Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Friend limit is 100, I think, which is plenty for the purposes of this game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dunban
Jul 4, 2012

OH MY GOD GLOVER

Golden Goat posted:

I feel like i'm building the Village too fast. I've got all the shops up to seven and i'm still at chapter one. It's just so easy to open the 3DS during work and assign peons/villagers to tasks.

You may have access to loads of items but you probably can't afford them in chapter 1.

scissorman
Feb 7, 2011
Ramrod XTreme

Oxygen Deficiency posted:

Oh man, you are all way farther ahead in the game than me. I only downloaded it the Wednesday after it came out and i'm still on Chapter 1. Stupid real life commitments.

Is there a limit to how many friend codes you can have? Like can I still add everyone from this thread if I don't have any other friend codes?
There also seems to be an in-game limit of 20 friends, so only grab the 20 last ones.
Additionally, friend codes only count for sending/receiving attacks and ability linking, they don't give you additional villagers.
For villagers you need to get street passes and you get 3-4 once per day when you update your data.

Also I went into the Specials menu and added some attributes (Fire/Beast slaying/Poison etc.) to random weapons, do these do anything?
These attributes apply to the selected special attacks, so when you execute the attack it is now fire-natured, does extra damage to beast-type enemies and poisons your target.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

NA dudes: Bravely Default demo is hitting the eShop on Jan 2nd

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Dunban posted:

You may have access to loads of items but you probably can't afford them in chapter 1.

True, I have enough money to deck out one character in fancy village gear.

I was wondering something also: Are we killing the Job Asterisk holders? It's kinda funny they get such a build up and no long drawn out death scene.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Golden Goat posted:

True, I have enough money to deck out one character in fancy village gear.

I was wondering something also: Are we killing the Job Asterisk holders? It's kinda funny they get such a build up and no long drawn out death scene.

Yup, they're dead. If you read the Notes section of D's journal, it'll tell you about it there.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Golden Goat posted:

I feel like i'm building the Village too fast. I've got all the shops up to seven and i'm still at chapter one. It's just so easy to open the 3DS during work and assign peons/villagers to tasks.

I only have three shops left at level 10 and they should be done tonight and I've barely started Chapter 2. :v: Just been leaving the cart in and setting them to go while I'm at work or asleep, even though I've not had chance to play the actual game much.

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

That's how you get tinnitus

I'm the same, midway through chapter 2 and I've already completed the reconstruction. I don't have anywhere near enough money to afford some of the shop stuff, but my special attacks are ridiculous. Seriously, my Rejuvenation raises anyone who's dead, heals everyone for twice their max HP, refills around half their MP, and it gives everyone 2 BP. And I can use this after every tenth healing spell. :allears:

Oxygen Deficiency
May 19, 2008

scissorman posted:

There also seems to be an in-game limit of 20 friends, so only grab the 20 last ones.
Additionally, friend codes only count for sending/receiving attacks and ability linking, they don't give you additional villagers.
For villagers you need to get street passes and you get 3-4 once per day when you update your data.

These attributes apply to the selected special attacks, so when you execute the attack it is now fire-natured, does extra damage to beast-type enemies and poisons your target.

I'm not too worried about villagers, I already have plenty. Just sick of updating my data and seeing some mook sending me a Lvl 1 White Mage Agnes with "Attack" command. :what:

I don't know why I assumed that adding Fire would add fire element to the basic attack from the "Specials" menu, but it makes a lot more sense now. Is there no way to activate the Bow special move with a thief then?

Absolutely love the music to this game, I listen to the soundtrack at work. :allears:

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

That's how you get tinnitus

Is there no way to activate the Bow special move with a thief then?

Only attacking flying enemies, which are weak to the bow. You probably won't be getting much use of that special as a thief, unless you have spellfencer as that character's second job.

The bow is the favoured weapon of another job you get later which has targeting weaknesses as one of its main things.

Brumaldo
Jun 29, 2013

Just finished the game.
The ending was great, I just wish it wasn't such a pain in the rear end to get to.
I got a question though: was Tiz dead all along? Was the borrowing thing referring to a celestial soul or something? The gently caress!?

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Brumaldo posted:

Just finished the game.
The ending was great, I just wish it wasn't such a pain in the rear end to get to.
I got a question though: was Tiz dead all along? Was the borrowing thing referring to a celestial soul or something? The gently caress!?

Go back to the main menu, go to AR movie, watch this. Yeah, Tiz died when the Holy Pillar struck Norende. Apperantly it was Airy's sister who was the celestial that lent him life, though it's not confirmed. We'll probably definitely get more answers in Bravely Second.

Brumaldo
Jun 29, 2013

Terper posted:

Go back to the main menu, go to AR movie, watch this. Yeah, Tiz died when the Holy Pillar struck Norende. Apperantly it was Airy's sister who was the celestial that lent him life, though it's not confirmed. We'll probably definitely get more answers in Bravely Second.

