Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

ThePhenomenalBaby posted:

There really isn't a good reason why your weapon damage doesn't scale linearly, so those mods don't have to exist.

I actually agree that our current percentage-based damage boost "stack all the elements" glorious savior Damage 2.0 is kind of bland and lovely, but I have a hard time mentally working out how they could change it to focus on weapons scaling in power with level without scrapping their current "level weapons to 30, forma reset them" system or going down some weird hybrid path where they keep current mods but have weapons scale according to level as well(in which case weapons would become even more weirdly balanced due to scaling damage affecting mod bonuses). It's a tough nut to crack.

Damage 2.0 in its current incarnation is pretty much a total failure. It completely failed to address the entire issue it was created for, which was high level heavies and armored enemies being borderline invincible to all but a few brokenly overpowered weapons.

AndroidHub posted:

Unless you are out of other frames to get, don't get him, he is possibly the worst frame after valkyr, everything he does is done by other frames and with more synergy, Loki has a better teleport and invis, the shuriken are just a basic nuke, and his ult isn't really worth slotting. He is maybe alright if you just don't like Loki but want a stealth frame to solo/scan with(though Loki is one of the best frames in the game). To make him better they need to make his shuriken more unique/useful, make his teleport useful in some way (making it just move you a certain distance in direction you're aiming would probably do the trick). And either completely change his ult or make it complete a hell of a lot faster once cast. Every skill he has is lackluster and none of them contribute to a group in any meaningful way.

Holy poo poo, Ash isn't even close to the worst frame while Nekros exists. Ash is a relatively tanky warframe with above average move speed and an invisibility button. That's really all that needs to be said. You could remove all three of his other abilities and he would still be pretty loving solid. Yeah, his invis doesn't last quite as long as Loki's and he's not quite as fast, but in return he's more than twice as durable. His other skills range from okay(Shuriken, Bladestorm) to bad(teleport), but he's no worse off than any other middle of the road warframe and he's certainly not bad, jesus. He's perfectly fine if you want to play a fast invisible dude but don't want to have 500 shields with a max redirection.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

DE is basically boxed in by some extremely poor design decisions that they made earlier, and scrapping everything is going to be rough because people are already paying into the system.

Sure, they could wipe the system and refund the platinum, but that would make a ton of people just up and quit since the game is nothing but a barefaced Skinner box. There really is no good solution. If anyone isn't comfortable with the idea of Warframe being wonky as poo poo over its entire lifetime, they shouldn't be playing this game long-term or investing too much into it.

wid
Sep 7, 2005
Living in paradise (only bombed once)
They did say they're revamping the new player experience/tutorial. If anything, they could make the tutorial mission in smaller, less messed up Derelict stage. Give them MK-1 with few bullets so they'd have to switch to use the Lato. After the tutorial is finished, give them a blueprint for Braton, that only requires Ferrite or the usual drops in Mercury. Then make them earn the resources for playing a few levels of Mercury. Then you can teach them how to use the Foundry.

Kanos posted:

Holy poo poo, Ash isn't even close to the worst frame while Nekros exists. Ash is a relatively tanky warframe with above average move speed and an invisibility button. That's really all that needs to be said. You could remove all three of his other abilities and he would still be pretty loving solid. Yeah, his invis doesn't last quite as long as Loki's and he's not quite as fast, but in return he's more than twice as durable. His other skills range from okay(Shuriken, Bladestorm) to bad(teleport), but he's no worse off than any other middle of the road warframe and he's certainly not bad, jesus. He's perfectly fine if you want to play a fast invisible dude but don't want to have 500 shields with a max redirection.

Ash is my favorite Warframe and I'm slowly Forma-ing him to max out everything. The only reason is because he's so loving ninja. If you're playing this game other than for poo poo and giggles at being a space ninja and instead min-max everything, you're doing it sub-optimally. I see a truckload of enemy, I yell "Time to get stylish", press 4 and make one-liners every time he stabs someone in the face. If he gets bored waiting for someone at extraction, he'd make a facepalm and then doing taichi poo poo. Because he's a space ninja. You can keep your overpowered fatfuck and anime nuclear schoolgirl. I'm a goddamn space ninja and I'm too cool for your min-maxing.

