Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast
The price of Bitcoin and Litecoin (indeed others too) has gone into freefall for the last 4~ hours or so, so maybe there will be people willing to sell their hoard of cards now. Who knows, but the cause it seems is China cashing out.

Then again, all of that could change in no time. Volatile and amusing, eh? :munch:

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 12:17 on Dec 18, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

HalloKitty posted:

Volatile and amusing

I identify with this

FF you did The Mod and can't even test it?! What the poo poo man, see, this is... I'll talk to you later today hopefully you'll have it fixed by then. I NEED to know whether this rules or cooked your chip. That's my old card you're posting nudes of you gently caress, can't believe you'd do that to me.

tjume
Feb 8, 2009
ASUS Radeon R9-290X DirectCU II OC review: http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/asus_radeon_r9_290x_directcuii_oc_review,1.html

Not sure if it was posted already but there's a mantle presentation by oxide games: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QIWyf8Hyjbg (demo starts at minute 26)

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

tjume posted:

ASUS Radeon R9-290X DirectCU II OC review: http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/asus_radeon_r9_290x_directcuii_oc_review,1.html

Not sure if it was posted already but there's a mantle presentation by oxide games: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QIWyf8Hyjbg (demo starts at minute 26)

In the first article, about goddamned time someone puts a custom cooler on one of these things. Though they don't understand Mantle. Which, is fair, because...

In the second, the presentation, once again we get the "it reduces CPU overhead" and the draw calls improvement, but we don't get anything meaty at all - when they're asked the only interesting question in the whole damned presentation, their response is "I can't talk about that.

Well, we should see it production proven pretty soon with BF4.

Edit: I'm pretty disappointed with the overclocking headroom considering the fancy power delivery and cooling hardware. But regardless of that, at least this article gives us one of the most amazing paragraphs I've read in regards to graphics overclocking. Emphasis theirs.

quote:

We do not recommend you to overclock with the Catalyst Control panel. We tried and failed miserably as once the OC is applied, it will be reinstated during Windows boot-up. In our case the overclock resulted into a black screen crash, and with each boot-up, the OC applied itself again before we could reach the control panel to enable default. In the end we ended up reinstalling an OS backup image as even a System Restore would not get us out of this little black hole.

Ouch... But Afterburner works fine :unsmith:

Agreed fucked around with this message at 14:34 on Dec 18, 2013

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

About time! There we go, sane temps, low noise, consistent performance.

Take notes, AMD. They need to get 290s out now, everyone does.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

HalloKitty posted:

The price of Bitcoin and Litecoin (indeed others too) has gone into freefall for the last 4~ hours or so, so maybe there will be people willing to sell their hoard of cards now. Who knows, but the cause it seems is China cashing out.

Then again, all of that could change in no time. Volatile and amusing, eh? :munch:

Glad I sold off my 7970 at the height of the craze :) Got 400 for a card I used for 6 months and only paid 330 for.

Oh hay, Newegg has XFX 290s back in stock. For 129 dollars more than they should be. loving bullshit.

veedubfreak fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Dec 18, 2013

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Arcane Velocity was like.
The Mod

All right, get out of there, Blu-ray drive.

Now, along with that slim drive adapter, I have room for the radiator.

Screw it in...

Fitted. The sharp-eyed amongst you might notice another dolt move that I had to fix - I pinned the extension cord for the pump power behind the rear radiator.

IT TURNS ON! THANK loving CHRIST! :negative:

Results:
pre:
                 Stock                The Mod
Idle temp:       54 C                 31 C
Furmark temp:    84 C                 54 C
OC Furmark:      91 C                 60 C
And that's 132% power target, +29/+200 GPU/VRAM. Probably could do better, just never had the thermal headroom.

As soon as I can afford to, I could really stand to replace the H55 stock fan with a Noctua tanfan. 30 dB is the loudest in the system by far.

Factory Factory fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Dec 18, 2013

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Forget it man this bat is whack, it's got poobrain!

Factory Factory posted:

As soon as I can afford to, I could really stand to replace the H55 stock fan with a Noctua tanfan. 30 dB is the loudest in the system by far.

On a rad you should really think about using a Gentle Typhoon on that, unless you want PWM.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

deimos posted:

On a rad you should really think about using a Gentle Typhoon on that, unless you want PWM.

Noctua P-12s and F-12s outperform the Gentle Typhoon I believe. I think even the Prolimatech USV 14" outperforms the Gentle Typhoon surpringsly enough?

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
I'm actually brainstorming right now. I wanted an NF-F12 PWM, but I don't have any free spots for a PWM fan hookup, as the two CLCs take up both fan headers on the motherboard (other fans are either passed through, GPU-controlled, or hooked to molex + resisted).

