Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

If it's as fun as Battlestar Galactica Online, just with Star Wars skins instead, I will be happy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga
I hope it's not going to be something dumb like everyone gets Y-Wings for free and then some kid can pay $20 for a TIE-Defender :v:

Tom Brady
Oct 17, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
Mainly because I don't want to pay $20 for the TIE Defender, but,

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
If they are smart they'd best copy what they did with with the World Of MMO games.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice
I will gladly pay $20 for a TIE Defender. In fact, $30.

Also at first I was like TIE INTERCEPTORS DONT HAVE TORPEDO LAUNCHERS

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Dec 17, 2013

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga
Defenders are basically cheating and if you are a real badass starfighter pilot you fly a ship with no shields :getin:

Tom Brady
Oct 17, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

astr0man posted:

Defenders are basically cheating and if you are a real badass starfighter pilot you fly a ship with no shields :getin:

If you didn't dump shield power into engines when you were flying alliance ships you were a gigantic space pussy

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Y-TIE or bust!

for reference: http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Y-TIE
:colbert:

Tom Brady
Oct 17, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
In my day we just called that an ugly :clint:

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Nowhere near as cool as a TYE-wing :c00lbert:

Tom Brady
Oct 17, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Drone posted:

You gotta figure as a pilot you must feel like you're doing the galaxy a service by shooting down something so ugly

E: no pun intended

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

They need to put the uglies into the game somewhere down the line. Also, all of these TIE variants:

Tom Brady
Oct 17, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
I remember those missions in XWA

I seem to recall they were kind of a bitch :argh:

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

General Battuta posted:

Almost everything remotely interesting in Mass Effect can be attributed directly to other writers. Patrick Weekes and Chris L'etoile (among others) wrote a lot of the really beloved stuff. Patrick Weekes has a cool friend who deserves credit, but I can't remember his name.

Chris L'etoile was the staff writer assigned to make sure the tech was at least consistent if not plausible. He was very active on the sfconsim-l mailing list, so rest assured that Top Nerds in space geekery were consulted for ME.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
Yeah, and he was able to leverage that technical knowledge into some genuinely interesting SF when writing the Geth in Mass Effect 2. Unfortunately after he left the team almost everything he contributed in that respect was misused or discarded.

Calax
Oct 5, 2011

Conquistador posted:

I remember those missions in XWA

I seem to recall they were kind of a bitch :argh:

I always felt like they were just a gigantic plot cul-de-sac. There to provide you a reason to run around as an Xwing pilot rather than on the Otana all the time.

Also (from a few pages back): Does anyone know what the Eye of Palpatine was actually supposed to be/do? I had the Audio book when I was little and I just remember it was supposed to blow up Eden the valley of the Jedi but Callista spiked her mind into the whole thing and... yeah... I lost the first tape.

So really ALL I remember are those details, the mom-from-hell and her jedi baby (who may or may not be Triclops half sibling), and Luke being happier that a mostly dead person got downloaded into one of his students bodies, while not being sad the student died.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Calax posted:

Also (from a few pages back): Does anyone know what the Eye of Palpatine was actually supposed to be/do? I had the Audio book when I was little and I just remember it was supposed to blow up Eden the valley of the Jedi but Callista spiked her mind into the whole thing and... yeah... I lost the first tape.

I was thinking about this the other day, and how bizarre it is. From what I remember the whole point was that Palpatine and the Senate knew a bunch of Jedi kids were hanging out on the rift planet, but because he didn't want the PR of having killed Jedi kids, he built this huge superweapon in secret whose sole purpose was apparently to cruise around to various planets and pick up a few stormtroopers (and Gamorreans!?) from each so it will be super secret, and then use all that firepower to blow up a single house on that planet - again, just to kill a few Jedi kids. Although since he was worried about the backlash of killing the Jedi kids to begin with, you'd think his critics would realize that them being vaporized by a giant battlestation probably limits the number of potential suspects.

