Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

The Kins posted:

Pretty sure Lost Souls can infight if one kamikazes into another.

Yes, this definitely happens.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Why did Brutal Doom change the design of Lost Souls anyway? They look so silly. :saddowns:

Vaos
Dec 30, 2008

Unleash the fiery Armageddon.

toasterwarrior posted:

- All bullet weapons will cause in-fighting, so zombies of all kinds will provoke each other and other monsters.

- Projectiles will not harm monsters of the same type, so Imp-on-Imp violence won't work.

- Special exception for above rule: Barons and Knights of Hell count as the same type, so they won't in-fight.

These are pretty much all I know, though I'm sure there's nothing else to consider.

Also,

- No monster can ever target an Archvile, even if the Archvile is attacking the monster. This means you can have an Archvile solo a cyberdemon for you (if you're not in a hurry.)

- Monsters can switch back from infighting to you when their target die (you usually hear again their waking sound) or if you shoot them again/lose sight of their target for too long?

- Archviles switch targets instantly when attacked, so if you fire at them mid-attack on another monster, they'll turn to you, and then you will explode. Good job. This doesn't happen with any other monsters, like Cyberdemons, so feel free to BFG them in the back while they are busy.

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

better waste some time with you

toasterwarrior posted:

- All bullet weapons will cause in-fighting, so zombies of all kinds will provoke each other and other monsters.

- Projectiles will not harm monsters of the same type, so Imp-on-Imp violence won't work.

- Special exception for above rule: Barons and Knights of Hell count as the same type, so they won't in-fight.

These are pretty much all I know, though I'm sure there's nothing else to consider.

I'm sure this is, since I've seen Mancubi ignore a hit from a Hell Knight in some cases, and in some cases retaliate. So there must be some probabilistic aspect to it.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
Also I believe that melee attacks (pinkies, imps, cacodemons, etc) act like bullets, though unless you have Partial Invisibility it's very rare to see a misdirected melee attack.

glam bam rock
Jun 2, 2009

aaaaaaaaawwwwwwwww
WHAM BAM THANK YA GLAM

There is a very limited concept of "aggro" going on. When a monster takes initial damage, they leash to the cause and if I'm not mistaken a timer starts. More damage from the cause refreshes the timer. If the timer expires AND the monster gets hit from a new source, it leashes to the new target and the cycle rolls on.

If the monster's target dies, it goes after the player. If it's attacking - most noticeable with the Cyberdemon's three rocket volley - it won't switch mid-attack, even if the player hits it, unless it's the arch-vile. AVs leash but have no timer; the last thing to hit them will always be the target, even if they are in the middle of cooking.

Lost souls are supposed to do one charge at their target and then return to the player if not attacked. In ZDoom, at least, they maintain their hate, and you see stuff like lost souls fighting forever in pain elemental clouds. I'm not sure what I like more.

Monsters that wake up on seeing the player leash to him but won't aggro if the player doesn't shoot them. Infighting is easy to instigate if you don't shoot monsters. If you tag them, you own them until their timer is up.

E:f,b

Vaos
Dec 30, 2008

Unleash the fiery Armageddon.

horse mans posted:

I'm sure this is, since I've seen Mancubi ignore a hit from a Hell Knight in some cases, and in some cases retaliate. So there must be some probabilistic aspect to it.

The hits have to trigger pain state for the monster to start infighting, if I remember right.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
I somehow hadn't seen Doom The Way id Did before and I've been plowing through that- I really, really like how classic Doom the levels feel, except they're all fairly huge in a way that classic Doom levels weren't always. They're all really good levels, though, so it's hard to mind.

glam bam rock
Jun 2, 2009

aaaaaaaaawwwwwwwww
WHAM BAM THANK YA GLAM

Vaos posted:

The hits have to trigger pain state for the monster to start infighting, if I remember right.

Actually, it's pretty simple, check out the bit on "Targeting threshold", the timer I couldn't quite remember

thedangergroove
Nov 14, 2004
Long for karate day.
Don't know if these have been posted, but a nice present for the Doomer or Doomette in your life

http://www.galerief.com/portfolio/former-humans/

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

horse mans posted:

Hm, the way I thought it worked was that there were monster "ranks", and only higher rank monsters would attack lower rank monsters. I guess I need to experiment with it more...

Edit: Oh I guess that was just Doom 3 and I mixed them up in my head? Hah.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Dec 18, 2013

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Devolver Digital's lust for blood and indie game cross-promotion can not be sated. (Or alternatively: Mom and Dad got back together!)

(In addition, the Excalibat is now a Katana skin in the new Shadow Warrior!)

The Kins fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Dec 18, 2013

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Pope Guilty posted:

Also I believe that melee attacks (pinkies, imps, cacodemons, etc) act like bullets, though unless you have Partial Invisibility it's very rare to see a misdirected melee attack.

