Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

You know, with all the big names, and talent, and the fact that it has Batman and Superman and Wonder Woman in it, this film is doing a very impressive job of not registering on my Give-a-gently caress-ometer.

Is this the wrong reaction? Should I actually have more faith in WB/DC to bring me 2 hours of entertainment for my $12? Not banking on a "good" movie, but just the ability to make me say "Yes, I would not write a letter to WB asking for my money back." Am I the issue here? Granted, we've not seen screenshot one, the final draft hasn't been written (probably) much less leaked, but all I can manage is a half hearted "meh" at the very idea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Paul Rudd is Ant-Man.

http://variety.com/2013/film/news/paul-rudd-marvel-ant-man-1200756440/

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Awesome news, love me some Paul Rudd and he should do wonderful if they throw him in Avengers 2 or 3. They haven't mentioned which Ant-Man he is, right?

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

CzarChasm posted:

You know, with all the big names, and talent, and the fact that it has Batman and Superman and Wonder Woman in it, this film is doing a very impressive job of not registering on my Give-a-gently caress-ometer.

Is this the wrong reaction? Should I actually have more faith in WB/DC to bring me 2 hours of entertainment for my $12? Not banking on a "good" movie, but just the ability to make me say "Yes, I would not write a letter to WB asking for my money back." Am I the issue here? Granted, we've not seen screenshot one, the final draft hasn't been written (probably) much less leaked, but all I can manage is a half hearted "meh" at the very idea.

It's because this poo poo is just being thrown together. Marvel took their sweet time planning a shared universe, and DC just wants to cram the night before finals. DC movies are never all that great even when they take their time, so it doesn't really bode well for an extremely ambitious project that isn't being given the thought it deserves.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Ignite Memories posted:

It's because this poo poo is just being thrown together. Marvel took their sweet time planning a shared universe, and DC just wants to cram the night before finals.

I can just as easily say that DC's shared cinematic universe plan involved doing a team-up film to introduce the new Batman and Wonder Woman first, and then from there, they'd branch out and get their solo films. Is that the plan? Don't know, but I doubt they're in the whole "throw poo poo at the wall and see what sticks" mindset.

E the Shaggy
Mar 29, 2010

Can't wait for this and Guardians, I feel like they're going to be the shot in the arm the Marvel flicks have needed.

Yannick_B
Oct 11, 2007

teagone posted:

I can just as easily say that DC's shared cinematic universe plan involved doing a team-up film to introduce the new Batman and Wonder Woman first, and then from there, they'd branch out and get their solo films. Is that the plan? Don't know, but I doubt they're in the whole "throw poo poo at the wall and see what sticks" mindset.

They totally are. They wanted to reach the billion with Man Of Steel and haven't, so they're now throwing Batman and Wonder Woman in a Man Of Steel sequel.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Yannick_B posted:

They totally are. They wanted to reach the billion with Man Of Steel and haven't, so they're now throwing Batman and Wonder Woman in a Man Of Steel sequel.

600+ million isn't bad. I don't get what the big deal is with writing Batman into the Man of Steel sequel. Is there some significant reason for him being a character in the film that makes it a bad idea that I'm unaware of? And for all we know, Gal Gadot could have a total of 5 minutes of screen time and might not even show up in the actual WW getup.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

teagone posted:

600+ million isn't bad. I don't get what the big deal is with writing Batman into the Man of Steel sequel. Is there some significant reason for him being a character in the film that makes it a bad idea that I'm unaware of? And for all we know, Gal Gadot could have a total of 5 minutes of screen time and might not even show up in the actual WW getup.

Ben Affleck.

Ben Affleck is Batman.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Ignite Memories posted:

Ben Affleck.

Ben Affleck is Batman.

People reacted the same way when it was announced Heath Ledger, of all people, was playing the Joker.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

the new batman movies kinda sucked there i said it

Yannick_B
Oct 11, 2007

teagone posted:

Of course 600+ million isn't bad, but if you're a studio convinced they were hitting the billion, with a superhero movie that's sold as a Superman movie made by the Dark Knight people, it's bound to be a disappointment for them.
The big deal with putting Batman in the Man Of Steel sequel is that it's simply is not a Man Of Steel sequel anymore.
It didn't perform like they wanted, so instead of a Superman movie, it's now a Batman/Superman movie where Batman is played by a way bigger movie star (and one of his previous collaborators is rewriting the script)!
And they're telling us two years in advance that Wonder Woman's going to be in it! She's not showing up for 5 minutes with that type of hype.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.

teagone posted:

600+Million isn't bad, but not it's good enough. While the idea itself isn't inherently bad we suffered enough blind executive lead reactions to successful movies like "Harry Potter is a success quick find me a little magic child script, any magical child script!" that people are, probably rightfully, skeptical of the forethought involved.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Yannick_B posted:

The big deal with putting Batman in the Man Of Steel sequel is that it's simply is not a Man Of Steel sequel anymore.