So right now I have 57 CFM, 1.9mm/H2O statis pressure, and ~30 dBA of noise, the stock H55 fan. I'd like ~20 dBA of noise.

The NF-F12 doesn't have a non-PWM version. Its spec sheet says that with LNA it runs at ~45 CFM, 1.8mm/H2O, and 18.6 dBA - pretty much perfect. I could get an inline PWM controller maybe... adapt 3-pin to PWM with a fixed speed control, drop it to 9V like the LNA. I'm not sure what to do to make this work.

A P12 is better speed, lower pressure, about the same noise (19.8 dBA). That'd work. But it doesn't cost any less than the F12 PWM.

Beyond that I have no idea and I'm open to suggestions. It has to be smaller than 120mm x 120mm x 25mm though - there's no room front or back for anything bigger.

Straker
Nov 10, 2005
That looks really nice. I used to follow a few DIY watercooling forums years ago and had tons of spreadsheets, lists of dimensions/fin spacing etc. of heater cores from all sorts of cars, pressure flow graphs etc. and had done all kinds of research, daydreams about cooling loops buried in the ground outside my window (I used to live in Canada) but never followed through... may have to now :)

Does Iwaki still make the best pumps?

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
Just use the F12 with the LNA if you have a motherboard header available. It'll plug into a 3 pin and just run at max speed, which should be fine with the LNA on.

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what

Dogen posted:

Just use the F12 with the LNA if you have a motherboard header available. It'll plug into a 3 pin and just run at max speed, which should be fine with the LNA on.

P8Z77-I Deluxe only has two fan headers total, and they're occupied non-negotiably. A 3-pin Molex adapter might work but I'd have to break some plastic to fit a 4-pin thingy into it. But it does give me an idea - I can run it off the "pull" fan header on the Kraken, which is a spare 4-pin. Add the LNA and run the fans at full speed (already being done on the 14cm Kraken fan), and there ya go.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

SourKraut posted:

Noctua P-12s and F-12s outperform the Gentle Typhoon I believe. I think even the Prolimatech USV 14" outperforms the Gentle Typhoon surpringsly enough?

At no speed is this true for a radiator from every test I have seen. And believe me, the sperglords are spergy about fans on radiators.

deimos fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Dec 18, 2013

GrizzlyCow
May 30, 2011

SourKraut posted:

It depends on what you're looking for, but that doesn't seem to be true. At least according to Martin. Or rather, my reading of Martin's graphs; I could be wrong.

GrizzlyCow fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Dec 18, 2013

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

And here's Martin's article on why specsheets are terrible for real world/radiator performance comparisons.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
Where the hell can I get my hands on a 360mm fan.

GrizzlyCow
May 30, 2011
Why would you need a fan that big?

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Sounds like you need 9 gentle typhoons (or a trip to Home Depot)

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

deimos posted:

Sounds like you need 9 gentle typhoons (or a trip to Home Depot)

I have 9 yate loons on a fan controller atm. But I'm thinking it might be quieter to run a giant 360 instead of 3x3 120mm.

CrazyB
May 14, 2003
The world needs more zombies.
So are Noctua's not good for radiator setup? I have a Corsair 350d and got a bunch of the 140mm FLX fans they make and I'm going to be getting the Kraken X10 in January to combine with either a X40 or X60 to use with the 140mms fans I got(I can put the 140mms fan now and just plan on adding radiator when I get the bracket) Should I return the Noctua fans if they are trashy for a radiator and get these Gentle Typhoons?

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
Maybe a couple or 3 200 or 230mm fans?

CrazyB posted:

So are Noctua's not good for radiator setup? I have a Corsair 350d and got a bunch of the 140mm FLX fans they make and I'm going to be getting the Kraken X10 in January to combine with either a X40 or X60 to use with the 140mms fans I got(I can put the 140mms fan now and just plan on adding radiator when I get the bracket) Should I return the Noctua fans if they are trashy for a radiator and get these Gentle Typhoons?

They make different models, some for radiators and some for use as case fans (difference being static pressure). Make sure you got the right ones (F or P, I think?)

Dogen fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Dec 18, 2013

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

AMD has applied for some interesting patents recently.

Any guesses as to what their USB display technology patent might be aimed at? Or their heterogeneous parallel primitives compute patent? Or, why not, a whole damned forward rendering engine that uses tiled forward rendering (how in the world do they expect to be granted that patent, there are whitepapers on tiled forward rendering out there that surely constitute prior art)? It also looks like they might be trying to patent the method they're using to do Crossfire without a bridge, but I could be wrong, could be console related. Hard to make heads or tails of that one.

CrazyB
May 14, 2003
The world needs more zombies.

Dogen posted:

Maybe a couple or 3 200 or 230mm fans?

They make different models, some for radiators and some for use as case fans (difference being static pressure). Make sure you got the right ones (F or P, I think?)

