Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hamhandler
Aug 9, 2008

[I want to] shit in your fucking mouth. [I'm going to] slap your fucking mouth. [I'm going to] slap your real mother across the face [laughter]. Fuck you, you're still a rookie. I'll kill you.

PrinceRandom posted:

I thought Miami would go for a OT first? Though it looks like with how few linemen he has going in the first they could probably get a 1st round quality in the second which I suppose would be awesome but it is not likely.

Defensive Tackle isn't implausible. Both Randy Starks and Paul Soliai are free agents who have made it clear they want big money, long-term deals. Jared Odrick is playing very well too, but those three are basically the strength of the defense right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Andio
May 10, 2004

Over thinking, over analyzing separates the body from the mind
Withering my intuition leaving opportunities behind
Anthony Barr, I see him in all sorts of mocks going to the Bucs. Is he good enough for a top 10 pick?

Parmesan Basil
Nov 12, 2008

TIME IS THE FIRE IN WHICH WE BURN THE GAME CLOCK
Chiefs need a QB, of course, but if we can't pull that off, getting a top-flight TE to make Smith look better would be sweet.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
Which QB should I have the most irrational fear of, in a worst case Browns scenario?

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*

Andio posted:

Anthony Barr, I see him in all sorts of mocks going to the Bucs. Is he good enough for a top 10 pick?

Yes. Honestly he might not fall to Tampa.

Andio
May 10, 2004

Over thinking, over analyzing separates the body from the mind
Withering my intuition leaving opportunities behind

The Puppy Bowl posted:

Yes. Honestly he might not fall to Tampa.

Wow, really? If he's that good, pair him with Lavonte David...

I know it's very early in the mock draft process but I've seen OL, WR and OLB for Bucs at 7. That's assuming we keep that 7th pick.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

Andio posted:

Wow, really? If he's that good, pair him with Lavonte David...

I know it's very early in the mock draft process but I've seen OL, WR and OLB for Bucs at 7. That's assuming we keep that 7th pick.

Barr is more of a pass-rushing OLB than the kind used in a 4-3, and would probably be converted to DE in that case.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Declan MacManus posted:

Bortles in the top 5? Wow.

E: I wonder how much time on draft night is going to be spent on his girlfriend.

Most of it if he goes top 5 :quagmire:

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
We absolutely resign soliai to a good contract. Thanks for everything Starks.

Odrick is pure stud too

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.
I didn't know it would be so stupid.

Ozu posted:

Here's McShay's 1.0 mock. Accuracy isn't expected since his first mock last year had Star, Damontre Moore, and Bjoern Werner 1-3.

His 49er pick makes no sense. The D-line is over-stocked at the moment, and everyone is on an extended contract.

Azhais posted:

Walter has the same top two, but went with Clowney to Jax:

Walter's makes sense for them. CB is almost a guarantee for their first round choice.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Gonna keep an eye on Mosley, then, I guess. The Eagles, incidentally, have not drafted a corner with a 1st round pick in 11 years (Lito Sheppard, 2002). And there's been plenty of years where they've had CB and S as major needs!

Reid started a trend of 2nd/3rd day picks on the secondary and Roseman continued it after taking personnel control last year, and it's resulted in some garbage selections (Curtis Marsh, Jaqwann Jarrett, Nate Allen, Trevard Lindley, Macho Harris). Please break tendency Howie.

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Dec 19, 2013

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

AAA DOLFAN posted:

We absolutely resign soliai to a good contract. Thanks for everything Starks.

Odrick is pure stud too

Isn't there some friction between Soliai and the front office? Or at least between his agent and them? I thought there was some bitching this year.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002

swickles posted:

Isn't there some friction between Soliai and the front office? Or at least between his agent and them? I thought there was some bitching this year.

That was Starks, who "flipped off the bench!!!!" (Flipped off his teammates saying he was washed up because he no longer started. As a joke)

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.

Coldforge posted:

His 49er pick makes no sense. The D-line is over-stocked at the moment, and everyone is on an extended contract.

Walter's makes sense for them. CB is almost a guarantee for their first round choice.

All the good WRs and CBs are off the board at the time the Niners pick in that mock, in which case I wouldn't completely hate a DL pick. I think it's more likely they trade up than just sit there if the guys they like at their need positions start coming off the board.

The Niners are really going to need bodies at those positions though, it sounds like Tarell Brown is walking unless he's severely overestimating the market. I'm not really happy about it, Baalke generally knows what he's doing when it comes to locking down guys (I can't think of anyone he's kept vs. letting go that has come back to really bite the team, financially or otherwise), but Brown's been the most consistent corner on the team for the last two and a half seasons and I'll hate to see him go.

I would really like to see them come away from the first round with Dennard, Ekpre-Olomu, or Gilbert. I'm coming around on Gilbert a lot because he could add special teams value as well. If they go receiver then the first round guys I like are Lee (not happening), Evans (ditto, probably), Adams, and Matthews, although I'd prefer them to go corner first and try to snag Landry with one of their seconds.