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.
Have to admit that my new favourite frame is quickly becoming Valkyr. Going berserk and screaming at everything with a mage glasscannon build is pretty fun for me. The only way they could make it better for me is to reanimate her Hysteria melee to be more spinny-slashy. And to temporarily make all enemies look like Alad V whispering "Zanuuuuka" in various timbres and tones. Also have her scream constantly and inhumanly. Like the dying screech of an Infested Ancient, only with more abject fury and horror and less deflating balloon.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

I'm enjoying figuring out Valkyr, I crafted her up last night and went rocking with a Penta, Akvasto and Lecta/Lectis(?) and I'm having fun. After she's at rank 30 I think I may punish myself and work towards Nekros or Ember Prime.

E: Actually as I have two slots, I'll go for Nekros and Rhino, leaving the only original Warframe I don't own being Mag and Vauban, although I can craft him now.

Bruc
May 30, 2006
Valkyr really is fun as hell, I just wish they made her a bit...better, since she is pretty worthless outside of using her ultimate. It's like she was intentionally designed to be poo poo outside of using it with so many melee oriented skills but with poo poo durability that makes her unable to really take advantage of them.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Is it worth stacking armour and HP on her over shields? her base shields are pretty diabolical.

Denzine
Sep 2, 2011

One time, I did a thing.
Delphi and I tested her armor durability on low level corpus. I had maxed Steel Fiber, lv7 Blind Rage and maxed Focus for +102% damage total.

Corpus were doing 21 damage to shields. To hp, they did 18 damage without the armor buff. With the armor buff(and Roar), they did 9 damage.

awful.

edit: just retested, 7 damage on shields to 4 damage to hp with the buff up(no Roar).

awful.

Denzine fucked around with this message at 11:41 on Dec 18, 2013

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.
Heya,

I requested invite to goonclan about two weeks ago and haven't gotten an invite yet.

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

Heya,

I requested invite to goonclan about two weeks ago and haven't gotten an invite yet.
The Warframe username you provided doesn't exist. Are you on PS4 or PC?

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

Helter Skelter posted:

The Warframe username you provided doesn't exist. Are you on PS4 or PC?

:bang: I am on pc. I prolly gave the wrong ID -- its: thernghateme

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer
Are these infested ship clearing missions on PS4 going to be a regular thing moving forward?

Just curious. They're a bit repetitive but on the other hand I've gotten blueprints for both types of potatoes from them.

Also I have to make the decision as to whether I want to build Rhino or Trinity first. I assume the decision boils down to whether I want to play a support class or not; is Trinity actually fun?

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

Tortolia posted:

Are these infested ship clearing missions on PS4 going to be a regular thing moving forward?

Just curious. They're a bit repetitive but on the other hand I've gotten blueprints for both types of potatoes from them.

Also I have to make the decision as to whether I want to build Rhino or Trinity first. I assume the decision boils down to whether I want to play a support class or not; is Trinity actually fun?

They're on PC too. Basically they did away with the old infested missions and instead implemented them as an "invasion" thing. I actually like it -- the infested survival one on Mars last night was pretty fun and I walked away with like 30 morphics.

I built my second frame as a Trinity and it was pretty fun. They need to buff her base armor a little bit, but being able to tank stuff with Link up and spot removal with Well of Life are both pretty handy.

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

:bang: I am on pc. I prolly gave the wrong ID -- its: thernghateme
You should have an invite waiting for you now.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
One of the biggest thing they could do to both improve the new player experience and make picking weapon mods more interesting than just "all the damage mods" is to fold the straight +damage (Serration etc) and multishot mods into the weapon as it levels. As it is now, literally every player who has those mods has them leveled as much as possible and equipped on every weapon, because they are by far the best weapons mods. Meanwhile new players struggle for quite a while until they can get them, because their damage is so much lower than vets who have those high level mods. If you just fold those into weapon leveling, now everyone is on a more even slope. And because you freed up two mod slots and points, you have space for a greater variety of weapon loadouts.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

Helter Skelter posted:

You should have an invite waiting for you now.

Cool cool. Thanks, glad I posted to the thread now.

Piell posted:

One of the biggest thing they could do to both improve the new player experience and make picking weapon mods more interesting than just "all the damage mods" is to fold the straight +damage (Serration etc) and multishot mods into the weapon as it levels. As it is now, literally every player who has those mods has them leveled as much as possible and equipped on every weapon, because they are by far the best weapons mods. Meanwhile new players struggle for quite a while until they can get them, because their damage is so much lower than vets who have those high level mods. If you just fold those into weapon leveling, now everyone is on a more even slope. And because you freed up two mod slots and points, you have space for a greater variety of weapon loadouts.

