows besides this.
Teen Wolf

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Mu Zeta posted:

Am I the only one watching Awkward on MTV?

Ah yes. It must be Wednesday.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

So am I in the minority in that I really, really prefer the goofy Dr Who episodes? I started watching fairly recently with the Eccleston season and am up to season four right now and the intense earnestness of every episode makes it tough to continue. The only episode I really liked for this season so far was the Agatha Christie / giant wasp one. Just watched Turn Left and it was a slog imo.
I'll stick out this season, but does the show get back to the general goofiness of seasons 1 and 3 or is it all srs bsns from here on out?

thrakkorzog
Nov 16, 2007

precision posted:

I don't even get it. I somehow managed to miss what that was ever even about. I just always pretended to know what it meant so goons wouldn't laugh at me.

It's from the 30 Rock thread. Basically, Kenneth the page was working as an elevator operator, and after stopping at one floor after another, he quipped that "What is this the local?" Which is kind of a lame joke, somewhere around "Thanks for the dance," when trying to walk past someone else. But some people thought there was some special racist meaning to the joke, because there were African Americans present. When in reality, it was just a really lame joke that people who regularly ride public transit would get.

thrakkorzog fucked around with this message at 11:48 on Dec 18, 2013

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

regulargonzalez posted:

So am I in the minority in that I really, really prefer the goofy Dr Who episodes?

There are non-goofy episodes of Dr Who?

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

thrakkorzog posted:

But some people thought there was some special racist meaning to the joke, because there were African Americans present. When in reality, it was just a really lame joke that people who regularly ride public transit would get.

Its even funnier because the 'joke' was actually a reference an episode of Mad Men that aired earlier that year.

Tornhelm
Jul 26, 2008

Doctor Butts posted:

Back in my day, I had M.A.S.K., Transformers, and G.I. Joe.

But you don't see me coming back to that poo poo and making fan art of Matt Trakker and sleeping with a T-Bob pillow.

Whatever you do, do NOT go back and watch M.A.S.K. While the vehicles and masks are still cool, it really is racist as gently caress. I mean really old people levels of racism.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Tornhelm posted:

Whatever you do, do NOT go back and watch M.A.S.K. While the vehicles and masks are still cool, it really is racist as gently caress. I mean really old people levels of racism.

Really? I don't remember anything about the show itself I just remember having some of the toys. What was so racist about it?

Tornhelm
Jul 26, 2008

Really? I don't remember anything about the show itself I just remember having some of the toys. What was so racist about it?

Everything from Bruce Sato who only spoke in riddles that had to be translated by either Matt Trakker or Alex Sector so the rest of the team could understand what he was trying to say to the way every single minority is treated on the show. See this io9 article for an example of one such episode. Also, the show would have been majorly improved by Scott Trakker either dying or having the poo poo kicked out of him until he learnt not to be such an annoying little turd.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

Hollywood accounting is shady as gently caress. New Line pulled the same thing so they wouldn't have to pay Peter Jackson his part of the profits for all 3 Lord of the Rings movies (They said that the movies didn't turn any profit). There's also that document that's gone around (I think it was on The Smoking Gun) that shows that once all the marketing and other costs are accounted for, one of the later Harry Potter movies made exactly $0.00 profit. I'm not sure how true it is that Darabont got booted for financial reasons, but I'm pretty sure it has more to do with Kirkman being defacto show runner. Still, if they genuinely let Darabont go with no reason then that's a lovely thing to do to someone.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Junkenstein posted:

There are non-goofy episodes of Dr Who?

Every episode has a bit of cheesiness/goofiness, but some swing more serious than others. Moffat's run is significantly less goofy than Rusty's (no farting aliens or Tinkerbell schemes, thank Christ) but at the risk of getting too self-important/pretentious. Moffat's run started off allright--I recently rewatched the first two Matt Smith series and save for the Hungry Earth two parter it's actually a pretty fantastic run of television. The most recent series (both halves) were pretty dissapointing and felt like Moffat had big ideas for both but ultimately did not set them up properly and thus fell flat.

We'll see how the next series goes, but if he can't figure out how to make Clara a real character and not just a manic pixie dream companion I may wait to revisit Doctor Who until a new showrunner (likely Mark Gatiss) takes the reins.

asecondduck fucked around with this message at 13:44 on Dec 18, 2013

Kraps
Sep 9, 2011

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.

DrVenkman posted:

all 3 Lord of the Rings movies (They said that the movies didn't turn any profit) ... one of the later Harry Potter movies made exactly $0.00 profit...

whaaaaat

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Kraps posted:

whaaaaat

Yeah, cooking the books like that has been a common thing in the movie business for years.
Freakazoid even warned kids about it in the '90s!

precision posted:

I either never knew or blocked it out, but from that link I can safely conclude that it was about autism.

Threep
Apr 1, 2006

It's kind of a long story.

Kraps posted:

whaaaaat

One of the basic accounting tricks they use is the same one Darabont is accusing AMC of using: Intentionally overpaying their parent company to move the profit out of the contract's scope.

Threep fucked around with this message at 15:18 on Dec 18, 2013

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?
The book The Last Don by Mario Puzo has chapters about it and I assume its him bitching about the way he was screwed out of Godfather profits.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

JMS has said that one of the other tricks they use is to shift loses around to profitible shows. So a set getting ruined by weather for another show would get put on B5's books.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Yeah, that's some creative accounting if I've ever seen it.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

When season 2 of TWD was in production there was that report of AMC taking the filmed in Georgia tax credit the show was supposed to be getting and not applying it to the show's budget.

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

Catching up on Masters of Sex, and I can't help but think that if Mad Men had been able to cast Caitlin FitzGerald as Betty Draper instead of January Jones the show would have been better.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
David Prowse also didn't get a nickle, which is by far the biggest reason to hate George Lucas.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YSm9DDxQv8E

ufarn fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Dec 18, 2013

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
In the Top 10 thread, Irish Joe just claimed that the Talking Dead is the best TV show of 2013 :allears:

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Rarity posted:

In the Top 10 thread, Irish Joe just claimed that the Talking Dead is the best TV show of 2013 :allears:
Does anyone know what he looks like? Are we sure he's not Armond White?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

Josh Lyman posted:

Does anyone know what he looks like? Are we sure he's not Armond White?

It might not be male.

• Locked thread