Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WastedJoker
Oct 29, 2011

Fiery the angels fell. Deep thunder rolled around their shoulders... burning with the fires of Orc.
Masterchef spoilers ahoy!

I was rooting for Scott but I don't mind Steven winning.

Andy could barely hide the seethe though.

For a moment I thought they were going to announce Scott/Steve as joint winners.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seaside Loafer
Feb 7, 2012

Waiting for a train, I needed a shit. You won't bee-lieve what happened next

ThomasPaine posted:

I'm still not sure where I stand on Toast of London. I've watched a few but I don't find it compulsive viewing in the same way as, say, Peep Show.
Hang in there, it got better and better I found as you get to know the characters and the last one was loving hilarious.

spoilered just in case but its just a c+p from the wiki and doesnt really give anything away:

Having lost a lot of money to Andrew Lloyd Webber in a celebrity poker game, Toast resorts to desperate measures, and ends up in a life or death showdown with Ray Purchase and Webber's enforcer, Michael Ball.

e: Matt Berry has an amazing voice and delivery, its a shame he isnt a standup (as far as I know) if he had a killer hour it would be awesome.

Seaside Loafer fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Dec 12, 2013

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010

WastedJoker posted:

Masterchef spoilers ahoy!

I loved how annoyed Michel Roux Jr was with Adam. Can't argue with the chosen winner, his dishes tonight looked pretty loving nice.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
The only reason Steve won over Scott was the latter's advancing years and giant block-shaped head. They lavished the same superlatives on both of them, but with Scott they always prefaced with "he's solid."
If you want to win Masterchef get a flash hair cut.
Also did anyone watch The Fairytale Castles of King Ludwig II last night? It's a cheap-way to tour mad Ludwig's architectural confections (one of them was the inspiration for the Disney logo donchaknow), which really made the prog worthwhile. Cruickshank's commentary was one-note, hawing on the artifice of pretend-power modeled after Wagner and Louis XIII (repeat that for an hour while moving the stresses around and you're there). It was also irritatingly uninformed at parts. Why guess at whether the building's made from concrete or lime, just loving ask someone.
It was followed by Patisserie with Michel Roux Jr, a tour of the grotesque and creepy world of French cake-fuckers. I've got to commend it for starting with a scene where Roux tells all English baking it's poo poo though.

Al2001
Apr 7, 2007

You've gone through at the back
I'm so in love with Candice from Fresh Meat it's pathetic.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
I enjoy all scenes featuring Sam.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo
They are both wonderful characters. Great additions.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

So it was just the first four Him and Her episodes that were put on iplayer a week early? That's a bit poo poo and pointless.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

What's up with the sudden tumbleweed in this thread? Is everyone suffering from a dearth of interesting television viewing?

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
It's the calm before the Christmas storm.

Seaside Loafer
Feb 7, 2012

Pablo Bluth posted:

What's up with the sudden tumbleweed in this thread? Is everyone suffering from a dearth of interesting television viewing?
Because its mostly all complete loving poo poo? To be fair I recently discovered fresh meat from the thread. Quite funny, watched all of series 1 in a week, started on 2. Suprisingly moving in places and I do enjoy Jack Whitehall, his chatshow thing on BBC with his dad is worth a try as well.

DaWolfey
Oct 25, 2003

College Slice
*Jacks Dad says something scripted with poor delivery*
*Jack mocks incredulity*
*Audience laughs*

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

I watched a Through the Keyhole Christmas special with Keith Lemon and I'd just like to say I don't get it.

justcola
May 22, 2004

La-Li-Lu-Le-Lo

I tend to feel a bit stumped now when I watch television, as it's all catch-up and I can choose what to watch I find I don't actually want to watch that much. The most recent thing I enjoyed was the Charlie Brooker documentary, since then it's just been bits like Toast Of London, Gogglebox and that documentary about Machiavelli with Peter Capaldi reading out some passages and her from Dragon's Den saying she is more or less a psychopath. There's new Vic and Bob next year, but that's next year.

