Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Cloche posted:

I'm surprised that Inuart has so few votes, comparatively. He's, uh... pretty bad. Pretty bad.

:lol:

He's also pretty, and that usually makes up for a lot of faults in the eyes of the kind of people who actually submit votes for those polls.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

dazat posted:

Hey, it's my translation! ...except with Mikhail's lines changed for some reason.
I'll accept potty as an acceptable substitute for pee pee, but my cute little baby dragon Mikhail would never call someone something as mean as idiot! It's dummy gosh darn it! :argh:
/no one cares

To give this post some content, I mentioned in the last thread there was a Favorite Character poll on the Dengeki website a few months ago (Angelus and Caim were the top two, naturally). Well, it turns out there was also a Most Hated Character poll! Can you guess the winner?

That poll is amazing. Nowe, the clichéest and blandest of JRPG protagonists, as third most hated in japan vindicates... something, somehow.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

MonsieurChoc posted:

That poll is amazing. Nowe, the clichéest and blandest of JRPG protagonists, as third most hated in japan vindicates... something, somehow.

Keep in mind that they didn't vote in Leonard, the horrible pedophile monk on there. Japan is still Japan. Yoko Taro being an honorable mention almost makes up for it though.

Nyagato
Apr 6, 2009
If cavia had been voting "children" would be number 1 most hated.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
I'm with the guys who voted archers, because seriously, those guys suck.

dazat
Nov 23, 2007

Manatee Cannon posted:

Keep in mind that they didn't vote in Leonard, the horrible pedophile monk on there. Japan is still Japan. Yoko Taro being an honorable mention almost makes up for it though.

Actually, Leonard was voted third in the Favorite Character vote, right after Angelus and Caim! :D
I rather liked him, too, though, since his writing was a little more subtle than the other characters (compare Arioch's "DID I MENTION I EAT BABIES?!?!"). I'm sure that's only because Square-Enix forced Cavia to tone things down on account of the subject matter, though.

Interesting fact: Leonard, Seere and Arioch's characters and storyline were personally all penned by Yoko Taro! Caim and Angelus' story was written by someone else. In interviews he keeps saying he doesn't understand why they're so popular, why all the fans keep calling Angelus 'the true heroine' instead of Furiae, or why so many people think of them as a couple... including the Drakengard 2 scripwriter, who wrote their death scene inspired by Romeo and Juliet.

I'm getting all this information from the NUMEROUS Dengeki Drakengard interest articles in case anyone is interested in the sources: http://dengekionline.com/sp/dod3/?rside

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Cloche posted:

I'm surprised that Inuart has so few votes, comparatively. He's, uh... pretty bad. Pretty bad.

:lol:

Inuart IS pretty bad but he's kind of ignorably bad. Verdelet, Manah, and Nowe are unignorably bad in a way where they are constantly loving poo poo up and making you go GOD drat IT VERDELET/MANAH/NOWE.

Whereas with Inuart it's just kind of a "Son I am so disappointed in every single one of your life choices" reaction.

dazat posted:

Interesting fact: Leonard, Seere and Arioch's characters and storyline were personally all penned by Yoko Taro! Caim and Angelus' story was written by someone else. In interviews he keeps saying he doesn't understand why they're so popular, why all the fans keep calling Angelus 'the true heroine' instead of Furiae, or why so many people think of them as a couple... including the Drakengard 2 scripwriter, who wrote their death scene inspired by Romeo and Juliet

That...kind of leaves me with less respect for Yoko Taro. As a writer, you have to be pretty clueless to not really understand how that stuff is coming across how it does :psyduck:

Also am I correct in reading from that that he thinks Furiae is a heroine in any capacity? Because I struggle to think of a way to interpret her as such.

Captain Oblivious fucked around with this message at 08:16 on Dec 18, 2013

jonjonaug
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

Captain Oblivious posted:

Inuart IS pretty bad but he's kind of ignorably bad. Verdelet, Manah, and Nowe are unignorably bad in a way where they are constantly loving poo poo up and making you go GOD drat IT VERDELET/MANAH/NOWE.

Whereas with Inuart it's just kind of a "Son I am so disappointed in every single one of your life choices" reaction.

That...kind of leaves me with less respect for Yoko Taro. As a writer, you have to be pretty clueless to not really understand how that stuff is coming across how it does :psyduck:

Also am I correct in reading from that that he thinks Furiae is a heroine in any capacity? Because I struggle to think of a way to interpret her as such.

