Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ALEX TRILLTON
Sep 9, 2011

IF I'M EVER A DICK ON THE INTERNET, TELL PAULSEPHIROTH'S MOM

satan!!! posted:

I want another strip with Ray and the chicken with a mixed-race child.

Honestly I really liked the stripes about The Prostitute. They were horrifying in the best possible way and I wish that they had continued for a bit longer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Like a hollow-point bullet
Straight to the head
I never missed...you

ALEX TRILLTON posted:

Honestly I really liked the stripes about The Prostitute. They were horrifying in the best possible way and I wish that they had continued for a bit longer.
It's too bad they apparently did end up spending a dollar on the Achewood machine once in a while.

tacoman165
Feb 9, 2005
Achewood: Once you get goin', don't stop, or you'll get maaaad...

qntm
Jun 17, 2009
I have discovered that the best sentences in Achewood are the ones containing the word "sentence".

http://achewood.com/index.php?date=05182004
http://achewood.com/index.php?date=02032006
http://achewood.com/index.php?date=05222007

Loving Life Partner
Apr 17, 2003

qntm posted:

I have discovered that the best sentences in Achewood are the ones containing the word "sentence".

http://achewood.com/index.php?date=05182004

gently caress, the attention to detail and timing in this strip is sublime. The panel of crinkling envelope, Ray leaning in really close to the microphone to announce the winner, it's just so god damned perfect

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

qntm posted:

http://achewood.com/index.php?date=02032006

The existence of "he was like the Thomas Edison of handing a dude his rear end" in this one begs to differ, though.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
Eh, Ray's dad, while being undeniably a man with blood on his hands, is pretty much just a violent bully.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

If we can accept a fat, classist, sexist, flakey rich guy who looks up to donald trump and has absolutely no moral fibre to speak of as a likeable protagonist and good friend, we can accept his violent bully polygamist of an absent father as an inspiring figure.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Johnny Aztec posted:

Eh, Ray's dad, while being undeniably a man with blood on his hands, is pretty much just a violent bully.
He's the man with the blood on his hands.

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.

Lurdiak posted:

If we can accept a fat, classist, sexist, flakey rich guy who looks up to donald trump and has absolutely no moral fibre to speak of as a likeable protagonist and good friend, we can accept his violent bully polygamist of an absent father as an inspiring figure.

There's also the fact that they're cats. And despite acting like humans 99% of the time, every once in a while the cat slips out. Like Ray getting on all fours and hissing during a fight, or when he had his panic over the matchstick in his rear.

Cats going around beating the crap out of other cats and making kittens with the rest is pretty normal cat behavior.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

TVs Ian posted:

There's also the fact that they're cats. And despite acting like humans 99% of the time, every once in a while the cat slips out. Like Ray getting on all fours and hissing during a fight, or when he had his panic over the matchstick in his rear.

Cats going around beating the crap out of other cats and making kittens with the rest is pretty normal cat behavior.

I like how, despite everything, Ray and Roast Beef react like actual cats to being picked up.

Loving Life Partner
Apr 17, 2003
We also get a logical glimpse of why Onstad populated his comic with stuffed animals and cats instead of humans.

Maduo
Sep 8, 2006

You see all the colors.
All of them.

The page that always reminds me they are in fact cats is when Beef gets sassy hacking a big ol website. That is a hell of a cat thing to do.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
Don't get me wrong, I love achewood. It's just fun to take the piss out of it sometimes.
Like the strip where Nice Pete shows Teodor a bagful of hands. "Oh hey, sure we'll let a homicidal, yet nicely spoken, psychopath hang around. No biggy. "

I also would wonder what his reaction would be if you were to get a somewhat mannish looking woman, and portrayed her as a man. Let'em get all friendly , then be all "SUPRISE!"
probably stabbings

He probably couldn't even process the concept of trans-people.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Johnny Aztec posted:

I like Achewood a lot but it's not on my top 500 list of "places where I want to see more trans representation".

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
No, neither do I. I am just saying that given how Pete views women(as we horrifically saw in the High School arc) that the concept would be somewhat interesting.

Although, in the Mr Band story(with the hip-hobbit), I suppose he had no trouble classifying Lyle as a woman for having opinions.
Seems to be a hardwired thing.

MY POINT IS THAT NICE PETE IS A REALLY hosed UP INDIVIDUAL!