The 140mm only have 3 models. a PWN version, FLX which is the 3 pin power version, and ULN which is super quiet and doesn't move any air at all. I have 2 ULN and going to return them as they are basically silent they don't move enough air to have them in the case.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

CrazyB posted:

GTs don't come in 140mm, so not really an option.

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
FWIW, I like the 140mm FLX I put on my X40. And you definitely don't need a Kraken X60 for a GPU, from what I'm seeing.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Agreed posted:

(how in the world do they expect to be granted that patent, there are whitepapers on tiled forward rendering out there that surely constitute prior art)?

I haven't kept up 100% with SIGGRAPH but I think the patent is specifically about the light culling in that tilerd forward rendering engine. Also, a few of the last papers I remember on tiled forward rendering are from AMD and/or DICE.

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
The USB-display multiplexing patent looks like a Thunderbolt competitor. Nobody uses DP-carried USB, and Thunderbolt multiplexes PCIe. Multiplexing USB is... novel enough, technically speaking. Same with that mutliple tunnels patent - it appears 100% related and about a device-side split of one level of multiplexing without being the final destination.

Whitepapers don't count as prior art, because they aren't an invention, just an idea for an invention. If AMD implemented such a renderer, that would be patentable. Patents are about successfully making a thing, not just thinking it up.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Factory Factory posted:

The USB-display multiplexing patent looks like a Thunderbolt competitor. Nobody uses DP-carried USB, and Thunderbolt multiplexes PCIe. Multiplexing USB is... novel enough, technically speaking. Same with that mutliple tunnels patent - it appears 100% related and about a device-side split of one level of multiplexing without being the final destination.

Whitepapers don't count as prior art, because they aren't an invention, just an idea for an invention. If AMD implemented such a renderer, that would be patentable. Patents are about successfully making a thing, not just thinking it up.

GSync-over-USB, obviously.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
You know what I want? A single standard for video output. This poo poo is getting out of hand. We had VGA and DVI for the longest time. Now we have displayport, mini displayport, I think there's even a loving micro displayport. PICK ONE GOD DAMNIT. We just bought a bunch of tvs for video conferencing here at work and plan to use wireless HDMI. Sounds easy right? Well half the new laptops have hdmi, some have this mini hdmi bullshit and the older ones still only have displayport and vga out. The tiny rear end 12" laptops we just ordered only have hdmi and mini displayport. The one's we ordered last year have hdmi and normal displayport. Why does every new version of the laptop have to have a different loving video output. I just had to order a whole boatload of adapters so that people with new laptops that don't have VGA out can use them in the conference rooms, while ordering a different kind of adapter so that people with old laptops can use them on the new conference rooms. AAAAAAAARGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHH.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

I guess you'd hope all business laptops still always have VGA out, which almost every projector used for presentations is cabled for.

The poo poo you're talking about happens when people buy a ton of random consumer laptops. To be honest, I think Apple started all this "it's fine to put whatever loving ports on you feel like this month and make people buy adapters" bullshit on laptops.

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Dec 18, 2013

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

And we have our first R9 290X factory liquid cooled unit thanks to Powercolor! Provide your own liquid loop, as is the norm with this sort of thing.

The exhaust vent looks kinda goofy with nothing behind it, but I guess there's no real point machining a vent-less plate when you still need the top spot for the DVI port there and, eh, it's just a little unused vent.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

deimos posted:

GSync-over-USB, obviously.

Come on AMDsync.

jink
May 8, 2002

Drop it like it's Hot.
Taco Defender

Factory Factory posted:

The Mod

Thank you, Jink, they're lovely. :allears:

Fix it all up, and much better. I applied the extra copper with thermal taffy afterwards.

:woop:

Animal posted:

Well, gently caress. Now I have to do this to my Geforce 780 :(

Where do I get that bracket?

Sorry, I don't have any more brackets. I sold all 4 that I bought. I do have another Antec 620 BNIB. You can get a similar bracket via Sigma Cool (more info in this overclock.net thread). Or as Factory Factory has suggested, the NZXT G10 bracket.

Factory Factory posted:

The Mod

IT TURNS ON! THANK loving CHRIST! :negative:

Results:
pre:
                 Stock                The Mod
Idle temp:       54 C                 31 C
Furmark temp:    84 C                 54 C
OC Furmark:      91 C                 60 C
And that's 132% power target, +29/+200 GPU/VRAM. Probably could do better, just never had the thermal headroom.

Yesssssss. So glad that this is working! These are the same results I saw; a 20+C drop in temps. It's stupid how well it works. Now you have the thermal headroom to try any overclock you want or just focus on noise levels. :D

SourKraut posted:

Ehhh... No. I like Noctua and all but Gentle Typhoons (especially the GT15) reliably push more air through a radiator than any Noctua with less noise levels and at a cheaper price. http://martinsliquidlab.org/2012/05/07/r10-fan-testing-bitfenixnoctuasilenxnoiseblockerphobya/ Unless you need PWM, the GT-15 is the fan to go with. Be quick; Scythe and Nidec have reportedly stopped collaboration and no more Gentle Typhoon fans are to be produced.

