Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Yeah you're kinda asking the world there for $200. Cameras with lots of zoom usually don't have good apertures. Concerts are usually in "don't bother" territory for every P&S I can think of. Used or refurb s100 would serve you pretty well though, and a tripod to stabilize it to zoom in on your models.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Just got an S110 for my sister for Christmas. Does the battery life improve much from the S90/100? I heard that was a bit of a problem, but maybe it was overblown.

nrr
Jan 2, 2007

What can you guys tell me about the Nikon S1?

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

nrr posted:

What can you guys tell me about the Nikon S1?

They look neat but I don't think there are any decent lenses for that system.

nrr
Jan 2, 2007

What's non decent about them?

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

nrr posted:

What's non decent about them?

Aside from like 2 primes, the whole list is made up almost entirely of varying lengths of slow kit lenses.

Beastruction
Feb 16, 2005
Still more primes than DX.

Mightaswell
Dec 4, 2003

Not now chief, I'm in the fuckin' zone.

I love my J1. The 18.5 mm is sharp as hell and basically welded onto mine. Focus is crazy fast. Shutter lag is nonexistent.

There's also a 32mm 1.2 available :D

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty
Is there any point in getting the Canon S120 instead of the S110? Almost twice the price, but shares the same sensor and number of pixels afaik. A bit faster though, and probably some other updates, but are they worth it?

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

Xabi posted:

Is there any point in getting the Canon S120 instead of the S110? Almost twice the price, but shares the same sensor and number of pixels afaik. A bit faster though, and probably some other updates, but are they worth it?

Just looking at the differences it seems like the s120 has a bit faster lens (.2 stops across teh whole range), better IS, better video (can do 1080/60p), and it also has some features to make shooting stars better (some stuff to let you shoot star trails or something).

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Has anyone used the iOS wifi transfer apps on newer Canons or Sonys? I assume they're miserable but I'd like to know how miserable.

qirex fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Dec 17, 2013

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Tried the iOS/Android for Sony's RX100 Mk 2 wireless photo share. It's clunky, first generation app, but gets the job done and the transfer speed is fine.

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

Good to hear. I'm tempted by the wireless on the II. I kinda hate that I can't do anything with my photos until I get home with them. Sometimes I wish I could just edit one or two on the ipad/phone and pop it up on facebook or whatever. I always hate sharing iphone photos when I have a much better version sitting on the camera.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Haggins posted:

Good to hear. I'm tempted by the wireless on the II. I kinda hate that I can't do anything with my photos until I get home with them. Sometimes I wish I could just edit one or two on the ipad/phone and pop it up on facebook or whatever. I always hate sharing iphone photos when I have a much better version sitting on the camera.

It's not as flashy, but the camera connection kit works great for this. The iPad supports editing the Sony's RAW files, too.

Nondescript Van
May 2, 2007

Gats N Party Hats :toot:
I'd like to get my mom a camera for christmas but i'm limited to around $200-$250. She would mainly use it to take pictures of her mosaic glass art to sell online. This includes close up shots to show just how goddamn sparkly the glass can be (which she loves).

Right now she uses a canon rebel xs but she doesn't like it. The only mode she has ever used on it is the full auto. I've tried teaching her multiple times how to use it but she can never remember.

I'm looking to get her something smaller, a bit simpler if possible, and something she doesn't have to share with my sister or anybody else.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

Nondescript Van posted:

I'd like to get my mom a camera for christmas but i'm limited to around $200-$250. She would mainly use it to take pictures of her mosaic glass art to sell online. This includes close up shots to show just how goddamn sparkly the glass can be (which she loves).

Right now she uses a canon rebel xs but she doesn't like it. The only mode she has ever used on it is the full auto. I've tried teaching her multiple times how to use it but she can never remember.

I'm looking to get her something smaller, a bit simpler if possible, and something she doesn't have to share with my sister or anybody else.

Canon s100 or 110?

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

Nondescript Van posted:

Glass is a pain in the rear end. I don't think cameras itself will actually help. What you need is a tripod, a softbox to diffuse the light, and big rear end light source. Regardless of camera, for her situation a tripod helps a lot more. If she wants to just stick with auto, then perhaps get a few accessories first. Don't waste money on a new camera if the fundamental issues are not solved.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
Picked up a Ricoh GR this week. Man, is this thing ever customizable.

I think it's going to be a fun camera, but you do need to work a little more for nice images with it, imo.

Costello Jello
Oct 24, 2003

It had to start somewhere

mediaphage posted:

Picked up a Ricoh GR this week. Man, is this thing ever customizable.

I think it's going to be a fun camera, but you do need to work a little more for nice images with it, imo.

