Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI

ManSeriesBrofist posted:

So a few weeks ago I said I didn't have any good ideas for poses for my MG RX-78 3.0. I remedied that.

You're not doing it right, you need to take his head and arm off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SethSeries
Sep 10, 2013

TaurusOxford posted:

Pfft, some God. Any scrub can do the final shot pose. :colbert:

Say that to the Full Armor staying up. In all seriousness he's pulled off some neat ideas. We used to have the VK Nu deadlocked in a fight with the VK Sinanju and some other fun stuff.

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you
MG Sengoku Astray hell YEAH.

Posing gunpla owns, it's a good way to keep the dust off!

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

I'm not gonna lie though, after seeing build fighters and looking at your shelf, part of me wants a Mega Size Zaku, just so I can have a big loving Zaku. And maybe a Gundam, too.

SethSeries
Sep 10, 2013

Gammatron 64 posted:

I'm not gonna lie though, after seeing build fighters and looking at your shelf, part of me wants a Mega Size Zaku, just so I can have a big loving Zaku. And maybe a Gundam, too.

Both of them are rather awesome. However you can't really see it but we had to fix the horn on the Zaku because for some reason it snapped to the touch of a friend.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021
Sadly, finishing the actual hangar will have to wait until next year, but here is the completed PG Strike Gundam: http://imgur.com/abYMt40,TDLFmyg,0lDpZMl,mU4267e#0

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

TaurusOxford posted:

Sadly, finishing the actual hangar will have to wait until next year, but here is the completed PG Strike Gundam: http://imgur.com/abYMt40,TDLFmyg,0lDpZMl,mU4267e#0

I dunno, it only looks half-finished to me :v:. The gold looks great on the shoulder and ankle joints, but I'm not a fan of it on the fingers. Are you going to get the PG Skygrasper next? Also, out of curiosity as I haven't really had a chance to see one in-person, what's the actual size difference between an 1/144 kit and a 1/60 side-by-side?

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021
Well, I don't have an actual HG on hand to compare, so here's the closest thing I have:

1/250 scale GaoFighGar, which is on par with a standard 1/144 scale HG in terms of height.

Edit: Also, I do intend on getting the skygrasper after the holidays as well, which is gonna result in me needing to make a fairly large hangar...

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I dunno, it only looks half-finished to me :v:. The gold looks great on the shoulder and ankle joints, but I'm not a fan of it on the fingers. Are you going to get the PG Skygrasper next? Also, out of curiosity as I haven't really had a chance to see one in-person, what's the actual size difference between an 1/144 kit and a 1/60 side-by-side?

Dalong has you covered for the original Gundam at least:

http://dalong.net/review/pg/p01/p01_p.htm

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

It seems like gundam info is posting up youtube videos of gundam modelling tips.
http://www.youtube.com/user/GundamInfo/videos

There's some good advice here.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

Monaghan posted:

It seems like gundam info is posting up youtube videos of gundam modelling tips.
http://www.youtube.com/user/GundamInfo/videos

There's some good advice here.

Yeah, now I want to get some nice grit files instead of hacking off nubs with an x-acto knife and risk gouging holes in the part.

Anybody have any files they'd recommend?

SpikeMcclane
Sep 11, 2005

You want the story?
I'll spin it for you quick...
When posing models or toys, unless there's a specific/iconic pose I have in mind from the beginning, I just google image search sentai roll call poses and copy. They'll atleast not look boring and static.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

SpikeMcclane posted:

When posing models or toys, unless there's a specific/iconic pose I have in mind from the beginning, I just google image search sentai roll call poses and copy. They'll atleast not look boring and static.

I wish I had come up with that myself.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
Word from some reliable sources is that we'll be seeing HGUC Crossbone X-1 soon, and two new Build Fighter variants. Spoiled since I like the show too much to just drop them: a Sazabi-Nobell Gundam kitbash and an Exia variant.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

BlitzBlast posted:

Word from some reliable sources is that we'll be seeing HGUC Crossbone X-1 soon, and two new Build Fighter variants. Spoiled since I like the show too much to just drop them: a Sazabi-Nobell Gundam kitbash and an Exia variant.

OK after reading that first one I really have to start watching Build Fighters.

AzMiLion
Dec 29, 2010

Truck you say?

Midjack posted:

Do it!, it has a bunch of cool designs in it and so far has been pretty great. it's even been convncing people to get into gunpla such as Luminaflare and myself.