Yeah, this is why Demons can infight. Unfortunately, they are really, really bad at it.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Demons are really bad at everything. They are the most :downs: of all hellspawn :v:

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Stupid Doom question. If you pick up the Blue Armor, that gives you 50% damage reduction. Does your damage reduction revert to the Green Armor value (33%) if your armor drops below 101%? If not, that means as long as your armor doesn't drop to 0%, you'll always have 50% reduction, even if you pick up more green armors or armor bonuses?

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass

victrix posted:

Demons are really bad at everything. They are the most :downs: of all hellspawn :v:

I always feel kind of bad killing them, it's like killing a big dumb dog.

SavageMessiah
Jan 28, 2009

Emotionally drained and spookified

Toilet Rascal

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

Stupid Doom question. If you pick up the Blue Armor, that gives you 50% damage reduction. Does your damage reduction revert to the Green Armor value (33%) if your armor drops below 101%? If not, that means as long as your armor doesn't drop to 0%, you'll always have 50% reduction, even if you pick up more green armors or armor bonuses?

I don't think it will revert when it drops below 100%, but if you pick up a green armor at that point it will reduce the reduction. I think this is why cosmetic doom won't let you pick up a green armor when you have a blue until the armor value drops below some threshold.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

I think if your blue armor goes below 100 points, when you pick up a set of green armor, it will put you back up to 100 points and replace the blue armor.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

That's what I would think, but I noticed this line in the wiki for Armor Bonuses:

quote:

Armor bonuses add 1% of additional armor to the player, up to 200%. If the player already had armor left, the protection percent is unchanged. Otherwise, the player is granted 33% protection (same as the Green Armor).

But I don't see any difference in the class definition that would make that distinction between the Armor Bonus and the Green Armor there. So that made me wonder if the Green Armor pickup maybe just leaves your protection at 50% as long as you haven't lost your blue armor entirely.

Edit: Ah I'm dumb, ArmorBonus is a separate class from BasicArmorPickup so obviously it just makes the distinction between those two things.

Gwyrgyn Blood fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Dec 18, 2013

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

I recall reading somewhere that Megasphere armor is 75% reduction?

I wonder if that's true, I seem to remember losing armor really fast after picking one up

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Megasphere armor is identical to blue armor.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
If you guys haven't seen it before, you'll probably get a kick out of this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wcHQMufUVWo E1M1

Doom engine, rendering a single frame in ultra slow motion, so you can see how each of the draws is performed in order. It goes through the sectors drawing walls, then ceilings, then things, then finally the first person gun and HUD. Pretty cool to watch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8VqLqbwjn8M

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VzCHC1V5nWU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8G4wOGf7_dU

They come from this excellent code review of the Doom engine:

http://fabiensanglard.net/doomIphone/doomClassicRenderer.php

The code won't make sense to you if you aren't a programmer, but its still a great description of the BSP algorithm, etc in simple English.

apophenium
Apr 14, 2009

Cry 'Mayhem!' and let slip the dogs of Wardlow.
I'm playing through Ultimate Doom after only ever playing the shareware version way back in the day as a kid. It's pretty fun to see how influential the level design is. I just finished episode 2, and E2M7 really blew me away. Every time I picked up a key card I'd think "Man I have no idea where the door for this is." and it was always right there. Really solid stuff.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

apophenium posted:

I'm playing through Ultimate Doom after only ever playing the shareware version way back in the day as a kid. It's pretty fun to see how influential the level design is. I just finished episode 2, and E2M7 really blew me away. Every time I picked up a key card I'd think "Man I have no idea where the door for this is." and it was always right there. Really solid stuff.

Fun Trivial, E2M7 Spawning Vats is the first level of Doom they ever made. (E1m1 is one of the last, barring all of E4)

Yeah that one always stuck out to me as really great level design. Its so huge and sprawling, yet it feels coherent.

I think E2M4 through E2M7 are my favorite maps. And E3M2 is my least favorite, yuck.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Dec 18, 2013

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
Haha, I just played some Reelism and got my first jackpot. Mowing down hordes of Sonic recolours while trying to take down El Cyberdemon was fantastic.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

The Kins posted:

(In addition, the Excalibat is now a Katana skin in the new Shadow Warrior!)

Do you have to own ROTT 2013 on Steam or GOG to get the Excalibat skin?

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Max Wilco posted:

Do you have to own ROTT 2013 on Steam or GOG to get the Excalibat skin?
They didn't give any unlock requirements, so I'm pretty sure it's just there in the latest patch.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Are there any settings I can tweak to improve performance in Winter's Fury? The computer I'm using can play most anything, but this WAD completely chokes it at times :psyduck:

TheDarkArchon
Jul 23, 2013
Options > Display Options > OpenGL Options > Dynamic Light Options and turn down the size of the lights; The dynamic lights were responsible for most of the frame rate drops I was having.

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!
I'm getting to the end of Scythe, and I've hit the Run For It map. Are there any tricks I can use to survive this, or is it just strafe-run everywhere and hope a bunch of monsters don't park their asses in my path?