Hamhandler
Aug 9, 2008

[I want to] shit in your fucking mouth. [I'm going to] slap your fucking mouth. [I'm going to] slap your real mother across the face [laughter]. Fuck you, you're still a rookie. I'll kill you.

swickles posted:

Yes, David Canter said some pretty inflammatory stuff on twitter and I'm kinda shocked no one picked it up.

David Canter ‏@davidcanter 1h
Happy for Koa. Great kid deserves to be paid. Wonder who will protect all those expensive LBs next year without Starks & Soliai

Jordan ‏@jords_mac 1h
@davidcanter who says Soliai isn't staying?

@jords_mac me

David Canter ‏@davidcanter 50m
@phinfan2003 not up to me & sadly were fed up with their tactics

RT @IamJClary: @davidcanter Not all deals get done while player still in contract, perhaps patience is a virtue.

RT @davidcanter: @IamJClary patience for a regime change yes

Meanwhile...

Omar KellyVerified account
‏@OmarKelly
I'm like a cat. Very moody. Sometimes I want to play. Sometimes I'll scratch you. You just never know.

:allears:

Regnevelc
Jan 12, 2003

I'M A GROWN ASS MAN!
Lewan to Arizona would be cool.

mick foley forever
Dec 15, 2013

Quest For Glory II posted:

Gonna keep an eye on Mosley, then, I guess. The Eagles, incidentally, have not drafted a corner with a 1st round pick in 11 years (Lito Sheppard, 2002). And there's been plenty of years where they've had CB and S as major needs!

Reid started a trend of 2nd/3rd day picks on the secondary and Roseman continued it after taking personnel control last year, and it's resulted in some garbage selections (Curtis Marsh, Jaqwann Jarrett, Nate Allen, Trevard Lindley, Macho Harris). Please break tendency Howie.

Nate Allen is looking a bit better this year so I'm gonna hold out hope for him at SS. Honestly the need for CB outweighs the need for ILB greatly at this point, so Ifo Ekpre-Olomu would be a really good choice.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

Catfish Noodlin posted:

Yes, David Canter said some pretty inflammatory stuff on twitter and I'm kinda shocked no one picked it up.

Happy for Koa. Great kid deserves to be paid. Wonder who will protect all those expensive LBs next year without Starks & Soliai

Jordan ‏@jords_mac 1h
@davidcanter who says Soliai isn't staying?

@jords_mac me

David Canter ‏@davidcanter 50m
@phinfan2003 not up to me & sadly were fed up with their tactics

RT @IamJClary: @davidcanter Not all deals get done while player still in contract, perhaps patience is a virtue.

RT @davidcanter: @IamJClary patience for a regime change yes

Meanwhile...

Omar KellyVerified account
‏@OmarKelly
I'm like a cat. Very moody. Sometimes I want to play. Sometimes I'll scratch you. You just never know.

:allears:

I for one am excited that the Dolphins will be blowing up the most consistent and productive position on the team

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
Ireland has proven to make the right decisions with regard to keeping specific defenders. I don't think Soliai will play outside of Miami.

Starks will walk. It'll be Vernon - Odrick - Soliai - Wake

oh my god that D-line is so good ugh

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

AAA DOLFAN posted:

Ireland has proven to make the right decisions with regard to keeping specific defenders. I don't think Soliai will play outside of Miami.

And I guess we move Jordan to OLB/use him in wacky 5-2 packages to hide how exposed the linebackers are

LARGE THE HEAD
Sep 1, 2009

"Competitive greatness is when you play your best against the best."

"Learn as if you were to live forever; live as if you were to die tomorrow."

--John Wooden
Did Dion Jordan bust or does he still have the potential to be useful for the Dolphins?

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.
If the Texans take Derek Carr first overall I will lose my loving mind with laughter. Is there anything I can do to help make this happen?

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

gohuskies posted:

If the Texans take Derek Carr first overall I will lose my loving mind with laughter. Is there anything I can do to help make this happen?

Get the job as Texans GM because otherwise it ain't happening

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

Intruder posted:

Get the job as Texans GM because otherwise it ain't happening

The only way it might happen would be if there's a trade down, but even then I'd rather go for a guy like Bortles or Manziel.

But you knew that already. :smug:

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

bhsman posted:

The only way it might happen would be if there's a trade down, but even then I'd rather go for a guy like Bortles or Manziel.

But you knew that already. :smug:

If the Texans trade down and take Carr then he still won't be the first overall :v:

Also I will hold to my toxx if we take Manziel. I'll need a Chiefs avatar. I'd rather have AJ McCarron than Manziel

e: I think I'm ready to take the leap on Clowney, then draft a QB in the second round if anyone drops who's worth it, otherwise hang onto Schaub for an extra year. Especially if Bridgewater doesn't declare

Intruder fucked around with this message at 10:34 on Dec 19, 2013

PrinceRandom
Feb 26, 2013

gohuskies posted:

Break Bridgewater legs and convince Clowney to become a Buddhist mink.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

Intruder posted:

I'd rather have AJ McCarron than Manziel

I'm gonna quote this for you, unedited, as proof that you actually typed it.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

bhsman posted:

I'm gonna quote this for you, unedited, as proof that you actually typed it.