So, I'm tempted to grab one of the kits from the GBF series, more specifically the Gundam Wing Fenice(sp). but there's an issue, my fine motor skills are all kinds of hosed and i have issues with things like applying stickers and panel lining things(not gunpla, other small touchups on prepainted mini's and such.). The other issue is that I'm hella visually impaired and will usually miss small details and poo poo. so here's a question for the thread. Any other builders out there with similair motor skill fuckery that actually build gunpla and small models? Can i get around the couple of stickers on the Fenice(there's like 4 if i recall) by being creative with gundam markes and pens?
My final question is this, since there's a whole mishmash of series in the Gundam Build fighters line and from what Luminaflare told me there are sets ofgundam markes pertaining to the series. should i get the set that matches with the gundam Wing line for the best match to the show colours and the ones already on the model?

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
Edit; misunderstood the question, sorry.

ElBrak
Aug 24, 2004

"Muerte, buen compinche. Muerte."
I always wanted to do a Ez8/Gouf Custom kitbash. Cause if you think about it, if you could get the torso head and arm of the Ez8 out of that mountain there's a perfectly good set of Gouf Legs and a arm just lying around. :v:

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

BlitzBlast posted:

Any word on that hinted-at Heavyarms at all? And I'm not surprised to see yet another Exia variant. I'm gonna bet it's based on the damaged version, just for the sake of fun.

DookieSandwich
Nov 14, 2012

Gammatron 64 posted:

Yeah, now I want to get some nice grit files instead of hacking off nubs with an x-acto knife and risk gouging holes in the part.

Anybody have any files they'd recommend?

I've been using files from testors:http://www.testors.com/product/136934/8941T/_/Needle_Files_%2810%29 Pretty nice kit for 10 bucks and comes with triangles, square, flat, half round, and round files for all your needs. I also like to have a metal brush handy keep the files clean.

DookieSandwich fucked around with this message at 15:04 on Dec 18, 2013

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

DookieSandwich posted:

I've been using files from testors:http://www.testors.com/product/136934/8941T/_/Needle_Files_%2810%29 Pretty nice kit for 10 bucks and comes with triangles, square, flat, half round, and round files for all your needs. I also like to have a metal brush handy keep the files clean.

Sweet, I'll check to see if my local hobby store has them. I've been using mostly my x-acto and sanding sticks of various grits to sand and polish my kits, but this should help me in my war against nub marks.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

AzMiLion posted:

Do it!, it has a bunch of cool designs in it and so far has been pretty great. it's even been convncing people to get into gunpla such as Luminaflare and myself.

So, I'm tempted to grab one of the kits from the GBF series, more specifically the Gundam Wing Fenice(sp). but there's an issue, my fine motor skills are all kinds of hosed and i have issues with things like applying stickers and panel lining things(not gunpla, other small touchups on prepainted mini's and such.). The other issue is that I'm hella visually impaired and will usually miss small details and poo poo. so here's a question for the thread. Any other builders out there with similair motor skill fuckery that actually build gunpla and small models? Can i get around the couple of stickers on the Fenice(there's like 4 if i recall) by being creative with gundam markes and pens?
My final question is this, since there's a whole mishmash of series in the Gundam Build fighters line and from what Luminaflare told me there are sets ofgundam markes pertaining to the series. should i get the set that matches with the gundam Wing line for the best match to the show colours and the ones already on the model?

Most of the stickers that are too small to handle with pens or markers are small insignia or detail markings that you can usually leave off and the model will look fine. Ones that are too big to skip are typically large blocks of color that you can easily do with a marker. Panel lining is skippable; many kits will look OK without it.

You don't have to get the "Gundam Marker" brand either; there are other paint pens and permanent markers out there that can work though be careful - some of them take a couple of days to dry fully and some never really bond to the plastic and can be brushed off with a careless fingertip. Go with the colors that look good to you.

Offhand I would say this may not be the hobby for someone with your challenges, but give it a try. If you have fun doing it and are happy with what you build, rock on forever!

Luminaflare
Sep 23, 2010

No one man
should have all that
POWER BEYOND MEASURE

Seriously dude, just grab a kit and have a go. Worst case scenario you ruin one kit and have to buy some robotic actuators arms for precision assembly.

AzMiLion
Dec 29, 2010

Truck you say?