Thanks!
Here's hoping this sells well enough to convince Square to release the sequel to the cool territories too.

Dunban
Jul 4, 2012

OH MY GOD GLOVER
Speaking of sales..do we know how well it did so far in Europe?

scissorman
Feb 7, 2011
Ramrod XTreme
:toot: I finally finished as well, clocking in at ~60 hours for the true ending and grinding out all jobs.
Overall I liked the game but having to re-awaken the crystals four times was a huge pain and really dragged the experience down.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

scissorman posted:

:toot: I finally finished as well, clocking in at ~60 hours for the true ending and grinding out all jobs.
Overall I liked the game but having to re-awaken the crystals four times was a huge pain and really dragged the experience down.

I think the game would have been fantastic if they had combined Chapters 5 and 6. There's enough plot elements to be important, but not enough to fill out two chapters. The pacing would have been way tighter, plus the refights are mostly the same in 5 and 6. Also to mix up the crystal bosses more, geez, they got really creative with the antagonists and their refights, but not the crystal dudes?

As it stands though it's an 8/10 game, really.

fezball
Nov 8, 2009

Terper posted:

I think the game would have been fantastic if they had combined Chapters 5 and 6. There's enough plot elements to be important, but not enough to fill out two chapters. The pacing would have been way tighter, plus the refights are mostly the same in 5 and 6. Also to mix up the crystal bosses more, geez, they got really creative with the antagonists and their refights, but not the crystal dudes?

Hell, even the refights got pretty old after a while as it was always the same guys just in different combinations. Especially since none of them had the HP to really keep you from blowing the whole group up before they ever got to actually do anything (although switching my whole team to naked monk/vampires spamming deep freeze may not have been entirely fair either, but at that point I didn't really care anymore).

I still liked the game if only for good old-fashioned job-combination shenanigans, but the second half really dragged things out way too much. I certainly never would have finished this without being able to turn encounters off. And unlocking New Game+ after all that repetition really felt like a bad joke.

Samael
Oct 16, 2012

Anyone fought Belphegor from the town yet? He looks like an upgrade of Asmodeus, anyone know what he drops?

fezball
Nov 8, 2009

Samael posted:

Anyone fought Belphegor from the town yet? He looks like an upgrade of Asmodeus, anyone know what he drops?

Fought him down to 30k HP, then my DS froze as it tends to do after a while when fighting nemeses (anyone else have that problem?). It's probably another stat boost item like the others.

He does spawns adds that cast Firaja/Blizzaja/Thundaja though, so you'll want to have genome drain on one of your guys if you're missing any of those.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
I just got the game a few days ago, started playing today. Is the friend system easy to use over the internet or is it useless?

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Easy to use for sure, probably too useful early on as it trivialises almost everything before things have more than the damage cap for HP.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Dunban posted:

Speaking of sales..do we know how well it did so far in Europe?

Here's the current results from vgcharts. Not too sure if it's to be trusted.

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013
Chapter 3 job spoilers/questions:

Is the Dancer+Swordmaster 'Catch Me'+Counter Skill combo as ridiculously broken as I assume it's going to be? Also I notice a lot of people talking about the healing combos for the Salve-maker but to me the main use seems to be giving bosses without elemental weaknesses an elemental weakness. I freaking love that.

Dunban
Jul 4, 2012

OH MY GOD GLOVER

Golden Goat posted:

Here's the current results from vgcharts. Not too sure if it's to be trusted.

It's vgchartz, so..no.

Anyway, chapter 6: the subtitle changed! loving genius.

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011
(spoilers for the very ending of the game)

Terper posted:

Yeah, Tiz died when the Holy Pillar struck Norende.

didn't watch the AR movie, but given an offhand comment from Ringabel when he first joins the party, I was under the impression that Tiz lived through that and was killed by monsters in the spot he was found by the townspeople and rescued

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013
First 'boss' of Chapter 4:

Maybe I'm just over-leveled but that was super pathetic. Tiz is damage-capping constantly with his specials that come up every few turns since he's a Ranger/Spell Fencer that is constantly hitting weakpoints. Agnes can easily keep up with any amount of healing. Ring is a Ninja/Salve-Maker so when he's not dealing nearly 4000 damage with his elemental bombs he's dodging with Utsumemi and countering for nearly 5000. I pretty much just took the poor golem thing apart.

Samael
Oct 16, 2012

Getsuya posted:

First 'boss' of Chapter 4:

Maybe I'm just over-leveled but that was super pathetic. Tiz is damage-capping constantly with his specials that come up every few turns since he's a Ranger/Spell Fencer that is constantly hitting weakpoints. Agnes can easily keep up with any amount of healing. Ring is a Ninja/Salve-Maker so when he's not dealing nearly 4000 damage with his elemental bombs he's dodging with Utsumemi and countering for nearly 5000. I pretty much just took the poor golem thing apart.

Yeah, the main bosses that are not asterisk givers/crystal protectors are quite easy until later on. Automaton, the tortoise etc are really simple to figure out.