The first thing I did was a set a minimum shutter speed limit on one of the My# mode dial settings, because the GR wants to go WAY too low with the shutter speed before it starts bumping up ISO, even though it doesn't have image stabilization. 1/60 is what I find gives consistently good results as a minimum shutter speed for usual hand-held shooting, so not having image stabilization makes a big difference, unfortunately. Awesome camera though, I love it.

Poop Faerie
Jun 22, 2009
Just got a Sony RX100 Mk 1 for Christmas, very excited. Can anyone point me to some reading? This is the nicest P&S I've had, and I never really got to know how to use my old DSLR.

Bob Socko
Feb 20, 2001

Poop Faerie posted:

Just got a Sony RX100 Mk 1 for Christmas, very excited. Can anyone point me to some reading? This is the nicest P&S I've had, and I never really got to know how to use my old DSLR.
Check out Gary Friedman's RX-100 book. He's a pro photographer who genuinely enjoys the RX100 and uses it as his everyday carrying around camera. I own three of his books and find them really well written.

I am the milkman
Oct 25, 2005
my milk is delicious
I recently got myself a Powershot G15 and I'm thinking about getting a flash for it. I've read good things about the yongnuo 560 sreies as a good budget option and I'm wondering if it will work with my camera. The reason I'm asking is that the camera manual states that "non canon" and "non EX-series" flashes may not work properly and I would like to know if there is any truth to this.

mes
Apr 28, 2006

I am the milkman posted:

I recently got myself a Powershot G15 and I'm thinking about getting a flash for it. I've read good things about the yongnuo 560 sreies as a good budget option and I'm wondering if it will work with my camera. The reason I'm asking is that the camera manual states that "non canon" and "non EX-series" flashes may not work properly and I would like to know if there is any truth to this.

It will work with the G15 because the camera has a hotshoe but what you won't get is TTL (through the lens) metering of the flash with the Yongnuo so you'd have to expose manually with it. With a Canon flash you'd be able to have full automatic mode with the flash.

Any reason you want to buy an external flash for the G15? Shoving a huge flash on top of that small camera is going to make it awkward at best.

I am the milkman
Oct 25, 2005
my milk is delicious

Mest0r posted:

It will work with the G15 because the camera has a hotshoe but what you won't get is TTL (through the lens) metering of the flash with the Yongnuo so you'd have to expose manually with it. With a Canon flash you'd be able to have full automatic mode with the flash.

Any reason you want to buy an external flash for the G15? Shoving a huge flash on top of that small camera is going to make it awkward at best.

I was mostly thinking that I want to play around with it as an off camera flash, but also using it on camera for ceiling bouncing and what not.

I see what you mean with the awkwardness though, found this

Small camera, big flash by ttstam, on Flickr

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
I loaned my S95 to a friend for her New Years trip, and she keeps getting the message 'Wrong flash position: please restart the camera"

What exactly does that mean?

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

GobiasIndustries posted:

I loaned my S95 to a friend for her New Years trip, and she keeps getting the message 'Wrong flash position: please restart the camera"

What exactly does that mean?

Means you should put it in the right position :colbert:

Honestly no idea though. I assume she's turned it on/off, and popped out the battery for a bit?

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
A quick google suggests it's an error that occurs when either a finger accidentally blocks the flash from popping out, or if it is pushed back instead of the camera retracting it.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Pablo Bluth posted:

A quick google suggests it's an error that occurs when either a finger accidentally blocks the flash from popping out, or if it is pushed back instead of the camera retracting it.

This is what always caused mine to give that error, but switching the camera off always fixed it immediately.

ZachAttack
Mar 17, 2009

Malevolent Hatform
Nap Ghost
Hey, I just wanted to thank this thread. I was getting ready for a trip abroad a few weeks ago and wanted a decent point and shoot. I read the OP and followed some of the last few pages of conversations and got the Canon S100. I just got back from the trip a few days ago with tons of great pictures. The S100 was perfect, thanks!

dont hate the playa
May 12, 2009
I've been known to put my 430 flash on my g15 when I'm around the house. Looks dumb, works great.

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

I'm mentally spending my tax return and I think I'm ready to replace my long lost S90.

I'm debating between the Rx100 II and the Canon G1X. I've owned a G9 which I replaced with a S90. The S90 was nice but I ended up missing the the ergonomics of the G series. It felt like I was using a real camera and I feel like it was easier to compose a shot on.

Pocket ability isn't a big deal to me. Which ever I get I'll only carry it around when I want to go shooting (but don't want to carry the dslr). I don't need an always on me camera since I have an iphone 5s. I'm pretty set on the point and shoot idea, I really don't want to bother with changing lenses and like to have a zoom.

I'm leaning towards the G1X for the larger sensor and the ergonomics. I also like having the eye piece even if it's not perfect. Finally, I'm not sure if I'll bother or not, but it might be fun to use with one of my speedlites and a wireless trigger.