Says who? If the story continues where Man of Steel left off, that's a sequel yeah? In what simple way does writing Batman in as a character make the follow up to Man of Steel not a sequel to Man of Steel?

quote:

It didn't perform like they wanted, so instead of a Superman movie, it's now a Batman/Superman movie where Batman is played by a way bigger movie star (and one of his previous collaborators is rewriting the script)! And they're telling us two years in advance that Wonder Woman's going to be in it! She's not showing up for 5 minutes with that type of hype.

So what you're saying is you know for a fact that the plan wasn't to make a Superman/Batman movie immediately following Man of Steel? And yeah, I was exaggerating about Gal Gadot's screen time. The point I was making with that is Wonder Woman's role might not be as significant. At least not for this movie.

Doc Fission
Sep 11, 2011

Tentatively excited for someone to shut down Goyer's terrible screenwriting.

Honestly, I think the biggest problem with Batman vs. Superman is just that everyone--regardless of how much they loved or hated the Nolan movies--now know what Batman fatigue feels like, and this feeling is what's making this entire concept look like a circus. And all the info leaks definitely feel like WB is just throwing poo poo everywhere and gauging public reactions. Joaquin Phoenix as Lex Luthor sounds like a goddamn brilliant idea, but also why are all these names getting dropped before we really even hear about auditions? Sloppy rear end executive work for DC's biggest franchises.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Swillkitsch posted:

Joaquin Phoenix as Lex Luthor sounds like a goddamn brilliant idea, but also why are all these names getting dropped before we really even hear about auditions? Sloppy rear end executive work for DC's biggest franchises.

I read an article elsewhere (can't seem to find it at the moment) that said Ben Affleck had already been cast as Bruce/Batman when Snyder announced the Superman/Batman film at SDCC. Also, we did hear of an audition/casting call for Bruce's love interest for the movie and we even got names of 3 actresses that were up for the character who was described as “tall, brunette, athletic and exotic.” Ended up being Gadot as WW. Maybe Phoenix is already cast and WB/DC is just slowly leaking out the info or something.

Ignite Memories posted:

Ben Affleck.

Ben Affleck is Batman.

Probably one of the best things WB/DC could do for their shared cinematic universe, if you actually think about it.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Ignite Memories posted:

the new batman movies kinda sucked there i said it

Batman Begins was the best Batman (Live action) movie. The other two Nolan movies are kinda eh..

Doc Fission
Sep 11, 2011

teagone, don't get me wrong, I want to believe as much as the next guy. I'm an obsessive trinity fan (concept, not necessarily the comic) so the fact that this movie is happening at all with !!Wonder Woman!! is a huge deal to me, heck, I'm even cautiously optimistic. I love the casting so far, but I also feel like hardline DC fans already have the deck stacked against them and should just go into this whole thing with their fingers crossed.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

One step closer to Rashida Jones being Wasp.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

Waterhaul posted:

One step closer to Rashida Jones being Wasp.

Rashida Jones aside, who the hell would play a good Janet?

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

"I'm the boss of space. That's plenty."

Dan Didio posted:

Vin Dies- *chokes on own tongue*

Morena Baccarin would be good.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Dan Didio posted:

Aubrey Plaza :v:

Edit: No, on second thought she should play Spider-Woman if that ever happens

Hakkesshu fucked around with this message at 14:12 on Dec 19, 2013

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Olivia Munn

Starsnostars
Jan 17, 2009

The Master of Magnetism
Ellen Wong.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

Batman Begins was the best Batman (Live action) movie. The other two Nolan movies are kinda eh..

Begins was alright, but like the others, hampered by its horrendous casting.

Michael Caine was the only person who deserved to be in that movie. Liam Neesons was sort of alright, but really not at his best.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

greatn posted:

Olivia Munn

Wrong Olivia.

(Olivia Wilde would be an awesome Janet)

ufarn
May 30, 2009

Ignite Memories posted:

Begins was alright, but like the others, hampered by its horrendous casting.