Dunban
Jul 4, 2012

OH MY GOD GLOVER
Yeah, they're not even listed in the "boss" section of D's journal.

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

So, I'm in chapter 7 now and got the normal ending. How often do I need to go through the motions to get the true ending? And is there an optional bonus dungeon and how can I access it?

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011
Chapter 7 question:

Hymirvetr posted:

So, I'm in chapter 7 now and got the normal ending. How often do I need to go through the motions to get the true ending? And is there an optional bonus dungeon and how can I access it?

the normal ending SHOULD have a bonus dungeon near the vampire's castle. Chapter 8 is the true ending chapter so you only need to go through the cycle one more time

Dunban
Jul 4, 2012

OH MY GOD GLOVER
So..anyone got some tips for the final boss?

I got to the part where he repeatedly uses Armageddon (?), which completely heals him and does a ridiculous amount of damage. I was able to survive it twice, but got killed the third time he used it when his Magic Attack was still buffed.
My characters are level 93 and I've got pretty much the best equipment in the game so I don't think I can get much stronger.

literally real IRL
Apr 28, 2008
How difficult and mature is Bravely Default? Could a 10 year old play this?

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

^
I think it's probably a bit too intricate for a ten year old. None of the dialogue is explicit, but some of it is innuendo. Easy might be a push over though, I don't know.

Chaugmar on Hard was a bad-rear end. Great fight.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

I'd be more concerned by the amount of violence and death in the game to be honest. By chapter three there's two kids beating each other to death, repeated references to an entire city being exterminated with fantasy mustard gas and a PUA villain who date rapes women with mind-altering cologne and the tone of the game looks like there's going to be plenty more unpleasantness before its done. I guess it depends on the kid in question but I'd err on the side of it being a bit much for a pre-teen.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Nothing exciting to see here. Move along.
Doing the Chapter 5 Sidequests now. Holy moly, some of them get rather humourous. Like the party just cutting the middleman and two deaths, and going straight for Konoe the Ninja in the assassination plot. :allears:

EDIT: Just got to Chapter 6. Holy moly, the sidequests are getting better. :allears: So the whole thing regarding the capture of the Wind Vestal was so that they could keep her safe from the corruption of the Crystal Orthodoxy. Talk about misunderstandings ahoy. And the whole thing with Barras and Holly was rather funny.

Folt The Bolt fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Dec 23, 2013

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

So, uh. The latest nemesis.

I guess this is something that will come up in Bravely Second?

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Folt The Bolt posted:

Doing the Chapter 5 Sidequests now. Holy moly, some of them get rather humourous. Like the party just cutting the middleman and two deaths, and going straight for Konoe the Ninja in the assassination plot. :allears:

EDIT: Just got to Chapter 6. Holy moly, the sidequests are getting better. :allears: So the whole thing regarding the capture of the Wind Vestal was so that they could keep her safe from the corruption of the Crystal Orthodoxy. Talk about misunderstandings ahoy. And the whole thing with Barras and Holly was rather funny.

Shame there's no Negotiator Asterisk, I just beat Kamiizumi this whole thing stinks of 'if only the antagonists had bothered to explain themselves for two seconds' syndrome, so much pointless death!

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Nothing exciting to see here. Move along.

A Steampunk Gent posted:

Shame there's no Negotiator Asterisk, I just beat Kamiizumi this whole thing stinks of 'if only the antagonists had bothered to explain themselves for two seconds' syndrome, so much pointless death!

Hahah, yeah.

I am currently grinding so that I'm able to face the challenges in front of me. And I have to say, when I got this game, I was not expecting the level curve of this. I was expecting levels in the 50s to hold for most things, like how it is in most modern JRPGs, but this game apparently thinks that's what's going to hold for the halfway, and not even the 60s or 70s seem good enough for this when I got to Chapter 6. It seems to want me to get all the way up to the 90s if I'm ever going to get to the end of it, which is higher than just about any RPG ever made. On the plus side, I'll likely make this one of the JRPG games where I get everyone to the max level set by the game, and I find it rather fresh, since most old JRPGs only want you to get to the 60s at most, while most new JRPGs are apparently alright with something in the 40s or 50s.

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013
I read a few of the chap 5 and 6 spoilers that people have been posting and they actually got me to pick up the game again. I was just about done with chap 4 and the game was kind of starting to grind on me, but after seeing that that is the direction the plot takes it motivated me to get back into it.

Also there was a news article that the Bravely guys intend to try to put out one title per year.

I hope Bravely Default 6 is as much better from Bravely Default 1 as FF6 was from FF1. That would be amazing. I look forward to 2018.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IntelligibleChoir
Mar 3, 2009
Guess what santa brought me?

Could use some friends!
5386-7996-9402

Edit: added everyone from the last page.

Questions: is it possible to cock up your characters by switching jobs at the "wrong" time? Like is there an optomal time for stat growth or something?

IntelligibleChoir fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Dec 26, 2013

• Locked thread