I'd rather bring back David Carr than draft Manziel. I'd rather sign Brady Quinn than draft Manziel. I'd rather bring Dan Pastorini out of retirement than draft Manziel

e: Even if we stick to Aggies, I'd rather have Bucky Richardson than Manziel

gently caress I'd rather have Jared Allen at QB than Manziel

Intruder fucked around with this message at 10:38 on Dec 19, 2013

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.
I know the name has a really negative stigma for Texans fans, but having seen a decent amount of Fresno State this year I actually think Carr has a pretty good chance of being a solid NFL starter. I'd take him in the second over Manziel in the first any day, but I doubt that's an option a theoretical GM would have.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Bridgewater vs Clowney, I can see going either way. Carr vs Clowney, if you go Carr then holy gently caress

Also Derek Carr has stated how much he hates the way Houston treated his brother so we might get an Eli Manning situation

e: However I'd take Carr looooooooooooong before I'd entertain the idea of Manziel

Intruder fucked around with this message at 10:45 on Dec 19, 2013

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

Grozz Nuy posted:

I know the name has a really negative stigma for Texans fans, but having seen a decent amount of Fresno State this year I actually think Carr has a pretty good chance of being a solid NFL starter. I'd take him in the second over Manziel in the first any day, but I doubt that's an option a theoretical GM would have.

Meh, the biggest knocks on Carr so far are that:

A) He tends to fall apart under pressure (and lo, it was as if a million Texans fans cried out "We could have told you that"); and

B) The offense Fresno runs involves a lot of bubble screens that inflate his stats

I never got to watch the Carr Experience(tm) but I just don't like the story of Houston drafting the brother of the former QB, not to mention it means their dad gets involved again.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

From what I've read, he also has trouble progressing through his reads

Falls apart under pressure and is a single read QB? Sounds familiar!

LARGE THE HEAD
Sep 1, 2009

"Competitive greatness is when you play your best against the best."

"Learn as if you were to live forever; live as if you were to die tomorrow."

--John Wooden
Both McCarron and Manziel can absolutely start NFL games (it's not that hard to do) but I'd choose Manziel 10 times out of 10 just because of his particular brand of football savantism.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

LARGE THE HEAD posted:

Did Dion Jordan bust or does he still have the potential to be useful for the Dolphins?

Missed almost the entire offseason and some game time with his shoulder.

He'll be good when Miami moves him to LB permanently.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
He had a few impact plays

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.
As of a 2 weeks ago Dion Jordan led the league in hurries per pass rush (he may still) Unfortunately it's a small sample size because for whatever reasons he is barely on the field. When he is, it's usually in coverage because he is actually pretty good at it while the other linebackers are horrendous.

Hamhandler
Aug 9, 2008

He's got pretty good pass rushing production for his snap count, but the coaching staff has been really stubborn with getting on the field, partially because they're idiots partially because Olivier Vernon has had 11.5 sacks.

He has been shockingly good in coverage. I expected him to be good for an edge rusher, but he's been put in man coverage repeatedly vs. Gronk, Olsen, Gates, etc. and hasn't had a completion against him, and they've been able to do some really wacky zone blitz stuff:

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-cant-miss-plays/0ap2000000274515/WK-9-Can-t-Miss-Play-Wake-off-safety

This was kind of crazy, here he's lined up over the innermost slot guy to the offensive left, and then covering a different guy on a wheel route down the field.

Rasczak
Mar 30, 2005

AAA DOLFAN posted:

I wouldn't trust Ireland to put his pants on correctly in the morning

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

bhsman posted:

Meh, the biggest knocks on Carr so far are that:

A) He tends to fall apart under pressure (and lo, it was as if a million Texans fans cried out "We could have told you that"); and

B) The offense Fresno runs involves a lot of bubble screens that inflate his stats

I never got to watch the Carr Experience(tm) but I just don't like the story of Houston drafting the brother of the former QB, not to mention it means their dad gets involved again.

He actually doesn't fall apart under pressure, not sure where you're getting that from. If you're talking about the San Jose State game, then yeah he looked a bit bad towards the end... after throwing 6 touch downs. Fresno does run bubble screens but they run vertical sideline routes even more. The bubble screens don't inflate his stats and he's making legitimate throws all over the field.

I wouldn't worry about any team taking him #1 overall though, he's a top 100 player, not top 10. Bortles is more likely to be the obscure name that leap frogs Bridgewater/Manziel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

Catfish Noodlin posted:

He's got pretty good pass rushing production for his snap count, but the coaching staff has been really stubborn with getting on the field, partially because they're idiots partially because Olivier Vernon has had 11.5 sacks.

He has been shockingly good in coverage. I expected him to be good for an edge rusher, but he's been put in man coverage repeatedly vs. Gronk, Olsen, Gates, etc. and hasn't had a completion against him, and they've been able to do some really wacky zone blitz stuff:

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-cant-miss-plays/0ap2000000274515/WK-9-Can-t-Miss-Play-Wake-off-safety

This was kind of crazy, here he's lined up over the innermost slot guy to the offensive left, and then covering a different guy on a wheel route down the field.

He's going to be really good if Miami doesn't gently caress it up.

• Locked thread