Christmas is usually a festival for television though. I quite like any kind of Christmas & horror combination, like 'Whistle and I'll Come To You', so if there's anything like that on I'll probably like it.

edit: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_Ghost_Story_for_Christmas#Episode_list yes!

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

I see What Happens in Kavos is still mad as ever. Just buckets and buckets of alcohol and overindulging leading to absolute chaos. And many, many Headfuckers.

I always feel a bit sorry for the main doctor, nobody ever takes his advice. Guy has terrible reaction to possibly spiked drink, suggests he shouldn't have any more alcohol that holiday, out boozing the day he gets out. Smashes poo poo out of knee after piggyback catastrophe, bandaged up, told to go to bed, goes straight back out, more alcohol, more piggybacks, all while looking like Mr. Bump.

Really, it makes Bouncers seem tame and quiet by comparison. Mesmerising to watch.

Seaside Loafer
Feb 7, 2012

DaWolfey posted:

*Jack mocks incredulity*
*Audience laughs*
Fair enough but its better than eastenders

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Being stapled to Jeremy Beadle's better than Eastenders.

Last thing I watched was Derren Brown's art robbery, which was interesting (and I'm ashamed to say, caught me out with the fake fail). It felt slightly sparse, but still interesting and some nice moments when he explains why he uses retired people.

Apart from that, I suppose thinking about it the wife and I tend to mostly be on the Xbox, internet or watching boxed sets. We just got given Sherlock, so we're really, REALLY enjoying that right now.

WastedJoker
Oct 29, 2011

Fiery the angels fell. Deep thunder rolled around their shoulders... burning with the fires of Orc.

DaWolfey posted:

*Jack mocks incredulity*
*Audience laughs*

They seemed alright on One Show last night so it's probably just a scripting issue.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

Holy crap last night's Fresh Meat was fantastic

Also goth Candice :fap:

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

Pablo Bluth posted:

We're all in the general chat thread participating in a pivotal debate over the value of Joss Whedon's works and Felicia Day's nerd cred :negative:

Padje
Sep 10, 2003

I don't much care for the attitude of filthy money-lenders

McDragon posted:

I see What Happens in Kavos is still mad as ever. Just buckets and buckets of alcohol and overindulging leading to absolute chaos. And many, many Headfuckers.

I always feel a bit sorry for the main doctor, nobody ever takes his advice. Guy has terrible reaction to possibly spiked drink, suggests he shouldn't have any more alcohol that holiday, out boozing the day he gets out. Smashes poo poo out of knee after piggyback catastrophe, bandaged up, told to go to bed, goes straight back out, more alcohol, more piggybacks, all while looking like Mr. Bump.

Really, it makes Bouncers seem tame and quiet by comparison. Mesmerising to watch.

I find ...Kavos compulsive viewing when I happen to catch it. I feel a lot of conflict. On one hand, I've done some bizarre and stupid things in my drinking time, and been privy to worse. On the other, if I was around these people on a night out I'd want to hit them. I was watching 4 young lads having a Drinking Court on a boring sunny afternoon. One drank a pint of human piss. One a pint of fish (and maybe piss?). One drank a pint of sick. I say drank - they were all attempts. But there was no spontaneity, a photocopy of a photocopy of creativity, and done not as a game but just to fill the time and seemingly to prove something to themselves and others (that they have no bottom, maybe. I don't know). Obviously we're meant to be shocked and sneer at these vile people, and it was pretty easy to do, as they gobbled down alien liquid and vomited it back up into a communal bucket - not something they'd do by themselves, alone in their rooms, but because a group of people were hovering nearby with expectant faces. It made you wonder how they got there. Then the next night I saw a few minutes of I'm a Celebrity Get Me Out of Here, in which Matthew Wright had a large insect pulled from his ear drum, two casualties in a wicked game where the prize is exposure and some chicken nuggets for that night's dinner.

