Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

Delivery McGee posted:

Is there an aftermarket strap with swivels in it like this Canon one?

I love my Domke Gripper strap on my 5D2. http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/16178-REG/Domke_742_6BK_1_5_Web_Camera_Strap.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Same here, that thing is fan-loving-tastic.

Bob Mundon
Dec 1, 2003
Your Friendly Neighborhood Gun Nut

Ulysses S. Grant posted:

Sigma 30mm f/1.4 - poo poo garbage for idiots or a good purchase to replace my Canon 50mm f/1.8? Discuss. (I have a T3i)

Made the exact same switch on my T3i and it never leaves my camera. There really is no comparison from a performance standpoint, and the focal length is much better for the T3i.

I had thought about going with the Canon 28 1.8 to stick with name brand, but I couldn't be happier with the Sigma.

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS
I was going through some old work pictures, and found this.

Just a public service reminder telling you that you don't necessarily need to spend a lot of money to have gear that works :)

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
I'm in the market for a new camera. I've been using a hand-me-down DSC-H9, which would be livable if not for the ~17 stuck/hot pixels.

I'm looking for something similar - there's no way I can afford a DSLR, even a used one, and a Pentax ME is within the budget for sure but I'm not sure I want to start off with film. I have large hands so a bridge camera form factor is a must - I felt out a bunch of cameras at my local Target when I last went shopping, and aside from every DSLR being lovely, every point and shoot felt tiny.

There was one camera that stood out, and I'd like commentary on it as well as recommendations for other ones.

First things first, budget is $200 and I don't expect the world for that price, but I'm getting tired of my phone having the same megapixels as my dedicated camera and 100% less hot pixels too.

Now the camera I'm talking about is the Pentax X-5. It's $150 at Target. I love that it has an EVF, which is pretty much a need for me, but I'm no expert so I have no idea how good the photos it takes are. It also takes AA's, which is alright by me. I don't need mondo zoom like the SX50 HS and the price is certainly right.

There's a Sony too for $200 that seemed great and boasted 20.1 megapixels, but megapixels don't make the camera and it lacks an EVF, but it seemed a much more solid camera in the hand. I don't remember the model number on it - I think it was HX-200?

Those are the two that stood out to me. Tell me, dorkroom goons, what's the best sub $200 bridge camera? Would I be alright with the Pentax?

A COMPUTER GUY
Aug 23, 2007

I can't spare this man - he fights.
A few of my friends have gone the route of getting a used Canon Rebel XTi on KEH for ~$90, and the kit 18-55mm on KEH for ~$60, and it ends up being drastically better than most point-and-shoot cameras you can get in the same price range. You might want to consider that.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
Definitely not a bad idea, especially considering KEH's warranty. Though I do wish their site was a little more intuitive to navigate. :sigh:

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

I got started with "serious" photography by buying a nikon d40 kit for 200 bucks. It's definetly possible to get a used dslr for the price of a new bridge camera (and even a d40 would probably poo poo over any under 200 dollar bridge camera, even today).

EPICAC
Mar 23, 2001

Ulysses S. Grant posted:

A few of my friends have gone the route of getting a used Canon Rebel XTi on KEH for ~$90, and the kit 18-55mm on KEH for ~$60, and it ends up being drastically better than most point-and-shoot cameras you can get in the same price range. You might want to consider that.

This is a great suggestion. Back in March I borrowed a friend's XTi and 18-55mm for a trip to Alaska. I needed something that I knew would be able to capture the aurora, and didn't think my S95 would be up to the job (it wasn't). The image quality of the XTi blew the S95 out of the water. I was really happy with most of the shots I got (focussing at infinity at night is a bitch). Borrowing the XTi convinced me to upgrade to a DSLR.

This shot is 15s, f/3.5, ISO800:

IMG_8417 by EPICAC, on Flickr

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The T1i/550d is getting close to those kinds of prices if you do some hunting, and it's a nice upgrade over the XTi.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
Message received, loud and clear. Gonna be on the hunt for a cheap, likely used DSLR.

ZippySLC
Jun 3, 2002

~what is art, baby dont post, dont post, no more~

no seriously don't post
You can get a Pentax K10D and an 18-55 lens in your budget.