Welp, i know what I'm spending my christmas cash on, usually I'm flat broke and can't buy cool things. Ordering that sucker once i have some cash on hand. getting a panel liner soon to practice on some transformers and other plastic toys(Bumblebee's are like 5 bucks here, and i have some other things i want to do with that particular mold.)

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Midjack posted:

Pictures are up.

Mrs. Sazabi

Gundam Exia Dark Matter

And interesting enough, a new Build Booster.

New Booster A

0x0hShit
Mar 11, 2011
My 1/100 NG practice Flag as well as all the wonderful paints to royally ruin it up finally came in; I figured I haven't built a Gundam in a very long time so why should I start now? Have to admit that after seeing the 1/100 MG Build stuff that's coming out if I were to do it again I probably would go that route. Here's to hoping there will eventually be a MG Zaku Amazing, because hello day 1 impulse buy. :getin:

Have a question about assembly/paint order though. One of the things that was talked about in prep for seam filling was to cut down the pegs slightly and roughly build the kit so you'd know where it would need work. What type of cuts are we talking, like nick a small slice off the sides of the pegs or chop that bugger down nearly flush? On the painting angle (acrylics), is it Base Coat -> Paint Layer -> Paint Layer -> Futureshine Coat -> Paneling Wash -> Futureshine Coat, or is it done with coatings of future shine between the paint layers to preserve the lower layers in case I screw up and need to remove the color layer with water? Also, since this is a kit with locking joints and no frame, is it safe to put masking tape over top the previous paint layer or will I need to futureshine it first?

And finally, for the guys who use Vallejo's Model Colors in air brushes... is thinning needed for it? I've read everything from it being perfectly fine out of the bottle and into the brush to needing to dilute it down to a skim-milk consistency with distilled water. And lets actually double up on that question if the same applies to their alcohol metallic colors.

Stupid Build Fighters show. So effective at getting me to buy things. :v:

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Since I already put in a preorder for my big shiny turd of a robot MG Unicorn Phoenix, is there a good method/paint selection for making the nubs less glaringly obvious? I know there was some mention of putting a bit of candy coat on the spot, but what about a dab of shiny gold paint beneath it, and is just brushing it on the spot good enough?

So long as I can get it to look as consistent and eye-burning as possible, it's good for me.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン

0x0hShit posted:

My 1/100 NG practice Flag as well as all the wonderful paints to royally ruin it up finally came in; I figured I haven't built a Gundam in a very long time so why should I start now? Have to admit that after seeing the 1/100 MG Build stuff that's coming out if I were to do it again I probably would go that route. Here's to hoping there will eventually be a MG Zaku Amazing, because hello day 1 impulse buy. :getin:

Have a question about assembly/paint order though. One of the things that was talked about in prep for seam filling was to cut down the pegs slightly and roughly build the kit so you'd know where it would need work. What type of cuts are we talking, like nick a small slice off the sides of the pegs or chop that bugger down nearly flush? On the painting angle (acrylics), is it Base Coat -> Paint Layer -> Paint Layer -> Futureshine Coat -> Paneling Wash -> Futureshine Coat, or is it done with coatings of future shine between the paint layers to preserve the lower layers in case I screw up and need to remove the color layer with water? Also, since this is a kit with locking joints and no frame, is it safe to put masking tape over top the previous paint layer or will I need to futureshine it first?

And finally, for the guys who use Vallejo's Model Colors in air brushes... is thinning needed for it? I've read everything from it being perfectly fine out of the bottle and into the brush to needing to dilute it down to a skim-milk consistency with distilled water. And lets actually double up on that question if the same applies to their alcohol metallic colors.

Stupid Build Fighters show. So effective at getting me to buy things. :v:

For test building, you can try a few different things, but usually just cutting the pegs at a sharp angle works well. Sometimes just cutting them short works well too. As far as the paint stuff goes, that's pretty much right if you want a gloss top coat.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

I gotta say that I love all the custom builder parts that are now available. I just got a lift platform and little people for scenery. I might get a bunch of weapons and equipment so I can make a locker room layout. He'll, maybe even a shower room. Are there any gundam weapons that could be used for towel snapping purposes?

SpikeMcclane
Sep 11, 2005

You want the story?
Gouf's heatrod or Nobel Gundam's ribbon? But either might end up looking a bit too dirty.
Edit: Master Gundam's cloth.

SpikeMcclane fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Dec 18, 2013

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
Crossbone anti-beam cloak. But I don't want to encourage your ideas.