From what I remember he wrote her to be the "heroine" but also to be unlikable.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

jonjonaug posted:

It's just that I can't think of her actually DOING anything to qualify as a heroine. She gets kidnapped a bunch then she kills herself because she can't jump her brothers bone, thereby causing the end of the world. Heroic!

jonjonaug
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

It's just that I can't think of her actually DOING anything to qualify as a heroine. She gets kidnapped a bunch then she kills herself because she can't jump her brothers bone, thereby causing the end of the world. Heroic!

"Heroine" doesn't always mean "heroic" in anime/manga/video games over in Japan. It can just mean "major female character on the protagonist's side who likes him" with a main male character or "the protagonist" with a main female character. There doesn't even need to be any heroic actions happening in the story at all, it's just a common term for some reason.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

jonjonaug posted:

"Heroine" doesn't always mean "heroic" in anime/manga/video games over in Japan. It can just mean "major female character on the protagonist's side who likes him" with a main male character or "the protagonist" with a main female character. There doesn't even need to be any heroic actions happening in the story at all, it's just a common term for some reason.

Ah. So basically the phrase they're looking for is "female lead".

dazat
Nov 23, 2007

The worst was when he was trying to analyze the reason female fans like Caim x Angelus and came up with the theory that "Oh, they're attracted to the notion that if a monstrous dragon can earn the love of a hot guy, so can they!" :rolleyes: Everyone else in interview was like "Uuuugh no you don't get it".

jonjonaug posted:

Yeah, I think Furiae was supposed to be a commentary on the typical RPG heroine who is mostly very passive and only defined by her feelings for the hero. Which still technically makes her the 'heroine'.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

dazat posted:

Actually, Leonard was voted third in the Favorite Character vote, right after Angelus and Caim! :D
I rather liked him, too, though, since his writing was a little more subtle than the other characters (compare Arioch's "DID I MENTION I EAT BABIES?!?!"). I'm sure that's only because Square-Enix forced Cavia to tone things down on account of the subject matter, though.

Interesting fact: Leonard, Seere and Arioch's characters and storyline were personally all penned by Yoko Taro! Caim and Angelus' story was written by someone else. In interviews he keeps saying he doesn't understand why they're so popular, why all the fans keep calling Angelus 'the true heroine' instead of Furiae, or why so many people think of them as a couple... including the Drakengard 2 scripwriter, who wrote their death scene inspired by Romeo and Juliet.

I'm getting all this information from the NUMEROUS Dengeki Drakengard interest articles in case anyone is interested in the sources: http://dengekionline.com/sp/dod3/?rside

Caim and Angelus are probably the only characters who understand each other by the end (of the canon ending at least). Plus, they're arguably the most 'honest' characters in the first game: everyone else is dealing with PTSD on account of surviving an attack due to buggering small boys, insane and filled with the love of baby-eating, or an abject coward. Caim and Angelus just want to get their
murder on. Considering how every other relationship - platonic or otherwise - goes, I can't say I'm surprised people react the way they did.

Bonus points since Angelus' key moments in the game don't involve her wanting to boink her brother or stabbing herself when everyone finds out about said brother-boinking.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

jonjonaug posted:

The specific term used was "The Heroine who fails at being an Heroine". She was apparently hated by most, if not all, of the Dev team.

Then again I also remember reading somewhere that the relationship between Caim and Angelus was inspired by love between a young man and an older woman, so what does my memory know, really?

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

dazat posted:

The worst was when he was trying to analyze the reason female fans like Caim x Angelus and came up with the theory that "Oh, they're attracted to the notion that if a monstrous dragon can earn the love of a hot guy, so can they!" :rolleyes: Everyone else in interview was like "Uuuugh no you don't get it".

Yeah, I think Furiae was supposed to be a commentary on the typical RPG heroine who is mostly very passive and only defined by her feelings for the hero. Which still technically makes her the 'heroine'.

It sounds like Taro is good at playing with narrative conventions but doesn't really get characters/people on any kind of detail level.

Failed heroine/commentary upon the traditional heroine makes plenty of sense at least, though I'd argue the phrasing it's ultimately semantics.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

I can't possibly imagine Yoko Taro trolling during an interview.

Megalixir
Nov 10, 2007

Vanillaware ltd.
http://www.twitch.tv/hamayama

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Well. That was a thing.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Caim and Angelus are the only characters in the first two games that actually care about each other in an honest and non creepy way while everyone else tends to be selfish and dumb assholes that just make everything worse. The two of them are unrepentant psychopaths but the world and its inhabitants are so utterly broken and beyond hope that they seem more heroic and likable in comparison because of that.