K10D - $144 - http://www.keh.com/camera/Pentax-Digital-Camera-Bodies/1/sku-DP029991018950?r=FE
18-55 F3.5-5.6 SMC DA AL - $37 - http://www.keh.com/camera/Pentax-Digital-Zoom-Lenses/1/sku-DP07999074857N?r=FE
Becoming one of the elite discerning photographers who chose Pentax - priceless

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

ZippySLC posted:

Becoming one of the elite discerning photographers who chose Pentax - worthless

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
I have that exact setup - K10D with DA 18-55mm AL, and I upgraded to a K-5 just a few months ago after using my K10D for more than 3 years. Excellent, excellent camera, and while the lens is nothing special and has some drawbacks, it's a fine all-rounder and great for starting out.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
I have loyalty for Pentax if only because their 35mm cameras are outright iconic. So I will gladly step into the realm of Pentax DSLRs.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Tha Chodesweller posted:

I have loyalty for Pentax if only because their 35mm cameras are outright iconic. So I will gladly step into the realm of Pentax DSLRs.

My Pentax P30N will never leave my bag but I'd be so wary of getting a Pentax digital.

Sneeze Party
Apr 26, 2002

These are, by far, the most brilliant photographs that I have ever seen, and you are a GOD AMONG MEN.
Toilet Rascal
A Pentax K10D was my second DSLR, the first being the original Canon Digital Rebel. I now own a Canon 7D.

The K10D has my favorite control setup. I like it more than the 7D. It just felt right in my hands. The placement of the wheels and the buttons fit perfectly with my shooting style. There was nothing extra and there was nothing that I wanted for.

The autofocus performance was decent, high ISO noise was alright. Image quality was reaaaalllyyy good and the dynamic range was excellent. It was also nice being able to use my old manual-focus lenses.

Don't poo poo talk Pentax digital, bro. You don't know.

Mightaswell
Dec 4, 2003

Not now chief, I'm in the fuckin' zone.
The Pentax K-3 is basically the new D400 everyone wanted.

How loving rad is the on/off anti-aliasing filter??

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
If you've got big hands, I wouldn't recommend an XTi. I would look at a used 30D or 40D instead. Much larger, more comfortable grip.

The 40D is hopelessly out of date by today's camera standards, but it is still a competent and solid camera.

HPL fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Dec 17, 2013

Mightaswell
Dec 4, 2003

HPL posted:

The 40D is hopelessly out of date by today's camera standards

Not by Canon standards! :banjo:

ZippySLC
Jun 3, 2002

~what is art, baby dont post, dont post, no more~

no seriously don't post

n0n0 posted:

A Pentax K10D was my second DSLR, the first being the original Canon Digital Rebel. I now own a Canon 7D.

That's the route I took, except that I got a Pentax K-x, and now have a K-5.

rcman50166
Mar 23, 2010

by XyloJW

HPL posted:

If you've got big hands, I wouldn't recommend an XTi. I would look at a used 30D or 40D instead. Much larger, more comfortable grip.

The 40D is hopelessly out of date by today's camera standards, but it is still a competent and solid camera.

For $250? It's still a very competitive camera in the used market.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
Admittedly I'm far from an expert but I can't imagine "camera standards" means a lot - I mean, there are only so many different ways to take a photo, and if it's a pretty drat good photo with cheap gear, what's to complain about?

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

Tha Chodesweller posted:

Admittedly I'm far from an expert but I can't imagine "camera standards" means a lot - I mean, there are only so many different ways to take a photo, and if it's a pretty drat good photo with cheap gear, what's to complain about?

People here will endlessly debate your first point - "there are only so many different ways to take a photo" - but your second point - "if it's a pretty drat good photo with cheap any gear, what's to complain about?" is pretty much Dorkroom Consensus, as far as I can tell.

Pentax DSLRs get a bad rap for some reason I've never quite understood. Sometimes I think it's simply popularity - there are far more Canon and Nikon DSLRs out there in the world than Pentax - but I don't see that blatantly stated very often.

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

ExecuDork posted:

People here will endlessly debate your first point - "there are only so many different ways to take a photo" - but your second point - "if it's a pretty drat good photo with cheap any gear, what's to complain about?" is pretty much Dorkroom Consensus, as far as I can tell.

Pentax DSLRs get a bad rap for some reason I've never quite understood. Sometimes I think it's simply popularity - there are far more Canon and Nikon DSLRs out there in the world than Pentax - but I don't see that blatantly stated very often.

I think a large part of it isn't the hardware itself (apart from be-your-own-anime rainbow cameras), it's the hilariously persecuted userbase on the main forum dedicated to Pentax users.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Tha Chodesweller posted:

In all my shopping I wish that point had sunk in more. The difference between a 20D and a 40D, or an XT and a T3i, isn't going to be the difference between a good picture and a bad picture for beginners (like me). As a beginner, the list of things loving up your pictures is going to be pretty long and "2-4 years of extra camera development" is going to be pretty far down the list.