I know the RX100 gets a lot of love here and not so much for the G1X. Am I crazy for wanting one?

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

It's all a matter of perspective...
Grimey Drawer

Haggins posted:

I'm mentally spending my tax return and I think I'm ready to replace my long lost S90.

I'm debating between the Rx100 II and the Canon G1X. I've owned a G9 which I replaced with a S90. The S90 was nice but I ended up missing the the ergonomics of the G series. It felt like I was using a real camera and I feel like it was easier to compose a shot on.

Pocket ability isn't a big deal to me. Which ever I get I'll only carry it around when I want to go shooting (but don't want to carry the dslr). I don't need an always on me camera since I have an iphone 5s. I'm pretty set on the point and shoot idea, I really don't want to bother with changing lenses and like to have a zoom.

I'm leaning towards the G1X for the larger sensor and the ergonomics. I also like having the eye piece even if it's not perfect. Finally, I'm not sure if I'll bother or not, but it might be fun to use with one of my speedlites and a wireless trigger.

I know the RX100 gets a lot of love here and not so much for the G1X. Am I crazy for wanting one?

I had a g12 and more or less liked the ergonomics of it. One thing that killed the G1X for me was the 20cm close focus- I wasn't going to be able to take obnoxiously close photos of food or bugs or whatever.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

I had a G12 myself too. Battery life was outstanding (Granted, it's a huge battery) and ergonomics were nice. The viewfinder was basically an afterthought but maybe that's been improved. Having a tilt/swivel screen was fantastic. It wasn't really pocketable except for jackets/coats but if that's not a concern then I'd say it's worth looking at.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
You don't have to change lenses on an interchangeable lens camera. I'm sure the G1X would be more compact overall, but I feel like it might be worth at least considering a mirrorless system camera. There's so much good stuff out there right now and the G1x has some limitations that I think would be annoying. The lens is slow at the long end, the AF is slow compared to M4/3 stuff and the RX100, it's missing some features that you'd get on even lower end cameras like panorama and decent video modes. It doesn't get much love here because it's probably not a good choice for most people—for most P&S needs the RX100 is a far, far better camera. That said, I don't think the G1x is a bad camera by any means. It's just kindof niche and isn't a good fit for most people. Maybe you're the person who it'll be perfect for.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

powderific posted:

You don't have to change lenses on an interchangeable lens camera. I'm sure the G1X would be more compact overall, but I feel like it might be worth at least considering a mirrorless system camera. There's so much good stuff out there right now and the G1x has some limitations that I think would be annoying. The lens is slow at the long end, the AF is slow compared to M4/3 stuff and the RX100, it's missing some features that you'd get on even lower end cameras like panorama and decent video modes. It doesn't get much love here because it's probably not a good choice for most people—for most P&S needs the RX100 is a far, far better camera. That said, I don't think the G1x is a bad camera by any means. It's just kindof niche and isn't a good fit for most people. Maybe you're the person who it'll be perfect for.

This is a good point. The G1n series are good cameras, for the most part, they're just strange cameras depending on the role you want them to fill. I had a hard time figuring out where exactly to use mine. I took it on a couple trips with me and it took good images (having two wheels is very helpful, and pretty rare to find with a P&S), but I kept finding that I could have just had my DSLR or a more portable P&S that would have been maybe a little difficult to use in a manual mode, but was easier to carry around. It did also have a pretty solid burst mode too. I eventually sold it to a friend and got that crazy bright Olympus with the f/1.8 lens. I forget the model offhand :effort:.

Again, it's still a very good camera and I was happy with the images I got from it, but you'll just want to make sure it's what you want. If you have some wireless triggers/flashes you want to use with it, go to town. It is very easy to use in full manual with the two dials, and the battery lasts drat near forever.

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

Yeah I certainly understand the RX100 love. I'll go check out the mirorless thread but I'm afraid I'll fall down the rabbit hole of buying gear for it when I should be spending money on my slr kit.

MeKeV
Aug 10, 2010
I actually think the Fuji X20 should be a consideration when looking at the G1X and similar, despite the smaller sensor.
I've recently gone from an X10 to an X100 and what surprises me is how well the X10 pictures stack up, all things considered.
I havent used an X20, but it improves on my biggest issue with the X10, the semi useless OVF. Plus it's supposed to be much quicker too.

Perhaps a little biased on my part, but it's another camera for you to look at at least.

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

I really like the X20, especially the manual zoom. The only thing I don't like is the sensor size. I think my perfect camera would be an x100 with a zoom.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
It's amazing how much a manual zoom improves the feel of a point and shoot. I like the images out of my RX100 better, but the X20 is certainly a pleasing camera in the hand.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

Yeah that fly by wire poo poo is so imprecise. I almost always have to do some additional feet/arm zooming to get it exactly where I want.

• Locked thread