Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
abagofcheetos
Oct 29, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Worked for Mario 2!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barudak
May 7, 2007

abagofcheetos posted:

Worked for Mario 2!

Well yeah cause Japanese Mario 2 is the equivalent of a terrible expansion pack for Mario made by people who have mastered the original game and think that Mario is way to easy and surely no new players will start with it.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Louisgod posted:

Who knows, it's possible that slapping Zelda on a fun albeit shallow game may be an attractive point to young gamers because it's mindless and "cool". It worked for Soul Calibur 2.

It worked for Links Crossbow Training too. Top 20 of all time Wii games, 4.80 million sold. I'm assuming nobody would have bought that if it was just some generic bow and arrow game.

Spiffo
Nov 24, 2005

Barudak posted:

Well yeah cause Japanese Mario 2 is the equivalent of a terrible expansion pack for Mario made by people who have mastered the original game and think that Mario is way to easy and surely no new players will start with it.

If you stopped at "the equivalent of a terrible expansion pack for Mario" you would accurately sum up my current feelings on the Mario and Zelda brands

They should stick them on some more weird poo poo.

edit: forgot about crossbow training. never played it, but I heard it was alright

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Conclusions posted:

To be fair though, PS4 and XBOne are in the same boat. No-one has anything truly announced for April-June yet. After the end of March at this stage, there are practically NO confirmed dates for any first party software for any of the big three.

The difference is that the WiiU is a year old, while the PS3 and Xbone are not. Also games coming out from late march onward on those systems include Titanfall, MGS 5, Watch Dogs, and games like The Witness and MLB: The Show are expected around that time as well.

So yeah, the new consoles will have games.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
Links Crossbow Training was a fun little on rails shooter that took place in the Twilight Princes universe. You could easily beat the game in about 1-2 hours I think.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

Astro7x posted:

Links Crossbow Training was a fun little on rails shooter that took place in the Twilight Princes universe. You could easily beat the game in about 1-2 hours I think.

And it was only $20 for the game and the gun so the pricepoint was perfect. I think it piggybacked on the Wii craze at the time more than it did sell on its own merits.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Yeah, it was only cool cause it was right around when the Wii just came out and people wanted Zelda NOW NOW NOW.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
Uh... Link's Crossbow Training came out a year after the Wii came out and a year after Twilight Princess.

These new eShop games are at a pretty good price point too. I don't know if I'd pay $15 for Dr. Luigi, but the NES Remix game seems interesting for what it is. Especially because i loaded up on eShop Gift Cards at Best Buy last week for 20% off. And my 3DS and Wii U balances being merged means I have a lot of eShop dollars to spend.

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die

Astro7x posted:

I don't know if I'd pay $15 for Dr. Luigi,

I'm a huge Dr. Mario fan but yeah, sheesh. If you compare the amount of content and gameplay modes you get with something like Pac Man DX ($10) vs Dr Luigi ($15) it's pretty staggering. From the trailer it looks like there's only one gameplay mode for Dr. Luigi, and the only variations on that are controls (using the touchscreen vs the buttons).

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

I'm not too fond of the new virus designs, but I noticed some modes still used the old ones. I'm not sure I'll buy it, since I already got Dr. Wario free in the first Wario Ware.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Louisgod posted:

Who knows, it's possible that slapping Zelda on a fun albeit shallow game may be an attractive point to young gamers because it's mindless and "cool". It worked for Soul Calibur 2.

Soul Calibur II had the gameplay and pedigree to back it up though. This one just looks like the billion other Dyntasy Warrior games.

Mario Kart 8 looks good so far, but they really need to top the courses in Sonic Racing Transformed. because SRT probably ranks right up there with CTR as far as cart racers that are better than Mario kart go.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Link's Crossbow Training capitalized on the Wii Zapper and Wii Rail Shooter fad. That was a real thing; the Wii seemed like the perfect system for non-lightgun rail shooters for a bit there.

What louisgod said. It was perfect because it was cheap and came with the shell at just the right time.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Heran Bago posted:

Link's Crossbow Training capitalized on the Wii Zapper and Wii Rail Shooter fad. That was a real thing; the Wii seemed like the perfect system for non-lightgun rail shooters for a bit there.

Yeah it did which was what I was really hoping for. But everything fizzled out. I thought that finally they had an excuse to release the Jurassic Park and Star trek railshooters for a quick buck, but they never materialized.

I got Link's Crossbow Training for 50 cents. The Zapper housing really did nothing

The Taint Reaper fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Dec 18, 2013

Barudak
May 7, 2007

The Taint Reaper posted:

Yeah it did which was what I was really hoping for. But everything fizzled out. I thought that finally they had an excuse to release the Jurassic Park and Star trek railshooters for a quick buck, but they never materialized.

I got Link's Crossbow Training for 50 cents. The Zapper housing really did nothing

Those games are licensing nightmares, I'd highly doubt we'd ever see them re-released unless everything ended up public domain or some sort of rights purchasing frenzy went on.

I think light-gun games on the Wii were also really bad but then again I never found the Wii to be a very fun or accurate pointing device.