So many truly bizarre things in that book. I think that's also the one that mentions that coffee is one of the rarest, most expensive items in the galaxy? And the main villain was Palpatine's former hooker.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Calax posted:

I think it's one of those things that only would've made sense before the prequel trilogy came out (for example, the title of the book, Children of the Jedi, was meant to refer to the actual sons and daughters of members of the Jedi Order) and even then it wasn't terribly coherent.

Chairman Capone posted:

And the main villain was Palpatine's former hooker.

Gonna have to narrow it down there.

Tumblr of scotch
Mar 13, 2006

Please, don't be my neighbor.

Drone posted:

Look at how wrong you both are.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

The extra apostrophe definitely adds a lot to that one.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

That R2 unit is gonna have the time of its life :getin:

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.

Chairman Capone posted:

I was thinking about this the other day, and how bizarre it is. From what I remember the whole point was that Palpatine and the Senate knew a bunch of Jedi kids were hanging out on the rift planet, but because he didn't want the PR of having killed Jedi kids, he built this huge superweapon in secret whose sole purpose was apparently to cruise around to various planets and pick up a few stormtroopers (and Gamorreans!?) from each so it will be super secret, and then use all that firepower to blow up a single house on that planet - again, just to kill a few Jedi kids. Although since he was worried about the backlash of killing the Jedi kids to begin with, you'd think his critics would realize that them being vaporized by a giant battlestation probably limits the number of potential suspects.

So many truly bizarre things in that book. I think that's also the one that mentions that coffee is one of the rarest, most expensive items in the galaxy? And the main villain was Palpatine's former hooker.

The impression I got is that the Eye of Palpatine was meant to bombard the entire planet; Palpatine knew there were Jedi hiding there, but didn't have any real details. It wasn't just to take out a single house, rather it was more of a very primitive Death Star.

It's one of those things that doesn't work anymore now that the prequels and other books have portrayed the galaxy as being stuck in technological stasis for centuries, but at the time, the assumption that the rise of the Empire had lead to radical advances in military technology wasn't that absurd, and so the book assumes that a decades-old 'superweapon' wouldn't be that much more powerful than an ordinary modern warship.

The villan was one of the Emperor's Hands, and her supposed past as Palpatine's concubine was just a cover. There's a similar description of Mara Jade in the Thrawn trilogy, something along the lines of that anyone who wasn't in on the secret assumed she was just a bit of attractive entertainment for the Emperor.

(There needs to be a Palpatine's Angels series...)

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

The voices Marc Thompson does on the Hand of Thrawn audiobooks are pretty alright, however his Car'das sounds like Marlon Brando in The Godfather, which is kind of silly.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

He did some weird accents on the Mercy Kill audiobook. Off the top of my head, Horse Pilot was Russian, the Vong was Spanish, the shape-shifter was this really overly-dramatic ACTING!!! voice (which I actually thought was a good fit), the explosives guy was from Minnesota, and the character who's supposed to have dark skin was Jamaican (subtle...).

Tom Brady
Oct 17, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
Have I ever mentioned how hilariously terrible the voice is for the Wookiee that speaks basic in the Thrawn trilogy? Its like comically bad.

Also, those books are on youtube so you don't even have to take my word for it

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Conquistador posted:

Have I ever mentioned how hilariously terrible the voice is for the Wookiee that speaks basic in the Thrawn trilogy? Its like comically bad.

Also, those books are on youtube so you don't even have to take my word for it

It is really awful, and stands out because most of the voicework he does is about 95% right. 3P0 is a little overly prissy, and Lando a little too southern...

Honestly though, his Talon Karrde makes up for all sins.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Zothip sounds like a stereotypical pirate so that's pretty cool. The unabridged books from the 90's had Anthony Daniels and Denis Lawson so their 3PO and Wedge voices were right on.

I hope they go and do the X-Wing series next. I'd probably even buy the Jedi Academy trilogy for laughs and cheap entertainment.