Honestly, I think the grinding for basic upgrades is worse, and then once you do you have to wait like three days for a new warframe and 12hrs+ for any new item for no real reason.

ThePhenomenalBaby
May 3, 2011

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

Cool cool. Thanks, glad I posted to the thread now.

Honestly, I think the grinding for basic upgrades is worse, and then once you do you have to wait like three days for a new warframe and 12hrs+ for any new item for no real reason.

the real reason for the wait is DE's last desperate grasp to get some plat out of your coffers

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

the real reason for the wait is DE's last desperate grasp to get some plat out of your coffers

As I said, no real reason.

Like I am used to being nickled and dimed for silly stuff -- I have like 900 hours of goddamn Vindictus played and I don't even want to know how much money I've spent on the Best Free Game of All Time, League of Legends -- but like making you wait for some of the T1 stuff is really silly.

Honestly they should basically tier the build times so that stuff like a Burston or whatever have relatively low build times, but stuff like, say Siccarus Prime, have the longer build times. That's really my biggest complaint is that they gate you so hard early in the game, and then late game when they should be gating power it really doesn't matter anymore.

ThePhenomenalBaby
May 3, 2011

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

Honestly they should basically tier the build times so that stuff like a Burston or whatever have relatively low build times, but stuff like, say Siccarus Prime, have the longer build times. That's really my biggest complaint is that they gate you so hard early in the game, and then late game when they should be gating power it really doesn't matter anymore.

Yea but what are ya gonna do DE is dumb as gently caress.

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
I'm going to wait for Melee and Movement 2.0 for a while. SS 13 seems more fun currently.

Denzine
Sep 2, 2011

One time, I did a thing.

Piell posted:

No you don't, because you still have elemental mods adding damage and crit mods adding yet more damage.

You replace "serration, multishot" with "elemental, crit".

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

Denzine posted:

No you don't, because you still have elemental mods adding damage and crit mods adding yet more damage.

You replace "serration, multishot" with "elemental, crit".

Crit mods add a minimal amount of damage to many weapons and wouldn't even be worth slotting on a bunch of them over something else.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

The real reason they don't fold the base damage mods into just leveling a weapon is that they wouldn't be able to get away with not refunding people's cores and credits for leveling them, and refunding the trillions of cores pumped into a single maxed serration would make their servers explode.

MrDude
Jun 23, 2011

Yea but what are ya gonna do DE is dumb as gently caress.

It blows my mind you can pay 75 plat for an Excalibur/Mag/Loki/Volt, which includes a slot and potato, or you can spend 50 just to skip the build process (which probably takes less time than the actual farming part when you're just starting).

Cowboybot
Sep 27, 2007
On a steel horse I ride

Lawlicaust posted:

Ignis, Embolist, Synapse, and Flux Rifle are pretty good. Supra isn't bad either.

Supra is terrible. Travel time on bullets, inaccurate, low damage.

Supra turns you into a storm trooper.

Thranguy
Apr 21, 2010

Deceitful and black-hearted, perhaps we are. But we would never go against the Code. Well, perhaps for good reasons. But mostly never.
Does anyone know what the trick to getting a mic to work in PS4 Warframe itself is? Mine works fine in other games and in party chat, but not in the game itself at all.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I remember being really excited about the supra because I heard it was good from somewhere, and then couldn't hit anything at all because the shots are even slower than things can run. The Dera is way better and more fun if you want a science-shooting laser gun.

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC
Bad news today. No PS4 patches or hotfixes before next year. Confirmation that anti-moas aren't dropping pathogen rounds until the next patch.

Crowbear
Jun 17, 2009

You freak me out, man!

Lawlicaust posted:

Bad news today. No PS4 patches or hotfixes before next year. Confirmation that anti-moas aren't dropping pathogen rounds until the next patch.

Merry Christmas! :negative:

Doji Sekushi
Dec 26, 2006

HI

Lawlicaust posted:

So no Void captures or mobile defense for a few weeks then.

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC

DEMegan posted:

PS4 Tenno!

Due to End-of-Year schedules, we are capping off the year for any more builds (hotfixes included).