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

Maduo posted:

The page that always reminds me they are in fact cats is when Beef gets sassy hacking a big ol website. That is a hell of a cat thing to do.

The only evidence you need of Achewood having achieved perfection is that the old password for Yahoo's computers was "yahoo".

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Straight to the head
I never missed...you

Johnny Aztec posted:

I'm sure they never figured into the honest country values that informed his upbringing. He feared his father was going to kill him just for growing Pubics, after all.

Meat Beat Agent
Aug 5, 2007

felonious assault with a sproinging boner

Penguissimo posted:

The only evidence you need of Achewood having achieved perfection is that the old password for Yahoo's computers was "yahoo".

That's what they get for relying on someone whose job title is "Chief Security Yahoo".

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

daft punk railroad posted:

That's what they get for relying on someone whose job title is "Chief Security Yahoo".

At least, Yahoo Serious got some work after his career tanked.

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Area 51. You heard of it, right?

Fallen Rib
drat you all for linking the GOF again. Every time I see even a panel, I must relive the entire experience.

This time I made it all the way to the Sound and Motion fight before I lost it. I . . . AM . . . RUUUDE!

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

Johnny Aztec posted:

MY POINT IS THAT NICE PETE IS A REALLY hosed UP INDIVIDUAL! cartoon character.

I'll queue up Braveheart and see if there is a bottle of Blue Label in my hand.

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

Cloks posted:

I'll queue up Braveheart and see if there is a bottle of Blue Label in my hand.

That is my absolute favorite achewood strip

And I kinda want to try that scrambled egg disaster now. Probably with a beer instead of whiskey though.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Evil Sagan posted:

And I kinda want to try that scrambled egg disaster now. Probably with a beer instead of whiskey though.

Seconding this.

Atmus
Mar 8, 2002
Is very bad day for you, Gregor.

Bro Enlai
Nov 9, 2008

Evil Sagan posted:

I've made it before. It's not bad so long as you take it hot, and you cook it long enough to soften the chips a bit, but not so long that they totally lose all their body.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

Bro Enlai posted:

I've made it before. It's not bad so long as you take it hot, and you cook it long enough to soften the chips a bit, but not so long that they totally lose all their body.

Don't egghead in the ghetto.

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow

Lurdiak posted:

Donald Trump...making love to...female-genitals Donald Trump. The power plant at the center of a perfect universe.

Tupperwarez
Apr 4, 2004

"phphphphphphpht"? this is what you're going with?

you sure?

Lurdiak posted:

I enjoy Ray as a character not because I think his company would be enjoyable, but rather because I enjoy seeing his company inflicted on others.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Tupperwarez posted:

I enjoy Ray as a character not because I think his company would be enjoyable, but rather because I enjoy seeing his company inflicted on others.

Case in point.

Dodgeball
Sep 24, 2003

Oh no! Dodgeball is really scary!
God, that is just the... Ray-est strip.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
I kinda love Beef's reaction to the car crash.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Oh, neat! Fifty bucks!

JessKay
Oct 16, 2011

Johnny Aztec posted:

Don't get me wrong, I love achewood. It's just fun to take the piss out of it sometimes.
Like the strip where Nice Pete shows Teodor a bagful of hands. "Oh hey, sure we'll let a homicidal, yet nicely spoken, psychopath hang around. No biggy. "

I also would wonder what his reaction would be if you were to get a somewhat mannish looking woman, and portrayed her as a man. Let'em get all friendly , then be all "SUPRISE!"
probably stabbings

Lyle, on the other hand, seems pretty okay with the concept.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

"The Maslow Agency". Achewood is so drat good in all the details.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
I poled my car the other day and all I could think of was Ray's Poem

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
I wonder what it says about Roast Beef that all his poems are about weapons hidden in food killing the eater.

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Straight to the head
I never missed...you

Pakled posted:

I wonder what it says about Roast Beef that all his poems are about weapons hidden in food killing the eater.
Roast Beef is keenly aware that we are never safe, anywhere.

Daktar
Aug 19, 2008

I done turned 'er head into a slug an' now she's a-stucked!
Worrying about sudden death from unexpected sources is Roast Beef's thing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Filthy Haiku
Oct 22, 2010

i am shattering like glass

but at least
i have

springy ride

Daktar posted:

Worrying about sudden death from unexpected sources is Roast Beef's thing

You know, Roast Beef sure does worry about death a lot for a guy who dies annually.