Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

Citizen Jerk posted:

Scharpling and Wurster forever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mico
Jan 29, 2011

A billion dollars.
I'm sitting here in silence not knowing what to do with myself. I know if I put on music I'll invariably go for Superchunk or The Mountain Goats and that'll just make me feel even worse.

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession

Mico posted:

I'm sitting here in silence not knowing what to do with myself. I know if I put on music I'll invariably go for Superchunk or The Mountain Goats and that'll just make me feel even worse.
I'm listening to the Wurster call about the Bruce Springsteen biography

Unbootable
Jul 3, 2003

het posted:

I'm listening to the Wurster call about the Bruce Springsteen biography

Easily one of my favorite calls of all time. Just the title alone that he comes up with for the biography makes me instantaneously loose my poo poo every time.

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession

Unbootable posted:

Easily one of my favorite calls of all time. Just the title alone that he comes up with for the biography makes me instantaneously loose my poo poo every time.
"Actually the full title is Darkness on the River's Edge in the USA: From Greetings To the Promise: Bruce Springsteen: The Story Behind the Albums"

het fucked around with this message at 06:57 on Dec 18, 2013

TransatlanticFoe
Mar 1, 2003

Hell Gem
I'm listening to the PFT Gathering of the Juggalos clip, it's what sold me on the Best Show and is still making me cry laughing.

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession

TransatlanticFoe posted:

I'm listening to the PFT Gathering of the Juggalos clip, it's what sold me on the Best Show and is still making me cry laughing.
The guy reading the promotional text about the helicopter rides is so funny in and of itself

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Ninety-one? There are ninety other "Tiger Drivers"? Do any involve actual tigers, or driving?
As much as I just wanted him to end it by hanging up on one last terrible caller, everything after the collage was pure class. 2-3 calls (I guess all the regulars were crying too hard to pick up the phone), some "holy poo poo, we really did this" talk with Mike & Jon, a genuinely heartfelt goodbye speech ... And then a beatiful fakeout to end it.

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

Do you smell what The Mauk is cooking?
Spike called into another WFMU show at 5 AM today

The Bunk
Sep 15, 2007

Oh, I just don't know
where to begin.
Fun Shoe
I had a PM asking how I've been converting the .rm streams, so I might as well post here as well in case others are interested. Again, if anyone has a hosting solution I'm happy to upload so people can avoid having to do this. I'd estimate 50-70 Mb / show & probably at least 200 shows until that archive I posted gets reliable in 2006.

1) Using NetTransport (30 day free trial), start a new download with source URL rtsp://archive.wfmu.org/archive/BS/bs001024.rm (changing the .rm file to coincide with show dates from http://wfmu.org/playlists/BS, ie example file is from October 24, 2000). This will save a ~20 mb .rm file.

2) In VLC, go to Media>Convert/Save, add the .rm file and choose Convert. Set profile to Audio - MP3, and change Audio Codec to MP3, 64 kb/s (that's what the mp3 archives are), 2 channels, and 44100 Sample Rate. I'm not sure if Encapsulation makes a difference, but mine is set on RAW. Then just set the destination file and hit start.

Edit: We may have a hoster.

The Bunk fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Dec 18, 2013

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Ninety-one? There are ninety other "Tiger Drivers"? Do any involve actual tigers, or driving?
You could always throw up a torrent somewhere instead of hosting what sounds like 15 GB of data. That sounds like it might turn into an expensive pain in the rear end over time.

In any case, keep us posted.

Unbootable
Jul 3, 2003

The Bunk posted:

1) Using NetTransport (30 day free trial), start a new download with source URL rtsp://archive.wfmu.org/archive/BS/bs001024.rm (changing the .rm file to coincide with show dates from http://wfmu.org/playlists/BS, ie example file is from October 24, 2000). This will save a ~20 mb .rm file.

I just wanted to add that I've been using Flashget to grab the RM files, it doesn't seem to have any kind of trial period. I was trying to figure out some way to mass convert the date formats on the playlist to the date format of the files, do you happen to have any tips on how to approach this, or if it's at all possible?

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

CaptainPsyko posted:

Fogelnest and Daniel Ralston just did a really nice little Best Show retrospective.

Far too short to be anything resembling a comprehensive best of, but it covered a few of my favorite high notes and makes for a fun listen. It includes Tom's now definitive definition of Zappa, as 'getting a prank phone call while listening to a warped/skipping jazz fusion record.'

"It's like listening to a skipping copy of Bitches Brew while getting a prank phone call."