Spiffo
Nov 24, 2005

The Taint Reaper posted:

Soul Calibur II had the gameplay and pedigree to back it up though. This one just looks like the billion other Dyntasy Warrior games.

If they go all the way on the Dynasty Warriors thing, it'll probably be pretty awesome. Lots of characters, lots of levels, a really rad co-op mode to play with your friends (team musou attacks own in DW a lot), some rad versus modes. Like, go all the way, get dyNASTY with this Zelda game. If they give it all the modes and features you'd get out of a DW game (even a ten year old DW game) then it'll be pretty dang cool.

I don't expect them to follow through and live up to all that though. I expect a dozen levels at best, one character (maybe a few? watch them be different links), no co-op or versus. Hopefully I'm wrong.

edit: dynasty warriors 3 had 20 stages, 40+ characters, fully functional co-op and a bunch of versus stuff. It came out for the PS2 in 2001. Come on Nintendo the bar's not that high

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Spiffo posted:

If they go all the way on the Dynasty Warriors thing, it'll probably be pretty awesome. Lots of characters, lots of levels, a really rad co-op mode to play with your friends (team musou attacks own in DW a lot), some rad versus modes. Like, go all the way, get dyNASTY with this Zelda game. If they give it all the modes and features you'd get out of a DW game (even a ten year old DW game) then it'll be pretty dang cool.

I don't expect them to follow through and live up to all that though. I expect a dozen levels at best, one character (maybe a few? watch them be different links), no co-op or versus. Hopefully I'm wrong.

edit: dynasty warriors 3 had 20 stages, 40+ characters, fully functional co-op and a bunch of versus stuff. It came out in 2001. Come on Nintendo the bar's not that high

Well the only other thing we have to go on recently is the Tekken Wii-U. That gave everyone Nintendo themed costumes.

There's been other games after that which allowed you to make you guy into a Nintendo guy but they've all been forbidden from being released in America.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

You can dress up Rayman and Glovebox like Mario & Luigi in the Wii U original Rayman Legends. Can you believe that was going to be a Wii U exclusive at one point?

whaley
Aug 13, 2000

MY DOODOO IS SPRAYING OUT

Spiffo posted:

edit: dynasty warriors 3 had 20 stages, 40+ characters, fully functional co-op and a bunch of versus stuff. It came out for the PS2 in 2001. Come on Nintendo the bar's not that high

Why are you so convinced the game won't have anything in it? They pack all the other games with stuff but suddenly this one will have one character and two levels?

Chaltab
Feb 16, 2011

So shocked someone got me an avatar!

whaley posted:

Why are you so convinced the game won't have anything in it? They pack all the other games with stuff but suddenly this one will have one character and two levels?
You do realize what thread you're in, right?

Honestly, putting aside the question of amount of content, I'm just wary because of the pedigree involved. Remember the last time Nintendo worked with Tecmo/Koei? Remember the last time Dynasty Warriors crossed over with something else?

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Chaltab posted:

Honestly, putting aside the question of amount of content, I'm just wary because of the pedigree involved. Remember the last time Nintendo worked with Tecmo/Koei? Remember the last time Dynasty Warriors crossed over with something else?

Yes it was the same as every other Dynasty Warriors. Meaning you really have to like tedious gameplay because it gets old after the first hour.

Dynasty Warriors really hasn't changed. They're upgraded even less than yearly sports titles.

TheEggsBenedict
Jan 4, 2013

if i go crazy then
will you still
call me superman

Spiffo posted:

If you stopped at "the equivalent of a terrible expansion pack for Mario" you would accurately sum up my current feelings on the Mario and Zelda brands
You haven't played A Link Between Worlds, have you?

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Chaltab posted:

You do realize what thread you're in, right?

Stop blaming Tecmo for Sakamoto being a stupid rear end in a top hat, all of their ideas to improve Other M where shot down by that moron.

And Dynasty Warriors has crossed over with a ton of poo poo, all fairly decent titles so I don't get what you're trying to say here.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Chaltab posted:

Remember the last time Nintendo worked with Tecmo/Koei?

... Yes, Pokemon Conquest? What was wrong with Pokemon Conquest aside from being a bit easy/simplistic? I thought it was about the best you could expect from a Pokemon SRPG.

Chaltab posted:

Remember the last time Dynasty Warriors crossed over with something else?

Dynasty Warriors crosses over with other stuff all the time. They recently put out another One Piece game and are on their fourth Gundam game. I'm not sure what you're referring to but for the most part they've have both good and bad games out of it.

The Taint Reaper posted:

Dynasty Warriors really hasn't changed. They're upgraded even less than yearly sports titles.

This is pretty inaccurate actually. The various Dynasty Warriors games have a lot of variation to how they play, their core mechanics, their combo systems, the features they include, and various other things. This goes double for their spinoff games where they tend to get weird and experimental with mechanics and features. Yeah, they're all 'kill a lot of motherfucker' games but they tend to switch up the mechanics, especially on spinoffs.