Having said that, it looks like we’ll be getting PS4 Trophies in with the next deploy in early 2014, and will be one step closer to the rainbow bridge, which isn't a bad way to start off the New Year!

Happy Holidays!

Our game is really broken and we aren't fixing poo poo for a few weeks!

And in early 2014 (February is early right?) you'll be getting trophies! And this information is all really disappointing but hey look over here, I'm going to mention account migration and pretend that's something we're going to be able to do! Yay, we're still totally going to be able to do account migration and parity. Yessir. Now forget all the bad news!

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Thranguy posted:

Does anyone know what the trick to getting a mic to work in PS4 Warframe itself is? Mine works fine in other games and in party chat, but not in the game itself at all.

Are you talking about the stock one that the PS4 comes with that plugs into the DS4? I'm not sure but when I plugged in a headset into my USB port, it worked.

Also, I may as well ask here: when goons invite me to their party, I try to join, then I get "failed to join session" which is annoying as heck. I forwarded ports, uPnP is enabled on my router, and Warframe isn't giving me any errors. However if I invite people to a party, it works that way (which Doji and Crowbear saw last night). Any ideas on what I should do for a hotfix?

TheBlandName
Feb 5, 2012

Gestalt Intellect posted:

I remember being really excited about the supra because I heard it was good from somewhere, and then couldn't hit anything at all because the shots are even slower than things can run. The Dera is way better and more fun if you want a science-shooting laser gun.

The Supra was capable of solo killing Jackal or Phorid in one clip. Back when that was actually an accomplishment because there were no Formas, no corrupted mods, no nightmare mods, and Mag was terrible.

fookolt
Mar 13, 2012

Where there is power
There is resistance
What mods should I put on a Grakata (other than the ammo capacity one obviously)? I feel like the damage numbers are so low that Serration won't really make a dent so maybe focus on crit chance and crit damage since it already has such a high crit chance?

And is Mag really as good as people say it is?

ambient oatmeal
Jun 23, 2012

fookolt posted:

And is Mag really as good as people say it is?

Pull makes everything either die or it makes a big pile of half dead guys you can shoot bullets at, or Crush just makes everything die. It's quite good.

The Jumpoff
May 4, 2011
Your dad's in the Russian Mafia, that's the jumpoff!

Enter Char posted:

Pull makes everything either die or it makes a big pile of half dead guys you can shoot bullets at, or Crush just makes everything die. It's quite good.

Not to mention Shield Polarize now absolutely wrecks Corpus. It's fun to see Mag swirl her hands and then see a flurry of experience numbers pop up.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Anyone else running Windows 8? I just upgraded yesterday, and now I can't alt-tab out. All that happens is I see the Windows cursor instead of the Warframe one until I alt-tab again or just click.

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

Enter Char posted:

Sometimes crush doesn't kill enemies, but they still get turned into cubes :stonk:

Cathair
Jan 7, 2008
The beauty of shield polarize is that it scales with enemy level, because more shields = more damage! :science: It's actually more devastating than Molecular Prime against high level corpus. Combined with Molecular Prime, it can kill everything forever. And if things are still clinging to life, just hide behind a corner while their shields come back and nuke 'em again.

Keep in mind that it also instantly restores your Mag's own considerable shield reserves, as well as the shields of everyone on your team. It costs 50 energy, so with a 75% power efficiency build you can just spam it forever, keeping everyone topped off and the enemies constantly exploding. Despite being very faction-specific, Shield Polarize is an excellent skill.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clocks
Oct 2, 2007

Cathair posted:

The beauty of shield polarize is that it scales with enemy level, because more shields = more damage! :science: It's actually more devastating than Molecular Prime against high level corpus. Combined with Molecular Prime, it can kill everything forever. And if things are still clinging to life, just hide behind a corner while their shields come back and nuke 'em again.

Keep in mind that it also instantly restores your Mag's own considerable shield reserves, as well as the shields of everyone on your team. It costs 50 energy, so with a 75% power efficiency build you can just spam it forever, keeping everyone topped off and the enemies constantly exploding. Despite being very faction-specific, Shield Polarize is an excellent skill.

I actually had no idea about any of this and didn't keep it slotted, and decided today would be a good day to join a random T3 defense to see how those go.

My new teammates were not happy to learn I didn't have that skill on me. :negative: But now I know and I've slotted it for next time I play!