Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
It also doesn't help that Mario, Link, and Mega Man don't have much personality to work with compared to Wily, Bowser, The Wario Brothers, or Ganon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThePhenomenalBaby
May 3, 2011

Accordion Man posted:

It also doesn't help that Mario, Link, and Mega Man don't have much personality to work with compared to Wily, Bowser, The Wario Brothers, or Ganon.

Even in Paper Mario game and the M&L rpg series were Mario gets the most personality he has far less than Bowser, Peach, and Luigi. It just makes him harder to write for if you have nothing to base off of. Same goes for all versions of Link except maybe WW Link, who is at the very least very expressive.

Cape Cod Crab Chip
Feb 20, 2011

Now you don't have to suck meat from an exoskeleton!

nerdbot posted:

It's not for disliking the current rotation, but it's starting to seem a little...small. It's not as if it's a plot concern since a lot of characters don't really factor into any plot stuff and just show up for fights (which is fine). This is really silly, but it always seemed weird to me that we have Luigi, Wario, Waluigi but no Mario, and Groose and Ganondorf but no Link, and Proto Man and Air Man but no Mega Man. Were they around in earlier seasons and just got cycled out due to low interest?

More or less, yeah. Ganon is one of the OGs and was the league's first Real Champion (and still, in my opinion, the greatest champion of all time) and there was a ton of hype at the time for Link to join the league and recreate the classic rivalry in VGCW. Then he jobbed to Waluigi in his debut and Ganon dropped the title to Bowser before their three-way match with Jensen, then he failed to win that championship match. From there he became viewed as a huge joke and was dropped after winning his final match with Vegeta. Mario was the odd plumber out; Waluigi is basically VGCW's mascot, Wario had the Mr. Money and the bow and Luigi had his run as Mr. L. It's not like Mario was exactly an oppressive presence on the roster, but there wasn't anywhere obvious for his character to go and there was a bit of a glut of characters in caps and suspenders. I'm not entirely sure why Mega Man got cut in favor of Proto Man, to be honest, they were both rear end-ugly CAWs. I guess the Glitch Man thing was more than Mega Man had going on for him.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Wario had less of the classy and mister money thing to begin with and more of the JEW JEW JEWS JEWARIO JEWS!!!! stupidity. Glad that that has almost entirely died out, I saw a single guy say "JEW" amidst a sea of more appropriate titles in chat.

RIP Sabin, your gimmick and flair was top notch, but Bazza's irrational anger at the chat was not.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

I can't remember if Bazza was pissed at the chat not accurately counting suplexes or just at the chat having too much fun, but either way it didn't make much sense.

Anyway, Simon Belmont got a raw deal. He lost that one match to Dracula due to 5 custom finishers not equaling one standard finisher, then I think he may have had one more match and was gone.

TheEggsBenedict
Jan 4, 2013

if i go crazy then
will you still
call me superman
I do kind of wish Mario comes back, because Luigi is really boring on his own.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

I believe the guy who reviewed every VGCW character put it best when he said that the problem with Sabin's gimmick is that it's a gimmick which lasts the entire match. It's a whole match of counting suplexes, arguing about suplexes, what is and is not a suplex, to stop counting suplexes, to start counting suplexes. Suplexes. I'm actually kind of curious how Wii Fit Trainer will work out on WVGCW because I imagine it'll be annoying (if not fun) to sing the lyrics to SPORTS every time she wrestles.

STEEEEEEEERIKE!

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Policenaut posted:

I'm actually kind of curious how Wii Fit Trainer will work out on WVGCW because I imagine it'll be annoying (if not fun) to sing the lyrics to SPORTS every time she wrestles.

Why IS that her entrance music anyway? Wasn't there some WiiFit remix or something on Youtube that would be more appropriate?

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
Bazza only got really annoyed at Sabin after the chat started screaming at eachother on how to count suplexes. It got really nasty. Same way he only got really pissed at long shows after the DK vs Barkley match turned into a cavalcade of racism.

I don't blame him for moving the show in a way that's constructive, but I still think it was the wrong idea to fire such a well-developed wrestler so quickly.

The Monkey Man
Jun 10, 2012

HERD U WERE TALKIN SHIT
Bazza should bring Sabin back with a suplex-free moveset (if that's even possible)

TheEggsBenedict
Jan 4, 2013

if i go crazy then
will you still
call me superman

The Monkey Man posted:

Bazza should bring Sabin back with a suplex-free moveset (if that's even possible)
Or Sabin can stay fired since we already have a poo poo ton of FF characters.