I'm not exactly chomping at the bit for Zelda Musou but it's pretty unlikely it is going to be lacking in content as one thing even bad Musou games do is have tons of playable poo poo.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Dec 19, 2013

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

If they're going to give the Zelda license to anyone, it should have been Platinum, since they're made up of former members of Clover, and worked on Okami. They did wolf combat a hell of a lot better than Twilight Princess, and when it comes to swordplay they don't gently caress around.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

That loving Sned posted:

If they're going to give the Zelda license to anyone, it should have been Platinum, since they're made up of former members of Clover, and worked on Okami. They did wolf combat a hell of a lot better than Twilight Princess, and when it comes to swordplay they don't gently caress around.

I can see the meeting between Kamiya and Iwata in my head already...

Iwata: "Mr. Kamiya, i'm sure that you're aware that Nintendo strives to makes our games as accessible as possi"
Kamiya: "Tell your pussy-rear end bitch fanbase to get ready a REAL Zelda game, not those baby-wagglers you've made recently."

TheEggsBenedict
Jan 4, 2013

if i go crazy then
will you still
call me superman

That loving Sned posted:

Hell yes. Okami is still the best 3D Zelda game ever made.

Equilibrium
Mar 19, 2003

by exmarx

TaurusOxford posted:

I can see the meeting between Kamiya and Iwata in my head already...

Iwata: "Mr. Kamiya, i'm sure that you're aware that Nintendo strives to makes our games as accessible as possi"
Kamiya: "Tell your pussy-rear end bitch fanbase to get ready a REAL Zelda game, not those baby-wagglers you've made recently."

Okami was disappointingly easy though. :ssh:

Still a good game.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
Interesting tidbit... in Japan if you look at PS3 vs Wii U sales launch aligned, Wii U is selling better than the PS3 did

http://nintendoenthusiast.com/news/wii-u-performing-better-playstation-3-vita-life-date-japan/

First 54 weeks (current Wii U LTD)
Wii U – 1,343,139
PS3 – 1,341,304
PSV – 1,110,333

Fully expecting you guys to prove this wrong somehow

Crowbear
Jun 17, 2009

You freak me out, man!

Astro7x posted:

Interesting tidbit... in Japan if you look at PS3 vs Wii U sales launch aligned, Wii U is selling better than the PS3 did

http://nintendoenthusiast.com/news/wii-u-performing-better-playstation-3-vita-life-date-japan/

First 54 weeks (current Wii U LTD)
Wii U – 1,343,139
PS3 – 1,341,304
PSV – 1,110,333

Fully expecting you guys to prove this wrong somehow

Nah, that checks out. The PS3 was also an unmitigated disaster its first couple of years in Japan, and only turned around because it finally started getting the lion's share of Japanese 3rd party games and because Sony took a huge bath on price cuts, neither of which Nintendo seems willing/able to do.

Japan's definitely starting to look better for the Wii U than any other region, but it'll be interesting to see how well the momentum of this holiday bump carries forward into next year.

Shangri-Law School
Feb 19, 2013

They should do what Goldeneye couldn't and put all the different Links over time in Hyrule Warriors.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

Cruel and Unusual posted:

They should do what Goldeneye couldn't and put all the different Links over time in Hyrule Warriors.

That's probably how they'll handle the character issue with the game. Each stage taking place in a different game or whatever.

Mr.Unique-Name
Jul 5, 2002

Crowbear posted:

Nah, that checks out. The PS3 was also an unmitigated disaster its first couple of years in Japan, and only turned around because it finally started getting the lion's share of Japanese 3rd party games and because Sony took a huge bath on price cuts, neither of which Nintendo seems willing/able to do.

Japan's definitely starting to look better for the Wii U than any other region, but it'll be interesting to see how well the momentum of this holiday bump carries forward into next year.

It'll probably carry it okay until the PS4 comes out.

I don't think Nintendo really intends to have the Wii U directly compete with the PS4/XBO, but unless they give it another solid price drop that's what's happening.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
So was the Square Enix stuff just for Deus Ex? I wanted to get Tomb Raider for my friend who has a Wii U, but sadly, it isn't on there.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Cruel and Unusual posted:

If only they could do what Goldeneye couldn't and put all the Bonds in with Link.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

blackguy32 posted:

So was the Square Enix stuff just for Deus Ex? I wanted to get Tomb Raider for my friend who has a Wii U, but sadly, it isn't on there.

That's it in the US. There's also Dragon Quest X and the JP versions of Call of Duty Ghosts and Skylanders if you count publishing and localization.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope
Well, as someone who is poo poo at Dynasty Warriors, Hyrule Warriors looks interesting. Maybe they casualize it enough for me to feel like a badass mowing down hundreds of enemies. Assuming I ever buy a Wii U, of course.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

TheEggsBenedict posted:

Hell yes. Okami is still the best 3D Zelda game ever made.

I thought Darksiders 1 and 2 were better.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Yea I didn't think Okami was that special either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
Darksiders actually has speaking and the main character spoke and responded to the people instead of just starring blankly at the wall like a dog.

• Locked thread