Don't feel at all ashamed about getting a $200 kit and a $50 50/1.8 and leaving it there for months or years. When it's time to spend real-people money, you'll know exactly where you need to be and what perks are worth paying for to you.

HolyDukeNukem
Sep 10, 2008

SoundMonkey posted:

I think a large part of it isn't the hardware itself (apart from be-your-own-anime rainbow cameras), it's the hilariously persecuted userbase on the main forum dedicated to Pentax users.

I will definitely say that this is the truth. Every now and then I remind myself how sane this sub-forum is by going to the pentaxforums rumors sub-forum. It is truly eye opening how stupid and insane those people can be. I think a lot of the reviewers thought that Pentax didn't make good cameras for a while, but most pretty openly state they make some of the best crop sensor cameras on the market right now.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
Oh, right. Other forums - I always forget about those because I never go into them, beyond reading reviews or the marketplace subforums. Craziness abounds.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
The 40D will be a fine camera for about 80% of situations. Where it falls flat is low light, high ISO situations and tracking fast moving subjects like birds or whatever. That being said, I used mine for years of shooting concerts and sports so yes it is very doable, but improvements in camera tech since then have made it much, much easier.

Also, there's no video capability and its liveview functions are rather limited. It does have a good frame rate and it mops the floor with the XTi in all categories except size and weight.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
I shoot exclusively with a 30D and my photos rule.

But yeah high ISO stuff sucks, though I've never had a problem tracking birds with it.

Mightaswell
Dec 4, 2003

My "by Canon standards" comment wasn't knocking the 40D so much as knocking every other crop body Canon has released since. Per pixel sharpness, noise, and color sensitivity peaked with the 40D. ISO performance actually isn't worse per se, it just doesn't go as high.

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

^^^ Yeah Canon crops have been pretty stagnant since the 40D. The only big leap in technology was the 7D and they didn't really do much to the sensor.

Still using a 50D (which isn't much different than a 40D) and I'm doing fine. Don't have any low light magical abilities but neither did any photographers 10 years ago.

Hopefully next year I'll be able get on the 5DIII bandwagon since Canon doesn't care about crop.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
I've sort of thought the same thing. I'm also still on the 50D and have yet to really feel compelled to upgrade.

Everytime Canon rolls out a new crop, I get excided until I see it and hear the reviews then I sit back down and put away my wallet. The 7D was the best so far (video/AF) but not enough to warrant a slight improvement.

I've debated swapping over to FF but the cost is too high for me at the moment, and I don't have any experience with the 6D so I'm either going to wait until they release a better crop or improve upon the lower level FF which means I'll probably just pick up a used 5d3 in a year or two.

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

Verman posted:

I've sort of thought the same thing. I'm also still on the 50D and have yet to really feel compelled to upgrade.

Everytime Canon rolls out a new crop, I get excided until I see it and hear the reviews then I sit back down and put away my wallet. The 7D was the best so far (video/AF) but not enough to warrant a slight improvement.

I've debated swapping over to FF but the cost is too high for me at the moment, and I don't have any experience with the 6D so I'm either going to wait until they release a better crop or improve upon the lower level FF which means I'll probably just pick up a used 5d3 in a year or two.

I'm right there with you. In addition, another hurdle for me would be to replace my tamron 17-50 with something like a 24-70. If I stuck with crop, I could just sell the tamron and spend a few hundred on the Canon 17-55 to be happy. If I go full frame I will probably want the 24-70mk II, which adds another 2k to the cost.

Maybe I'll just get the lens first and wait on the 5D3. I'm sure the price of the camera will drop more than the lens anyway.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
I feel similarly about the 40D versus the 50D and 60D. When those came out, there was such a small incremental improvement over the 40D that I ended up going mirrorless instead of staying on the Canon crop sensor path. Since then, the 6D is the only Canon camera that has even come close to make me think of going back to DSLRs.

rcman50166
Mar 23, 2010

by XyloJW
I was retarded and went from a 40D to a 60D, then bought another 40D :yayclod:

Okay to be fair there is quite a significant difference in the video department.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki
And the flippy screen. So flippy.

rcman50166
Mar 23, 2010

by XyloJW

fivre posted:

That I've hyper extended :smith:

A COMPUTER GUY
Aug 23, 2007

I can't spare this man - he fights.

fivre posted:

For me, the biggest single improvement going from an XTi to a T3i is the flippy screen. I love the flippy screen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster
EOS 3 body at the local shop for $125.... should I pick it up?