I've been watching and loving this show Geeks on E4. It's similar to a show Sky One used to show, where they'd get some girls and some boys and put them in a house in Marbella or Ibiza and hope they have sex for the camera. The difference here is these 'contestants' are neeeeeerrrrrrrdddds out of their environment. The first week was interesting. A gaggle of university girls who play made-up sport Quidditch were thrown into a Marbs house with some lads who like doing experiments (2 of which looked and sounded like stand-up comedian Jon Richardson). Neither group was as neckbeardy as you'd think/hope, and 3 of the 4 girls made a go of things (the outsider one seemed to be having a breakdown). They were taken out by a Party Man named Russ. He had nice clothes and a haircut that cost money. He was an alright dude. They get to meet the people they sit at home and imagine hate them, and find out the reality is very different, and they all have a laugh together. It's the arrogance of geeks to think they appear on the radar of strangers at all. Everyone learns something, then they go home.

The second week had BOOK READING GIRLS and VIDEO GAME PLAYING BOYS. This one was hilarious/sad. The boys arrived first and thought they had the house to themselves. The girls turned up and tried to say hello, but the boys just stared off into the distance, completely afraid. I've seen adults behave this way in real life. Later one girl goes for one of the boys and even though he fancies her, he runs off home. At a party the girls complain about how the mere existence of other girls hanging around at the party is making them feel bad, and that these girls were people who bullied them in school (all imaginary). This show is not going to be able to address the social problems some of these people have, but when 2 of the housemates share a kiss, it's kind of sweet.

Answers Me
Apr 24, 2012

Al2001 posted:

I'm so in love with Candice from Fresh Meat it's pathetic.

Ha same here. I've never been lame enough to have a crush on a TV character before, but goddrat :swoon:

Roobsa
May 1, 2011

Just watched Last Tango In Halifax for the first time. Wish I discovered it early as it's brilliant. Very funny with a great cast.

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

I caught a bit of this, I'm guessing it was the book/game nerds one and the guys hogged 3 of the rooms in a 4 bedroom house and couldn't see a problem with it.

Yuran M. Bazil
Jun 20, 2008

Is it still a controversial opinion in this thread to say that i actually find Jack Whitehall pretty funny or should i just not bother?

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

I know we had the Video Game thing recently, but should I be expecting a Brooker Wipe of the year this Christmas?

Also a Big Fat Quiz, i just checked wikipedia and there's one of those on the way.

Teams are The 2013 edition will air on 26 December 2013. The teams will be:
Jack Whitehall and Jonathan Ross
Dara Ó Briain and Kristen Schaal
Richard Ayoade and Noel Fielding

I don't know if that needed spoilering but I'll play it safe.

I approve of all of these except the first name on team one, but given the other teammate he might calm down a little compared to other episodes.

Also having an american might be interesting. I don't think we've had one of those before.

^^^^ Whitehall, he can be funny, but he can over do it at times as well.

BSam fucked around with this message at 09:40 on Dec 18, 2013

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I have more issues with the second name on the first team.

An Ounce of Gold
Jul 13, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Yuran M. Bazil posted:

Is it still a controversial opinion in this thread to say that i actually find Jack Whitehall pretty funny or should i just not bother?

I think he's solid on Buzzcocks when he hosts and was alright on QI, but then again I'm a big dumb American so what do I know?

:siren:BIG DUMB AMERICAN OPINION INCOMING:siren:

I've been cruising through a few British shows that don't get talked about much in here so let's have a go!

Misfits - Great show. It just recently ended and I've loved almost every moment of it. I thought there were only two bad episodes for the entire run, many average, and some amazing. If you tuned out when Nathan left then you are a twat. Joe Gilgun knocked it out of the park as Rudy. The ability to let me know which character he is by just looking at his face and his demeanor is great. I wouldn't mind seeing him in more things in the future. I never watched Ripper Street but seeing that it's cancelled probably isn't a good time to get into it.