Edit: vvv Son of a submariner!

TheEggsBenedict fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Dec 18, 2013

Gimnbo
Feb 13, 2012

e m b r a c e
t r a n q u i l i t y

TheEggsBenedict posted:

Or Sabin can stay fired since we already have a poo poo ton of FF characters.

I know Bazza brought in 3 at once, but beyond them do we really? We have HEY and... no one else I can remember.

EDIT: Haha poo poo how did I forget Kefka.

The Monkey Man
Jun 10, 2012

HERD U WERE TALKIN SHIT
It's just Kefka, Barrett and the Disciplinary committee right now.

EDIT: WVGCW has enough- Terra, Lightning, Tifa, Rydia and Rinoa.

The Monkey Man fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Dec 18, 2013

MisterZimbu
Mar 13, 2006
I want Steiner in.

Only so we can have VGCW vs. WWE - Barrett & Steiner vs. Wade Barrett and Scott Steiner

TheEggsBenedict
Jan 4, 2013

if i go crazy then
will you still
call me superman
Even if we do get more FF characters, I would still prefer new talent over Sabin. FF4 Cid or the FF7 Cid someone made a while back would be great.

Cape Cod Crab Chip
Feb 20, 2011

Now you don't have to suck meat from an exoskeleton!

TaurusOxford posted:

Why IS that her entrance music anyway?

This is a dumb question.

nerdbot
Mar 16, 2012

ThePhenomenalBaby posted:

Even in Paper Mario game and the M&L rpg series were Mario gets the most personality he has far less than Bowser, Peach, and Luigi. It just makes him harder to write for if you have nothing to base off of. Same goes for all versions of Link except maybe WW Link, who is at the very least very expressive.

The Paper Mario games always made Mario seem like kind of a smug jerk with some of the dialogue options you get. I could see Mario making an amusing heel, honestly.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

If there were more animation options, I would like to see him as SMRPG Mario.

Jensen: What happened?

Mario: *Punch punch shake head jump jump punch*

Jensen: I see, Bowser attacked Protoman in the hallway.

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe
Missed the stream last night but I'm glad to see Geese get the guaranteed spot. I see some GM potential in him.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

nerdbot posted:

The Paper Mario games always made Mario seem like kind of a smug jerk with some of the dialogue options you get. I could see Mario making an amusing heel, honestly.
Mario's kind of a jerk.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0jfU7pw76ZE&hd=1

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008

Kuvo posted:

Missed the stream last night but I'm glad to see Geese get the guaranteed spot. I see some GM potential in him.

He's only got guaranteed spot in the Star Road Tournament, he can still get eliminated in the main thing.

Tonfa
Apr 8, 2008

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

KungFu Grip posted:

He's only got guaranteed spot in the Star Road Tournament, he can still get eliminated in the main thing.

I do find it pretty humorous though that these on the bubble guys already have more of a VGCW presence than over half of the star road contestants will. :v: Gabe!!

Authorman
Mar 5, 2007

slamcat

Coolguye posted:

but I still think it was the wrong idea to fire such a well-developed wrestler so quickly.

Dude in a blue shirt walking slowly out to bad entrance music who never spoke in any plot and was only differentiated from his equally boring partner by having an obnoxious chat meme.

"Well developed."

Gimnbo
Feb 13, 2012

e m b r a c e
t r a n q u i l i t y

Sabin seems to be one of those guys who brought most of his hype in from his source material rather than developing it in the show. This is problematic if you don't actually know the source material (and leads to :goonsay:"Maybe you should be a real gamer then").

Sabin never really did anything for me. Then again, Sagat doesn't do anything for me and I actually like him outside of VGCW.

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe

KungFu Grip posted:

What, you think he's going to lose?

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

nerdbot posted:

Mario is the Hulk Hogan of Video Games. Bring him back to form the NWO(Nintendo World Order).

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?

Rhonne posted:

Mario is the Hulk Hogan of Video Games. Bring him back to form the NWO(Nintendo World Order).

Make him and Link come back as The Outsiders. DK is the Third Man.

nftyw
Dec 27, 2006

It is a game... where you will put your life on the line.
Lipstick Apathy
I like that there are characters who are different from the average grr grumble let's wrestle I'll take you out etc. kind of deal. Little Mac and Haggar were all in each other's faces (well, sorta) prior to their match and it the usual kind of pre battle taunting but aside from scenes like that you don't really see much stuff from those two. Contrast characters like Gabe who's all smiles and butterflies (Oopsie!) and the exasperated Adam who has to clean up after him, the Kacho who is very polite and :japan: alongside the Nerd who is mad at everything, good natured Barrett who seems to hate the hall monitors, Kefka being a literal clown (STUPID!!) and Bowser not giving a gently caress about anything (until his Legends contract got revoked). And watching Eggman and Wily bounce insults at each other was great to see.