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

We need more women in STEM, and by that, I mean skateboarding, television, esports, and magic.
I started Mercy Kill yesterday, and five chapters in, I have to say that I'm pretty disappointed so far given that the original Wraith Squadron books were my favorite non-Stover works in the EU. Comments and problems with it so far (spoilers, obviously):

- I have no idea what's going on because Piggy (Voort, I guess) is the point-of-view character, and apparently all of these rookies decided that he doesn't need to know jack poo poo.
- Apparently, Piggy needs to get bitched out by Bhindi (who was already a boring character during the NJO) because he doesn't immediately love the idea of working high-risk special ops missions with a member of the Yuuzhan Vong. When she asked if there was going to be a problem, Piggy should've just loving left. I would rather read about his adventures as a bored Gamorrean embittered by academia.
- Was it really necessary to gut this much of the team? Apparently, all that's left is Face and Piggy. Alright, fine, Myn and Lara weren't going to come out of hiding. Maybe Wedge is too old to do this kind of work. But Kell and Tyria were both about two decades younger than Wedge, there's no way that they couldn't have been included. Using their daughter is cool, I guess, but not the same. I hear that something lovely happened to Runt so he couldn't be included, but what about Shalla? Elassar Targon, master of the universe? Dia Passik? Hell, she married Face, she could've been used for something other than a brief mention at the start. I have to imagine that there are going to be some cameos from a few of the people I've mentioned here, but the fact that just two members of the Wraith Squadron in this book were members during the X-wing era sucks. Even adding just one more member with whom we have a history and give a poo poo about would be a huge improvement.
- If Kettch/Kolot doesn't make some sort of cameo, I'm going to be heartbroken.
- How the hell can there be a Wraith Squadron without Wes Janson!?

I'm sure Allston will turn my opinions around by the end of the book, but this is a rough start.

surf rock fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Dec 24, 2013

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga
Janson stops being a Wraith at the end of the Wraith books. He goes back to Rogue squadron when they convert the Wraiths to a full time intelligence unit.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

I didn't like Mercy Kill on the basis that I didn't read any NJO*, and the time leap is thousands of degrees of "Every thing you know is wrong!", the other major problem with Starwars EU I've found is the spawn of x and y character are now main characters! Its lazy rear end writing and ticks me off irrationally.

*I lie, I read the first half of Vector Prime, got mad and proceeded to throw it away.

Tom Brady
Oct 17, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
I had a hard time with Mercy Kill too but IIRC, it improved as you go through the book. I think it took me 2-3 attempts to fully get invested into reading it though.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

KildarX posted:

I didn't like Mercy Kill on the basis that I didn't read any NJO*, and the time leap is thousands of degrees of "Every thing you know is wrong!", the other major problem with Starwars EU I've found is the spawn of x and y character are now main characters! Its lazy rear end writing and ticks me off irrationally.

*I lie, I read the first half of Vector Prime, got mad and proceeded to throw it away.

You could probably understand Mercy Kill without having read any NJO, but what really irritated about it for me is that the plot exists solely to tie up unresolved B-storylines from Fate of the Jedi, and is entirely reliant on that lovely series, which itself is reliant on the even shittier Legacy of the Force. The other problem I had with Mercy Kill was the whole "the civilian government can't be trusted, only this tiny group of unaccountable soldiers with unlimited authority can be trusted to look after the entire population" theme, but that's present in the majority of Star Wars works and military sci-fi in general.

Tom Brady
Oct 17, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
Fate of the Jedi was such a weird rear end book series. I read every book in it and still don't really know wtf happened

chaosrefined
Dec 27, 2012
I've been given Crucible as a Christmas gift and I'll be starting it during work breaks tomorrow. Let's see just how bad this is...

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

The one thing I will say about Crucible is that I could have seen it easily being worse than it was. Which is not an endorsement of Crucible in any way.

chaosrefined
Dec 27, 2012
Judging from what I've read in this thread about it, that's high praise! It's Troy Denning, I always go in expecting the worst, especially after Invincible and Dark Nest.