I love that description. I listened to the show last night with my girlfriend just sitting on our living room floor, it was great.

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

Do you smell what The Mauk is cooking?
WFMU's website must still be getting murdered because I can't even load the popup player to listen to last night's show

The Bunk
Sep 15, 2007

Oh, I just don't know
where to begin.
Fun Shoe

Illinois Smith posted:

You could always throw up a torrent somewhere instead of hosting what sounds like 15 GB of data. That sounds like it might turn into an expensive pain in the rear end over time.

In any case, keep us posted.

Yeah, i thought about torrenting it (actually maybe I should check to see whether the torrents I've found before with no seeders might be active now before I do all this work), but I guess I'd have to have all the episodes ready before starting rather than being able to upload them gradually. It might still be a better option, though. Maybe I could do 1 torrent per year of the show or something.

Unbootable posted:

I just wanted to add that I've been using Flashget to grab the RM files, it doesn't seem to have any kind of trial period. I was trying to figure out some way to mass convert the date formats on the playlist to the date format of the files, do you happen to have any tips on how to approach this, or if it's at all possible?

Thanks, yeah I heard about Flashget when I was trying to figure out how to go about this, but I think when I tried to download it the website was down and then I read about some malware concerns on Wikipedia. If it seems OK I can give it a shot, though. No idea on the date format. Net Transport has a way to incorporate wildcards, but not in any way that would be helpful considering the non-linear date format. I've just been doing it manually.

The Bunk fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Dec 18, 2013

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

Groucho Marxist posted:

Spike called into another WFMU show at 5 AM today

It turns out they made like AMC and did their own Talking Bad/Dead on the last Best Show

http://www.wfmu.org/playlists/shows/53637

Asterios
Apr 17, 2008

So long, Skorpex!

https://www.presidentbaby.com
A few Christmases ago, I released an audio archive of Tom singing songs live on the air. For easier listening, I put it up on SoundCloud. From "Wise Up" to "Celluloid Heroes," here's every spontaneous Scharpling song moment I could find back in 2010!

https://soundcloud.com/asteriosk/sets/tom-sings-toms-best-tunes-from

GraPar
Jun 2, 2011
That's awesome, thanks so much for that. Tom singing Bridge Over Troubled Water in that is genuinely a little emotional, especially given the context of him trying to help a troubled teen feel better.

The other (more recent) 'Scharpling Sings!' moments I love are him aggressively doing the hook of The Who's Bell Boy and when he just makes up some words for an instrumental Beach Boys song. Related, this clip of Tom analysing Chestnut Mare is one of my favourite bits of the show ever.

GraPar fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Dec 18, 2013

picosecond
Dec 9, 2006

one millionth of one millionth of a second
I'm listening to that soundcloud now in a very public place. Had to fight myself to keep from laughing out loud at that ridiculous woman who just kept on trying to talk to Tom, while he was drowning her out with "All By Myself."

Unbootable
Jul 3, 2003

The Bunk posted:

Thanks, yeah I heard about Flashget when I was trying to figure out how to go about this, but I think when I tried to download it the website was down and then I read about some malware concerns on Wikipedia. If it seems OK I can give it a shot, though. No idea on the date format. Net Transport has a way to incorporate wildcards, but not in any way that would be helpful considering the non-linear date format. I've just been doing it manually.

Hey, if you'd like any kind of help gathering together all the years, I'd love to help as much as I could, the Best Show means so much to me and I'd love to give back to the community. I've read on a couple other forums that people are seeking out their own archiving projects as well, if you think it'd be worthwhile to reach out and try to crowdsource the archiving.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Asterios posted:

A few Christmases ago, I released an audio archive of Tom singing songs live on the air. For easier listening, I put it up on SoundCloud. From "Wise Up" to "Celluloid Heroes," here's every spontaneous Scharpling song moment I could find back in 2010!

1) This is fantastic.

2) You're missing the multiple times that Tom has sung Abba songs on air, and I feel that this is a grave oversight. There's this rendition of Take a Chance On Me with Patton Oswalt and Ted Leo which rules, and more recently, there was an episode which I am having trouble finding (within the past 6 months, I'm pretty sure), when he did a protracted singalong with an Abba record on air just him alone in the studio singing along with a record he loves and it's awesome because it's just so honest and Tom at his most Tom.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

Daniel Ralston interviewed Scharpling this morning about last night:

http://www.grantland.com/blog/holly...-on-wfmu-finale

Mico
Jan 29, 2011

A billion dollars.
My favorite Scharpling musical number is when he did Killing in the Name during the 2012 marathon finale

Asterios
Apr 17, 2008

So long, Skorpex!