Jubs
Jul 11, 2006

Boy, I think it's about time I tell you the difference between a man and a woman. A woman isn't a woman unless she's pretty. And a man isn't a man unless he's ugly.

Authorman posted:

Dude in a blue shirt walking slowly out to bad entrance music who never spoke in any plot and was only differentiated from his equally boring partner by having an obnoxious chat meme.

"Well developed."

A lot like Chris Benoit. He does his talking in the ring. And there's no wife and son to worry about.

And it makes sense for him to be in VGCW because he has a connection with real wrestling. Chris Sabin legit chose his name because of the FF character.

Authorman
Mar 5, 2007

slamcat

Jubs posted:

And it makes sense for him to be in VGCW because he has a connection with real wrestling.

It made sense at one point, but much better final fantasy characters have come on the scene since. And there are still more interesting ones than a retread of Sabin that could potentially be brought in.

poo poo evolves.

(also Final Fantasy 8 is way better than 6, so clearly bazza knows what is right)

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Authorman posted:

(also Final Fantasy 8 is way better than 6, so clearly bazza knows what is right)
Check out how wrong this is.

Sabin was great but yeah I guess I've accepted that he'll never come back, he will always a spot on my '14 roster at least.

The Monkey Man
Jun 10, 2012

HERD U WERE TALKIN SHIT
I just don't understand why Baz decided that Locke should be Sabin's partner instead of Edgar. Maybe he was just easier to make?

E-Tap
Jan 4, 2004
It pretty much boiled down to someone had a Locke character ready to go, no one at the time tried to make one for Edgar.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
Locke predated Sabin, so it wasn't so much less effort as no effort.

Anyway, the idea that someone needs to be in a lot of plot or whatever to be developed is silly. Scorpion earned his title without ever being in a single plot line, and Sabin's fighting style is more distinctive and entertaining than Eggman's has ever been. Don't get me wrong, I loving love #masterplan and I love how dickish The Practice are to eachother. But I'd rather watch Sabin in the ring any day of the week.

Also, FF6 gave us an insane clown literally tearing the world apart while FF8's most iconic moment is still '..........whatever.' Seifer and crew are cool, but FF8 is one of the weaker games in the series from a creative standpoint, and I don't think that's really that up for debate.

nftyw
Dec 27, 2006

It is a game... where you will put your life on the line.
Lipstick Apathy
It's not so much a development thing, so much as their ability to do anything in the plot sections. You won't really see Red, Octodad, or Pyro being used much for amusing PLOT scenes because the most they can do is stand there as someone else bounces words off of them. I do miss Sabin's suplex gimmick too though.

That said I think chat would get a kick out of Red, Octodad, Pyro and Luigi all bumping into each other and having a grand old time of saying "....." while the camera pans around until Pyro breaks the silence by mumbling "hudda hudda". Suddenly angry "...!!"s all around and Gaben has to step in to tell everyone to chill out and settle it in the ring, Fatal Four Way style.

nftyw fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Dec 18, 2013

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

Rhonne posted:

Man, this just tells me my next project was the right choice.

Based him on the proportions for Super Mario Galaxy, so he's actually a small guy this time around. The extra speed should give him an advantage. No moveset yet, but he's an aerialist. I'm going to give him as many spins and goomba stomps as I can manage.

Edit: I wish I could make his legs a little shorter, but -100 is as short as they get.

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 06:29 on Dec 19, 2013

TheEggsBenedict
Jan 4, 2013

if i go crazy then
will you still
call me superman
SNS just announced that another episode of SNST is coming this Friday at the usual time. You might also want to check this doc out.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Man, all of SNS's belt designs are great. I hope that title is defended 24/7. Not sure how you could make that work in 2k14, but I'm sure SNS could find a way.

Hefty Leftist
Jun 26, 2011

"You know how vodka or whiskey are distilled multiple times to taste good? It's the same with shit. After being digested for the third time shit starts to taste reeeeeeaaaally yummy."

I hope SNS makes some VGCW belts, those SNST belts are really really good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommonSensei
Apr 3, 2011

• Locked thread