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

We need more women in STEM, and by that, I mean skateboarding, television, esports, and magic.
Alright, Mercy Kill is done. My opinion of it improved somewhat as I progressed through it, but it still doesn't measure up to the original Wraith Squadron trilogy or Starfighters of Adumar. The plotting was confusing and the pacing was strange for most of the book. Heavy doses of nostalgia kept me from ever getting completely bored, admittedly. Some more thoughts, including some follow-up from my earlier post:

- Gonna be honest, I almost cheered when Bhindi died. As a character, she never grew or developed at all. She had "don't question my (obviously lovely) leadership" mode and "acting" mode. I did find it funny and a little telling that Allston decided that every single time Bhindi would need to be undercover or lighthearted, she would act like an airhead. Makes me wonder if he cared much for her character, either. I also appreciate that Allston included multiple examples of Bhindi making stupid plans that would gently caress over the team if something went wrong, Voort telling her that they should have a back-up plan, Bhindi telling him to go gently caress himself, and then something going wrong. Then, as if that wasn't enough, Voort got to lay it all out to Scut again.
- Voort's improvised dancing plan was wonderful. And unexpectedly foreshadowed! "Kura City audiences are the best audiences in the city!"
- I was grateful for the handful of flashbacks to the original Wraith Squadron characters, even if those scenes weren't that great in and of themselves. Since Allston decided to bring back just two original members for the new Wraith Squadron, he had to find some explanation for the others. Shalla getting promoted was alright, and Runt's death was understandable, if a little bullshit.
- Lara's cameo was great. I was glad that she pointed out just how much this new squadron relied on children/relatives of original members. Hell, even Runt's partner during the Yuuzhan Vong mission had the same last name as Falynn from the first book, so they were probably siblings or he was her nephew or something. It's kind of ridiculous. Also, I'm taking Voort's observation that the co-pilot chair in her shuttle smells like fur to be a nod that Kettch/Kolot is still around and kicking.
- Myri was the scene-stealer of the book for me, and she wasn't even that great. There was just something to the idea of Wedge's daughter being a professional gambler that sold it for me. "Gamble Girl" isn't bad, but her nickname should really be "Riverboat Myri."
- Scut got a little better, I guess, but he was still pretty bad. His big speech about why he thought Voort would be a lovely leader was a bunch of psychobabble bullshit. Hey, I know that you had to murder your best friend and a whole bunch of your other friends have died and you've just spent the last decade plus trying to live with those memories and deal with a bunch of lovely undergrad students taking Calculus I, but I bet you didn't loving inspire any of those students, did you?! His nerdy dad showing up and embarrassing him was fun, though.
- Would've made a little more sense for Wedge's wingman to be Wes than Tycho for the rescue, given that Wes was an ex-Wraith, but that's definitely nitpicking.
- There was a severe lack of space combat in this book. In terms of pure enjoyment, that would've made a big difference. Making the Wraiths a pure commando unit was the worst thing that ever happened to them.

In other news, this image is rad as hell:

EddieDean
Nov 17, 2009
I've read through 19 star wars (audio)books of varying levels of trash, yet I can't get through Kenobi.

I'm about 20% in but it seems like the entirety of the plot is just Kenobi bouncing into Sand People, with a supporting cast of utterly boring Tatooine merchants.

If I don't care a drat about these boring locals, is there any reason to stick around?

Tom Brady
Oct 17, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
I also stopped because of the boring locals. You arent alone

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McGann
May 19, 2003

Get up you son of a bitch! 'Cause Mickey loves you!

EddieDean posted:

If I don't care a drat about these boring locals, is there any reason to stick around?

Nope, because the entire plot is based on their dumb squabbling. Though I kind of liked the character of Orren (if I remember the name), though 'like' is probably the wrong word.

The romance plot is also stupid.

edit: I'm assuming you're going through the unabridged audiobook? That's how I slodged through it. It was enjoyable only to listen to the Obi Wan impersonation (and any scenes he is in...the rest I zoned out a bit)