The Wrong Mans - Another great show! Like Whitehall, you Brits hate on James Corden a lot, but I only know him as Craig from Doctor Who so he's alright in my book. If you haven't checked out The Wrong Mans and like spy action/comedy then you probably should. It doesn't play the action completely straight and it doesn't completely mock the genre they are in either so the show ends up feeling like North by Northwest meets The Man Who Knew Too Little. It's just six episodes and it was strong enough that it probably could have been released as a movie if it was reedited.

Yonderland - This show is horrible and yet I keep watching it! A parody fantasy spoof show? Yes please. Some of the gags in this work great and others fall flat on their face. I guess to me it's worth sitting through the groaners to get to the good stuff. What confuses me is who is the target audience for Yonderland? It looks like a kids show with it Henson-esque puppetry, but has adult humor throughout the entire thing. It's very strange and I'm glad it exists.

Toast of London - YES I CAN HEAR YOU CLEM FANDANGO! Matt Berry is hilarious. Darkplace, The Mighty Boosh, The It Crowd and now this. The only thing I didn't care for too much was Snuff Box, but maybe I should give it another try after flying through Toast. I'd like to see a second series of ToL.

Hello Ladies - Ok this is technically not a British show, but it is created by Stephen Merchant so I'm talking about it. Merchant and Gervais have awkward comedy down to a pat. I know Gervais isn't involved here, but I feel the same awkwardness while watching Merchant in Hello Ladies as I did in the original The Office. It's basically a giant nerdy douche bag trying to make a connection with a woman each episode and it works. I don't know if I should like/hate Merchant's character or feel bad for him.

Dirk Gently - Brilliant. I know this is old, but I only recently found out that it existed from this thread. It was great. Dirk comes off as an poor man's Sherlock. I now want a Dirk/Sherlock cross over where we get a scene of Watson and MacDuff getting acquainted while bitching about their partners. Why are there not more of these (and you aren't allowed to quote me saying I recently found out that it existed as an answer)?

I'm running out of British shows to watch!

BSam posted:

Teams are The 2013 edition will air on 26 December 2013. The teams will be:
Jack Whitehall and Jonathan Ross
Dara Ó Briain and Kristen Schaal
Richard Ayoade and Noel Fielding

I don't know if that needed spoilering but I'll play it safe.

Nuts to casting spoilers, what is Kristen Schaal doing on a British comedy panel quiz show? Awesome. She's hilarious in almost everything she does 30 Rock, Bob's Burgers, Daily Show, 1st season of The Heart, She Holler.

E: As a side not I just found out that if you search for something IMDB doesn't understand then the 500 code message is "Hello, IT. Have you tried turning it off and on again?" Nice.

An Ounce of Gold fucked around with this message at 10:29 on Dec 18, 2013

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich
James Corden was alright in History Boys and Starter for Ten (and maaaaayyybe Gavin and Stacey), but has been an insufferable smug oval office in everything else. Getting cheeky with Sir Patrick Stewart was the final straw :argh:

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

Pablo Bluth posted:

I have more issues with the second name on the first team.

Because of the amount he's been on?

His eagerness to win I hope will reign in his teammate like I mentioned above.

Dara was brilliant in recent episode miming baystation etc.

I think the only terrible one was with Miranda. I enjoy rewatching any of the others.

Misfits is brilliant, I do miss Nathan but replacing his with Rudy was Genius.

Yonderland i gave up after two episodes. I kind of enjoyed those two episodes, but that was enough, I don't want more of the same. Stick to history guys.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

There is a 2013 Wipe, Brooker mentioned on Twitter. Not sure of a TX date though.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

That's.... an OK looking Big Fat Quiz line-up, actually.

Although Richard Ayode being on the 'wacky team who get things wrong on purpose' seems to bring him down. It'd be better if they teamed him up with Dara and Kristen Schaal with Noel Fielding.