Accordion Man fucked around with this message at 12:19 on Dec 18, 2013

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

holy poo poo

Now I'm even more excited for the game to come out in English.

dazat
Nov 23, 2007

I translated the lyrics of This Silence is Mine: http://kho-dazat.tumblr.com/post/70377814151/this-silence-is-mine-lyrics-translation

I think that'll be my last post for awhile as I'm going into blackout mode until I finish the game (since I'm one of those weak-willed types who can't help clicking on spoilers if I see them). Well, I might come back to share the contents of my Anniversary Box once it arrives... if only to make myself feel less silly for putting down $200+ on it. :sweatdrop:

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

I can't get this to load. What's it show?

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

ultrafilter posted:

I can't get this to load. What's it show?

You are checking the archive, since the stream is over, right? (click on their profile, then past broadcasts, it's the most recent one).

It's ~5 hours of gameplay footage also showing some cutscenes and it's pretty awesome.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Gameplay's basically what we were hoping, in that it looks fluid, nicely chaotic and, more to the point, fun. I don't let myself get excited for games anymore, but if I did, I would be looking forward to this one.

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre
Any word on an NA release?

Veotax
May 16, 2006

LorneReams posted:

Any word on an NA release?

Pretty sure it's been confirmed as some time in 2014.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
Another stream here:
:siren:
VVV
HERE BE SPOILERS!
^^^

The guy is working his way through most of the game.

Not-Europe is back! The soundtrack goes mental when the other Intoners go berserk. :stare:

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Dec 18, 2013

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

dazat posted:

I translated the lyrics of This Silence is Mine: http://kho-dazat.tumblr.com/post/70377814151/this-silence-is-mine-lyrics-translation

I think that'll be my last post for awhile as I'm going into blackout mode until I finish the game (since I'm one of those weak-willed types who can't help clicking on spoilers if I see them). Well, I might come back to share the contents of my Anniversary Box once it arrives... if only to make myself feel less silly for putting down $200+ on it. :sweatdrop:

Your translation mixed with the Engrish refrain makes it sound like it's been written by a deranged lunatic. It's pretty great.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Pesky Splinter posted:

Another stream here:
VVV
HERE BE SPOILERS!
^^^

Just watched the first 20-something minutes. Anyone else getting a 'high-fantasy Kill Bill' vibe from this?

Edit: That English poetry... Huh.

Drakengard 3 posted:

Or will the flower
splay her flaps
Contract and birth
a world defaced?

:gonk:

Dominic White fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Dec 18, 2013

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Dominic White posted:

That English poetry...

More like Engrish poetry

quote:

A fortrace drowing
in the blasm.
Her walls vansieged
by falseful mite

Dragon-friend is pretty cute though :3:

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Pesky Splinter posted:

More like Engrish poetry

Seems closer to medieval, pre-dictonary english than anything. There's an interesting enough mix of contemporary and archaic for it to seem deliberate.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Dominic White posted:

Seems closer to medieval, pre-dictonary english than anything. There's an interesting enough mix of contemporary and archaic for it to seem deliberate.

That's a fair point. Have to wait until the localisation to find out, I guess. :v:

Nyagato
Apr 6, 2009
Anyone know when the Japanese PSN update? Already the 19th there so I want to buy this game right now.

Cloche
Mar 4, 2010

Pesky Splinter posted:

Not-Europe is back! The soundtrack goes mental when the other Intoners go berserk. :stare:

This makes me oddly happy!! The first Drakengard's soundtrack is still one of my favorites for reasons, so if it even vaguely resembles that I'll be content.

This is definitely my most-anticipated game in a long time. I think something might be wrong with me. :holy:

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
:siren:Warning!:siren: Some of the endings have started to appear! :supaburn:

Without spoiling anything, I must say, it's Drakengard alright. :stare:

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Dec 18, 2013

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Pesky Splinter posted:

Warning! Some of the endings have started to appear! :supaburn:

Without spoiling anything, I must say, it's Drakengard alright. :stare:

Aw c'mon dude, don't left me us hanging! What did you see? :suspense:

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

It's hollow and it goes on forever, and... oh My God, it's full of stars.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

I'm hiding it behind the SStest poster so people don't accidently scroll over it.

SPOILERS
VVV
http://lpix.org/sslptest/index.php?id=16803
^^^
SPOILERS

[e]: I couldn't make this poo poo up. :stare:
VVV

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Dec 18, 2013

Ern Malley
Nov 11, 2005

:d: :d: :d:
Are you sure that isn't from Hatoful Boyfriend?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Pesky Splinter posted:

I'm hiding it behind the SStest poster so people don't accidently scroll over it.

SPOILERS
VVV
http://lpix.org/sslptest/index.php?id=16803
^^^
SPOILERS

:stonklol:

What in the actual gently caress? :psyboom:

• Locked thread