This archive is only up to Christmas of 2010 (when I had no job and a lot of free time.) Send me MP3's of these Tom classics, and I'll get them in! asterios.kokkinos@gmail.com

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

I kind of assumed the show was going to end with chumbawumba or a terrible caller.

The Bunk
Sep 15, 2007

Oh, I just don't know
where to begin.
Fun Shoe
As others have said, it looks like there are some efforts on the FOT board to get the complete archives together so I'm probably not going to put a ton of effort into my own thing. To tide you over, though, here are all the shows from fall/winter 2000 (sorry one of them is twice as big; it was before I knew the right bit rate). You should probably at least grab the Dec 26 show since it's actually not officially in the WFMU archives & I had to find it somewhere else. I haven't heard it, but apparently they had to take it down and apologize to a dude from Blood, Sweat, and Tears because of it.

Dropbox

I'm currently listening to 10/24 and it's insane. Jon Benjamin & someone else (anyone know who?) play a Mets and Yankees fans who come down to the studio to fight. It's also the first ever appearance of Philly Boy Roy.

Unbootable
Jul 3, 2003

The Bunk posted:

I'm currently listening to 10/24 and it's insane. Jon Benjamin & someone else (anyone know who?) play a Mets and Yankees fans who come down to the studio to fight. It's also the first ever appearance of Philly Boy Roy.

I listened to this the other day and I'm pretty sure the other fan is played by UCB's Matt Walsh (from Veep, among other things.)

The Bunk
Sep 15, 2007

Oh, I just don't know
where to begin.
Fun Shoe

Unbootable posted:

I listened to this the other day and I'm pretty sure the other fan is played by UCB's Matt Walsh (from Veep, among other things.)

Yeah, that would make sense. I know he used to call in but didn't recognize his voice.

Billy Gnosis
May 18, 2006

Now is the time for us to gather together and celebrate those things that we like and think are fun.
Just out of curiosity, did the Mit Hamine guy call in the last few months or did he finally move on?

GraPar
Jun 2, 2011
Tom's run of impressions is still incredible

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Ok now everyone go back to listening to Seven Second Delay.

Asterios
Apr 17, 2008

So long, Skorpex!

Snowy posted:

Ok now everyone go back to listening to Seven Second Delay.

You mean "Prank Patrol?" I'll pass, thanks.

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

im glad i called in when i did last year and talked about the movie ruudy with him.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I remember that call. I think it spawned a bit of a rant and him bringing up Rudy a couple of times to make fun of it over the course of the next month or so didn't it?

Asterios posted:

All by myself is 100% the best.

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 10:03 on Dec 20, 2013

Mico
Jan 29, 2011

A billion dollars.

Billy Gnosis posted:

Just out of curiosity, did the Mit Hamine guy call in the last few months or did he finally move on?

IIRC he was 100% permanently banned from calling in the summer. So either he gave up or AP Mike was keeping him out.

Mico
Jan 29, 2011

A billion dollars.
Also does anyone know what episode it was where the Wurster call had a detailed retelling of the Trent L. Strauss directed final episode of Laverne and Shirley (It only aired once!)

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

I was shocked to hear that Tom is married to Terre T and I had no idea this whole time. That lucky devil! Her show is great.

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Just got done listening to Yankees vs Mets, does anyone have recommendations for other early shows that have Matt Walsh / Jon Benjamin characters?

"YOU BRING A BAT, I BRING A KNIFE"
"well, to be fair, you brought both the bat and the knife"

That whole first show in the archives is pretty great, basically a two-hour improv scene with Wurster calling in every 30 minutes playing a different character.

The Bunk
Sep 15, 2007

Oh, I just don't know
where to begin.
Fun Shoe

Illinois Smith posted:

Just got done listening to Yankees vs Mets, does anyone have recommendations for other early shows that have Matt Walsh / Jon Benjamin characters?

"YOU BRING A BAT, I BRING A KNIFE"
"well, to be fair, you brought both the bat and the knife"

That whole first show in the archives is pretty great, basically a two-hour improv scene with Wurster calling in every 30 minutes playing a different character.

I remember the Gems episode with Benjamin as the Smirnoff rep. Looks like 11/20/01.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession
I think it was mentioned earlier, but the one with Jon Benjamin playing a Smirnoff Ice representative is probably the one I've relistened to the most, it's seriously hilarious. It's linked on the Best Show Gems page

edit: heh beaten