Xachariah
Jul 26, 2004

I can't believe out of that line-up people are complaining about Jack Whitehall instead of Noel Fielding.

Sure Jack Whitehall was a bit poo poo when he started but that was a few years ago, people improve. Unless their whole shtick is being all monkey cheese random and looking extremely embarrassed after saying something.

You know Noel Fielding is going to purposefully give wacky answers, at least Whitehall might make a couple of jokes.

Seaside Loafer
Feb 7, 2012

Xachariah posted:

You know Noel Fielding is going to purposefully give wacky answers, at least Whitehall might make a couple of jokes.
And I always just want to give the twat a smack when he is wearing his latest wacky outfit, loving bunny ears the other night. Its all 'oohh look how meta meta ironic i am', annoys me no end.

Wezzo
Sep 15, 2007
Rated PG
2013 Wipe is on BBC2 on the 28th at 10:40pm.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

Xachariah posted:

I have hate enough in my heart for more than one comedian. Indeed, it can encompass the entire quiz-show format.

Padje
Sep 10, 2003

I don't much care for the attitude of filthy money-lenders
Schaal was a great Buzzcocks host. As was Johnny Vegas the other night. I'm starting to hate parts of the show. The first round needs changing. They take a real scenario (Lionel Ritchie bought a fleet of cars for christmas) and add two fake ones (Lionel Richie bought a bit of the moon. Lionel Richie likes ham), give the contestants props that signify these, and they have to work out which one is real. The real one isn't that funny, and the fake ones are already jokes, so asking a team of one comedian and two singers to make jokes about it is an unbelievably tall order - and that's going on the lie that the jokes are spontaneous. The jokes are pre-written, the writers can't make these scenarios funny.

Has Jupitus always been this creepy? He was bad around Diana Vickers, but his behaviour towards Emma Willis was stomach churning. I've also noticed how upset he gets if anyone takes any attention for themselves.

Answers Me
Apr 24, 2012

Padje posted:

Schaal was a great Buzzcocks host. As was Johnny Vegas the other night. I'm starting to hate parts of the show. The first round needs changing. They take a real scenario (Lionel Ritchie bought a fleet of cars for christmas) and add two fake ones (Lionel Richie bought a bit of the moon. Lionel Richie likes ham), give the contestants props that signify these, and they have to work out which one is real. The real one isn't that funny, and the fake ones are already jokes, so asking a team of one comedian and two singers to make jokes about it is an unbelievably tall order - and that's going on the lie that the jokes are spontaneous. The jokes are pre-written, the writers can't make these scenarios funny.

Has Jupitus always been this creepy? He was bad around Diana Vickers, but his behaviour towards Emma Willis was stomach churning. I've also noticed how upset he gets if anyone takes any attention for themselves.

Jupitus is the most chronically unfunny comedian I've ever come across. He's terrible at the best of times, but on Buzzcocks he's complacent as gently caress and just coasts along on his own sense of self-importance. He's just so unnatural at trying to be funny, like he's trying so drat hard to think of a joke for every scenario but almost never pulls it off. It's painful

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Xachariah posted:

I can't believe out of that line-up people are complaining about Jack Whitehall instead of Noel Fielding.

Sure Jack Whitehall was a bit poo poo when he started but that was a few years ago, people improve. Unless their whole shtick is being all monkey cheese random and looking extremely embarrassed after saying something.

I think they're both poo poo at almost everything they do, but Whitehall has Fresh Meat and hes genuinely a huge reason why that show is so good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WastedJoker
Oct 29, 2011

WeAreTheRomans posted:

James Corden was alright in History Boys and Starter for Ten (and maaaaayyybe Gavin and Stacey), but has been an insufferable smug oval office in everything else. Getting cheeky with Sir Patrick Stewart was the final straw :argh:

To be fair to Corden, Sir Patrick was a bit of a dick in that situation.