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you
Master Gundam's beam cloth. The HG comes with one!

If you're worried about panel lining and missing some detail there are two things you can do! One is to do a wash + clean up thing, which is super easy but not super brilliant.

The other option is to just not care! If you do some panel lining but miss some of it then what does it matter? Chances are you'll find the most important bits and you won't see the other bits anyway. I think there is only one kit where panel lining is necessary for the look and that's the Turn A and the detail is all obvious enough that you can't miss it.

Just put some stuff together and have a nice time.

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today

S-Alpha posted:

Since I already put in a preorder for my big shiny turd of a robot MG Unicorn Phoenix, is there a good method/paint selection for making the nubs less glaringly obvious? I know there was some mention of putting a bit of candy coat on the spot, but what about a dab of shiny gold paint beneath it, and is just brushing it on the spot good enough?

Candy colors are designed to be used with a metallic undercoat. They're not of much use as touchup paint by themselves.

For something like the big shiny turd I'd probably touch up the scars with gold paint and call it good, but you could also try silver with a candy yellow-orange on top if you're so inclined; either way, one of those fine-point metallic scrapbook markers ought to do ya. However, the real trick with something like this is to eliminate the need for any physical cleanup by making the cuts as close and clean as possible – time to invest in a GOOD pair of nippers.

(I'm currently awaiting delivery on a specialty detail-removing tool that I intend to put on fulltime stub-cleanup duty, will report on its efficacy or lack thereof when I've had a chance to use it)

EthanSteele posted:

If you're worried about panel lining and missing some detail there are two things you can do! One is to do a wash + clean up thing, which is super easy but not super brilliant.

I've recently switched from panel lining with Gundam Markers to doing a fairly sloppy dark-grey wash, after which I wipe the parts with an eyeglass cleaning cloth wetted with alcohol. This results in nice sharp lines without requiring a steady hand and also preps the parts surface for sticker application.

I prefer to do the wash while everything's still on the runner and clean it up as I assemble, for what it's worth.

Bimmi fucked around with this message at 06:10 on Dec 19, 2013

SpikeMcclane
Sep 11, 2005

You want the story?
To follow up on the gold talk, it's alot easier to make a clear yellow over silver look good than using gold paint directly. Also, the parts in the box themselves are almost certainly silver with a yellow clear over it anyways (I'm assuming it's normal vac-metal coating).

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

S-Alpha posted:

I know there was some mention of putting a bit of candy coat on the spot, but what about a dab of shiny gold paint beneath it, and is just brushing it on the spot good enough?

Unless you have the exact shade of gold used, it's going to clash just as bad as the nubs. With chrome kits it's candy coat or bust.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
why the heck do i have sandpaper grit that skips from 600 to 2000? This is ridiculous. I don't need 320 grit, I need 1000. betrayed by autozone for the last time

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

I use 320 grit sandpaper all the time. Primer covers up any scratches.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

BlitzBlast posted:

Pictures are up.

Mrs. Sazabi

Gundam Exia Dark Matter

And interesting enough, a new Build Booster.

New Booster A

Cool silhouettes, really looking forward to them, partially so I can understand how Nobel and Sazabi are even compatible. Is the Exia Dark Matter also a "kitbash"? Feel I maybe recognise the shoulders and feet.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

BizarroAzrael posted:

Cool silhouettes, really looking forward to them, partially so I can understand how Nobel and Sazabi are even compatible. Is the Exia Dark Matter also a "kitbash"? Feel I maybe recognise the shoulders and feet.

Looks like it has the Sazabi head and possibly the left arm, the Nobel body and legs, and the rest looks to be kitbashed parts attached. That Exia's definitely a kitbash as well, but I can't place the shoulders or feet either. I was going to say Aegis Gundam, but the toespikes aren't long enough. It's not the Kyrios or Aerios legs either. Dammit, this is gonna bug me too :sigh:.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AzMiLion
Dec 29, 2010

Truck you say?

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Looks like it has the Sazabi head and possibly the left arm, the Nobel body and legs, and the rest looks to be kitbashed parts attached. That Exia's definitely a kitbash as well, but I can't place the shoulders or feet either. I was going to say Aegis Gundam, but the toespikes aren't long enough. It's not the Kyrios or Aerios legs either. Dammit, this is gonna bug me too :sigh:.

Maybe some of the Deathscythe bits are on there?

• Locked thread