Michael Caine was the only person who deserved to be in that movie. Liam Neesons was sort of alright, but really not at his best.
Freeman was good, too.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

Dan Didio posted:

Honestly I have no idea but once her name was brought up it just clicked as perfect. Especially if they lean on comedy in the film.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Wrong Olivia.

(Olivia Wilde would be an awesome Janet)

Olivia Wilde is only allowed to play "Hot romantic interest in direct competition with female lead in comedy or romantic comedy" now. At least, it seems that way. (I was just trolling about Olivia Munn but no one took the bait, she'd be serviceable but no point pissing off that many nerds, plus she already has a reporter character in MCU)

greatn fucked around with this message at 15:38 on Dec 19, 2013

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
For some reason I had it in my head that I want to see Matthew McConaughey, Channing Tatum, the Rock, Mark Wahlberg, Jason Segal, Ben Stiller, Danny McBride in some kind of a superhero comedy. Or any comedy. I don't know why but I think it could be fun.

It would be great to cast Rashida Jones as the heroine in Ant Man, or any flick.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine

Gatts posted:

For some reason I had it in my head that I want to see Matthew McConaughey, Channing Tatum, the Rock, Mark Wahlberg, Jason Segal, Ben Stiller, Danny McBride in some kind of a superhero comedy. Or any comedy. I don't know why but I think it could be fun.

It would be great to cast Rashida Jones as the heroine in Ant Man, or any flick.

One day JLI will have to be made, but will it be soon enough for that cast.

Yannick_B
Oct 11, 2007

teagone posted:

Says who? If the story continues where Man of Steel left off, that's a sequel yeah? In what simple way does writing Batman in as a character make the follow up to Man of Steel not a sequel to Man of Steel?

Because it's not purely a Superman movie anymore. It's not about Superman and the Superman characters. It's going to be about Superman and Batman and Wonder Woman. That poster doesn't have Henry Cavill's face on it anymore, he's sharing it with Ben Affleck.

teagone posted:

So what you're saying is you know for a fact that the plan wasn't to make a Superman/Batman movie immediately following Man of Steel? And yeah, I was exaggerating about Gal Gadot's screen time. The point I was making with that is Wonder Woman's role might not be as significant. At least not for this movie.

It might, but they're announcing her 2 years in advance. The plans for Superman/Batman are thrown together because their comic-con announcement was a logo and like, the 9th castmember of Man Of Steel coming in to read a paragraph from DKR. That is the farthest you go from "we're a studio launching this big thing that was planned all along". If something big like the Affleck casting had been done, it would've been announced there.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

I really enjoyed Man of Steel and was never motivated enough to see any other Superman movies. The movie was obviously at least hoping to build up a shared universe considering Luthor and Wayne Industries get some mentions in the film but I wasn't expecting them to do crossover films so early.

It may end up being good, but I'd really like to see more Superman and am worried having two co-stars means less time for Clark Kent and his family and friends to be developed.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine

notthegoatseguy posted:

I really enjoyed Man of Steel and was never motivated enough to see any other Superman movies. The movie was obviously at least hoping to build up a shared universe considering Luthor and Wayne Industries get some mentions in the film but I wasn't expecting them to do crossover films so early.

It may end up being good, but I'd really like to see more Superman and am worried having two co-stars means less time for Clark Kent and his family and friends to be developed.

Stop what you're doing and go watch Superman. Just do it and you can thank me later.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Mr. Maltose posted:

Stop what you're doing and go watch Superman. Just do it and you can thank me later.

As in the 1978 film?

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Yes.

Hip-Hoptimus Rhyme
Mar 19, 2009

Gods don't make mistakes

Gatts posted:

So, Mystery Men 2?

I'd watch it, but only if they got Tom Waits to be in it again

And Geoffrey Rush

And William H Macy

Everyone, bring back everyone. I love Mystery Men

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
Well if I'm fancasting JLI with those people...

Beetle: Ben Stiller
Booster: Matthew McConaughey
Guy: Channing Tatum
Martian Manhunter: the Rock
Batman: Mark Wahlberg (like from the Other Guys)
Jason Segal: Captain Atom
Danny McBride can be a villain or Max Lord or something.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Gatts posted:

Danny McBride can be a villain or Max Lord or something.
JLI era Lobo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

redbackground posted:

JLI era Lobo

YES! Haha. He'd be awesome.

• Locked thread