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Geight posted:

I'm getting to the end of Scythe, and I've hit the Run For It map. Are there any tricks I can use to survive this, or is it just strafe-run everywhere and hope a bunch of monsters don't park their asses in my path?

That map is universally despised, and you won't lose out if you just skip it.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Dominic White posted:

No. The hint is in the title.

(It needs GZDoom)
It only needs ZDoom actually. Sure, there there's some visual glitches around 3D floors in Hell, like some sprites from a different room seen through the ceiling -- probably because sprites are drawn last (as shown in these code review videos Zaphod posted and ZDoom's rendering of 3D floors is based on a hack of the portal system) and the mod features GLDEFS to bring additional eye candy when using GZDoom, but plain old software-rendered ZDoom was the primary target.

Superschaf posted:

"Doom" is the one that's closest to the original lighting. That means it's pretty dark, but things close to you are lighter. "Dark" is a fallback that is as dark as "Doom", but doesn't have the areas getting lighter close to you.

"Doom" should be the default if your GPU can handle, sadly this seems to be kinda hosed. It's always defaulted to "Dark" for me. So yeah, change that around if you have trouble seeing.

If your card has the shader support for it, "Software" lighting mode is the one that truly is the closest to original lighting; but it uses shader code to emulate the light diminishing "backed" in the original COLORMAP lump. (If you know GLSL, you can even edit them to replace floats by ints and then you get the same color banding effect Doom had, instead of a smooth diminishing; but still in truecolor.) The "Doom" and "Dark" lighting mode are eyeballed approximations, while "software" is algorithmically exact.

Superschaf
May 20, 2010

Cat Mattress posted:

If your card has the shader support for it, "Software" lighting mode is the one that truly is the closest to original lighting; but it uses shader code to emulate the light diminishing "backed" in the original COLORMAP lump. (If you know GLSL, you can even edit them to replace floats by ints and then you get the same color banding effect Doom had, instead of a smooth diminishing; but still in truecolor.) The "Doom" and "Dark" lighting mode are eyeballed approximations, while "software" is algorithmically exact.

You are right. In either case though, GZDoom is messing up in the detection.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Cat Mattress posted:

It only needs ZDoom actually. Sure, there there's some visual glitches around 3D floors in Hell, like some sprites from a different room seen through the ceiling -- probably because sprites are drawn last (as shown in these code review videos Zaphod posted and ZDoom's rendering of 3D floors is based on a hack of the portal system) and the mod features GLDEFS to bring additional eye candy when using GZDoom, but plain old software-rendered ZDoom was the primary target.

I kind of wish there'd be some sort of color degradation, like software's COLORMAP but in truecolor. I always liked how Doom kind of sort of by accident simulated how human color vision degrades as the light level decreases.

Sir AIDS posted:

Can't wait for the update that adds gore sprites from REAL dead people pictures

That was done about two years ago. It sucked, it was disturbing and gross, and everybody hated it. Part of the charm of Doom's violence is how cartoonish and unreal it is. You start adding photographic gibs to it and it just becomes creepy and distasteful.

Woolie Wool fucked around with this message at 05:37 on Dec 20, 2013

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
The guy behind Brutal Doom is incredibly unhinged and nuts. I'm not surprised, you'd have to be a little... off to create a mod like that. An ordinary person wouldn't be able to produce something so amazing. It's surprisingly polished too. Guy must be a good programmer.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

The only thing I like about BD is the gameplay (and not always, vanilla is still great), the gore stuff is stupid

Reive
May 21, 2009

victrix posted:

The only thing I like about BD is the gameplay (and not always, vanilla is still great), the gore stuff is stupid

Quite the opposite for me, the only reason I came to it was for the brilliant sprite work, the gameplay was just icing.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Brutal Doom is fun. It got me to play Doom again last year, and actually go through the entire game (and 2). I didn't use BD for my playthrough though. It's too much in anything but short bursts.

I'm playing through BtSX and holy crap I am not good. I had to turn down the difficulty to HMP and save mid level just to get through one of the early maps in a reasonable time frame. I'm also playing through D2TWID at the same time, and having a much easier time there, even on UV.

E: its not old, but I figure this thread is still appropriate. How is Wrack?

SPACE HOMOS
Jan 12, 2005

Jordan7hm posted:

E: its not old, but I figure this thread is still appropriate. How is Wrack?

Its not released, so maybe it will get better. Its boring and bobby prince sucks at writing music that isn't copying famous songs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SPACE HOMOS
Jan 12, 2005

I am currently running mulitple deathmatch servers,
Quake 1: 192.227.138.100:26000 Deathmatch on custom maps
Quake 2: 192.227.138.100:27910 Deathmatch on default maps
UT99: 192.227.138.100:7777 Deathmatch on default maps, running community patch 451b

I have links for the custom maps in the PGS thread.