Factory Factory posted:

I'm actually brainstorming right now. I wanted an NF-F12 PWM, but I don't have any free spots for a PWM fan hookup, as the two CLCs take up both fan headers on the motherboard (other fans are either passed through, GPU-controlled, or hooked to molex + resisted).

So right now I have 57 CFM, 1.9mm/H2O statis pressure, and ~30 dBA of noise, the stock H55 fan. I'd like ~20 dBA of noise.

The NF-F12 doesn't have a non-PWM version. Its spec sheet says that with LNA it runs at ~45 CFM, 1.8mm/H2O, and 18.6 dBA - pretty much perfect. I could get an inline PWM controller maybe... adapt 3-pin to PWM with a fixed speed control, drop it to 9V like the LNA. I'm not sure what to do to make this work.

A P12 is better speed, lower pressure, about the same noise (19.8 dBA). That'd work. But it doesn't cost any less than the F12 PWM.

Beyond that I have no idea and I'm open to suggestions. It has to be smaller than 120mm x 120mm x 25mm though - there's no room front or back for anything bigger.

Unless you are having noise issues then there is no reason to switch the fan; minimal airflow is all that your setup needs to cool down your GPU; I ran a Noctua P12 at 5V without any issues. The Mod works so well that a radiator with no fan is almost enough to cool the GPU. :)

BTW, I have plenty of Noctua fans left over from previous builds. If anyone wants them, holler! (I had an SA Mart thread with some of the fans but now I have even more Noctuas due to switching to SP120 fans in my build).

EDIT: Wanted to include the images that I took when I did The Mod:

jink fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Dec 18, 2013

nrr
Jan 2, 2007

Factory Factory posted:

Almost definitely a driver problem. May be hardware or a secondary driver problem (i.e. driver problem messed up other things).

When you get that error, MS recommends updating drivers (in your case, I'd Driver Fusion the old ones away then download and install a brand new set), running System File Checker (sfc /scannow at a command prompt), and if those fail, it's probably a hardware error.

Thanks. Is the free version of driver fusion enough or am I going to need the ~*PrEmIuM*~ version? Free version just told me it did what it could but couldn't get everything! (Maybe you should upgrade!) Is this bullshit, or are there likely bits leftover that are going to potentially cause problems?

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
When you guys talk about using an old NVidia card for dedicated Phys-X, does that use a ton of wattage or is it possible to do in some kind of lower power mode?

What about those "Dell Ageia Physx PCI Accelerator Video Card" that I see on eBay for $20, are those way too old to make a worthwhile contribution to minimum framerate? I have three PCI slots on my motherboard but only two can be SLI-ed so it'd be nice if I could do something useful the last one.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Zero VGS posted:

When you guys talk about using an old NVidia card for dedicated Phys-X, does that use a ton of wattage or is it possible to do in some kind of lower power mode?

What about those "Dell Ageia Physx PCI Accelerator Video Card" that I see on eBay for $20, are those way too old to make a worthwhile contribution to minimum framerate? I have three PCI slots on my motherboard but only two can be SLI-ed so it'd be nice if I could do something useful the last one.

No, this hasn't been supported since 2010ish. Aegia used to sell standalone accelerator cards before nVidia bought them out.

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what

nrr posted:

Thanks. Is the free version of driver fusion enough or am I going to need the ~*PrEmIuM*~ version? Free version just told me it did what it could but couldn't get everything! (Maybe you should upgrade!) Is this bullshit, or are there likely bits leftover that are going to potentially cause problems?

Free is fine. A regular "run the uninstaller" is generally fine; DriverFusion just picks up slack in case those fail because of bugs or whatnot.

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo

Zero VGS posted:

The cheapest card that doesn't use a lot of power and would still offer a performance improvement would be the 650. Kepler has a huge focus on power efficiency. If you use anything earlier than Kepler the card will still use a whole lot of power even in the low load conditions of working as a PhysX board.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nrr
Jan 2, 2007

Factory Factory posted:

Free is fine. A regular "run the uninstaller" is generally fine; DriverFusion just picks up slack in case those fail because of bugs or whatnot.

hmmm. Well on installing the new drivers, after it finished it told me there were "warnings" with the installation. The log file only had "success" next to each installed module, no mention of "warnings" anywhere and at the bottom, the error section was empty. It did detect some elements that were already present that I guess weren't completely uninstalled though. Not sure if that's an issue or not because SCF finished it's scan with 100% verification and said it did not find any integrity violations.